The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 December 2019, 01:04 AM   #61
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
I appreciate your thoughts Russ ! And you have a point that watchprosite is more niche. But than again, isn't patek niche ?

The popularity of th e 5711 is something that started only a couple of years ago and I dare to say social media started it. Now when did Instagram really start growing ? 5 years ago ? coincidence it's about the same as the nautilus hype started ?

I think it's a first step to get to learn Patek. Those new watch enthusiast are just discovering haute Horlogerie . Just like a lot of us probably started long ago with a steel submariner or GMT. Only years later you widen your knowledge and start looking at other brands and complications.
Now once again , nothin wrong with a 5711, love mine too but a 5070 is really something different.
There is a reason why AT LIST the one costs less than 40% to the other.

Aurel bacs has an opinion just like many others. I think a reverso, a speedmaster a Tank and many others have an even perfect design, its just a matter of taste.

Don't know what happened at that auction and don't know it the watch was complete and in what condition it was but I feel confident to say a 5070 R or G sells for 60 tot 65 K EURO if its complete and good condition.
Good points Bruno, and it’s interesting re the evolution of a watch collector. I think we’re all on a journey here, and when I first got into Patek I saw the PCC as being my grail, but now prefer something simpler - not sure there’s very much I’d rather have than my 5990, other than maybe a 5370 or 5740. Some people even go full circle back to Rolex.

BTW - would be good to see you posting here a little more often. You don’t want to be part of the IG crowd
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 01:58 AM   #62
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Funny thing is that you are posting this question with the optimistic assumption that you can get a good offer price for the 5070R in a timely fashion. Truth of the matter is that the only question here is if you want a let go your 5711 or not.
5070R number produced pieces is low but the market for it is also small.
Don't let the go 5070R for peanuts.
So my advise is if you get a good offer on the 5070R then sell it otherwise sell 5711.
Good luck

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 02:24 AM   #63
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
and I think if I would post the same question on watchprosite.com the Nautilus would make no chance. You just can't compare these 2

Don't get me wrong, I like this forum and I'm here sincee 15 years or so but it's mainly a ROLEX / SPORTSWATCH forum while the Patek forum on watchprosite is .... sorry to say, a lot better

Again, I have both and other Patek but a 5711 and 5070 just can't be compared. In fact, I'll make the poll on watchprosite and let's see the results

https://www.watchprosite.com/patek-p...46.11344936/0/

BTW, I would rater sell my 5711P than the 5070R !!
I've been on that site and it is certainly not better, they may have more of a dress piece bent and that is fine, just as TRF is obviously more sports based, but its really just a yes/no forum, hardly any discussions unlike this place which often has pages and pages, actually it is quite like Insta that way. I'm not a huge fan of many of the Insta and money guys coming over here but it is better than just being a very narrow echo chamber.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 06:55 AM   #64
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

A few points of my own to further validate Bruno:
- real market for good condition 5070 is €60k - more if NOS - P totally different.
- don’t forget that the 5070 has climbed in price spectacularly too. It’s list price was if I recall correctly back in 1998 as little as £18k GBP. The J has made a real comeback as well. Overall it’s done what the 5711 did and held it’s value for far longer. Less likely to be a fad.
- the 5711 has always traded above MSRP. The premium exploded in the last 2 years however.

Back to O/P - Very best of luck. Let us know what you decide!
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 09:13 AM   #65
Chaos
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Funny thing is that you are posting this question with the optimistic assumption that you can get a good offer price for the 5070R in a timely fashion. Truth of the matter is that the only question here is if you want a let go your 5711 or not.
5070R number produced pieces is low but the market for it is also small.
Don't let the go 5070R for peanuts.
So my advise is if you get a good offer on the 5070R then sell it otherwise sell 5711.
Good luck
Muchisimas gracias,

Well, I don't understand from where you've got the impression this was a sale pitch, or pre-sale as you might suggest. Well, thinking twice, you've affirmed that as a fact -- please forgive me if I misunderstood you.

I do reckon this type of sales pitch could be quite common nowadays, though

I am a person that has much bigger dreams than resources, it seems. It's not easy to let things you really like go.

best

Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 09:34 AM   #66
Chaos
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much, all of you guys ! Super nice, plenty of ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
A few points of my own to further validate Bruno:
- real market for good condition 5070 is €60k - more if NOS - P totally different.
- don’t forget that the 5070 has climbed in price spectacularly too. It’s list price was if I recall correctly back in 1998 as little as £18k GBP. The J has made a real comeback as well. Overall it’s done what the 5711 did and held it’s value for far longer. Less likely to be a fad.
- the 5711 has always traded above MSRP. The premium exploded in the last 2 years however.

