The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 October 2011, 09:59 PM   #61
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
there was a review of the exp 1 and to cut a long story short , the watchmaker was amazed it ran let alone kept time.
its on the web iif you do a seach , certainly hasnt harmed rolex sales.
That review was made by Walt Odets about 15 years ago, not James Dowling. Very interesting read. IMO it has little bearing on the fact that the cal XXlX is an untouched, undecorated movement in the 318. The advertising would lead one to believe it's something somewhat special, only for the 318. It's quite evident there is nothing special about it. It certainly is not up to Panerai standards.
Old 26 October 2011, 11:18 PM   #62
rad87gn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Omega
This is shocking to me. I'd still expect it to have the basic modified by PAM movement in it.

Found this posted on a website...

- Incorporates EXCLUSIVE MOVEMENT that is not available in any other Panerai watches other than the Brooklyn Bridge (not exactly sure why) NOT COSC CERTIFIED - Panerai OP XXIX Calibre

Looks like they put the cheap movement in to keep the cost down. Now we know what that calibre consists of if it comes out in another watch.
Rolex P-Series SS GMT II Black, Rolex Y-Series Sea-Dweller, Rolex F-Series TT Blue Sub, Rolex F-Series Sub LV, Rolex D-Series Ladies SS/WG DJ for wife, Panerai K-Series PAM 112, Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono 2594.52
Old 26 October 2011, 11:49 PM   #63
mfer
"TRF" Member

This thread is entertaining to say the least.

You can call them "cheap" POS watches if you'd like, but a "fashion watch"....really?

Does these guys look like he is trying to be fashionable to you?

From Jake's Watchblog
member#3242
Old 27 October 2011, 12:03 AM   #64
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad87gn View Post
This is shocking to me. I'd still expect it to have the basic modified by PAM movement in it.

Found this posted on a website...

- Incorporates EXCLUSIVE MOVEMENT that is not available in any other Panerai watches other than the Brooklyn Bridge (not exactly sure why) NOT COSC CERTIFIED - Panerai OP XXIX Calibre

Looks like they put the cheap movement in to keep the cost down. Now we know what that calibre consists of if it comes out in another watch.
So what is the exclusive movement??? The Brooklyn Bridge???

They even rename the movement to "Panerai OP XXIX Calibre" - what??
Old 27 October 2011, 12:05 AM   #65
psv
"TRF" Member

Come on, you are not digging up those old photos again?! We all know the military history/DNA of the Panerais, that is not in question. What is being debated is why Panerai, under the stellar guidance of Richemont, would decide to throw it usual watch-making know-how and pride in quality, out the window for this specific model (318)?

Secondly, anyone shouldn't be upset that watches are referred to as "fashion" pieces these days. The same goes for Rolex, VC, PP, Lange what-have-you. There are a few of us out there who are passionate about the watches because of your general interest in horology and its history, but for 98% of watch-wearers out there, it is a fashion and/or status symbol.
Old 27 October 2011, 12:10 AM   #66
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post

You can call them "cheap" POS watches if you'd like, but a "fashion watch"....really?

From Jake's Watchblog
They do look pretty trendy to me
Old 27 October 2011, 12:10 AM   #67
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Come on, you are not digging up those old photos again?! We all know the military history/DNA of the Panerais, that is not in question. What is being debated is why Panerai, under the stellar guidance of Richemont, would decide to throw it usual watch-making know-how and pride in quality, out the window for this specific model (318)?

Secondly, anyone shouldn't be upset that watches are referred to as "fashion" pieces these days. The same goes for Rolex, VC, PP, Lange what-have-you. There are a few of us out there who are passionate about the watches because of your general interest in horology and its history, but for 98% of watch-wearers out there, it is a fashion and/or status symbol.
I'm debating that they are fashion watches. Rolex, VC, PP, Lange, etc are NOT fashion watches.
member#3242
Old 27 October 2011, 12:23 AM   #68
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm debating that they are fashion watches. Rolex, VC, PP, Lange, etc are NOT fashion watches.
I guess doesn't really matter where people buy the watch for the brand or history.

For this particular PAM, they sell "Panerai OP XXIX Calibre" misleading people who thinks it is something special and its nothing like that at all! haha
Old 27 October 2011, 12:39 AM   #69
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, they are all fashion pieces. You don't think Stallone + every hairdresser in NYC wears a Panerai because of its military pedigree? On the same token, do you really think Jay-Z tells time on his AP or Kim Kardashian cares about the history of her gold Daytona? You don't think Rolex put out fashion watches?

Most intelligent and independently thinking people I know don't wear wrist watches anymore. Ask yourself: do you change watch depending on what you wear? If the answer is yes, there is a fashion element to why you wear a watch. I'd be the first to admit that I put on a dress watch to a suit, I like wearing my Divers to jeans or shorts etc.

Still, none of this is a rationale why Panerai would put out the 318 they way they did...
Old 27 October 2011, 01:08 AM   #70
psv
"TRF" Member

And having said all of this, I still want a 372 if I can get my hands on one! :-)

Old 27 October 2011, 01:18 AM   #71
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, they are all fashion pieces. You don't think Stallone + every hairdresser in NYC wears a Panerai because of its military pedigree? On the same token, do you really think Jay-Z tells time on his AP or Kim Kardashian cares about the history of her gold Daytona? You don't think Rolex put out fashion watches?

Most intelligent and independently thinking people I know don't wear wrist watches anymore. Ask yourself: do you change watch depending on what you wear? If the answer is yes, there is a fashion element to why you wear a watch. I'd be the first to admit that I put on a dress watch to a suit, I like wearing my Divers to jeans or shorts etc.

Still, none of this is a rationale why Panerai would put out the 318 they way they did...
Let's just say our nomenclature on "fashion watches" is different from one another. You have your own and I have mine.
member#3242
Old 27 October 2011, 01:33 AM   #72
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
It was never advertised as having an inhouse, or OP something else, so what's the big deal.
The movement , with a solid case back, was not meant to be "looked at", it was meant to keep time. Pretty sure it does that.
If they'd had put that in say something with a display back, and it slipped through QC, then, yeah, Oops.
We all know Panerai, for many watches, uses less expensive movements. Not a news flash.

Member # 293
Old 27 October 2011, 01:59 AM   #73
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Think about the long term though.

You can but 2 or 3 6497 base movements while they are still cheap and just have the movement changed every 8-10 years.

That's a lifetime servicing for £300 or so, £150-200 if you do it yourself.

This one goes for £96 currently, the base one would be perhaps £20 cheaper?

Capture.JPG

Doing this would avoid the agony of having Panerai charge $5-600 to service the movement.
Old 27 October 2011, 02:03 AM   #74
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post

You can but 2 or 3 6497 base movements while they are still cheap and just have the movement changed every 8-10 years.

Attachment 232916

Doing this would avoid the agony of having Panerai charge $5-600 to service the movement.

now here is a sensible man!
Old 27 October 2011, 02:27 AM   #75
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post

Attachment 232916

Very good idea! Buy more of those "Panerai OP XXIX" calibre to service the PAM!

At least PAM isn't the sole supplier on the Panerai OP XXIX calibre!
Old 27 October 2011, 02:50 AM   #76
Chaos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexWatcher View Post
Richemont just sold the Brooklyn Bridge to its fan.

How ironic is this given the case has the Brooklyn Bridge on it.
In fact, they were to name 318 "Canal St LE", but changed their minds at last minute ....
Old 27 October 2011, 03:08 AM   #77
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
re the pics of the divers , i wonder how many would be wearing pan if they actually had to buy them as opposed to being issued with them , i do like the cheap servicing idea though.
Old 27 October 2011, 04:37 AM   #78
aboen
"TRF" Member

Quote:

From Jake's Watchblog
Those watches had undecorated off the shelf 6497 movement too?
Old 27 October 2011, 04:54 AM   #79
masterkiller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & PAM...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboen View Post
Those watches had undecorated off the shelf 6497 movement too?
Then the movements came from Rolex,

/masterkiller
Omega - Speedy PRO
Old 27 October 2011, 05:04 AM   #80
aboen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkiller View Post

/masterkiller
That's what I'm talking about...good looking inside and out
Old 27 October 2011, 05:57 AM   #81
snog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's like saying OJ Simpson is a good human being, he only committed one murder.

