The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 3 May 2009, 12:57 AM   #121
Fred_Tan
Banned

Watch: Bumble Bee
Dun get me wrong, DSSD came out too late

If only they came out w DSSD in 1997...

But, they never did.

They let Panerai came out with so many cult model in 44 & 47mm and from 30m to 2500m in PAM1, 2, 4, 9, 16, 22, 26, 28, 36, 56, 115, 117, 127, 187, 194, 201, 202, 203, 217, 232, 233, 239, 243, 249, 262, 270, 292, 317 & etc before they decided to plug the mart loss.

They let AP came out with EOD & T3.

They let Patek run away with Nauts 3800, 5711, 5712 & 5980.

Dun get me wrong cos I totally agree SD, DSSD, Sub, Sub-Date, Ex2, Daytona & etc from Rolex are very good watches with popularity good design, technology, history & marketing.

But with Patek Philippe Nautilus exploits in 1970s to introduce the 1st real high-end sports watch and later Audemars Piguet ROO advent in End-of-Days, T3 & Alinghi in 1990s, Rolex found themselves squeeze from both ends of the mart with the lower end pressure coming from Panerai, Breitling, Omega & TAG.

One cannot ignore PP Nautilus, AP RB & Alinghi & OP manual models still do not offer any discount today amidst the depression globally while Rolex are offering 5 - 15% discount on all models including DSSD, SD, Sub-Date, Ex2, GMT2c & Milgauss.

I walked into not less than 50 ADs in USA, Europe, Asia, Middle East & Africas and are shocked to see M series Milgauss GV, Sub-Date LV, Black, Ex 2, GMT2c, DSSD & etc still sitting on the display shelf with no buyer even after 15% discount offers since Jan-09.

On AP & PP, you do see price dropping in AD but still above MSRP or at MSRP during the same time.

I personally think the reasons Rolex are suffering lack-lustre popularity are simple :
- Too slow to introduce any new design; nothing to shout aside from changes in Blue parachrome mainspring that took >25 years to surface
- Nothing new to shout bout aside from going deeper with DSSD and new Yachtmaster
- No millesimation number to control production - too many being made
- No appeal to younger generation - even existing Rolex fans like me are sick & tired of Rolex
- Too many ads; for many people, individuality is very important; the more ads blitz u do, the more people who thinks exclusivity is very important will get turned off by the media blitz. Rolex is fast becoming another Omega....
- Lack of special edition. And, special edition like Sub-Date LV are not discontinued even after thousands are made....why called it LV when it's nothing special?
- Too many events tied to Rolex; PGA Golf, Regatta....why they still need to sponsor so many events when even a yak shephard in Bhutan knows the brand?
- Why not spend the ads & event sponsorship $ on perpetual calendar, annual calendar or make something new? Why stopped at perpetual oyster since 1940s? Why stop making new breakthru since then? Has the world stop the time for Rolex?
- Too many ambassadors....why is Rolex trying to out-gun Omega & TAG on the number of ambassadors they hire? Do we really need winners to show Rolex is good?

What I can say is, many Rolex fans here in this very forum are moving to other brands......
It wont be long before we see this brand offering 30-60% discount ala BRM, Breiling, Glassutte, Lange & etc.

All this is my personal take....
Fred_Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2009, 01:21 AM   #122
housemad
Banned

Watch: Graham chr.GMT O/S
Why sponsoring so many events??? because Rolex have to pay theses buildings!!!IMG_1133.jpg
housemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2009, 01:26 AM   #123
housemad
Banned

Quote: - Lack of special edition. And, special edition like Sub-Date LV are not discontinued even after thousands are made....why called it LV when it's nothing special?

Fred...Panerai does the same thing...they just change the color of a needle and sold you the watch as special edition with the same ETA movement as a base pam for tripple the price!!!
Old 3 May 2009, 01:30 AM   #124
housemad
Banned

I'm sorry Fred but Panerai are no better...they created an artificial rarety on the products so some stupids peoples will buy the god dam watch for 10 times the price it worth!

I dont mind bashing Rolex...but Panerai is just brilliant marketing...thats all.
Old 3 May 2009, 01:36 AM   #125
Fred_Tan
Banned

Luckily, e plame in e background dun'be Rolex logos

Quote:
Originally Posted by housemad View Post
I'm sorry Fred but Panerai are no better...they created an artificial rarety on the products so some stupids peoples will buy the god dam watch for 10 times the price it worth!

I dont mind bashing Rolex...but Panerai is just brilliant marketing...thats all.

No worries, all watches are mart ploy....just tat Rolex is bit over , actually a lot overboard
Old 3 May 2009, 01:38 AM   #126
Fred_Tan
Banned

True, at least for Panerai, u have slight change every year

Quote:
Quote: - Lack of special edition. And, special edition like Sub-Date LV are not discontinued even after thousands are made....why called it LV when it's nothing special?

Fred...Panerai does the same thing...they just change the color of a needle and sold you the watch as special edition with the same ETA movement as a base pam for tripple the price!!!

With Rolex, it'll be at least 10 years....
Old 3 May 2009, 01:40 AM   #127
Fred_Tan
Banned

Well, I invite you over to tell that to all the Ristis in Paneristi.com

Quote:

We'll see who get bashed...
Old 3 May 2009, 02:00 AM   #128
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Settle down boys,settle down.It comes down to personal taste and what we, as individuals ,prefer.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2009, 03:53 AM   #129
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Settle down boys,settle down.It comes down to personal taste and what we, as individuals ,prefer.
Amen with that.
BTW I was a Rolex Geek before DAMN Panerai bugs bitten me so hard!!!
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2009, 04:13 AM   #130
Nica64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
X3, There's room for both brands to be love and cherish...... but for now my heart, wrist and money has move to Panerai
Old 3 May 2009, 04:36 AM   #131
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nica64 View Post
X3, There's room for both brands to be love and cherish...... but for now my heart, wrist and money has move to Panerai
So do I, Buddy...
Old 3 May 2009, 10:54 AM   #132
housemad
Banned

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Tan View Post
We'll see who get bashed...
I am a paneristi member already and everyone who know me there... know my opinion on Panerai...and how that tobacco compagny turn Panerai like a fisherman attracted fishes in the oceans!!! I personnaly got over Panerai long ago...I had 9 Panerai watches before the ones I have ...I even had a Pam002A...dont get me wrong...I still love the brand...I just see them with different eyes today...and they dont attract me like a fish on a hook anymore at any price!
Old 3 May 2009, 12:17 PM   #133
brainbizz

Somebody fill me in please. What does a tobacco company have to do with panerai? I was just discussing things with someone up the Panerai food chain and they did say Asia was getting more but Panerai will be shipping fewer watches overall. IMHO a watch is worth what someone will pay for it. Panerai has taken a lesson from Ferrari if 500 people want a watch they will make 499.
brainbizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2009, 01:51 PM   #134
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am a paneristi member already and everyone who know me there... know my opinion on Panerai...and how that tobacco compagny turn Panerai like a fisherman attracted fishes in the oceans!!! I personnaly got over Panerai long ago...I had 9 Panerai watches before the ones I have ...I even had a Pam002A...dont get me wrong...I still love the brand...I just see them with different eyes today...and they dont attract me like a fish on a hook anymore at any price!
Never knew you caught "fishes" with tobacco !!! ...

I think you need to go and do your homework on who runs who.BAT(British American Tobacco) has nothing to do with Panerai.Richemont through Vendome owns Panerai/Cartier/IWC etc.etc.etc...and Reinette bought over some funds from the dead and first to go Lehman Bros.....at a bargain price.Just like Johann Rupert bought Panerai VERY inexpensively,after a client visited his Zurich office with a Pre-V Panerai and obviously owning so many luxury brands,asked him out about the watch.....and bought the name soon afterwards. Lucky us !!!

Old 3 May 2009, 01:59 PM   #135
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbizz View Post
Somebody fill me in please. What does a tobacco company have to do with panerai? I was just discussing things with someone up the Panerai food chain and they did say Asia was getting more but Panerai will be shipping fewer watches overall. IMHO a watch is worth what someone will pay for it. Panerai has taken a lesson from Ferrari if 500 people want a watch they will make 499.
Topman at Richemont owns quite a few vintage Ferraris.See the connection between Panerai and the Ferrari line of watches??

I can see at my AD,that the Panerai display is fuller than usual.Quite a nice selection available,where in the past they have had a situation where they only had two or three in stock.Thats the advantage of a recession...... Choices are more and the chance of a bigger discount too !! Its a buyers market.
Old 3 May 2009, 03:03 PM   #136
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Topman at Richemont owns quite a few vintage Ferraris.See the connection between Panerai and the Ferrari line of watches??

I can see at my AD,that the Panerai display is fuller than usual.Quite a nice selection available,where in the past they have had a situation where they only had two or three in stock.Thats the advantage of a recession...... Choices are more and the chance of a bigger discount too !! Its a buyers market.
Where's your Ferrari then

And how do you know that the added supply of more stock to your retailer is not a function of increased production capacity by Panerai, or that he just received a normal shipment and you got in first. All as I'm saying there could be a number of factors bringing abou that situation that are additional too or not the result of the current economic situation.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2009, 03:35 PM   #137
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

With PAM - the production numbers are known. I don't think it could be an increase in production. Unless you count new models as increase in production - shifting from old models to new - leaving old models in the cases. In that case, you would also have to look at the number of models that fall off production as well because they simply are not produced any longer and unavailable.

Unfortunately, I don't see an increase in availablility at the AD's in So. California. Wish that were the case - I also, have not had luck in CA with discounts...
Old 3 May 2009, 03:42 PM   #138
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Where's your Ferrari then

And how do you know that the added supply of more stock to your retailer is not a function of increased production capacity by Panerai, or that he just received a normal shipment and you got in first. All as I'm saying there could be a number of factors bringing abou that situation that are additional too or not the result of the current economic situation.
A few models went up in numbers produced,but that doesnt explain the high stock.I also dont visit once,I go there often,so its got nothing to do with them just receiving a shipment.
They are still smiling,make no mistake.They are selling well.... Panerai especially,but the current economic downturn has its effect.No question.Good,because if you are buying,its to your advantage.

Old 3 May 2009, 05:00 PM   #139
Lol-x
Facilitator

O.K. I guess you showed me to be wrong and I respect that

But to restore my honour and self-dignity I need to you back somehow

O.K. I'm in a good mood today

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2009, 05:18 PM   #140
Fred_Tan
Banned

You guys are good people

At the end of the day, all of us are watch fans....we are lovers of good design....
Old 3 May 2009, 05:43 PM   #141
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Tan View Post
At the end of the day, all of us are watch fans....we are lovers of good design....
Absolutely agree with you, Fred!!!
Old 3 May 2009, 11:04 PM   #142
brainbizz

Here is a pic I had sitting around. I absolutely see styling after the cars and after Panerais.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00fer5.jpg (39.9 KB, 102 views)
brainbizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2009, 12:59 AM   #143
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbizz View Post
Here is a pic I had sitting around. I absolutely see styling after the cars and after Panerais.
Very nice watch!!!
Old 4 May 2009, 02:19 PM   #144
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A few models went up in numbers produced,but that doesnt explain the high stock.I also dont visit once,I go there often,so its got nothing to do with them just receiving a shipment.
They are still smiling,make no mistake.They are selling well.... Panerai especially,but the current economic downturn has its effect.No question.Good,because if you are buying,its to your advantage.

I didn't know that production went up... Not sure if it's true - but, i did here that the 312 was originally 4000 - and now it is 2000 - at least for this serial number

That makes the hunt for those wanting a 312 in the near future that much more stressful if true.
Old 4 May 2009, 04:06 PM   #145
Trurolexer
Banned

I don't know I can get that 312 this year or maybe worse next year...
Old 6 May 2009, 12:38 AM   #146
BMAN8
"TRF" Member

Panerai have nices watches (I ownded a 111 for while) but, IMO, they're not a long-term daily wearer. They're just too big.

It's nice to have one in a collection of watches but there are so many other watches that, IMO, are more suitable for daily wear.
BMAN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2009, 12:57 AM   #147
Trurolexer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN8 View Post
Panerai have nices watches (I ownded a 111 for while) but, IMO, they're not a long-term daily wearer. They're just too big.

It's nice to have one in a collection of watches but there are so many other watches that, IMO, are more suitable for daily wear.
Jus a matter of taste, Bro.
Old 6 May 2009, 01:55 AM   #148
VazLube

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBJIV View Post
I didn't know that production went up... Not sure if it's true - but, i did here that the 312 was originally 4000 - and now it is 2000 - at least for this serial number

That makes the hunt for those wanting a 312 in the near future that much more stressful if true.
Maybe 2000 is for K and 2000 (?) is for L so in theory they can release 4000+ pieces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN8 View Post

oh really? they are perfect for me enough to be a daily wearer, almost a year in fact.
VazLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2009, 02:03 AM   #149
Rolexism
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VazLube View Post
oh really? they are perfect for me enough to be a daily wearer, almost a year in fact.
Happen to me the same,After since I got 111G last Jan it became my daily wearer and my Rolex haven't seen daylight since then
Rolexism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2009, 02:08 AM   #150
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trurolexer View Post
Very nice watch!!!
and the car is not bad, either.
drtooth73 is offline   Reply With Quote