The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 December 2018, 07:15 AM   #1
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Info - Explorer II 16570 Polar

I would love to learn more about this reference and potentially buy one.

I keep finding myself looking in the FS section of the forums and only click on anything polar 16570.

So … What's stopping me? I need more information to make an informed decision. Don't say search because I have and would just like some opinions. Any and all feedback is welcomed.

This is what I "think" I know.

Movement:
They are available with both 3185 & 3186 movements which from my findings both are fine by me obviously the 86 is a bit enhanced but not a reason for me to go one direction or the other.

Dial:
Three variations here =
1. SWISS-T<25 (Tritium) polor with the yellow not for me. The lack of lume don't bother me but would be nice to have.
2. SWISS (Mostly Chroma??)
3. SWISS MADE (Chroma)

Case:
Holes vs no holes(Indifferent from my perspective)

Rehaut:
Engraved vs not(Indifferent from my perspective)

Bracelet:
SEL vs Non SEL also I think there are clasp variations.

I'm sure the serial numbers tell most of the story but I just want to make sure I fully understand the options when looking. I think from what I know now I want a swiss or swiss made dial, otherwise still confused on the rest.

Help me wrap my head around this wonderful reference, thanks all.
Old 16 December 2018, 07:22 AM   #2
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Looks like you got it right from what I have seen too.

I can recommend getting the SEL. I have no holes case but wish I'd got one with holes as it looks pretty good on strap or nato so holes would make it easier.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:02 AM   #3
Saaci
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Swiss only dial is luminova
Swiss made is superluminova (like luminova, but more super?)

Around Y series is about the end of the drilled lugs(mine is a y)

The 3186 changed from a nivarox hairspring to a parachrom hairspring. They also were able to eradicate the “wobble” of the GMT hand when using the jump hour feature.

Here’s photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:10 AM   #4
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaci View Post
Swiss only dial is luminova
Swiss made is superluminova (like luminova, but more super?)

Around Y series is about the end of the drilled lugs(mine is a y)

The 3186 changed from a nivarox hairspring to a parachrom hairspring. They also were able to eradicate the “wobble” of the GMT hand when using the jump hour feature.

Here’s photos!

Beautiful example - does this one have sel or no? Can you tell by the clasp or just serial #?
Old 16 December 2018, 08:17 AM   #5
Saaci
"TRF" Member

You can tell by the bracelet code whether it has the solid end links. This one is 78790A as you can see below. Not sure when exactly the bracelet switched on this model but I’m sure google could tell you!

Saaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 08:23 AM   #6
Chilly Coconut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Beautiful example - does this one have sel or no? Can you tell by the clasp or just serial #?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaci View Post
You can tell by the bracelet code whether it has the solid end links. This one is 78790A as you can see below. Not sure when exactly the bracelet switched on this model but I’m sure google could tell you!
Or you can tell by looking at the solid end links in the picture, clear as day. They look much different from folded end links.

As was said, that’s a beautiful example.

FYI, none of the 16570s came with Chromalight lume. The Swiss dials marked the change from Tritium to Luminova, with the Swiss Only having Super Luminova, which was simply a rebranding of the former....no change to the formulation.
Chilly Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:02 PM   #7
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Coconut View Post
Or you can tell by looking at the solid end links in the picture, clear as day. They look much different from folded end links.

As was said, that’s a beautiful example.

FYI, none of the 16570s came with Chromalight lume. The Swiss dials marked the change from Tritium to Luminova, with the Swiss Only having Super Luminova, which was simply a rebranding of the former....no change to the formulation.
How can you tell the difference so easily? Is the clasp different?
Old 16 December 2018, 02:18 PM   #8
77T

Info - Explorer II 16570 Polar

Quote:
How can you tell the difference so easily? Is the clasp different?

The tabs that look like round ears on the hollow endlinks are easy to recognize vs. the clean edge of the solid endlinks in the pictures below.

Hollow:

Solid:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:31 PM   #9
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The tabs that look like round ears on the hollow endlinks are easy to recognize vs. the clean edge of the solid endlinks in the pictures below.

Hollow:

Solid:

Cool - thank you. There are clasp variations also from the early models right?
Old 16 December 2018, 02:35 PM   #10
77T

There are different clasps over the range of the 16570 production. The one I like the most was the early ones where an owner could opt for the submariner clasp with the cold out extension.

Had one of those and wearing over a winter ski jacket was quite useful.

But all the clasps were adequate so I wouldn’t worry over that when finding one to buy.

Old 16 December 2018, 02:38 PM   #11
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hollow:

Solid:

Probably even easier to see from the top of the bracelet where it meets the case.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:42 PM   #12
jkimsc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 & 116710BLNR
I can say that since purchasing one, it hasn't left my wrist. I used to rotate my watches, but I can honestly say, except for one or two more formal occasions, this has been on my wrist on a daily basis. I went through a similar process prior to purchasing mine. I opted for the polar dial (although I'm tempted to pick another one up in black; that's how much I love this watch). Having owned mine for over a year now, the rehaut and 3186 aren't as big of a deal as I thought they would be (mine has neither and no regrets on my part). I am glad I opted for one with drilled lugs though; it really makes a significant difference in changing straps (something I find myself doing more often with this watch than any other previous watch I've owned). Simply a fantastic watch. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
jkimsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:55 PM   #13
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Probably even easier to see from the top of the bracelet where it meets the case.

Yes that’s another way too.

Hollow:

Solid:

Old 16 December 2018, 03:53 PM   #14
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes that’s another way too.

Hollow:

Solid:

That photo of SEL still confusing because of reflection?

Anyway, here is what I was wanting to illustrate on a SEL Explorer II Polar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Explorer II SEL.jpg (213.1 KB, 970 views)
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 12:33 AM   #15
77T

Well that’s fine for a no-holes case.
But a case with holes is what I was showing earlier.

Same watch just a different angle.

What it all means is that you can’t always tell a link by its cover from afar.

Old 17 December 2018, 12:58 AM   #16
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Great watch. I own this reference and it is one of my all time favorites! In my opinion, I have the best combo...it’s one of the last “hole cases” so I have the Swiss made great lume dial, but also have the eat option of switching out straps, bracelet, etc.
I like to wear mine on a NATO or leather once in a while, and the holes make that really easy. If you never plan to take it off the bracelet, the holes vs holes won’t matter to you.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:05 AM   #17
Ballzzz

I think I got it now this is a non sel a partial center link. If I turned it over I would see the bunny ears.

Could a watchmaker fit the solid link to a previous non solid bracelet to sell off high, or non original? Or would this simply make it an sel bracelet? Other than the end link is the rest of the bracelet hollow on a non sel?

Old 17 December 2018, 01:06 AM   #18
Ballzzz

Old 17 December 2018, 01:29 AM   #19
77T

Quote:

Is that the particular one you’re looking to buy? If so, it has a badly refinished bezel and that would make me pause to consider what else might be poorly done.

Even a 20+ year old Expl. II bezel with lots of wear should have more crisp enameled numbers and markers.

Old 17 December 2018, 01:36 AM   #20
Ballzzz

Quote:
Is that the particular one you’re looking to buy? If so, it has a badly refinished bezel and that would make me pause to consider what else might be poorly done.

Even a 20+ year old Expl. II bezel with lots of wear should have more crisp enameled numbers and markers.

No, thanks for the word of caution. I am not in a rush nor have any hot leads plus I want white even though black is nice also. I simply posted this pic for end link reference.
Old 17 December 2018, 01:37 AM   #21
JJG
"TRF" Member

One small detail... at the end of the run of 40mm Polars, the black rim of the hour markers was narrower. I liked the look.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 01:46 AM   #22
77T

Quote:
No, thanks for the word of caution. I am not in a rush nor have any hot leads plus I want white even though black is nice also. I simply posted this pic for end link reference.

Good deal - my first Rolex was an A s/n Polar Expl. II and it was a constant daily worn companion for 10 straight years. Long gone now but it started this great trek with Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
One small detail... at the end of the run of 40mm Polars, the black rim of the hour markers was narrower. I liked the look.

Yes - there are also many dial differences over the Expl. II history. And bracelets too.

BTW, the last of the 16570 series before the 2011 40th Anniversary has a strong following. Especially among those who like the 40mm case size vs. 42mm new cases.

I think it would be a great project for some WIS to assemble all the dial, bezel, movement, bracelet, clasp changes over the years in one monograph. Right now it’s a hodge-podge of different historical snips.

Old 17 December 2018, 03:01 AM   #23
Ballzzz

Quote:

I think it would be a great project for some WIS to assemble all the dial, bezel, movement, bracelet, clasp changes over the years in one monograph. Right now it’s a hodge-podge of different historical snips.

Exactly, this thread would only exist with a fellow WIS calling me a weiner and linking that thread. One day, this thread can help a bit, it has definitely helped me some.
Old 17 December 2018, 04:16 AM   #24
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I went through similar thought process as OP and in the end, decided I wanted drilled holes, Swiss made dial, and SELs... happy w my choice, and while I usually have it on bracelet, have been wearing it this past weak on a strap. circa year 2000:

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 04:29 AM   #25
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I went through similar thought process as OP and in the end, decided I wanted drilled holes, Swiss made dial, and SELs... happy w my choice, and while I usually have it on bracelet, have been wearing it this past weak on a strap. circa year 2000:

Love the Erika’s original strap.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 05:53 AM   #26
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
Love the Erika’s original strap.

Thanks!
Huge fan of these straps- super comfortable, great for small wrists, reasonably priced. (Sorry for the brief digression, OP!)

Old 17 December 2018, 06:45 AM   #27
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Thanks!
Huge fan of these straps- super comfortable, great for small wrists, reasonably priced. (Sorry for the brief digression, OP!)

No worries. Watch looks great BTW! Seems like I may be looking for exactly your spec.

A few more questions for any takers, did any of these references have the etched coronet on the crystal?

If the watch has SEL’s is it just the end links that vary or the entire bracelet is more “solid”?
Old 17 December 2018, 07:04 AM   #28
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No worries. Watch looks great BTW! Seems like I may be looking for exactly your spec.

A few more questions for any takers, did any of these references have the etched coronet on the crystal?

If the watch has SEL’s is it just the end links that vary or the entire bracelet is more “solid”?

Mine has the etched coronet

Old 17 December 2018, 07:20 AM   #29
Chilly Coconut
Banned

Quote:

The LEC started in around 2001, either K or Y serial, I believe. So from there forward they will have it.

The rest of the bracelets are the same. Only the end links vary.
Chilly Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 10:07 AM   #30
ejj
"TRF" Member

These are so easy to wear. I have the black face, but I love the case/design. After reading about the 3835/3836 changes I opted for the cheaper model. I also prefer the non-engraved rehaut for less bling. SEL no holes. I’d have gone with either for holes, but I wanted the SEL. Great watch.
ejj is offline   Reply With Quote