This is a major screw-up in my book, without a proper explanation or excuse from Panerai this is not the type of brand I will be spending my money on.

in that case he can't be that good, as he has killed at least two people.
Old 27 October 2011, 05:58 AM   #82
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
they thought that people would not dare crack it open.
Highly and incredibly unlikely. Since the case has to be opened to verify any watch's authenticity or service a watch, no one would think that.
Old 28 October 2011, 12:12 AM   #83
Carlos98326194
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing YOU!
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkiller View Post

/masterkiller
Beautiful in and out indeed
Hypothetically speaking, Would it be perfect if Panerai decided to use Rolex movement again?
Old 28 October 2011, 12:28 AM   #84
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos98326194 View Post
Beautiful in and out indeed
Hypothetically speaking, Would it be perfect if Panerai decided to use Rolex movement again?

i assume you mean this with respect to the non-in-house movements?

i dunno....i mean, it would still leave panerai open to criticism from the in-house "snobs", and, with most rolex movements being decades old, i doubt they cost THAT much more than a top ETA movement modified by panerai.

in the end, outsourcing movements has been a part of panerai's "story" since the beginning. what counts for me with respect to the movement is that it's highly reliable and robust.

Old 28 October 2011, 12:28 AM   #85
eric23
"TRF" Member

I don't see what the big deal is. most watches only have fancy movements if it has a glass back. Whats the point in a fancy movement if you can not see it? Don't they still come with a C.O.S.C. cert?
Old 28 October 2011, 03:30 AM   #86
rad87gn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric23 View Post
Don't they still come with a C.O.S.C. cert?

Panerai OP XXIX calibre is not C.O.S.C. certified.
Rolex P-Series SS GMT II Black, Rolex Y-Series Sea-Dweller, Rolex F-Series TT Blue Sub, Rolex F-Series Sub LV, Rolex D-Series Ladies SS/WG DJ for wife, Panerai K-Series PAM 112, Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono 2594.52
Old 28 October 2011, 03:42 AM   #87
canwatchco
"TRF" Member

There is more than a bit of irony here... I remember when it was released, there was a thread discussing why a premium should be paid for the watch. One of the reasons cited was the "different movement". No body knew for certain what was different about it back then lol....

Perhaps Panerai should come out with another New York Special Edition called the "Canal Street".

Truthfully, this is nothing but a blip on the Panerai radar screen. Maybe less than a blip. The average Joe who buys them keeps them and doesn't fret his decisions by reading threads on the forums. And he generally doesn't care about movement decorations....

They are simply beautiful watches!
Old 28 October 2011, 08:14 AM   #88
snog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric23 View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. most watches only have fancy movements if it has a glass back. Whats the point in a fancy movement if you can not see it? Don't they still come with a C.O.S.C. cert?
thats the point,not so much the movement is without decoration but watches over the years though, have a history of going the extra mile to make the insde look as good as the out,ETA movements come in about 5 different grades,the price from the bottom grade to the top is not that far apart,it seems Panerai has chosen to put the bottom grade into these,which mean no cosc,less PR etc,an extra $100 to buy the better ETA movement seems a small price to pay for Panerai,add to that the fact these were a limited edition and were sold as having a special movement,it makes using this movement all the more strange.
Old 28 October 2011, 12:53 PM   #89
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

I chuckle at those who would say it doesn't matter what the movement in a watch with solid case back is or looks like, just as long as it tells time and the watch looks good on the outside. To me, that's not having an appreciation for a brand and it's standards and unique qualities. Rather, to me that is the very description of a fashion watch.
Panerai doing absolutely nothing to to the base 6497, not even stamping their name on it, while touting it as an exclusive movement is IMO disgraceful. That it has been used in only 150 watches doesn't make it better. Let's hope it's the last time they use it.
I also wonder how those who minimize the use of the OP XXIX would feel if they found a similarly decorated and unmodified movement in their PAM005, 000 etc..
Old 28 October 2011, 01:59 PM   #90
aboen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolr View Post
I chuckle at those who would say it doesn't matter what the movement in a watch with solid case back is or looks like
Me too. It boggles my mind
Closed Thread