The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 4 February 2020, 08:41 PM   #1501
Oodles of Noodles
"TRF" Member

Is there any blame left to go around for the entities producing these counterfeits?
Old 4 February 2020, 08:42 PM   #1502
watchdisplay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qballdp View Post
This times 1000!!! Not to lessen the asshatery of Mr. Horology Hoax, but I squarely blame Rolex for fostering an environment where these shenanigans are the norm rather than the exception with their completely manufactured and intentional inventory shortages. If I want literally any Omega model, I could literally have one in my watchbox within an hour, likely within an hour, and for 10-30% below MSRP, from an AD. The same for virtually any other brand. But God forbid a Daytona or Submariner catches your eye. Then your only option are wait forever, or pay double for it from some back alley shyster who also demands a handjob for the privilege of doing business with him. Shame on you Rolex. I hope you're reading this.

This is hilarious! Stay on topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 February 2020, 08:42 PM   #1503
ytsethunder
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qballdp View Post
This times 1000!!! Not to lessen the asshatery of Mr. Horology Hoax, but I squarely blame Rolex for fostering an environment where these shenanigans are the norm rather than the exception with their completely manufactured and intentional inventory shortages. If I want literally any Omega model, I could literally have one in my watchbox within an hour, likely within an hour, and for 10-30% below MSRP, from an AD. The same for virtually any other brand. But God forbid a Daytona or Submariner catches your eye. Then your only option are wait forever, or pay double for it from some back alley shyster who also demands a handjob for the privilege of doing business with him. Shame on you Rolex. I hope you're reading this.

Crikey, that’s a stretch! Criminality is criminality. Rolex may have made it (slightly) easier to be a scammer, but they certainly haven’t made anyone do it.
Old 4 February 2020, 08:53 PM   #1504
vanilla.coffee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmambaz View Post
i wonder where is he now,ran overseas? or what his colleagues has to say when they see him at work

He's returning some video tapes.
Old 4 February 2020, 08:55 PM   #1505
digitalcrocodile
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperX View Post
Man, what a POS. I belong to a car forum and something like this happened....guess what we did, we all submitted our story (although I wasnt a victim) to news outlets. We knew the perp was reading...so we really wanted to make his life miserable and shame him on a national level.

Sorry if this was suggested already as I skipped through 20 pages. I see the story got picked up by a watch blog, now lets contact the big guys like Hodinkee and all else. NBC loves this stuff:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tips

You know the shitbag Chris is reading this.....so let's really give him some white hairs.
Mate, the full story hasn't come out yet. If this bloke's in hock to those bikeys in Perth he's in for a world more sh*t more than exposure in the media. We'll see how this one rolls out.
Old 4 February 2020, 09:03 PM   #1506
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
That was quick.

Old 4 February 2020, 09:07 PM   #1507
Porsche
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: and learn
Blaming Rolex? I would argue the opposite, ie. that Rolex go to great lengths to make COPYING their watches very difficult, therefore reducing fakery.
Plenty of videos out there detailing fake vs real... I think even a video by the the perp!

ROLEX --- SEIKO --- HEUER

TRF REHAUT
T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M
Old 4 February 2020, 09:54 PM   #1508
Gui Gui
"TRF" Member

Think this proves once and for all that Omega make better watches than Rolex. Too hard for the Chinese to counterfeit.
Old 4 February 2020, 09:55 PM   #1509
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oodles of Noodles View Post
Is there any way to combat these super fakes, or is this just the future that we have to live in? Have the big companies just given up in the face of counterfeiting or are they actively trying to quash it?

Get the watch inspected. Look at it through a loop. Don't buy from Facebook and with no references.
Old 4 February 2020, 09:57 PM   #1510
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gui Gui View Post
Think this proves once and for all that Omega make better watches than Rolex. Too hard for the Chinese to counterfeit.
Educate yourself.
https://youtu.be/8izNCg4-mgc
Old 4 February 2020, 09:58 PM   #1511
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

HOROLOGY HOUSE FAKE ROLEX 116500LN Serial 357Q00K9

Quote:

I personally like Omega better than Rolex, but there are super fakes for both brands. Both can be cloned and both could be used to scam people.

I think Omega and Rolex are on par as far as the watches are concerned. Rolex being far more desired and could bring in more scam victims.

Whenever there is demand, there are scam artists there. Guy I know got scammed by some sort of fake bitcoin investment.
Old 4 February 2020, 10:00 PM   #1512
Gui Gui
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb55 View Post
Right back at you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkzjjN-GDm0
Old 4 February 2020, 10:01 PM   #1513
S``
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What a ... Dumb comment...
Old 4 February 2020, 10:01 PM   #1514
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Right back at you
That'll teach me
Old 4 February 2020, 10:05 PM   #1515
Gui Gui
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S`` View Post
What a ... Dumb comment...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkzjjN-GDm0
Old 4 February 2020, 10:06 PM   #1516
S``
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe you need a video on how to be sarcastic instead?

Try harder next time.
Old 4 February 2020, 10:08 PM   #1517
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Quote:
You drink, don't write
Old 4 February 2020, 10:12 PM   #1518
Gui Gui
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S`` View Post
Maybe you need a video on how to be sarcastic instead?

Try harder next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario1971 View Post
You drink, don't write
Sure, it's my fault you didn't get the joke.

Some people are more wound up by the mention of Omega on a Rolex forum than HH's fraudulent activities!
Old 4 February 2020, 10:16 PM   #1519
ZigZagZigZag
"TRF" Member

Hi there,

I have been following this thread from the beginning and have read every single post. The whole thing is incredible, this Chris Essery is definitely a sociopath.

What also irritates me after all these days is the fact that none of the so-called and self-appointed eminences á la Hodinkee & Co. have reported on this causa. In my opinion that's a sign of moral destitution and spineless attitude.

Hoping all the people will get their money back, best of luck!
Old 4 February 2020, 10:34 PM   #1520
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller TT Jub
Quote:
Sure, it's my fault you didn't get the joke.

Some people are more wound up by the mention of Omega on a Rolex forum than HH's fraudulent activities!
Naaah, I think the point was that jokes are meant to be funny. I am sure we could use a good laugh.

No worries - we all have been there.
Old 4 February 2020, 10:40 PM   #1521
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Just checking back and see the facts are beginning to get muddled up by sniping amongst members.

So for readers of horology blogs - the good news is that TRF (thanks to the OP, the victims and the Mods here) helped expose this scam.

I know most new readers can’t go through all these posts to get the full story. But here is a good blog post that sums it all up.

https://timeandtidewatches.com/horol...rolex-daytona/

Maybe it’s time to close this one up since it has accomplished the intended purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 4 February 2020, 10:40 PM   #1522
Zebedy101
Banned

Watch: Bluesy
This will be an unpopular opinion but...I never fell for or liked the idea of Buying a Rolex or any high value item second hand...no matter what. My sentiment is that if you haven't got the full funds to walk into an AD and pay retail you have no business trying to save a few dollars looking on the grey market or second hand etc. You will never be able to replicate the knowledge that you bought it from new and you know the full history of that watch. Cant get it at the AD you say? tough ..and for those who get sucked into this hype and craze of the SS Rolex ... I don't have to much sympathy.
Old 4 February 2020, 10:48 PM   #1523
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

HOROLOGY HOUSE FAKE ROLEX 116500LN Serial 357Q00K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedy101 View Post
..and for those who get sucked into this hype and craze of the SS Rolex ... I don't have to much sympathy.
This somehow suggests the victims are partly to blame.

I have tremendous sympathy for people who got scammed, be it on a car, house, investment or a watch.

Buying watches used is a big part of the WIS community. Scams that are setup and planned can fool even seasoned watch buyers, when a reputation used falsely there is no shame on the victim.
Old 4 February 2020, 10:51 PM   #1524
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
This will be an unpopular opinion but...I never fell for or liked the idea of Buying a Rolex or any high value item second hand...no matter what. My sentiment is that if you haven't got the full funds to walk into an AD and pay retail you have no business trying to save a few dollars looking on the grey market or second hand etc. You will never be able to replicate the knowledge that you bought it from new and you know the full history of that watch. Cant get it at the AD you say? tough ..and for those who get sucked into this hype and craze of the SS Rolex ... I don't have to much sympathy.
You’re right about one thing, this will be an unpopular opinion. So let’s blame the victims, shame on them for trying to save money, how dare they, sympathy be damned.

Zebedy has been shown the door. I will not tolerate victim shaming in any way, shape or form.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
Old 4 February 2020, 10:59 PM   #1525
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaykogeki View Post
I actually missed this one. What happened to them?
Blue Fish uploaded a video having read about 5 pages into this thread and got schooled in the comments because he wasnt convinced of things (having not read further).

When pointed in the right direction he said he didnt care anyway ... then deleted the video due to everyone else saying "why make a video without actually researching things" ...

Its still on one of my browser tabs so I can still watch it/download it locally.
Old 4 February 2020, 11:00 PM   #1526
Pandacat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well if you are a collector who flips all the time, it makes sense to buy used. If your one hundred percent sure your gonna keep it, i would say buy new.
Old 4 February 2020, 11:04 PM   #1527
Gui Gui
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The wealthiest people I know are most often the ones who love to find a bargain or get a discount. Most people buying a $15K watch on the grey market have then funds to pay $18K at retail, but they choose not to.
Old 4 February 2020, 11:12 PM   #1528
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Old 4 February 2020, 11:13 PM   #1529
Ocean Wanderer
"TRF" Member

Hi everyone,

First of all, and since this is my first post on this forum, I would like to thank TRF for offering a place where everyone can speak freely about this topic. I have been following the thread since page 4 and cannot stress my sympathy enough to the victims of Chris Essery/HH.

I feel like everything on this character has pretty much already been said and so won't dwell repeating what others have expressed better than I could.

However, I would like to suggest an idea and see if it can gather some traction since more than 352,000 views (and counting) have already been made on these 51 pages alone: can a trusted member of this community help raise a fundraiser online to try to financially support the victims of this scam as it is very unlikely that they will see any money coming back from Mr Essery himself?

The key here would be trust in both the person raising the fundraiser and the persons susceptible to receive the money back to ensure that the right amount goes back to the right people.

What do you people think of this idea? I know that some might think that the money lost by the victims should be considered disposable income due to the nature of the transaction (buying a Rolex). However, I do not believe that this should be considered to be the case as some people might save for years before they can even think of buying this kind of watches.

I myself would participate to this fundraising if assurance can be given that the money would go to the victims, and seeing how this community is having each other's back, hopefully it wouldn't take long before a nice sum can be gathered to help the victims of this scam.

Thank you for your time.

Ocean Wanderer
Old 4 February 2020, 11:20 PM   #1530
lmarty
"TRF" Member

Kudos Rikki

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRikki View Post
Blue Fish uploaded a video having read about 5 pages into this thread and got schooled in the comments because he wasnt convinced of things (having not read further).

When pointed in the right direction he said he didnt care anyway ... then deleted the video due to everyone else saying "why make a video without actually researching things" ...

Its still on one of my browser tabs so I can still watch it/download it locally.
Well Done Rikki, you are better than Google Web cache!
Closed Thread

Tags
357q00k9 , chris , daytona , essery , fake rolex , fraud , horology house , horologyhouse@gmail.com , perth , scam , scammer