The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 December 2019, 01:41 AM   #31
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I honestly think that most people buying watches don't really know the difference between mechanical and quartz until someone educates them.

This lady probably wanted a nice watch (and we don't know that she even has an expensive watch) and she went in and bought what she liked the looks of.

We have lots of newbys on the watch sites that start out with quartz because they didn't even understand the whole quartz-handwound-automatic choice differences.

Most of us at some point gravitate to mechanical because or the "purity" and "antiquity" of the whole cogs and wheels thing.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 02:11 AM   #32
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
So the wife and I were talking to a friend of hers and, naturally, I brought the subject around to watches. I pointed out that most people who liked watches were men. She exclaimed, no, she herself really liked watches and that she owns a bunch of really nice ones. She added that they all sat in a drawer because their batteries died. I bit my tongue and kept my mouth shut. The end.

IMHO....A real "male" gentleman would never denigrate a "female" about her choice of watches, on this revered TRF site or not!
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 02:22 AM   #33
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I think we should all lighten up a bit. I don't see much wrong with the original post, it was meant as a recounting of an amusing experience, there was no belittling of the lady, as John said, he kept quiet.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 02:55 AM   #34
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Firstly, John is a educated watch enthusiast; his (internalized) reaction would be the same as any proper TRF member on this site. I, myself, thought it was a cute story that reminded my of my own experiences with both men and women that may not have the watch knowledge or experience most collectors possess. Even my wife falls into that category; bravo John, you are a gentleman!
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 02:55 AM   #35
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I honestly think that most people buying watches don't really know the difference between mechanical and quartz until someone educates them.

This lady probably wanted a nice watch (and we don't know that she even has an expensive watch) and she went in and bought what she liked the looks of.

We have lots of newbys on the watch sites that start out with quartz because they didn't even understand the whole quartz-handwound-automatic choice differences.

Most of us at some point gravitate to mechanical because or the "purity" and "antiquity" of the whole cogs and wheels thing.

A couple of additional points worth making. An expensive watch is neither a requirement not a qualifier of a nice watch, and a battery powered watch does not necessarily obviate the need for the whole cogs and wheels thing.

If you really want purity and antiquity I suggest a sun dial.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 02:56 AM   #36
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Dave, I appreciate your point of view; however, there is a certain undertone (at first blush) of OP's post.

If interpreted in the negative, ladies may not sign up as a member if they were reading as a guest, or just feel like they are immersed in a good ole' boys, entitlement club and drift away from this forum, and not because they have sensitive skin either.

Too bad, because there are so many fantastic individuals (who are gentlemen) who are helpful, kind and generous in their comments regardless who they sharing posts with.

There is so much to learn in the voluminous contributions residing in the TRF subforums, and I personally value and feel enlightened by the friendships I have gained here: male and female. But I can see how the OP's commentary can alter a lady's opinion of whether she is welcome here or not.

Cheers!
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 03:00 AM   #37
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
Firstly, John is a educated watch enthusiast; his (internalized) reaction would be the same as any proper TRF member on this site. I, myself, thought it was a cute story that reminded my of my own experiences with both men and women that may not have the watch knowledge or experience most collectors possess. Even my wife falls into that category; bravo John, you are a gentleman!
I can understand your point, but lack of “knowledge or experience” cuts both ways if we narrow our thinking to exclude quartz powered watches as somehow being inferior objects for lack of a mainspring.

Old 12 December 2019, 03:06 AM   #38
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Dave, I appreciate your point of view; however, there is a certain undertone (at first blush) of OP's post.

If interpreted in the negative, ladies may not sign up as a member if they were reading as a guest, or just feel like they are immersed in a good ole' boys, entitlement club and drift away from this forum, and not because they have sensitive skin either.

Too bad, because there are so many fantastic individuals (who are gentlemen) who are helpful, kind and generous in their comments regardless who they sharing posts with.

There is so much to learn in the voluminous contributions residing in the TRF subforums, and I personally value and feel enlightened by the friendships I have gained here: male and female. But I can see how the OP's commentary can alter a lady's opinion of whether she is welcome here or not.

Cheers!

Interesting points.

I gave OP the benefit of the doubt and assumed his commentary more elitist than sexist.

Old 12 December 2019, 03:12 AM   #39
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
I do not agree that any proper TRF member would have the same reaction. When I meet a fellow watch enthusiast, I do not "rate" them based on the value or level of collection. I'm just happy to have someone to share the passion and interest with and hopefully a discussion. In this case I would have simply asked about the collection and how long she has been at it. The OP's inference that a quartz collector (or wearer of) is lesser than him because he owns one PP and one Rolex is where the rub is for some, I think. As another member posted, came across as elitist. Takes the fun out of it.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 03:18 AM   #40
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:

IMHO....A real "male" gentleman would never denigrate a "female" about her choice of watches, on this revered TRF site or not!
Agree my friend. Idiotic post.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 03:19 AM   #41
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
I do not agree that any proper TRF member would have the same reaction. When I meet a fellow watch enthusiast, I do not "rate" them based on the value or level of collection. I'm just happy to have someone to share the passion and interest with and hopefully a discussion. In this case I would have simply asked about the collection and how long she has been at it. The OP's inference that a quartz collector (or wearer of) is lesser than him because he owns one PP and one Rolex is where the rub is for some, I think. As another member posted, came across as elitist. Takes the fun out of it.
I agree. One of the things I have enjoyed about the many many GTG's that I have been to is that one guy wearing a PP can get excited about seeing another persons $500 Seiko, and that all were equals.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 03:20 AM   #42
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:

Cheers!
Quite a few women have left over the years, sad really.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 03:36 AM   #43
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
And I changed the battery all by my own self Paulie.
How long do those batteries typically last?
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 04:00 AM   #44
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
And I changed the battery all by my own self Paulie.
Old 12 December 2019, 04:05 AM   #45
steversaurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
I feel like I've had that same conversation before. I don't know why, but it gets somewhat awkward when they flip the question around, and you have to answer "mostly pre-80s Rolex". Which leads me to just not really talk about my hobbies to the average person.
steversaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 04:19 AM   #46
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbl View Post

imho....a real "male" gentleman would never denigrate a "female" about her choice of watches, on this revered trf site or not!
x2

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 04:22 AM   #47
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steversaurus View Post
I feel like I've had that same conversation before. I don't know why, but it gets somewhat awkward when they flip the question around, and you have to answer "mostly pre-80s Rolex". Which leads me to just not really talk about my hobbies to the average person.
Sometimes there just won't be a connection, this can apply to any hobby or passion. However something I've always enjoyed on TRF is the fact that a higher level PP (or equal) collector can share the same passion with an entry level collector or beginner. This to me is part of the spirit of TRF which makes it special. Daily interactions with people from around the world with different backgrounds and budgets.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 05:42 AM   #48
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Cheers!
I appreciate the gentlemanly response, thank you. I am not the best with the written word and often come over as combative, so I took my time to phrase my post to not sound so. I am of the opinion that John was not trying to be disrespectful. But I respect your opinion on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Quite a few women have left over the years, sad really.
It is sad, I must admit Art, I find it very refreshing when ladies join and contribute. I am still friendly with one lady who left the group some time ago. We had a good core group of ladies that were very knowledgeable about watches, more so than me (well, thats not actually hard to achieve.)

DAVE

Old 12 December 2019, 07:04 AM   #49
akordz
Banned

I knew it wasn't just the male race that loved watches though I've literally met a few female fanatics
akordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 07:08 AM   #50
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I don't think I've ever encountered a woman who liked being referred to as a "female" in normal conversation. Who speaks like that?

Anyway, I know this is mostly a boys club and most mechanical watch buyers are men, but that kind of tone is just going to keep the "females" away.
Old 12 December 2019, 07:12 AM   #51
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Well, wristwatches were originally a ladies accessory, back in the day, before WWI, so they've been wearing them longer than we have.
Good point!
Old 12 December 2019, 07:27 AM   #52
Lawlex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Could also be AP or PP. Both offer a full quartz range.
Plus FP Journe and many more. Oh man, the hope is strong.
Lawlex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 11:35 AM   #53
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Wow, this post has been over thought. I, for one, admit I am a bit of a watch snob; but not for the reason that John I am being blamed. I enjoy and own Casio and Seiko watches, it’s not about the price. I believe Johns point of contention was the fact that the woman had a drawerful of watches that needed batteries. If you really love your watches, would you not care to keep them in running order (I found that comical for a supposed collector)? My daughter’s Fitbit, Casio, and Timex are loved and are all in working order. Lighten up people, some of us are imperfect and find weird things funny.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 02:33 PM   #54
austinp
"TRF" Member

Triggered

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 07:11 PM   #55
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i am not a snob but if you really appreciate watches you would not get quartz.

my gshock even has the solar rechargeable battery so it practically doesnt need batter replacement
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 08:00 PM   #56
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
To be fair, if this woman had a bunch of watches sitting in a drawer because the batteries had all died, it does not sound as though she’s such an enthusiast. She might like watches very much. But how much could she really, if they were all dead.

My wife loves watches. It was one of the first things we bonded over, way back when. We also go watch spotting every time we are out. We have had countless conversations with strangers about watches. And my girl can hang with even the most knowledgeable.

The girls in my office love watches. They often send me pictures from IG telling me which ones they like. It’s a common conversation in my office.

But none of the women in my life would care to join a forum. With the exception of some of the female friends I’ve made here, I don’t know any women that care enough about the minutiae.

I also don’t frequent too many other watch forums. But I check them out from time to time. Along with the various comments sections of the billions of articles out there. I just don’t see many women with a huge interest in watches.

I don’t think it’s sexist or elitist to make an observation about different fields of interest for the different groups and communities we naturally form based on commonality.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 08:02 PM   #57
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
I disagree.

DAVE

Old 12 December 2019, 08:04 PM   #58
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Seiko has good quartz but they have the spring drive

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 08:06 PM   #59
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post

my gshock even has the solar rechargeable battery so it practically doesnt need batter replacement
I have several quartz, from Grand Seiko down to micro brands like Dan Henry and a Casio. And I wear them. Does this mean I don't really appreciate watches? Maybe I should sell my Rolex and Tudor collection.
Old 12 December 2019, 08:10 PM   #60
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
To be fair, if this woman had a bunch of watches sitting in a drawer because the batteries had all died, it does not sound as though she’s such an enthusiast. She might like watches very much. But how much could she really, if they were all dead.

My wife loves watches. It was one of the first things we bonded over, way back when. We also go watch spotting every time we are out. We have had countless conversations with strangers about watches. And my girl can hang with even the most knowledgeable.

The girls in my office love watches. They often send me pictures from IG telling me which ones they like. It’s a common conversation in my office.

But none of the women in my life would care to join a forum. With the exception of some of the female friends I’ve made here, I don’t know any women that care enough about the minutiae.

I also don’t frequent too many other watch forums. But I check them out from time to time. Along with the various comments sections of the billions of articles out there. I just don’t see many women with a huge interest in watches.

I don’t think it’s sexist or elitist to make an observation about different fields of interest for the different groups and communities we naturally form based on commonality.
Perhaps they know how you think they feel and would prefer to stay away?

A little encouragement goes a long way.:read

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote