The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 December 2018, 02:57 AM   #1
Dp53
"TRF" Member

Gmt 2018.

No doubt this is a well flogged topic but I’ll continue anyway. Since trying to purchase a new GMT 2018 through dozens of dealers in the Uk without success other than being put on a 5 -10 year waiting list. If I want to pay up to double the dealer price I could probably have one within 10 days from some grey source or someone flipping one to make a profit. How many watches do Rolex make per year? It would be interesting to compare the waiting lists against actual production quantities over the years. Also the price now will not be what you pay after the waiting time price increases. To ask a customer to wait a few months, up to a year perhaps may be acceptable but not into years. In many cases I believe the dealers waiting lists are nonsense, if they have the watch in the safe and somebody comes through the door wanting the watch it will be sold, without looking at the waiting lists. Rolex are just not worth the wait, or the time invested in trying to source one.
Dp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 03:03 AM   #2
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dp53 View Post
How many watches do Rolex make per year?
The question, rather, in this case - how many GMTs do Rolex make per year.
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 03:04 AM   #3
exador
Banned

Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately you picked the wrong moment in history to become a new Rolex owner...
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 03:07 AM   #4
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Supply and demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 03:08 AM   #5
LittleGothamDragon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
welcome to the forums. Unfortunately you picked the wrong moment in history to become a new rolex owner...
+1
LittleGothamDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 03:12 AM   #6
mistercoach32
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Rolex are just not worth the wait, or the time invested in trying to source one.
If waiting or paying a premium aren't worth it to you, then it looks like your options are limited to move on to another model or another brand.
mistercoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 03:14 AM   #7
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Go to Davidsw.com. Just pick one up from
Him. He has treated me well and avoid the AD headache. The authorized dealers do not give a crap about new Rolex guys. Most don’t care to spend the time to talk Rolex with you. Based on my experience. There is plenty of great online dealers such as above. Partner with this guys get your watch tax free wear and enjoy. I have had Rolex for a very long time but just got back into the market only to discover this terrible situation of lack of inventory and dealers playing favorites. It’s so crappy. Use this forum to find the answers. You will find most of us are supportive where as a few members like to just pee on parades. I have turned to non AD People for watches out of frustration with Rolex stores. You can find plenty new in the box gmt online.
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 03:15 AM   #8
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
You can get lots of stainless products on line
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 03:15 AM   #9
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercoach32 View Post
If waiting or paying a premium aren't worth it to you, then it looks like your options are limited to move on to another model or another brand.

OP could consider an earlier ref too. The 16710 GMTs from circa ‘97 can be easily found for the retail price of a 2018 GMT.

Old 17 December 2018, 03:17 AM   #10
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Its a seller's market at present...basically pay to play or wait it out are the only options.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 03:25 AM   #11
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...ed-forces.html

Old 17 December 2018, 03:27 AM   #12
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No doubt this is a well flogged topic but I’ll continue anyway. Since trying to purchase a new GMT 2018 through dozens of dealers in the Uk without success other than being put on a 5 -10 year waiting list. If I want to pay up to double the dealer price I could probably have one within 10 days from some grey source or someone flipping one to make a profit. How many watches do Rolex make per year? It would be interesting to compare the waiting lists against actual production quantities over the years. Also the price now will not be what you pay after the waiting time price increases. To ask a customer to wait a few months, up to a year perhaps may be acceptable but not into years. In many cases I believe the dealers waiting lists are nonsense, if they have the watch in the safe and somebody comes through the door wanting the watch it will be sold, without looking at the waiting lists. Rolex are just not worth the wait, or the time invested in trying to source one.
My anecdotal experience is that ADs largely mislead consumers when it comes to stainless steel Rolex availability this past year or so. My local family owned AD has been very frank with me regarding wait times. Either there is a huge disparities in wait times for pieces or someone isn't telling the truth. I also completely reject the notion that an AD require that a buyer spend a certain amount of money before being allowed the "privilege" to buy a stainless Rolex. I do understand ADs reserving their inventory for established customers.

What does this all translate to? I'd pay the slight premium over MSRP if you want a GMT-Master II today. Grey dealers are not bound by MSRP and you can't applaud them for all the years they offered us deals due to surplus and then heckle them now that inventory is tougher to get and demand is higher. I personally don't believe in paying over MSRP for a Rolex, but I also haven't come across anything I've wanted bad enough. If you want something that bad, you won't miss the premium you pay to get it now.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 03:33 AM   #13
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Supply and demand

In the modern modular instant gratification world waiting a bit for something of quality and value is perhaps a good thing .Yearning,saving and waiting makes one appreciate it so much more ...

I remember as a child looking at the Rolexes through the windows of jewellery shops and only being able to afford one at the age of 32.It was a wonderful feeling to get that first one.

I think Rolex understands this concept more than anyone realizes.Rolex is a charity,not purely profit driven.They sponsor excellence.Their product is quality.

Their best advertisement is the likes of Pepsi GMT watches at secondary market dealers at insanely inflated prices.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 03:36 AM   #14
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I'd pay the slight premium over MSRP if you want a GMT-Master II today.
Premium is currently $7K on the BLRO. Better than the $12K just 6 months ago though
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 04:07 AM   #15
Dp53
"TRF" Member

We all seem to be on the same page, more or less. I have previously bought Rolex which gave me the advantage that the said dealers would put me on the waiting list, other than this you were shown the door. While I was talking to one dealer the assistant spotted a “regular customer and collector” I wasn’t cut short but you know the rest. I noticed he was taken to one side and no doubt shown the special stock, favouritism at its best. Yes dealers do mislead customers. I don’t want a GMT that badly and won’t pay premium prices, I have two and tempted to sell and go elsewhere, there are other good watches other than the demand/investment of Rolex but they are a nice product to wear. On the suggestion of buying on line many of these suppliers are using the market demand to cash in. I will investigate the on line suppliers but not expecting much.
Old 17 December 2018, 04:12 AM   #16
Dp53
"TRF" Member

Additional to the Rolex GMT supply and demand Tudor seems to be in a similar position. Rox dealer wants 50% deposit and stating a five year wait for the Tudor GMT and the 58 models.
Old 17 December 2018, 04:15 AM   #17
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
We all seem to be on the same page, more or less. I have previously bought Rolex which gave me the advantage that the said dealers would put me on the waiting list, other than this you were shown the door. While I was talking to one dealer the assistant spotted a “regular customer and collector” I wasn’t cut short but you know the rest. I noticed he was taken to one side and no doubt shown the special stock, favouritism at its best. Yes dealers do mislead customers. I don’t want a GMT that badly and won’t pay premium prices, I have two and tempted to sell and go elsewhere, there are other good watches other than the demand/investment of Rolex but they are a nice product to wear. On the suggestion of buying on line many of these suppliers are using the market demand to cash in. I will investigate the on line suppliers but not expecting much.
How many ADs in the UK are family owned ?
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 04:43 AM   #18
Sprta
"TRF" Member

This subject has been discussed so many times, exactly what information/advice are you looking for, because its been discussed over and over. Whomever an AD deems a good customer regardless of their criteria for defining them, will get the opportunity to purchase the hard to get watches.
This is the environment and all these threads are not going to change anything or improve your chances of purchasing a hard to acquire Rolex.
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 05:02 AM   #19
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Premium is currently $7K on the BLRO. Better than the $12K just 6 months ago though
True, I didn't see the OP explicitly state that he wants the BLRO. Certainly the BLNR and even the LN have premiums but probably less so. Your point is certainly well taken though, 7k is more than a slight premium. I think that will continue to normalize as the model hits the market more and more over the next year.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote