The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 December 2019, 04:22 AM   #31
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
This reminds me of the story of a few years ago the Spanish Navy dealing with a submarine that was 70 tons too heavy, rendering it unable to return to surface once submerged.

The extra 70 tons were the result of one misplaced decimal point by some engineer.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 04:41 AM   #32
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
i'm 30 and telling time isn't an issue. Cursive I can read but REALLY flowy cursive makes me slow down a bit.

Really if there are skills we need to learn in the real world and we don't know them isn't the onus on those in charge of our education? Teaching kids only enough to pass standardized tests is clearly not the way.
Old 13 December 2019, 04:53 AM   #33
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
Just shows that kids are getting dumber each year. Makes me wonder if they learn anything in school or just mark present in every class.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 05:37 AM   #34
Thug
"TRF" Member

Not knowing how to tell time on analog doesn’t mean people are dumber. It’s honestly laughable some of you have this line of thinking.

It’s not taught anymore because digital is objectively better.

Lol at that pic taking a shot at younger generation when it’s the boomers who have a harder time differentiating between fake news and real.

Also, McDonald’s our pictures and barcodes everything because it’s significantly more efficiently for operations from both front end and back end.
Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 06:18 AM   #35
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
Not knowing how to tell time on analog doesn’t mean people are dumber. It’s honestly laughable some of you have this line of thinking.

It’s not taught anymore because digital is objectively better.

Lol at that pic taking a shot at younger generation when it’s the boomers who have a harder time differentiating between fake news and real.

Also, McDonald’s our pictures and barcodes everything because it’s significantly more efficiently for operations from both front end and back end.
I agree kids aren't getting dumber, it's simply prioritizing what is taught.

Got a computer problem, hell any 8 year old could probably fix it while texting and playing a computer game.

There is however definitely a disconnected gap between educating pre computer age and educating post computer age, that we probably need to look at.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 06:36 AM   #36
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I don't think technology makes kids dumber; the wide availability of information at one's fingertips however makes researching and memorizing information secondary.

It leads to an environment where memory retention and attention to detail are becoming optional. People who are accustomed to depend on quick and easy source of information are also more susceptible to manipulation by unscrupulous news sources.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 06:41 AM   #37
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Most people born in this country before the 70’s find it difficult to convert imperial measurements into metric and many flat out can’t grasp the concept of centimetres and kilograms.

Are they thick as mince or just brought up differently?
Old 13 December 2019, 07:40 AM   #38
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Most people born in this country before the 70’s find it difficult to convert imperial measurements into metric and many flat out can’t grasp the concept of centimetres and kilograms.

Are they thick as mince or just brought up differently?
i still don't understand how some people in the UK can still tell weight with "stone".
Old 13 December 2019, 07:44 AM   #39
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfury View Post
i still don't understand how some people in the UK can still tell weight with "stone".
Try everyone! Even those of us comfortable with metric measurements use stones first and foremost for identifying weight - though somewhat curiously that generally applies only when weighing people. Everything else is kilos or pounds.

Anyway, we just use what you guys use and divide by 7
Old 13 December 2019, 08:16 AM   #40
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

"Half of young adults struggle to tell the time on a clockface with hands"

Kids aren’t getting dumber, as stated before I know some who are scary smart. What our society has begun to lack is focusing on critical thought, attention to detail, and teaching being able to concentrate for long periods of time. I believe it is because of sound bite culture and everything becoming instant. The educational system needs to adapt better at keeping these things at the forefront.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 12:06 PM   #41
Db7566
"TRF" Member

I think it is less of an intelligence problem and more of a behavioral one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 18 January 2020, 02:43 PM   #42
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
This reminds me of the story of a few years ago the Spanish Navy dealing with a submarine that was 70 tons too heavy, rendering it unable to return to surface once submerged.

The extra 70 tons were the result of one misplaced decimal point by some engineer.

I heard it the other way around it was 70 tons too light and could fly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 06:33 PM   #43
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
If it’s the Mail, it’s likely to be utter nonsense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 06:36 PM   #44
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
If it’s the Mail, it’s likely to be utter nonsense!
No, it must be true
Old 19 January 2020, 03:52 AM   #45
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Not the only thing that is changing. Fewer young people are reading, if they "read" books they are audiobooks. This affects the way people's brain wire themselves and affects the way they think. If people start learning via videos and audiobooks, how will they do on tests like IQ tests and college entrance exams? And how will they be able to think critically like in law school?
Another reason to homeschool!! Public schools don’t teach many things, including how to tell time off an analog clock. Many of the fundamentals are just ignored. Sad state of affairs.
Setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:11 AM   #46
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setarip View Post
Another reason to homeschool!! Public schools don’t teach many things, including how to tell time off an analog clock. Many of the fundamentals are just ignored. Sad state of affairs.
I believe public schooling was part of a concept of socializing children and expanding their horizons.

I think most homeschooling revolves around religion.

I think public schooling is important but that doesn't mean parents just turn over their kids education to someone else. They can still be taught at home filling in the gaps that they believe are missing.
Old 20 January 2020, 11:47 AM   #47
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I believe public schooling was part of a concept of socializing children and expanding their horizons.

I think most homeschooling revolves around religion.

I think public schooling is important but that doesn't mean parents just turn over their kids education to someone else. They can still be taught at home filling in the gaps that they believe are missing.
Yes, I think homeschooling started out for many (20 yrs ago), for religious reasons. However, today I see more and more parents homeschooling so that they can ensure a better education. Einstein, Booker T. Washington, Churchill...all homeschooled.

Agree with your premise though: regardless of attending public schools, it’s a parent’s responsibility to educate (filling in the gaps) at home.

Back to the original post, I’m hopeful that many kids will start to look at analog clocks and watches and have a desire to learn time that way.
Setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 12:01 PM   #48
Black_5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Chic View Post
Hi Guys!

This is taken from today's UK Daily Mail.

With the rise of smartdevises (phones, watches, ...), an increasing amount of young people become unable to tell the time from traditional watches...

What do think of that?

What's the future of the traditional watches we love?
I'd be more concerned about their inability to spell, or to put together a grammatically correct, legible sentence...

Did no-one notice the irony?

With the rise of smartdevises (phones, watches, ...), an increasing amount of young people become unable to tell the time from traditional watches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
So many watches, So little time...
Black_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 03:38 AM   #49
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_5 View Post
I'd be more concerned about their inability to spell, or to put together a grammatically correct, legible sentence...

Did no-one notice the irony?

As someone who had all the cursive education and grammar up the wazoo, it pains me to see that due to email, computers etc that I can no longer write a word or sentence worth a damn. Granted I'm still a member of the grammar police, but I can barely sign my name the way I used to.

Basically the only handwriting I do now is on a post-it.

Sad.

So it's hard to just blame kids when computers changed the world.