The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 February 2018, 04:44 PM   #1
vintagehartmann
"TRF" Member

Buying to Hold

Have you ever bought a piece just to hold on to it?

I had sold off my vintage Rolex and have just two Pateks. Am happy with both of them, with the piece of mind that Patek will service and maintain them properly.

Then I saw this one-owner 6694 bought in 1973. He kept the original guarantee and sales receipt, and he let it go after 40-something years.

I have no intention of wearing this, unless maybe if I can find a 78350 bracelet that fits my wrist (the folded link 7835 bracelet has too few links), but am happy to have it anyway.

Was wondering if anyone else here has bought pieces they don’t wear?

vintagehartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 04:57 PM   #2
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

For me, having a piece that I do not wear eventually leads to me deciding to sell it. Should probably just get a new bracelet or try resizing via clasp if you haven't.
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 06:37 PM   #3
chows99
"TRF" Member

Oh my. This watch is sold in Singapore! If you are looking to let go, please PM me. I would love to owe a watch with original papers.
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 10:08 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I buy my watches to wear.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 10:21 PM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Buying to Hold

I would and considered doing that during the financial crisis when 16610’s could be had for $3000-ish. Now some 10 years later they are back up by double that amount. A 10% yield while little risk.

What would the motive be to buy and hold (without wearing it) except to gain from an appreciated value?

For the OP, I’d look into an original period-correct crystal. Something’s wrong with the cyclops on the one you pictured IMHO.

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 10:49 PM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I have collected a few old Rolex, Seiko and Tudor sets with box and papers from the 1960s, originally from Spain (USAF base), Singapore and UK, that I like to keep just to look at and wear at home occasionally.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 12:09 AM   #7
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

I haven't sold a watch since 2008 so I guess I'm holding them. They are not investments but frankly, I'd rather have a bunch of Rolex and Tudors to play with than depreciating fiat cash. I only bought one to hold specifically, this one.

It was near NOS with full box and papers and very inexpensive. It had two things in common with some vintage superstars; it's unpopular and it has a bit of red on the dial. :) There was a time you couldn't give away a Daytona, they sat at the AD for years. :)

I had planned to wear it a bit but it's like strapping on an unbalanced hockey puck. Very uncomfortable. I haven't seen it in a couple of years, it's in a bank somewhere.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 01:12 AM   #8
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
I wear all of mine but then mine are all rather more 'honest' examples than most of the collector's pieces we see in all their sparkling glory here. Vintage mechanical calculators on the other hand, I have some I haven't looked out in ten years!
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 02:16 AM   #9
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
I wear all of mine but then mine are all rather more 'honest' examples than most of the collector's pieces we see in all their sparkling glory here. Vintage mechanical calculators on the other hand, I have some I haven't looked out in ten years!
By my calculation's something here doesn't add up , it seems a little odd , but just to even things up ,I think I've figured it out ..
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 03:02 AM   #10
John Ireland
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Soup King View Post
Would love to see pictures of your 1012, 1013 and 1018s. More than a few of each have passed through my hands and been on my wrist over the years. These are my favorite models. Currently I have two 1013s and a 1018.
Regards,
John
John Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 08:35 AM   #11
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I have a collection of duo-dial watches from the 1930s, not the Rolex Prince but other Swiss brands. They look lousy on me, but I enjoy collecting them.
Old 21 February 2018, 02:31 PM   #12
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Yea, I'll admit I'm a hoarder. I used to even admit to that in my signature, until I acquired additional pieces and had to modify my sig........

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 07:04 PM   #13
milov
"TRF" Member

The irony is that that exact 6694 on a jubilee is the only watch I have ever sold. And I can't tell you how much I regret having done that!
milov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 08:28 AM   #14
loobster09
"TRF" Member

There is only one reason i buy my watches, which is to wear them
loobster09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 11:07 AM   #15
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I very rarely wear my gilt 5513 or my GMT 1675. Not because I'm scared to wear them - they just don't sing to me much (heresy, I know). They're just there as collection must-haves.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 02:10 PM   #16
The Thomas J
Banned

I have the same watch. It's a hand wound. It's 29mm and considered a boys watch. I am going to give it to my Son when he makes his first Communion in 2 years. You are fortunate that yours came with a bracelet.
The Thomas J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 11:51 PM   #17
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ireland View Post
Would love to see pictures of your 1012, 1013 and 1018s. More than a few of each have passed through my hands and been on my wrist over the years. These are my favorite models. Currently I have two 1013s and a 1018.
Regards,
John
It's this new phone I got after the slippery fingers incident, the thing is incapable of taking any picture closer than three feet away, it's awful (only bad Sony product I've ever had, in forty years!) I'll post some pics as soon as I can figure out this Galaxy Tab thing I bought. When the 1013 is back together (still with LAWW and the movement at my watchmakers and the bracelet in my safe) I'm looking forward to putting up some pics of that too. These links are all I have right now!
https://imgur.com/a/5U2Gt https://imgur.com/a/J1x36 https://imgur.com/a/QFjgL https://imgur.com/a/kh5ul https://imgur.com/a/lMv9U https://imgur.com/a/wsoI6
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote