The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 13 December 2019, 02:44 AM   #31
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
It’s an open forum, skip the threads you don’t want to read.
Old 13 December 2019, 02:48 AM   #32
Rondineli
Banned

Watch: DJ II
some come here to enjoy nice watch discussion, and related topics. And maybe escape or momentarily forget the occasional heaviness of real life. The constant display of 'officer down' threads which do not do anything whatsoever on the real life events, other than to potentially grieve far away stranger, has kept me away from this area of TRF.
Old 13 December 2019, 02:51 AM   #33
Rondineli
Banned

We recently had an officer down here in Houston and there are numerous local news reports on that, and the stupid police chief giving his stupid interviews "blaming people" members of a certain organization (such as me) that has nothing to do with the crime.

I would rather not come to TRF and be reminded of that once again, for example.
Old 13 December 2019, 02:53 AM   #34
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I find that the "Officer down" threads are well signed and could not be misinterpreted to mean anything else. Those that are interested click, those that aren't, don't click and scroll on by.
Agree with Dave's response.
Old 13 December 2019, 02:54 AM   #35
Rondineli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
It’s an open forum, skip the threads you don’t want to read.
Yes, I do that.
However, they are prominently displayed within the topics, almost daily.
Old 13 December 2019, 02:55 AM   #36
thedak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadbart View Post
As an ER Nurse Practitioner, I work closely with my local LE, but pushing one's own agenda while locking threads that may hurt one's personal bottom is getting old.
Everytime I’m in the ER I find the Murse to be the real pickle to work with.

Touché
Old 13 December 2019, 03:00 AM   #37
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
We've been down this road and the majority of us want to pay our respect to those in the LEO community who've fallen.

The rest don't click.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 13 December 2019, 03:01 AM   #38
Rondineli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
We've been down this road and the majority of us want to pay our respect to those in the LEO community who've fallen.

The rest don't click.
Understood.

And, the Houston police chief is an idiot. With all due respect.
Old 13 December 2019, 03:06 AM   #39
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I think it's important to pay respect to lives lost serving, but an individual thread for each lost life specifically of one type sometimes seems like a bit much.

Maybe one thread that is posted in and updated?

It occasionally feels like a heightened sense of importance specifically for one type of loss compared to all others, but I don't think there is a real agenda other than acknowledging the loss of someone killed in the line of duty.

Seems a little strange, but doesn't really bother me.
Old 13 December 2019, 03:14 AM   #40
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
It occasionally feels like a heightened sense of importance specifically for one type of loss compared to all others....
The obituraries are posted pretty much as they occur.

What we have here is a heightened sense of awareness.

The only reason so many are posted in a short time is because that many have died in that time.

If it's an affront, then don't click.

Old 13 December 2019, 03:24 AM   #41
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Interesting “opinion” I am of the mindset if you are not interested don’t click, and some are inclined to express themselves in these threads. At the same time we don’t post a new thread every time a military member is lost. Maybe a single LEO thread that is updated is a better idea.

Or... if you’re not interested don’t click
Old 13 December 2019, 03:32 AM   #42
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

If it's an affront, then don't click.
With respect, I don't think it's being represented as an affront. I think it's being perceived as inappropriate.

The LEOs here I'm sure all belong to sites for retired officers and share their feelings there, but on a watch site how does that relate. It's only happened because people on the site with power who are LEOs have determined that police deaths should be remarked upon.

As someone said we don't honor firefighters here, or solders or doctors or anyone else who is in the lifesaving professions, we just honor cops, and that's because they have the power over what is posted.

Not appreciating the postings is NOT anti police, it's merely just because there are ex officers here, how did we become a police-centric site.
Old 13 December 2019, 03:38 AM   #43
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
With all respect Blansky (because I really like your posts), LEOs are different in one regard: unlike military, docs, etc., LEOS are hated by many in their neighborhoods, and respected by others. Because of this mixed feeling, they have a particularly tough job doing their job. And how many military, firefighters, etc. are killed by thugs in the street? Police are murdered by the people they are enjoined to protect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
With respect, I don't think it's being represented as an affront. I think it's being perceived as inappropriate.

The LEOs here I'm sure all belong to sites for retired officers and share their feelings there, but on a watch site how does that relate. It's only happened because people on the site with power who are LEOs have determined that police deaths should be remarked upon.

As someone said we don't honor firefighters here, or solders or doctors or anyone else who is in the lifesaving professions, we just honor cops, and that's because they have the power over what is posted.

Not appreciating the postings is NOT anti police, it's merely just because there are ex officers here, how does that become a police-centric site.
Old 13 December 2019, 03:41 AM   #44
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
With all respect Blansky (because I really like your posts), LEOs are different in one regard: unlike military, docs, etc., LEOS are hated by many in their neighborhoods, and respected by others. Because of this mixed feeling, they have a particularly tough job doing their job. And how many military, firefighters, etc. are killed by thugs in the street? Police are murdered by the people they are enjoined to protect.
Probably true.

And that relates to a Rolex site how though.

I've belonged to a few watch sites and I've never seen an officer down post in any of them. Why here? Guess.

In fact TimeZone had a no death notice policy.
Old 13 December 2019, 03:43 AM   #45
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
While true, irrelevant to the conversation. If a mod wasn't a former officer, we wouldn't have these threads. If a non-mod started posting similar threads for the victims in their line of work, they would get locked. This is purely about the forum and not the victims the threads are mentioning.
Old 13 December 2019, 03:43 AM   #46
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
We certainly could and I'm fairly certain that posts have been made to honor others who have died in the line of duty.

Tim started his posts long before he became a moderator and he continues as a member of the group.

I have posted a memorial post to honor a friend of mine who was killed in Vietnam.

Others have posted memorials to others who were close to them.

As I've said, there has been a spate of these deaths among LEOs and that is the only reason there have been so many.

To call these posts spam is extremely disrespectful.

It's an open forum. Unless posts break rules, all members have the right to post as they see fit.

Old 13 December 2019, 03:49 AM   #47
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We certainly could and I'm fairly certain that posts have been made to honor others who have died in the line of duty.

Tim started his posts long before he became a moderator and he continues as a member of the group.

I have posted a memorial post to honor a friend of mine who was killed in Vietnam.

Others have posted memorials to others who were close to them.

As I've said, there has been a spate of these deaths among LEOs and that is the only reason there have been so many.

To call these posts spam is extremely disrespectful.

It's an open forum. Unless posts break rules, all members have the right to post as they see fit.

Old 13 December 2019, 03:52 AM   #48
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

I don't believe anyone who has voiced a concern is being disrespectful or anti LEO. It's a question of what's appropriate and where as another member said.

I really think the idea of having one post, make it a STICKY about fallen hero's is an excellent idea. It could be specific to LEO or make it for any person who gave their lives in service.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
Old 13 December 2019, 03:57 AM   #49
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:

Not appreciating the postings is NOT anti police, it's merely just because there are ex officers here, how did we become a police-centric site.
And I also respect your posts. Threads can be made about military members, firemen, doctors, anyone you want as long as it doesn't violate rules....
Old 13 December 2019, 04:13 AM   #50
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondineli View Post
We recently had an officer down here in Houston and there are numerous local news reports on that, and the stupid police chief giving his stupid interviews "blaming people" members of a certain organization (such as me) that has nothing to do with the crime.
I just googled the said chief; can't say I disagree with your sentiment on him.
Old 13 December 2019, 04:16 AM   #51
Noonan
Banned

So is it cool if we start posting threads for all the people who are killed BY police too?
Old 13 December 2019, 04:22 AM   #52
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

We probably need to tone this down a bit. Obviously this is a site for people to enjoy watches and each other.

But it's also a Rolex site, very possibly a rather older guy, conservative site, that deep down the police can do no wrong, and has a lot of LEOs in attendance.

I think controversial stuff like shootings should not be here but if it is it should not be agenda specific for anyone. Let's face it everyone has a bias on pretty much everything.

The people in charge can decide, what is best for EVERYONE.
Old 13 December 2019, 04:27 AM   #53
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
I do not mind. I feel the posts are respectful.
Old 13 December 2019, 04:29 AM   #54
Noonan
Banned

Quote:
We probably need to tone this down a bit. Obviously this is a site for people to enjoy watches and each other.

But it's also a Rolex site, very possibly a rather older guy, conservative site, that deep down the police can do no wrong, and has a lot of LEOs in attendance.

I think controversial stuff like shootings should not be here but if it is it should not be agenda specific for anyone. Let's face it everyone has a bias on pretty much everything.

Goes to my point. I don't mind the threads at all but I'd also rather not see a ton more for victims in other professions on the forum I go to to discuss watches. As others have said; if we all used this site to pay respects to people we've lost in our profession, that's all that would get posted here.
Old 13 December 2019, 04:30 AM   #55
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The guy in charge created these threads and posts, everyone has there own opinions, i for one could care less for yours
Old 13 December 2019, 04:37 AM   #56
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy17 View Post
....... i for one could care less for yours
Honey is that you.....

You sound like my wife.
Old 13 December 2019, 04:50 AM   #57
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Honey is that you.....

You sound like my wife.

That was funny!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
Old 13 December 2019, 05:03 AM   #58
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Honey is that you.....

You sound like my wife.
I was, and am, definitely staying out of this one.

But had to comment on this....

Very well done sir. Very well done.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 13 December 2019, 05:10 AM   #59
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Honey is that you.....

You sound like my wife.
.... i might look like her also
Old 13 December 2019, 05:11 AM   #60
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
I think the word "spam" is a little crude. Having one thread in this general discussion section to make these unfortunate incidents known is not unreasonable. I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt to the OP. But if its an issue, just don't click.

I'm not "offended" by threads from those who wish to acknowledge LEO tragic deaths in whatever format deemed acceptable to moderators.

Amazing how everyone is triggered nowadays on all sides of the opinion spectrum.