The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 2 February 2018, 09:59 AM   #1
casa
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
Thoughts on the panerai 562 as a first panerai

Good morning gentlemen,

I am a big fan of rolex but lately I seem to be attracted to panerai. I have a chance to acquire a new 562 but I am on the fence about it. I am not really careful with my watches and I love wearing them in all the time. My rolex watches have held up quite well and even cosmetically there are no really large marks on them despite having had a few close calls. I wonder if the 562, being made of titanium, will wear as well? I have read conflicting statements about how titanium watches hold their own against scratches (some say they scratch easily, while others claim “self healing” properties) so I thought I ask the group what their experience has been.

This will be my first panerai and I would like this to be a keeper.

Cheers,
Carlos
casa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 12:16 PM   #2
diverdoug
Banned

Watch: YG GMT/blue Sky-D
I have four titanium dive watches,and they mark very easily. Never noticed any type of healing, other than so many scratches that you have all areas scratched.
diverdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 03:41 PM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

The Ti and chocolate dial make for a great combo, IMO.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 04:39 PM   #4
Pocosso
"TRF" Member

Watch: RO/ROO/PAM/DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
The Ti and chocolate dial make for a great combo, IMO.
True!
Few monthes ago I had the chance to buy a PAM 351, Ti, Chocolate Dial, Gold Hands. I got immediately addicted.
ROO(Ti)-RO-ROC
PAN0055-PAM351-PAM733-PAM721
Type XX-XXI
Pocosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 08:38 PM   #5
Jspedersen
"TRF" Member

I have a 562, and i love it, especially the weight when compared to steel...
Being titanium I thought it would be more tough and difficult to scratch, and I actually think it is, but it might just be more visual due to the brushed finish of the watch, vs the polished steel
Anyhow for me it’s a great watch, and i would buy it again today if i had to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jspedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 10:02 PM   #6
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned numerous watches made of titanium and have never had an issue with excessive wear or damage. I enjoy the weight and change up from SS or PM. With that said be careful in your purchase of a Panerai. The market is very soft on the trade values or private sale. Without a significant discount of 20-25% on a new watch or at least 40% off the retail price on a slightly used watch you will get your feelings hurt when you go to move the watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 01:24 AM   #7
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
The 562 is in the top 3 or 4 of my favorite watches. The brown dial really is awesome in person.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 03:53 AM   #8
Bushido
"TRF" Member

I have some titanium watches from a couple different brands and have had no issues with any of them. I've owned my 615 for some time, wear it regularly in rotation, and it has barely a mark on it. My personal experience is that Ti holds up very well.
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 09:51 AM   #9
casa
"TRF" Member

between SS and titanium which would look better after a year?

Thank you gentlemen for all the insights . If it were a choice between stainless steel and titanium which would you choose? I know that titanium is lighter but as far as its ability to take on wear and tear, which would look better after a year? I ask because I also found a 2 year old 112 available for around 2 thousand USD less. Although I do like the choco dial and lightness of the 562, I know that many panerai enthusiasts regard the 112 highly.
Old 3 February 2018, 09:59 AM   #10
itsjknight
"TRF" Member

I had a 111 & 112 many years ago and now have the 560. I love the 8 day movement and “8 Days” writing on the dial. I say go for the 560 or 562.
itsjknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 08:46 PM   #11
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casa View Post
Thank you gentlemen for all the insights . If it were a choice between stainless steel and titanium which would you choose? I know that titanium is lighter but as far as its ability to take on wear and tear, which would look better after a year? I ask because I also found a 2 year old 112 available for around 2 thousand USD less. Although I do like the choco dial and lightness of the 562, I know that many panerai enthusiasts regard the 112 highly.
You really can't go wrong with either the 562 or 112..it a matter of your preference...the 562 has a significantly upgraded in house 8 day movement and wears very light on the wrist...the 112 is pure Pre V DNA...both have tons of merits...do you want new or pre owned; black dial or brown dial; does power reserve matter? As far as wearability is concerned, I have plenty of TI watches and they have held up well for years...just don't wear a beaded bracelet next to it and it will be fine!

Good luck on your decision and I hope to welcome you to the club!
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 08:52 PM   #12
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have owned numerous watches made of titanium and have never had an issue with excessive wear or damage. I enjoy the weight and change up from SS or PM. With that said be careful in your purchase of a Panerai. The market is very soft on the trade values or private sale. Without a significant discount of 20-25% on a new watch or at least 40% off the retail price on a slightly used watch you will get your feelings hurt when you go to move the watch.
I actually diasagree with your assessment of the market as it relates to Panerai. I see it much softer with other brands than with Panerai, especially in the USD 6 k price point. you will not lose anywhere close to 40% off of retail if you buy a 562. And if you buy at a discount of 10%, even if you lose 25-30%off of retail, you are still only losing 1k on a watch that you wear and enjoy. Not a bad deal IMO. I don't think Rolex is any different and I have bought and sold a far share of both.
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 01:18 PM   #13
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I think titanium 44mm luminor wears very well. but I would stay away from them if you like your watch in LNIB condition all the times. Titanium does pick up scratches easier than SS.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 07:13 PM   #14
casa
"TRF" Member

it's done!

thank you all. I have made a decision - watch out for a new thread