The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 December 2019, 08:26 PM   #61
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Perhaps they know how you think they feel and would prefer to stay away?

A little encouragement goes a long way.:read
Maybe.

But what came first the chicken or the egg?

Did I hatch this way? Or was it an observation based on experience?

And edit to add: I tend to encourage people towards things that I enjoy. I feel if I like it, maybe they will too. In fact, I just had both the girls in my office pick out an Omega each. You might think they would do the research and go nuts picking the right one? No sir. They both picked quick....haven’t checked one review on them and haven’t taken a bunch of wrist shots to show all their friends either.

Fwiw, I was embedded in the yoga world for two decades. It was, and still is, highly biased to the female mindset. I didn’t, and still don’t, mind one bit.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 12:23 AM   #62
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
i am not a snob but if you really appreciate watches you would not get quartz.

my gshock even has the solar rechargeable battery so it practically doesnt need batter replacement
No disrespect intended, but how can you not appreciate the irony in this statement?
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 12:35 AM   #63
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
To be fair, if this woman had a bunch of watches sitting in a drawer because the batteries had all died, it does not sound as though she’s such an enthusiast.
Let's play the Devil's advocate Seth. What would you say to a high end Patek or Rolex collector who kept his/her timepieces sealed, stickered and secured, only taking them out to view and then returning them to their vault? Not a real enthusiast because the watches aren't worn as intended and instead appreciated only for their aesthetic beauty, perceived rarity, or some other measure not consistent with our own?

Not a fair comparison some will say, and if not the Devil's advocate i would agree, but I think we tread on a slippery slope when we start to judge the level of someone's enthusiasm based on a gold standard of our own design.

Old 13 December 2019, 12:48 AM   #64
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
I just don't think anyone can take quartz watches off the table and say a true enthusiasts wouldn't own one. Especially when top brands like PP, AP, Rolex all have or have had quartz models which produce far more accurate time keeping than any mechanical watch.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 01:19 AM   #65
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Let's play the Devil's advocate Seth. What would you say to a high end Patek or Rolex collector who kept his/her timepieces sealed, stickered and secured, only taking them out to view and then returning them to their vault? Not a real enthusiast because the watches aren't worn as intended and instead appreciated only for their aesthetic beauty, perceived rarity, or some other measure not consistent with our own?

Not a fair comparison some will say, and if not the Devil's advocate i would agree, but I think we tread on a slippery slope when we start to judge the level of someone's enthusiasm based on a gold standard of our own design.

certainly a good point.

my assumption is that is not the case. But certainly possible and good to see it both ways.

thanks for the insight.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 02:06 AM   #66
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
certainly a good point.

my assumption is that is not the case. But certainly possible and good to see it both ways.

thanks for the insight.
I hear you Seth, and totally understand and respect what you’re saying. If we were speaking privately behind closed doors, I’d probably even agree.

Quoting from the OP’s presentation: “She exclaimed, no, she herself really liked watches and that she owns a bunch of really nice ones.”

I took that statement for face value and opted not to question her sincerity.

I think this has become a thoughtful though tangential topic. It’s no more my place to judge what others consider a “really nice” watch than it is for me to measure someone’s enthusiasm against my own yardstick. Fwiw, I often see watches that may be the pride of someone’s collection but which I personally find abhorrent. I also smh when I see a patek displayed proudly sealed in factory plastic, or a Rolex masked with stickers. I can’t pretend to understand or share their enthusiasm, but I don’t challenge it.

So yes, I suppose I do judge some folks just as others would judge a drawer full of battery depleted timepieces. It’s human nature. I also agree it’s best to bite ones tongue and acknowledge our judgements as limits we self impose rather than absolute standards.

Old 13 December 2019, 02:23 AM   #67
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 02:27 AM   #68
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I think women choose not to come to sites like this because of the cigar smoke and testosterone.

There were a few women on Time Zone for a while and it was embarrassingly obvious that the members were so condescendingly polite and grandfatherly around them that they disappeared as well when any conversations they participated in got contentious.

Women don't like being deferred to and opinions treated with elevated gravitas just because some guy thinks they need protecting either. I think they would prefer to remain anonymous just to be treated as an equal. Which is why, I've never let it be known that although I'm not a woman, I am very sensitive and a bit fragile.

As for the notion that quartz is horologically equal to mechanical, is of course nonsense. It's got a stupid battery in it. What kind of watch lover would want to own some bizarre hybrid thing that can't run without a shot of electricity coursing through it. It's like The Rock getting in a fight scene in a movie and the only way he can fight is that he has to wear a pacemaker.

And the only reason that high end manufacturers make them is to cover their bases for the horologically uneducated.

THERE, that should make things interesting.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 02:39 AM   #69
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:

my gshock even has the solar rechargeable battery so it practically doesnt need batter replacement

Stupid statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 02:53 AM   #70
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
As for the notion that quartz is horologically equal to mechanical, is of course nonsense. It's got a stupid battery in it. What kind of watch lover would want to own some bizarre hybrid thing that can't run without a shot of electricity coursing through it. It's like The Rock getting in a fight scene in a movie and the only way he can fight is that he has to wear a pacemaker..

Wouldn’t that be Tony Stark?
Old 13 December 2019, 03:35 AM   #71
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Wouldn’t that be Tony Stark?
You may be right.

I don't watch comic book movies.

They may all be battery operated, although batteries not included.
Old 13 December 2019, 03:41 AM   #72
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
And the only reason that high end manufacturers make them is to cover their bases for the horologically uneducated.

THERE, that should make things interesting.
Quote:
And I have ZERO desire to own a Rolex Daytona so I stay out of those conversations as well.
Printed on the fireworks over here it says "light the blue touch paper and stand well back"

Should be some large explosions in the TRF night sky my friend.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 03:54 AM   #73
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Printed on the fireworks over here it says "light the blue touch paper and stand well back"

Should be some large explosions in the TRF night sky my friend.
I've put a bunch of sandbags around my computer.
Old 13 December 2019, 03:56 AM   #74
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
I've put a bunch of sandbags around my computer.
Good idea.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 04:06 AM   #75
PeqFB
"TRF" Member

My wife has over a dozen swatches and has spent less than $1,000 on them. In hind sight I told her I should have collected swatches instead of Rolexes, VCs, etc. I’d have a lot more money and a lot more watches!
PeqFB is offline   Reply With Quote