Back to O/P - Very best of luck. Let us know what you decide!

Thank you, again!

Well, Mr Batman , you've got my dilemma.

When the trend was bound to let the 5070R go, you've came with beautiful words about it, which I really agree with.

Both watches are super nice, love them.

So, my decision is, for now, keeping both, and rent a MH ...

Just fyi - and please bear with me if this was too much of talking already - but when I came to see one MH , I have told the owner about my idea of selling one watch to buy his coach.

You won't believe his face, he couldn't avoid asking what kind of watch could it possibly be??

It's kind of funny how we give value to things -- how could such small amount of gold buy such much more resourceful equipment like a motorhome, that can carry you to distances , and even suitable for living in it ...

Well, guess it's not this time I could understand fully what I have just said ...

best
Old 8 December 2019, 10:00 AM   #67
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Muchisimas gracias,

Well, I don't understand from where you've got the impression this was a sale pitch, or pre-sale as you might suggest. Well, thinking twice, you've affirmed that as a fact -- please forgive me if I misunderstood you.

I do reckon this type of sales pitch could be quite common nowadays, though

I am a person that has much bigger dreams than resources, it seems. It's not easy to let things you really like go.

best

Just stating the facts , it’s what it is.
That’s the market, I don’t make the rules
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albert Einstein
Old 8 December 2019, 12:31 PM   #68
Chaos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just stating the facts , it’s what it is.
That’s the market, I don’t make the rules
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jorge, I'm not talking about the values, but you affirmed that I was doing a sales pitch, as I could understand so from your first paragraph.

It's not the case, believe me.

best
Old 8 December 2019, 12:35 PM   #69
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y

Wearable as a daily, all day everyday. Hard to beat.
Greatest SS sports watch ever made.

Greatest hurdle that the 5711 encounters is to resign oneself to enjoying it as a daily... at that point the watch will bring you tremendous satisfaction.

After selling ~30 watches in my evolution, the 5711 is the only one I miss and would consider owning again.
Old 8 December 2019, 12:38 PM   #70
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Jorge, I'm not talking about the values, but you affirmed that I was doing a sales pitch, as I could understand so from your first paragraph.

It's not the case, believe me.

best
I just google what sales pitch means (didn’t have a clue) , and it says that something you post so persuade the public to buy something. I guess you learn something new everyday. That’s not why are we here, to plant some researched scam , really ?
I just said what would happen if you put on sale a 5070R (obviously less market ) and that it’s easier to sell 5711
Sorry I commented on your post, I won’t again
Good luck with whatever you end up doing

Albert Einstein
Old 8 December 2019, 01:49 PM   #71
Chaos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just google what sales pitch means (didn’t have a clue) , and it says that something you post so persuade the public to buy something. I guess you learn something new everyday. That’s not why are we here, to plant some researched scam , really ?
I just said what would happen if you put on sale a 5070R (obviously less market ) and that it’s easier to sell 5711
Sorry I commented on your post, I won’t again
Good luck with whatever you end up doing
No need to be sorry, just a misunderstanding! You're a gentlemen and it would be always a pleasure to have your opinions.

best
Old 8 December 2019, 08:03 PM   #72
Josh1000
Banned

The greatest watch ever is the 5522....according to TRFer Codecow who hasnt posted for aggggeees
Josh1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 09:47 PM   #73
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1000 View Post
The greatest watch ever is the 5522....according to TRFer Codecow who hasnt posted for aggggeees
I was convinced Louis was trolling and then he kept it up so long I am unsure if he was serious or not.
Old 8 December 2019, 10:10 PM   #74
Josh1000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I was convinced Louis was trolling and then he kept it up so long I am unsure if he was serious or not.
Ha ha I thought the same
Old 10 December 2019, 04:15 AM   #75
Chaos
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much, all of you guys !

For all that answered and also for those that just read it, I'd like to thank you.

As I said, I'll keep both for now, as I still love them. Just don't wear them and that's the origin of my doubt.

Apparently, 5711 would be the winner to sell bc the inflation.

5711/1A is indeed a lovely piece anyway, but I feel that 5711 prices are super high for the piece . Also, as it is already noted on other threads, the asking prices are getting a hit apparently.

IMHO, all this mess or the majority of it might be put onto dealers shoulders -- they always try to get as much as possible and demand versus availability becomes distorted - kind of TULIPE effect, as Bruno once said about Panerai ( and I believe he was right).

I can't figure out how many people really love 5711 because the watch per se, or because the hype. Still, owners of 5711 are not complaining....

best
Old 10 December 2019, 05:37 AM   #76
unknown
"TRF" Member

Take it for what it is
But on WatchProSite
46 would keep the 5070 and 6 would keep the 5711
Old 10 December 2019, 07:15 PM   #77
Josh1000
Banned

Quote:
Take it for what it is
But on WatchProSite
46 would keep the 5070 and 6 would keep the 5711
Bruno that doesnt surprise me at all. Different forums. TRF is very much sports watch orientated. I dont think you would even be allowed to say the 5070 sucks on WP.....you would have to state that it's a wonderful watch but not to your personal taste at this.moment in time. I think even if you compared a 5070P to the original 5711P it will lean to 5070P. Regards
Old 11 December 2019, 01:01 AM   #78
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bruno that doesnt surprise me at all. Different forums. TRF is very much sports watch orientated. I dont think you would even be allowed to say the 5070 sucks on WP.....you would have to state that it's a wonderful watch but not to your personal taste at this.moment in time. I think even if you compared a 5070P to the original 5711P it will lean to 5070P. Regards
Lean? It would be an avalanche! (as well it should)

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 01:29 AM   #79
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post

Not according to the broader market. Take both to auction and find out.
Old 11 December 2019, 01:38 AM   #80
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not according to the broader market. Take both to auction and find out.
I'll take your word for it.

Personally I don't care much for either and have no idea how "broad" the market is for these, though based on price I'd suspect it's rather limited.

Of course in the auction format you suggest, it only takes 2.
Old 11 December 2019, 01:43 AM   #81
Josh1000
Banned

Quote:

The 5070J was about £19000 in 1995 and probably £50 000 today. The 5711P today new is circa $100k and will easily achieve $340k at auction. The 5070P is iconic based on that blue dial and 1 year production run. So a guess is 250 in existence. The 5711P nobody really knows but they definately seen far less on preowned market. I am a pleb...and not nostalgic....I certainly dont want a vintage PP at 35mm no matter how scarce it is
Old 11 December 2019, 01:52 AM   #82
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
The 5070J was about £19000 in 1995 and probably £50 000 today. The 5711P today new is circa $100k and will easily achieve $340k at auction. The 5070P is iconic based on that blue dial and 1 year production run. So a guess is 250 in existence. The 5711P nobody really knows but they definately seen far less on preowned market. I am a pleb...and not nostalgic....I certainly dont want a vintage PP at 35mm no matter how scarce it is
Ichiran might since he has small wrist and fits girls watches ;)
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 02:31 AM   #83
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'll take your word for it.

Personally I don't care much for either and have no idea how "broad" the market is for these, though based on price I'd suspect it's rather limited.

Of course in the auction format you suggest, it only takes 2.

I hear you. The gist of it is that the 5711P was likely made in smaller numbers and secondary is around double that of the 5070P. Just the markets bias for sports watches.
Old 12 December 2019, 02:01 AM   #84
Josh1000
Banned

Weep
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191211_193907.jpg (178.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 12 December 2019, 02:02 AM   #85
Josh1000
Banned

Quote:
I hear you. The gist of it is that the 5711P was likely made in smaller numbers and secondary is around double that of the 5070P. Just the markets bias for sports watches.
Weep more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191211_184402.jpg (189.5 KB, 89 views)
Old 12 December 2019, 02:25 AM   #86
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Weep more
Wow and that's the tombstone. OG much better.
Old 12 December 2019, 03:53 AM   #87
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Theres 2 people with a tombstone here
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 04:02 AM   #88
Mr Naultilus
Banned

[QUOTE=Fat_ninja;10195646]Theres 2 people with a tombstone here[/QUOTE

only 2?
Mr Naultilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 05:14 AM   #89
tp.
"TRF" Member

Quote:

From philipps latest auction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BC436D66-4025-4485-8BD3-6D5FE03A2753.jpeg (248.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpeg 1C23255E-80AD-4AC7-B7DB-68A92DDEDECC.jpeg (151.4 KB, 64 views)
tp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 08:44 AM   #90
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp. View Post
From philipps latest auction.
The absurdity is mystifying.