The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 August 2017, 11:49 AM   #1
hansterr
"TRF" Member

First vintage: 6694 vs 1501

Firstly, I am a new user here and so far I've found it to be a great resource! Thank you so much!

I am a new collector and would like to start my "real" watch collection and due to financial reasons I have decided to go for vintage as a way into the world of Rolex.

I am located in Japan, the issue is there is such a massive selection and I have managed to narrow it down to these 2 watches.

Oyster Perpetual Date 1501
1965 cal. 1560

Oyster Date 6694
1971 cal. 1225

The prices of the 2 are very similar, both around the $2000 mark from a respectable vintage watch shop in Tokyo.

I am also new to watch collecting, therefore I can't say that down the line I may sell it on when my philosophy as a collector starts to develop. So, this leads to my next question: which of the 2 do you think in your experience will lose less money down the line? Which would you consider more of a collectors piece that will hold its value better?

They both look to be in good condition for their age. The parts are all original without any modifications whatsoever and they have been recently serviced. The 6694 has a small scratch on the glass and is about $300 cheaper in price.

In terms of appearance and practicality I tend to lean towards the 1501 with the engine turned bezel and the automatic movement.

Thanks for helping out I hope to learn a lot from your answers!
hansterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 12:45 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
The 1501 has a replacement dial, and the top right lug is so overpolished that it's too short. Forget that one.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 11:15 PM   #3
hansterr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The 1501 has a replacement dial, and the top right lug is so overpolished that it's too short. Forget that one.
Thanks so much for your insight! Well, I didn't realise that the dial had been replaced and now that you say the lug does look noticeably shorter!

If I went with the 6694 do you think it'll will retain it's value well? I appreciate your help!
Old 8 August 2017, 01:28 AM   #4
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

A 6694 is a very nice watch....

There is a romance with winding it every day.

For some that also becomes a bother.

1500 - 1501 are bargains really...because you can usually pick one up for a bit less than the Datejust...of the same era...only...it's the exact same watch except for the case size. So if you don't MIND a 34mm watch...you get the workhorse 1560- 1570 automatic movement..for a bit less money. They are out there and your bargaining chip is stronger because of the size.

The 6694 has come up in the last 10 years or so because everything has come up...MINT ones used to be 1200. USD.

It's probably easier to find a good 1501 with an original dial than it is a 6694. It was a more popular watch.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2017, 08:35 AM   #5
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansterr View Post
Thanks so much for your insight! Well, I didn't realise that the dial had been replaced and now that you say the lug does look noticeably shorter!

If I went with the 6694 do you think it'll will retain it's value well? I appreciate your help!
Here's a pretty good article on the 6694: https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-...recision-6694/

Do you read Japanese? I have a Japanese Rolex magazine somewhere with a whole feature on the 6694 that I can scan if you do (and if I can find it).

The 6694 was very popular in Hong Kong, and I suspect Japan too, in its day, and they are very easy to find here. Prices seem to have gone up a little in the last couple of years, but then most Rolex have anyway. I'd be looking for a more recent one, (they ended in about 1989), as I wouldn't want to be winding a vintage piece daily (other would disagree with me, though).
Old 8 August 2017, 10:59 AM   #6
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
I find the aesthetics of the 6694 much more pleasing than the 1500. The auto 34mms sit pretty high on the wrist. I prefer the flat back of the manual wind myself. Been wearing a 6426 no date precision for 5 years now without any hiccups. Probably due for a service since idk if it was serviced when I bought it.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2017, 07:13 PM   #7
hansterr
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your replies! I much appreciate the knowledge you have to share it is really an enlightening experience!

Quote:
Do you read Japanese? I have a Japanese Rolex magazine somewhere with a whole feature on the 6694 that I can scan if you do (and if I can find it).
I would very much appreciate the article if you can find it! Reading it won't be a problem ;)

That Fratello article was also an interesting read, seems like an underdog in terms of recognition and that kind of makes it more attractive to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
1500 - 1501 are bargains really...because you can usually pick one up for a bit less than the Datejust...of the same era...only...it's the exact same watch except for the case size. So if you don't MIND a 34mm watch...you get the workhorse 1560- 1570 automatic movement..for a bit less money. They are out there and your bargaining chip is stronger because of the size.

The 6694 has come up in the last 10 years or so because everything has come up...MINT ones used to be 1200. USD.

It's probably easier to find a good 1501 with an original dial than it is a 6694. It was a more popular watch.
That's very interesting, it seems like they both have something going for them. The 1501 being a kind of "junior Datejust" at a much cheaper price and the 6694 being rarer it will also be quite good at keeping it's value.

Do you think the polishing affects the value a great deal? The bottom right lug on the 6694 looks a little bit thinner and sharper than the other side, is this something to be concerned about when considering it's value?

Would you say $2000 for either is a bit on the pricey side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
I find the aesthetics of the 6694 much more pleasing than the 1500. The auto 34mms sit pretty high on the wrist. I prefer the flat back of the manual wind myself. Been wearing a 6426 no date precision for 5 years now without any hiccups. Probably due for a service since idk if it was serviced when I bought it.
I think I agree with you on that one, they both are aesthically pleasing but I do think the 6694 has a more simple beauty about it!
Old 9 August 2017, 09:07 PM   #8
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Some sure...but you can't be too hard on this one aspect. As long as it's not severe...you can't necessarily guarantee that this didn't occur originally. I was told by the former head of consumer service that the cases up into the 90's were hand finished. They were not always 100% symmetrical and this is as has been discussed at length evident in print ads from many decades.
Old 9 August 2017, 09:12 PM   #9
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

The smooth bezel variant of the 1500 is almost indistinguishable from the 6694. The height difference is there but hardly noticeable. The cases are almost identical size and use the same bracelet config excepting possibly the end links. Same width possibly a different profile. I don't have them all memorized. 2k for the ODP is pricey to me. 2K for the O P Date is not necessarily. It's a WHOLE lot more watch. The calendar mechanism is more sophisticated and it's automatic. Automatic will trump hand wind any day for most people. I agree there is a romance with a hand wind watch and I love the ODP but...most people in a secondary market situation are going to buy the automatic AND...the OP Date is a chronometer grade movement whereas the ODP is not...although they very often will keep OSC time. It's just a different animal a 1225 is NOT a 1575 without the autowind. It's a completely different movement altogether.
Old 10 August 2017, 01:30 AM   #10
motoikkyu
"TRF" Member

You may trust Mr. Taylor (R.W.T.) implicitly for his objective knowledge of these models. I have worn both watches, they feel quite similar on the wrist. If anything, the 6694 feels a bit "bigger", maybe because I had a higher crystal on it. I encourage you to try the watches you are considering on your own wrist and see how they make you feel: the world of vintage is subjective. When you obsess about "value" and "likely to increase" you are short-changing yourself --trust your instincts and buy what "speaks" to you. As for me, I still wear a 6694 sometimes, I have sold my 1501 (very similar to the one you posted) years ago because I knew I'd never wear it again (I have multiple DateJust situation, very embarrassing).
Old 10 August 2017, 01:38 AM   #11
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

I like both watches. The 6694 is a dream to work on movement wise. The only issue that really ever comes up is the sweep seconds drive wheel...must be VERY true...

These often get a little warped when they are not carefully removed. In most cases it's not critical in the run if they aren't 100% true and many sweep wheels on many watches are not. I love it when I don't have to try and straighten them up and they come to me perfectly true.

That being said...the back is VERY shallow on this model and the clearance is critical. It's got to run flat...

They either do or they don't...if it's running it won't give trouble...it's just something I've run into a couple of times.

I've had both watches. I don't have huge wrists. They both suit me just fine.
Old 10 August 2017, 03:26 PM   #12
Old Expat Beast

...as promised.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (181.8 KB, 569 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (192.6 KB, 567 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (209.9 KB, 567 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (221.3 KB, 570 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (211.4 KB, 566 views)
Old 12 August 2017, 06:39 PM   #13
hansterr
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much for this!

And thank you all for your insights it has allowed me to adjust my plans I will definitely go and try them on and see which one *clicks* I've got a feeling which it might be though.

Thanks for being so helpful even though I'm a noob that clearly lacks knowledge in this area :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 12 August 2017, 07:15 PM   #14
Old Expat Beast

No problem. Feel free to put up more pics of potential purchases.
Old 14 August 2017, 06:01 PM   #15
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

+1 !
Old 19 November 2017, 08:54 AM   #16
mrpoolparty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...as promised.
Any chance you could translate what's being said in numbered items #1-5 for the 6694?
mrpoolparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2018, 10:35 PM   #17
mirrorman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster 30
+1 ! - for the pics and the translation
mirrorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2018, 06:52 AM   #18
68shark
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 Oysterdate
I'm new here but not new to Rolex or some other forums. A very interesting post. I have a 6694 that Tommy (RWT) brought back from the grave. New dial, hands, datewheel, full service etc. On my wrist now and I love it! I have had many other models and having a small wrist (6.5") it fits perfect. Better than other models I've had like 1603, 5513, 16753, 16570. I do agree though that for resale you can't go wrong with a DJ or Date with the chrono certified movements. I like winding watches but not everybody does. In fact, I procured this watch from Tommy for a friend that wanted a relatively inexpensive Rolex. Why do I have it? Because said friend became weary of winding it each day. I have now sourced a 1600 DJ (also from Tommy) to replace it. If I were the OP, I'd go with the 6694 but I'd also suggest before doing so, consider a 1601 or 1600 as an option. Try them on and see what calls out to you.
68shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 04:51 PM   #19
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
I was caught up by the 6694 recently and got smitten by it.
The silver dial / yellow gold hands is truly out of this world, those pointy hands are in a class of its own. Another gilt dial also nails everything right for me.
I look for a manual winding watch in the collection, frees up space in my winding watch box when wearing in rotation.
The 34mm size is bloody charming and adds to conversation, plus endless 19mm strap options makes this chameleon extremely versatile.

On items #1-5 in the article, I'm guess the author points out the variance of the 6694 throughout its history.
Indices (arrows to batons)
Dauphine hands pre mid 60s
Quickset date or date wheel colour?
Dial colour options (sunburst/ matt)
Clasp change