The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 December 2019, 05:38 PM   #31
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I’m not sure if this discussion is moving towards Japan v German optics.

I can tell you that back in the ‘70’s I was the sales manager for a scientific company distributing Olympus.
Resolution tests on Olympus microscopes were not surpassed by even Zeiss microscope lenses.

I have $75 Sony N1 and N2 cameras that I use for personal and business use that take better pix than my *SLR’s and *SLT cameras.

*Probably because there are too many variables settings to begin to understand.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 05:42 PM   #32
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Leica is still more of a casual camera than a professional one. Even if a pro happens to use a Leica, it's because they either have the time (because manual-focus rangefinders aren't quick to use) or don't need auxiliary equipment (strobes, extensive lens choices, etc.). Very few pros use Leica exclusively.

Product photography is much better accomplished (IMO) with other brands such as Hasselblad/Fuji for medium format or Canon/Nikon/Sony for 35mm.
Agree 100%.
Old 7 December 2019, 06:00 PM   #33
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Fun to see the thread go in the wrong direction, my dad is stronger than yours.

Was it not the collaboration between Hodinkee & Leica that it was about?

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 06:07 PM   #34
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post

(Said in friendly humor) Wait, you mean a discussion thread within an online board got a bit off-topic?

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 06:39 PM   #35
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post

Yes, they started it...

I quite like my G9.?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2019, 11:45 PM   #36
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
If the OP was sponsored by Rolex I'm sure he wouldn't wear proudly, praise and shout Rolex out am I right?

Hodinkee has been like this for years now, time to move along.
Let's try this again, in case you didn't see my response below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
My issue isn't James Stacey using it or the fact that it's a sponsored post.

My issue is that this isn't a one-off, it's the 3rd in a series and it looks like Stephen Pulvirent is next (all of whom work at Hodinkee).

Now if you go and say hey, Leica gave us these amazing cameras and look what we've done with them, then cool - shill and sell your co-sponsored product. But when they pose it as if these guys have been using it for their entire lives, it just comes off as unbelievable and sappy.

If that is the case, then is being a Leica photographer in a past life a pre-req to work at Hodinkee?? Again, I generally love their content, but this is one that I just smirk at.
Again, it's not about the sponsorship or the shilling, I get that. What I am saying is that it's presented in an awful way.

For some of you out there, Hodinkee can do no wrong. In my opinion, these forums are here so that we can have a conversation about watches and things like this, so please don't tell me to move on when I express my opinion about a site that I generally love.
Old 8 December 2019, 02:41 AM   #37
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

For some of you out there, Hodinkee can do no wrong. In my opinion, these forums are here so that we can have a conversation about watches and things like this, so please don't tell me to move on when I express my opinion about a site that I generally love.
I think the problem is we "love" some of these sites too much. And I agree the Leica thing is a bit much. Next we get to see the cars they use to go to the interviews and the clothiers they use for their videos?

I look at Hodinkee with about as much respect as any of these sites, they are moneymaking enterprises who do a good job most of the time.

Lets face it, commercialization tends to corrupt everything sooner or later because everything needs to be paid for, and people want to cash in. Getting upset doesn't do much good. What sometimes does is expressing it on the comments sections of their sites.

Given time Hodinkee will be monetized out of existence like pretty much every other good or popular idea. It will be bought by some conglomerate and ruined, people will move on from it and it will be shut down or morphed into something useless. Just how life works.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 02:59 AM   #38
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

It fits with their schtick but is a bit annoying. I enjoy shooting with my M10, but there is definitely a subset of Leica-philes that take more pictures of their gear than with their gear. They upgrade every iteration and sell the virtually new looking used body, then get a new $300 boutique leather strap. It’s the difference between gear junkies and users. I admit I can be a bit of both sometimes though!
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 06:52 AM   #39
mgd55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Well, you guys can make your own assessment on Leica, it’s still the finest street camera on the market. It hasn’t made me a better photographer, it’s a tool for better photography.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very well shot--great eye and creation of atmosphere. Thanks for sharing.
mgd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 09:31 AM   #40
2geeze
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What happens next
Quote:
Well, you guys can make your own assessment on Leica, it’s still the finest street camera on the market. It hasn’t made me a better photographer, it’s a tool for better photography.

I'm trying to work on my street photography chops. Those are beautiful images and quite inspiring.
2geeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 09:33 AM   #41
2geeze
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
Does John Mayer use a Leica?
As a matter of fact...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRwni-hj76O/?hl=en
Old 8 December 2019, 10:19 AM   #42
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

$8k for a body?
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 10:59 AM   #43
ralfoto
"TRF" Member

Really ...who cares????
Leica made beautiful and great cameras in the past...none of their digital cameras are worth the cost...they are "window dressing" unless one needs an old style small rangefinder with outmoded technology. The lenses are some of the best but again way too costly for people who really want to make images and art...or do commercial work.
Leica has become a "fashion" statement and ceased to be a company most photographers used when it was bought by Hermes I believe ( might be wrong but one of those luxury holding companies) and most people just buy it for the "status"....
ralfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 12:39 PM   #44
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2geeze View Post
I'm trying to work on my street photography chops. Those are beautiful images and quite inspiring.
Thank you, Brad.

Isn’t street the best!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 04:19 PM   #45
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Let's try this again, in case you didn't see my response below:

Again, it's not about the sponsorship or the shilling, I get that. What I am saying is that it's presented in an awful way.

Okay...

and fyi I don't like Hodinkee, I just understand the position they are in business wise
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 10:00 PM   #46
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Quote:

Nothing that couldn’t be done with IPhone 11 and photo editing
Old 8 December 2019, 10:27 PM   #47
nda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post
Possibly.

One of the pleasures of using a Leica is that you have 'taken' the photo, rather than a computer doing so.

Some of my favourite shots have been with the Leica - particularly panning sports car shots. Tricky to do. :)

nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2019, 11:00 PM   #48
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Allegedly, Watchbox is considering buying Hodinkee. I think it is idle speculation but it sounds plausible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I think the problem is we "love" some of these sites too much. And I agree the Leica thing is a bit much. Next we get to see the cars they use to go to the interviews and the clothiers they use for their videos?

I look at Hodinkee with about as much respect as any of these sites, they are moneymaking enterprises who do a good job most of the time.

Lets face it, commercialization tends to corrupt everything sooner or later because everything needs to be paid for, and people want to cash in. Getting upset doesn't do much good. What sometimes does is expressing it on the comments sections of their sites.

Given time Hodinkee will be monetized out of existence like pretty much every other good or popular idea. It will be bought by some conglomerate and ruined, people will move on from it and it will be shut down or morphed into something useless. Just how life works.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 12:37 AM   #49
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by nda View Post
Possibly.

One of the pleasures of using a Leica is that you have 'taken' the photo, rather than a computer doing so.

Some of my favourite shots have been with the Leica - particularly panning sports car shots. Tricky to do. :)

The golden era of F1 and Leica.
Is that Jim Clark?
Old 9 December 2019, 01:25 AM   #50
77T

Hodinkee and Leica

Quote:

I agree with an aspect of that - they are using a high priced Leica to make poor images. For Leica it makes sense because WIS will spend high $$$ to measure time and will likely do the same to take photos.

The ironic part is the poor imagery they are showing to put a beard on the silly-stupid price of Leica. Using a nearly $10K camera to make bad images almost always leads to discussion of the camera and not the image.

For photographers who are improving, even a pinhole can produce a striking result. That is, once one improves composition, content, framing and concept.

Contrast is king in the western world while eastern aesthetics lean toward nuanced pastel images. So that’s a matter of taste.

Just my 2¢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 01:29 AM   #51
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrricks View Post
The golden era of F1 and Leica.

Is that Jim Clark?

Not in that helmet.

Jimmy had taken his last checkered in ‘68 before that helmet was invented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 01:35 AM   #52
Laszlo

Hodinkee and Leica

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda View Post
Possibly.

That’s a great photo!! Would love to see more.

You’re comment is spot on.

What I love about Leica especially the M, is that you truly take a photo. You’re forced to compose, dial in, think. When I used to shoot with the DSLR bulk, I would just shoot... spray and pray is what we call it.

Another important note that I’d like to emphasize, is the Leica did struggle with the digital transition and I had no interest in the previous digital Ms because they really weren’t that good. From sensory to analog lens compatibility nothing was truly working well together.

Then came the Typ 240 and the shift truly began. But it was still too fat and not weatherproof. It also has useless video and other weight that was not needed. But the image quality was pure Leica. The ‘look’ was finally back.

And then finally the M10 which is a purification of perfection and performance that encapsulates everything the M film rangefinder was all about. It’s the exact same dimensions as an M6 and weatherproof. The shutter alone is sublime.

Anyone who hasn’t handled the M10 yet and has a Leica film history should. Because it is a masterpiece of digital and mechanics and as pure as it comes. I can’t even describe how incredible it feels shooting with it.

It took Leica a lot longer to get it right much like Rolex getting the DJ 41 right. And for me there is no looking back and my Leica’s are here and my go-to kit.

Here’s some more street and other inspiration.

Old 9 December 2019, 02:23 AM   #53
zengineer
"TRF" Member

The only thing more tedious than watch snobs are probably photography snobs and maybe the kitchen knife and carbon fiber bicycle guys.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 03:01 AM   #54
crewsin
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
The only thing more tedious than watch snobs are probably photography snobs and maybe the kitchen knife and carbon fiber bicycle guys.

IDK, I own a couple of carbon fiber bicycles and they are a lot of fun to ride...I also raced professionally and having capable equipment is pretty important. FWIW I also own a set of Shun knives and they are a pleasure to use. Why all the hate?
crewsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 03:02 AM   #55
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsin View Post
IDK, I own a couple of carbon fiber bicycles and they are a lot of fun to ride...I also raced professionally and having capable equipment is pretty important. FWIW I also own a set of Shun knives and they are a pleasure to use. Why all the hate?
Because he wants these things.

Old 9 December 2019, 04:40 AM   #56
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsin View Post
You need to look up the meaning of tedious.

zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 07:34 AM   #57
2geeze
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That’s a great photo!! Would love to see more.

You’re comment is spot on.

What I love about Leica especially the M, is that you truly take a photo. You’re forced to compose, dial in, think. When I used to shoot with the DSLR bulk, I would just shoot... spray and pray is what we call it.

Another important note that I’d like to emphasize, is the Leica did struggle with the digital transition and I had no interest in the previous digital Ms because they really weren’t that good. From sensory to analog lens compatibility nothing was truly working well together.

Then came the Typ 240 and the shift truly began. But it was still too fat and not weatherproof. It also has useless video and other weight that was not needed. But the image quality was pure Leica. The ‘look’ was finally back.

And then finally the M10 which is a purification of perfection and performance that encapsulates everything the M film rangefinder was all about. It’s the exact same dimensions as an M6 and weatherproof. The shutter alone is sublime.

Anyone who hasn’t handled the M10 yet and has a Leica film history should. Because it is a masterpiece of digital and mechanics and as pure as it comes. I can’t even describe how incredible it feels shooting with it.

It took Leica a lot longer to get it right much like Rolex getting the DJ 41 right. And for me there is no looking back and my Leica’s are here and my go-to kit.

Here’s some more street and other inspiration.

And again--just lovely, and quite inspiring.
Old 9 December 2019, 09:13 AM   #58
crewsin
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
You need to look up the meaning of tedious.

I’m kind of lazy can you please just tell me what it means?? Or carry on making condescending remarks...your choice.
crewsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 02:07 PM   #59
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post
One of the dumbest things I've seen uttered on this forum.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 9 December 2019, 06:46 PM   #60
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
One of the dumbest things I've seen uttered on this forum.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Please go on, explain your thoughts)
Or let’s discuss this