The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 December 2018, 11:42 PM   #1
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Has Rolex Ever Discontinued a Hot Model?

This is a general question instigated by the ever present threads about models being discontinued and the impact on future values. After all, this is primarily a financial forum where investors can discuss the future value potential of watches, rather than a watch enthusiast forum.

Has Rolex ever made the decision to completely curtail a model that is so hot that it never even sits on the shelf and each unit is sold to VIPs or lucky Waiting List buyers as soon as the AD receives stock? I don't mean where Rolex tweaks a hot model (for instance, adding a cerachrom bezel or new movement to Daytona), but where Rolex ceases production of a model and either retires it (when was the last time they retired a watch line?) or substantially changed it (completely changing the bezel colors, etc.)?

I have owned a Rolex since 1985, but have only been on TRF for a couple of years and never followed Rolex closely until joining here. I am sincerely interested in whether the oh-so-frequent rumors of hot watches being disco'd would be in keeping with Rolex philosophy or a complete break from their historical patterns. I have my hunches but would like to hear from others.

Old 16 December 2018, 12:43 AM   #2
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
blnr.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 12:44 AM   #3
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
blnr.
Yeah, that's my point! Why would Rolex take a watch off the market that was a hot seller? It just doesn't make any sense.
Old 16 December 2018, 12:50 AM   #4
kgglonghorn
"TRF" Member

ALL BLNR needs to go to "Vintage rolex discussion" from now on
ROFL!!!!!!!
kgglonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:03 AM   #5
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Yeah, that's my point! Why would Rolex take a watch off the market that was a hot seller? It just doesn't make any sense.
BLNR is not entire line of Rolex GMT Master II. It has only different color scheme of besel.
It was in the past when Rolex stop production of Pepsi, Coke and Root beer. Pepsi and Root beer returned. But Coke is not yet.
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:09 AM   #6
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
why does Ferrari (Enzo for example) or McLaren (F1) stop making hot sold out cars, when they could sell many more?

same reason. these are luxury items and it is all about desirability.
uhren917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:12 AM   #7
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhren917 View Post
why does Ferrari (Enzo for example) or McLaren (F1) stop making hot sold out cars, when they could sell many more?

same reason.
I know the practice exists. I am asking if Rolex has ever employed it.
Old 16 December 2018, 01:14 AM   #8
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I predict BLNR will have new movement and maybe jubilee bracelet. So from that perspective, the BLNR of today will be discontinued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:19 AM   #9
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
This is never ending story........
And no meter how you ask, it will come to the same discussion
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:19 AM   #10
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgglonghorn View Post
ALL BLNR needs to go to "Vintage rolex discussion" from now on
ROFL!!!!!!!
Vintage lol
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:27 AM   #11
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenfried29 View Post
This is never ending story........
And no meter how you ask, it will come to the same discussion
I am trying (and failing) to ask a different question that is not about current BLNR rumors but is about historical Rolex actions. But the forum will go where it wants to go. I give up.
Old 16 December 2018, 01:38 AM   #12
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

Ok, so it’s about the bad Batman again.

No business will want to discontinue a product if it sells like hotcakes, like you said. Sometimes a market niche may think it’s a hot product when in fact it is not. For example, posts on this forum may suggest Sub line is the best seller, when Datejust takes that title.

IF the rumor is true, and IF Batman has been a great seller, Rolex will ‘discontinue’ the reference number and replace it with an updated version that they believe will be a greater hit. We know the mov’t is due for an update...

I’ll hold off till Basel if I were interested...

liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:47 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Just heard from a very very reliable source they have discontinued all watches, and gone into the fairytale business.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:51 AM   #14
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
After all, this is primarily a financial forum where investors can discuss the future value potential of watches, rather than a watch enthusiast forum
Exactly right!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:56 AM   #15
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Anytime a hot model is about to get an upgrade, the old model gets discontinued. That is grounds for hype in here in hopes to get rid of new old stock at good prices before the new model becomes available at MSRP.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:00 AM   #16
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Has Rolex Ever Discontinued a Hot Model?

The OP was asking a simple question about Rolex discontinuation history (not BLNR speculation) which seems historically relevant to a forum for Rolex enthusiasts. The snarky responses don’t seem helpful and only perpetuate the ongoing discussion of the BLNR discontinuation discussion that they are making fun of.

BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:01 AM   #17
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
I am trying (and failing) to ask a different question that is not about current BLNR rumors but is about historical Rolex actions. But the forum will go where it wants to go. I give up.
Grab a cigar, a nice glass of Scotch and watch a good college football game today! You will have less drama than the responses here.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:08 AM   #18
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT1985 View Post
The OP was asking a simple question about Rolex discontinuation history (not BLNR speculation) which seems historically relevant to a forum for Rolex enthusiasts. The snarky responses don’t seem helpful and only perpetuate the ongoing discussion of the BLNR discontinuation discussion that they are making fun of.

And my post hints that discontinuations of references exist, but they have historically been followed by upgraded versions. Some upgrades are more extensive but this one seems a bit more logical. The upgrade from aluminum to cerachrom or from bakelite to aluminum many decades ago were major upgrades. A dial and movement and perhaps case is a somewhat minor upgrage depending on how you want to look at it.

The answer to his question is pretty obvious and not subjective, so we throw another bit of spice into replies. No harm done.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:10 AM   #19
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

The SD4K is the only recent short run disco'd model that I can think of, but it certainly wasn't that popular when available
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:17 AM   #20
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
The R&D cycle at companies like Rolex start years in advance. Just because we see a new model SIHH doesn’t mean that Rolex execs sit down in november and say “hey, the forums are liking this or that, lets make this”. Whatever (if anything) is released this year, last year or the year before, was conceived and developed years ago and just happens to hit the sweet spot. I don’t think that a corporate behemoth like Rolex is dynamic enough to follow short term trends and match new pieces to these current consumer trends. The only company I think that churns out fads is the Richemont Grp
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:20 AM   #21
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Correct me if I am wrong (may well be!) but am I right in saying that we have never had the current supply/demand issues for anything other than the Daytona?
That has always been hard to get, but generally other models were readily available, so were never 'hot' like they are in the current market.

I remember getting my Kermit in 2005 hoping it would go up as a limited edition (which it wasn't). The 2nd hand market was awash with them going for less than I paid for my brand new z serial.

So in answer to the OP question, I think we are in pretty unchartered waters currently.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:33 AM   #22
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I don't think Rolex has ever discontinued a hot model. Sometimes when word (REAL word) leaks out that a model is done it suddenly gets hot. Even if it was never a monster seller during it's production life. Speculators jump in looking for that quick pop in prices that come with a discontinuation. Sometimes the initial rush of speculators is all the pop the price gets, but it still gets the punters all riled up.
Old 16 December 2018, 02:37 AM   #23
BT1985
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultime View Post
Correct me if I am wrong (may well be!) but am I right in saying that we have never had the current supply/demand issues for anything other than the Daytona?
That has always been hard to get, but generally other models were readily available, so were never 'hot' like they are in the current market.

I remember getting my Kermit in 2005 hoping it would go up as a limited edition (which it wasn't). The 2nd hand market was awash with them going for less than I paid for my brand new z serial.

So in answer to the OP question, I think we are in pretty unchartered waters currently.

This is a good point and I don’t think Rolex looks at it based on what model is “hot”. I am fairly confident that in this landscape any new GMT or Sub reference would be just as “hot”.

BT1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:49 AM   #24
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

16610 LV

16710 BLRO

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:59 AM   #25
Chilly Coconut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
16610 LV

16710 BLRO

Nope. Neither was a hot seller when disco’d.
Chilly Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 03:08 AM   #26
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Welcome to the new TRF where people don’t read and just continue to spread rumors, drama, and general bullcrap. I’ve been buying Rolex watches for a little over ten years and haven’t seen a hot watch discontinued. The 16610lv and 116520 Daytona were readily available when still being produced. They didn’t become hot until this recent craze, but you probably know that. As for other models, I don’t know.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 03:10 AM   #27
ExPADIdiver
"TRF" Member

SD4k

One of the few they got right. Size was perfect, Matte dial was awesome. SO, of course they stopped making it.
ExPADIdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 03:15 AM   #28
MTBer
"TRF" Member

I can see the BLNR (and the LN) being discontinued in their current incarnation to update them to the technology and form of the current BLRO. That said, I can’t understand why Rolex seems to have a problem offering a choice of bracelets on these watches, which is obviously done on Datejusts. I absolutely love the Jubilee on my DJ36, but personally think it looks unbalanced on a ‘sports’ watch like the GMT compared to the oyster bracelet.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 03:35 AM   #29
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPADIdiver View Post
SD4k

One of the few they got right. Size was perfect, Matte dial was awesome. SO, of course they stopped making it.
Yes but it was not a popular or big seller. You could get one bnib at 8k on the forums before things went crazy.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 03:57 AM   #30
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPADIdiver View Post
SD4k

But.... at the time it was discontinued, it was in most AD cases and heavily discounted. There’s a reason they stopped it.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote