The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 October 2011, 08:19 PM   #31
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
think about it, its a marketing scam.
make a special edition the "taipei 101" or whatever. then make it as cheap as possible. then sell it very high. they thought that people would not dare crack it open.
Old 25 October 2011, 09:31 PM   #32
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftLink View Post
Ok, it's clear that the OP decorated movement is still the same than the other one, just a bit of make up applied for show. Not impressed.
No, actually it's not. It's a so rod decorated movement down to the baseplate also modified to high beat. This means it was a fully decorated and hand assembled from eubach on up from pieces then tested ay cosc, not a straight off the shelf assembled and not tested from eta.
Old 25 October 2011, 11:13 PM   #33
Ultraman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post

Unreal..
Old 25 October 2011, 11:25 PM   #34
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

OP II movement found in the 318... can be also found in the 005. Maybe, I should crack open mine and see if looks that... This blows.
Old 25 October 2011, 11:57 PM   #35
mfer
"TRF" Member

Keep the hate coming!!!! Let's drive those prices down!

Note: I am disappointed with the 318, but it is a one off. This is the only watch with this movement. The caseback would be nearly impossible to fake FWIW. Case is still flawless, dial meticulous, etc. I think this will sour the 318 in value for now, but maybe in time, it'll become a collector's piece. The Panerai flop so to speak.
member#3242
Old 26 October 2011, 12:07 AM   #36
agreenspan
"TRF" Member

The 005 has a different movement

The 005 has an OPII movement, the 318 has an OP XXIX. Besides the decoration issue, some of the parts are different, starting with the bridge plates. The OPII is also COSC certified.
Old 26 October 2011, 02:23 AM   #37
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
Lots of overreaction and excuse for haters to jump on Panerai for a snafu on a whole 150 watches. Was the same outrage given when J. Dowling popped the back on the Exp I which tens of thousands were made?
That's like saying OJ Simpson is a good human being, he only committed one murder.

This is a major screw-up in my book, without a proper explanation or excuse from Panerai this is not the type of brand I will be spending my money on.
Old 26 October 2011, 03:01 AM   #38
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That's like saying OJ Simpson is a good human being, he only committed one murder.

This is a major screw-up in my book, without a proper explanation or excuse from Panerai this is not the type of brand I will be spending my money on.
But you have no comment on the run of rough, dirty ExpI that were made? I guess that never made you not buy Rolex.
Old 26 October 2011, 03:13 AM   #39
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
it works , and well , its tough , and proven ,,,, no exposition back , so i really dont see the problem , the dial is fine , now if they had just printed the dial on a lazer printer and stuck it on i could understand. but its a fashion watch and most people wont care whats inside , after all when did you look at the chip inside your i phone.
Old 26 October 2011, 04:45 AM   #40
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But you have no comment on the run of rough, dirty ExpI that were made? I guess that never made you not buy Rolex.
I thought we were discussing Panerai and the 318 model in specific, and the news around it? I'm sure we can start another beat-a-dead-horse-thread of Walt's infamous review. I don't understand why people get so defensive around a watch/brand?
Old 26 October 2011, 04:56 AM   #41
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't understand why people get so defensive around a watch/brand?
totally agree on this point. Its a hobby and favorites change over time.
Old 26 October 2011, 05:31 AM   #42
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Definitely a disappointment. I think there greedy marketing practices are disappointing as well, limited editions commanding ridiculous premiums & oor models being subsequently released. I'm very happy with my rad210, but 1 change I would make is a solid caseback so I never had to look at the eta movement, decorated or not.
Old 26 October 2011, 07:14 AM   #43
karmatp
"TRF" Member

This is just crazy, I can't believe how worked up people are getting over a non decorated movement. Who cares, it has a low MSRP, the only people who hyped it up were the guys trying to flip them for big bucks.

The fact is that the movement is a time proven reliable movement that will last a lifetime, it had a solid case back for a reason.

I read comments like, "I will never buy a Panerai again" and can't help but think these people have really lost all perspective on what is important in this world, HINT, it's not watches or the movement inside. Is it new news that many models have ETA based movements in them???????????

I for one have no problem with ETA movements, they flat out rock. They are reliable and easy to service, what more can we ask for?

I like the option of being able to take my Panerai to my local Panerai AD and have it serviced, it is a bonus to me not a negative. My 351 has to go back to Panerai when it needs it's first service, that blows but the p.9000 is a pure joy and is proving to be a amazing and reliable in house movement.

Panerai has come a long way the past few years. Their new in house movements are amazing and they keep designing more. Their new manual wind movements are stunning, and with the price tag to go along with it.

So, you are not happy with your $5,000 Pam with a base ETA, go buy a new one with a in house manual wind movement for $10,000.
Old 26 October 2011, 10:17 AM   #44
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
This is just crazy, I can't believe how worked up people are getting over a non decorated movement. Who cares, it has a low MSRP, the only people who hyped it up were the guys trying to flip them for big bucks.

The fact is that the movement is a time proven reliable movement that will last a lifetime, it had a solid case back for a reason.

I read comments like, "I will never buy a Panerai again" and can't help but think these people have really lost all perspective on what is important in this world, HINT, it's not watches or the movement inside. Is it new news that many models have ETA based movements in them???????????

I for one have no problem with ETA movements, they flat out rock. They are reliable and easy to service, what more can we ask for?

I like the option of being able to take my Panerai to my local Panerai AD and have it serviced, it is a bonus to me not a negative. My 351 has to go back to Panerai when it needs it's first service, that blows but the p.9000 is a pure joy and is proving to be a amazing and reliable in house movement.

Panerai has come a long way the past few years. Their new in house movements are amazing and they keep designing more. Their new manual wind movements are stunning, and with the price tag to go along with it.

So, you are not happy with your $5,000 Pam with a base ETA, go buy a new one with a in house manual wind movement for $10,000.
We are not upset that it does not contain an in-house movement - given the price. We are upset because it doesn't even contain a Panerai modified ETA movement that we figured is the base movement for all Panerai watches.

That just shows callous behavior on the part of Panerai. They know we expected a Panerai modified ETA, but they chose to go with a pure off the shelf ETA in hopes that we would not notice. That's shady.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Old 26 October 2011, 10:25 AM   #45
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
easy guys.... easy.... this is not life and death... it's a tool watch. I agree for the price, come on... the movement should be dressed up better than that. I also agree we never really bought Pammies for the "movement".. so let it be.. skip the brand for 10 years if you have to.. I just enjoy wearing these clocks on my wrist and meeting some really nice fellow collectors along the way. I guess if we can protest wall street... we can protest undecorated movements under the hood! Democracy is GREAT!!

Fred
Old 26 October 2011, 11:14 AM   #46
joleel7
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, PAM, BALL
You guy are making me nervous I just bought a PAM 416 will be deliver to me tomorrow
Old 26 October 2011, 11:42 AM   #47
jvo300
"TRF" Member

This doesn't bother me in the least. If the 318 had a display back, then it would look cheap. Fortunately, it has a nice engraving on the solid case back.

I don't really understand the hostility that this issue has brought out. If you had no problem spending $5k on a watch that cost relative peanuts to produce yesterday, then whats the problem today when you realize it happened to cost a few less peanuts? Especially since the cheapness in question does not affect the form or function (unless you habitually pop off the case back) of the watch.
Old 26 October 2011, 12:08 PM   #48
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Lots of overreaction and excuse for haters to jump on Panerai for a snafu on a whole 150 watches. Was the same outrage given when J. Dowling popped the back on the Exp I which tens of thousands were made?
Not sure what you are referring to with James Dowling and the Explorer I...
Old 26 October 2011, 12:14 PM   #49
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I thought we were discussing Panerai and the 318 model in specific, and the news around it? I'm sure we can start another beat-a-dead-horse-thread of Walt's infamous review. I don't understand why people get so defensive around a watch/brand?
I am not getting defensive at all, I'm trying to bring some relativity to comments like, "I'm not buying a Panerai now" and "this proves it's a fashion brand" all of which Imply since we are here, and Rolex committed an arguably worse snafu on an order of magnitude or more that Rolex doesn't merit any criticism at all. Nearly everyone expressed their dislike for this move, some used it to go over the top without proper perspective. That is all
Old 26 October 2011, 12:20 PM   #50
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post

Trevor, i respectfully disagree
No Issue with Eta but that mov't is $100. It says alot about the practice of Panerai or the fact they have taken too much work on or forgetting their roots. Paying $5000 for a 100$ blank movement, a leather strap and a nice dial and decent SS case? come on?? Panerai were and should be better than that. Want a good and unique case, go for anonimo they are the original Panerai founders anyway who broke away after Panerai was bought by Richemont. Bronze cases..try 5 years ago by anonimo

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
Old 26 October 2011, 12:20 PM   #51
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Sorry, maybe I went over the top with the "fashion brand" comment but PAM made a big mistake here.

