The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 3 February 2018, 10:09 AM   #1
Aventura
"TRF" Member

polished, brushed questions.

I'm interested in buying a Panerai. I am new to this brand as I just started to see the models in the photos I would like to know when talking about cases and bezel that there is a difference between polished steel and brushed titanium. I guess the polished is brighter but I want to be sure. I also do not understand when in 1351 they speak of polished titanium. Is it as bright as polished steel? Thank you.
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 08:37 PM   #2
erik asher
"TRF" Member

There is a big difference between the look of polished steel v brushed titanium (not to mention that TI is a much lighter material so will wear lighter on the wrist)...the polished SS is much brighter...all of the current TI watches offer a brushed TI case and a polished TI bezel...the polished TI bezel looks very nice with the brushed case...there have been some who brushed the bezel to match exactly with the case; an interesting look but I would never do it...a brushed TI case with polished TI bezel is a very nice look..

Hope to welcome you to the club soon!!
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 12:27 AM   #3
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik asher View Post
There is a big difference between the look of polished steel v brushed titanium (not to mention that TI is a much lighter material so will wear lighter on the wrist)...the polished SS is much brighter...all of the current TI watches offer a brushed TI case and a polished TI bezel...the polished TI bezel looks very nice with the brushed case...there have been some who brushed the bezel to match exactly with the case; an interesting look but I would never do it...a brushed TI case with polished TI bezel is a very nice look..

Hope to welcome you to the club soon!!
Hello
Thanks for your explanation. I was really inclining for the 1005. I wanted a clock with date but I did not like the cyclope of the Luminor line but now I found a model that I like and that does not escape me so much from the budget. It's the model 904. It does not convince me that it's automatic because I had a Rolex that had differences of several seconds per day and I think the manual movements are more accurate. ( or am I wrong?).
Well ... thanks again .. I have to find out which of the two movements is more accurate because it is something that worries me to make the choice.
Regards.
Old 5 February 2018, 03:35 AM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you like the 1005, consider a pre-owned 005 instead.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 08:58 AM   #5
Pocosso
"TRF" Member

Watch: RO/ROO/PAM/DAYTONA
Don’t warry, once you will buy a Panerai, anyone, you will understand that it will not the last one.
They are like a kind of drug, you will be addicted.
So buy the one you like more, enjoy it, and just thin to the next one.
Jokes apart, the Ti one is much lighter, very confortable to wear. The St. One is very solid but heavy, shining and difficult to result anonymous.
Start with a Ti one.

This is what I did.

I have many now.

D.
ROO(Ti)-RO-ROC
PAN0055-PAM351-PAM733-PAM721
Type XX-XXI
Pocosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 11:55 AM   #6
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
This^^
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 11:18 PM   #7
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Thanks for the advice. I liked always the 005 and my budget will be much more relieved. They are hard times.
Regards
Old 5 February 2018, 11:27 PM   #8
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocosso View Post
Don’t warry, once you will buy a Panerai, anyone, you will understand that it will not the last one.
They are like a kind of drug, you will be addicted.
So buy the one you like more, enjoy it, and just thin to the next one.
Jokes apart, the Ti one is much lighter, very confortable to wear. The St. One is very solid but heavy, shining and difficult to result anonymous.
Start with a Ti one.

This is what I did.

I have many now.

D.
Thanks to you also for the advice. It's true ... almost all Panerai watches are very beautiful I will try not to become addicted because I could not afford the cost of them. That's why I think the best thing for me is to look for a pre-owned 005 as my friend Erik suggested.
Anyway it must be difficult to get PAM 904 used to get a reasonable price because it is a very new model.
Apart I still did not see it personally because I just sold my Rolex and now I'm looking for Panerai. What I was looking for was a watch with a calendar but well ... I'll sacrifice that taste for now.
I did not understand the meaning of "St. One" anyway.
Regards.
Old 5 February 2018, 11:59 PM   #9
Pocosso
"TRF" Member

Watch: RO/ROO/PAM/DAYTONA
I would suggest to have a look toma pre owned PAM 351, titaniun, chocolate dial and gold hands, one of the most beautiful ever.
ROO(Ti)-RO-ROC
PAN0055-PAM351-PAM733-PAM721
Type XX-XXI
Pocosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2018, 03:02 AM   #10
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventura View Post
Thanks to you also for the advice. It's true ... almost all Panerai watches are very beautiful I will try not to become addicted because I could not afford the cost of them. That's why I think the best thing for me is to look for a pre-owned 005 as my friend Erik suggested.
Anyway it must be difficult to get PAM 904 used to get a reasonable price because it is a very new model.
Apart I still did not see it personally because I just sold my Rolex and now I'm looking for Panerai. What I was looking for was a watch with a calendar but well ... I'll sacrifice that taste for now.
I did not understand the meaning of "St. One" anyway.
Regards.
Why not get the 372.. I love mine.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2018, 10:29 AM   #11
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocosso View Post
I would suggest to have a look toma pre owned PAM 351, titaniun, chocolate dial and gold hands, one of the most beautiful ever.
I was looking at it in Panerai's online catalog. Yes ... we agree that it is a beauty. But there is also another 1351 model that is exactly the same, the only differences are the blue minute hand, and they have put another movement in it. I do not understand why Panerai makes almost equal models and changes the article number and not because it places another movement. But good ... your reasons will have. But one gets confused enough.
Thanks.
Old 6 February 2018, 10:31 AM   #12
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
Why not get the 372.. I love mine.
Too big. 47 mm.
Old 6 February 2018, 01:07 PM   #13
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Too big. 47 mm.
Panerai is not a dress watch. It’s a military tool watch and it should be worn oversized.. ie XXL. 372 case have very short lugs, you do be surprised it wears very well on smaller wrist. 372 is one of the purist Pam you can buy now. Now they are only available in sapphire crystal is the down point.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2018, 06:55 PM   #14
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was looking at it in Panerai's online catalog. