The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 January 2022, 09:16 AM   #31
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Yes it will. If not I’ll be back next year and say yes. Not too long before I’ll be right.
Have it on good authority that the black Deepsea is getting discontinued. If not this year then next….
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 09:17 AM   #32
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Well, I mean, no disrespect, but if each year I keep saying it'll get discontinued next year, one day I will be right.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 09:33 AM   #33
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Out of curiosity, how did you recover it?
I remember reading this story on the forum some time ago. It took me the better part of a day (on and off) to read through it but it was well worth the time

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=573127
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 09:46 AM   #34
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No one was left "holding the bag", platona prices have doubled in the last year.
Correct

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 09:49 AM   #35
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub*Man View Post
They will never discontinue the Platona because of the Muslim consumer market… Depending on how devout you are, Muslims do not wear gold (or silk for example) as it is forbidden. Therefore this market will always have a need for an extremely high end piece that isn’t gold. So platinum DD and Daytona’s will always exist for this reason.

Source: I’m just a good ole boy but I have very good friend who is from a wealthy family in the Middle East. And trust that their wealthy is different from our wealthy. It’s on a whole other level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mate, you have not been to ME or SEA, we love gold and it is worn in abundance. There might be a small group that shies away, however I can assure you it is worn extensively.

Old 4 January 2022, 10:19 AM   #36
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how did you recover it?

With Rolex UK’s help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 10:45 AM   #37
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

I've heard thee are going to be new dials for Daytona - maybe the platinum one will turn green........
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 11:28 AM   #38
Romeojk

Watch: Submariner 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
With Rolex UK’s help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just read through your story. So crazy so terrific. I’m glad you recovered some of it and the guilty got caught and punished. Cheers to a Good New Year ahead!

Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 11:35 AM   #39
HMHM
"TRF" Member

A broken clock is right twice a day. If we keep repeating that the platinum Daytona will be discontinued, eventually it will be right!
Didn’t the same rumour spread last year regarding this and the YG green dial Daytona? Even a certain well known watch personality (“dealer”) was literally frothing at his mouth hoping for both to be discontinued, only to be disappointed when it didn’t. Discontinuation rumours only serve to increase prices of the watch in the grey market.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 02:24 PM   #40
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyjo View Post
Mate, you have not been to ME or SEA, we love gold and it is worn in abundance. There might be a small group that shies away, however I can assure you it is worn extensively.

No, I have not been to ME or SEA. My friend’s family is very conservative granted and very devout, maybe that is where it comes from. However he did show me the verse in the Quran where this is referenced, so it made perfect sense to me.

Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 03:54 PM   #41
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No, I have not been to ME or SEA. My friend’s family is very conservative granted and very devout, maybe that is where it comes from. However he did show me the verse in the Quran where this is referenced, so it made perfect sense to me.

Yes, it is definitely in the Koran, but that rule isn't followed very strictly. Hope you get a chance to visit one day, it is a beautiful part of the world.

Old 4 January 2022, 04:09 PM   #42
TomLou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx 1807 President
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGRLX View Post
This. Metal cost is less than gold

Not just less …Almost half the Gold Price Per Ounce
Gold $1,811
Plat. $959
TomLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 11:23 PM   #43
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLou View Post
Gold $1,811
Plat. $959
But harder to work with
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 11:29 PM   #44
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
But harder to work with
But not twice as hard.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 11:37 PM   #45
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
But not twice as hard.
I cant comment I don't make the stuff
Old 5 January 2022, 12:06 AM   #46
TomLou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx 1807 President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
But harder to work with
You are right when it involves hand shaping Diamond wedding rings etc.
But not when presses are used as in the Rolex stamping of cases from
a solid block of platinum , screw backs and bracelet link making
TomLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 01:07 AM   #47
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are right when it involves hand shaping Diamond wedding rings etc.
But not when presses are used as in the Rolex stamping of cases from
a solid block of platinum , screw backs and bracelet link making
As above I don't make the stuff
Old 5 January 2022, 02:55 AM   #48
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyjo View Post
Yes, it is definitely in the Koran, but that rule isn't followed very strictly. Hope you get a chance to visit one day, it is a beautiful part of the world.

Understood, thanks for the feedback and educating me!

Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 03:12 AM   #49
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxtek View Post
True! If they held the "bag" long enough, they'd be golden. I heard a number of people bought, expecting to make money the day after it got discontinued. When it didn't, they sold and bailed out right away. I suspect some didn't have the funds to actually buy the watch and maybe bought on credit? Others probably didn't want to sit on that amount of money, waiting to see what was gonna happen? Then, there were others to did wait and came out ahead.
You've made six separate statements based purely on guesses, personal suspicions and speculation, and on what you heard from others who heard from others...
Old 5 January 2022, 03:41 AM   #50
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Gold $1,811
Plat. $959
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
But not twice as hard.
Not two, but three times as hard if you believe Jack Forster's article on platinum watches https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...ry-of-platinum

In all seriousness, it's a mix of perceived and real cost. Perceived in that customers are accustomed to paying more for platinum watches, and real in the sense that (1) the spot price of platinum wasn't always lower than gold (it was almost double that of gold back in 2008), (2) you're getting significantly more platinum by weight in a 950 Pt watch than gold in a 750 Au watch due to the differences in density and purity, and (3) it actually is costlier to make the same watch in platinum.
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 03:51 AM   #51
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbgysam View Post
Not two, but three times as hard if you believe Jack Forster's article on platinum watches https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...ry-of-platinum

In all seriousness, it's a mix of perceived and real cost. Perceived in that customers are accustomed to paying more for platinum watches, and real in the sense that (1) the spot price of platinum wasn't always lower than gold (it was almost double that of gold back in 2008), (2) you're getting significantly more platinum by weight in a 950 Pt watch than gold in a 750 Au watch due to the differences in density and purity, and (3) it actually is costlier to make the same watch in platinum.
Your point #3 should not be underestimated. Platinum is so much more difficult to shape than other precious metals, supposedly one of the reasons there is no fluted bezel on the platinum DD.
Old 5 January 2022, 04:17 AM   #52
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbgysam View Post

I think dial exclusivity (regardless of material of the dial) trumps in the current market. Is the dial even made from platinum? I really don't know. But if you want that shade of blue, it's platinum or bust. Or space rock mining with meteorite as the second best personal substitution!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 07:10 AM   #53
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
They will never discontinue the Platona because of the Muslim consumer market… Depending on how devout you are, Muslims do not wear gold (or silk for example) as it is forbidden. Therefore this market will always have a need for an extremely high end piece that isn’t gold. So platinum DD and Daytona’s will always exist for this reason.

Source: I’m just a good ole boy but I have very good friend who is from a wealthy family in the Middle East. And trust that their wealthy is different from our wealthy. It’s on a whole other level.

To pinpoint the Quran:
It is forbidden for Muslim men , not Muslim women.
AND, Platinum is allowed.
Why?
Men are not allowed to wear jewels (or luxury material like silk ) that are used for women (identified as women jewelry etc).
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 07:16 AM   #54
Goin2drt
Banned

It absolutely will. I heard from my brothers second cousin who was talking to this guy who heard from this Rolex forum guy that was in the back alley of an AD and heard it from the lady that was the manager of the cleaning company. Definitely DCd.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2022, 01:40 PM   #55
amgrider
"TRF" Member

116506 will be discontinued just like all other models do and once it is discontinued we ll all see the price go up even higher and the one with baguette diamonds will hit $300,000 soon after.

Just a few years ago who expected people pay 3x-4x more than retail for 116500s which is not even limited production.
Not exactly sure about numbers but I guess there will be about 100 times more of 116500s (both blk & wht) produced than 116506s (regular dial) until the current 116500s discontinues.
My local dealer said Rolex sent them almost 30 pcs of 116500s in year 2020 but the last time they received 116506 (regular dial) was late 2019.
This explains 116506 with baguette diamonds will be hundreds times rarer than 116500s.

In the past years, we learned how many people became richer and the numbers will increase and those are the people will raise the watch prices up in the future.
Once anyone become richer they will look for the rarer pcs.

Since 116506 is the anniversary model, I feel like they will discontinue it no later than 2023 which is 10 year mark.
If Rolex decide to keep plat daytona after discontinuing the current 116506, they need to add new changes to it but they cannot change color of dial bcoz it is dedicated for the platinum model.
I am assuming they will change color of ceramic bezel & subdials and maybe markers too.
amgrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 02:28 AM   #56
scharnke
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgrider View Post
116506 will be discontinued just like all other models do and once it is discontinued we ll all see the price go up even higher and the one with baguette diamonds will hit $300,000 soon after.

Just a few years ago who expected people pay 3x-4x more than retail for 116500s which is not even limited production.
Not exactly sure about numbers but I guess there will be about 100 times more of 116500s (both blk & wht) produced than 116506s (regular dial) until the current 116500s discontinues.
My local dealer said Rolex sent them almost 30 pcs of 116500s in year 2020 but the last time they received 116506 (regular dial) was late 2019.
This explains 116506 with baguette diamonds will be hundreds times rarer than 116500s.

In the past years, we learned how many people became richer and the numbers will increase and those are the people will raise the watch prices up in the future.
Once anyone become richer they will look for the rarer pcs.

Since 116506 is the anniversary model, I feel like they will discontinue it no later than 2023 which is 10 year mark.
If Rolex decide to keep plat daytona after discontinuing the current 116506, they need to add new changes to it but they cannot change color of dial bcoz it is dedicated for the platinum model.
I am assuming they will change color of ceramic bezel & subdials and maybe markers too.

Still think this, in these uncertain times ?
scharnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 02:46 AM   #57
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Quote:
No one was left "holding the bag", platona prices have doubled in the last year.
right, what bag?
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 02:49 AM   #58
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Quote:

Yeah, come to Mykonos and I will tell you if Muslims wear gold or not...
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 10:41 PM   #59
omar10213245

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:

actually, it's muslim MEN that don't wear gold, or at least, they're not supposed to. women can and often do wear gold. but your point still stands.
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2022, 10:42 PM   #60
omar10213245

Watch: Hulkerino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzachi View Post
To pinpoint the Quran:
It is forbidden for Muslim men , not Muslim women.
AND, Platinum is allowed.
Why?
Men are not allowed to wear jewels (or luxury material like silk ) that are used for women (identified as women jewelry etc).
lol i see you beat me to that last point
omar10213245 is offline   Reply With Quote