It shows, to me anyways, that they don't care much about being a watchmaker (on this watch anyways). How can you make something limited edition (i.e. limited means PAM should want to be proud of it) and not even care about making the watch your own? I don't mind it is an ETA movement (I was thinking of getting a 000 myself) but PAM needs to make the movement their own!
Old 26 October 2011, 01:43 PM   #52
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
easy guys.... easy.... this is not life and death... it's a tool watch. I agree for the price, come on... the movement should be dressed up better than that. I also agree we never really bought Pammies for the "movement".. so let it be.. skip the brand for 10 years if you have to.. I just enjoy wearing these clocks on my wrist and meeting some really nice fellow collectors along the way. I guess if we can protest wall street... we can protest undecorated movements under the hood! Democracy is GREAT!!

Fred
doesn't it lose the "tool watch" definition once they make it a limited edition and put ornate decoration on the case back, not to mention charging a premium for the privilege it just seems less than sincere on the part of panerai?

Fred, i do agree with you here ... "Democracy is GREAT!!"

Old 26 October 2011, 01:51 PM   #53
leeye
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many......
just gets me wondering how many other PAM models with "special" OP calibre movements exists out there. if it can happen to one it can happen to others.

i don't have my reference book with me now. will be worthwhile to do a check.
Radiomir - PAM 410
Old 26 October 2011, 01:54 PM   #54
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

This is the only one designated for that caliber.
Old 26 October 2011, 04:02 PM   #55
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Richemont just sold the Brooklyn Bridge to its fan.

How ironic is this given the case has the Brooklyn Bridge on it.
Old 26 October 2011, 04:31 PM   #56
sarir97
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω & Rolex
Does anyone read the "Watch Snob" articles on askmen.com? The "Watch Snob" recommends staying away from this watch brand. This is a direct quote: "A Panerai is child’s play -- a cheap toy worn only by clowns. Yes, I said clowns."

I suspect he might be right?
Old 26 October 2011, 05:30 PM   #57
L-16610
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarir97 View Post
Does anyone read the "Watch Snob" articles on askmen.com? The "Watch Snob" recommends staying away from this watch brand. This is a direct quote: "A Panerai is child’s play -- a cheap toy worn only by clowns. Yes, I said clowns."

I suspect he might be right?
the watchsnob is an a§§hole
I agree that this Panerai is a big mistake but 99% of their watches are great
And let's not forget Panerai made 6 inhouse movements the last years, the are a good manufacture today.
They belong to the top !
Old 26 October 2011, 05:37 PM   #58
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
Trevor, i respectfully disagree
No Issue with Eta but that mov't is $100. It says alot about the practice of Panerai or the fact they have taken too much work on or forgetting their roots. Paying $5000 for a 100$ blank movement, a leather strap and a nice dial and decent SS case? come on?? Panerai were and should be better than that. Want a good and unique case, go for anonimo they are the original Panerai founders anyway who broke away after Panerai was bought by Richemont. Bronze cases..try 5 years ago by anonimo
Trev

I'm with 'topher.

My 231 has a simple workhorse 6497.
I also have a $100 watch powered by a *6497. The difference under the loupe is chalk and cheese. The 231 is blueprinted compared to the off the shelf movement. Both will probably run for years but my bet is that the Panerai worked movement is far far superior.

* A nice size movement to take apart and 'try to' rebuild.
I don't see that much work has been done on the movement in question.
That is the issue IMO.
Of course with the 231 you also get the rose gold.

Old 26 October 2011, 06:04 PM   #59
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i love the looks and the history. there's no hate and the haters shouldnt use this a fodder. but i agree with toph. panerai should stay exclusive and distinctive.
Old 26 October 2011, 09:10 PM   #60
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolr View Post
Not sure what you are referring to with James Dowling and the Explorer I...
there was a review of the exp 1 and to cut a long story short , the watchmaker was amazed it ran let alone kept time.
its on the web iif you do a seach , certainly hasnt harmed rolex sales.
Closed Thread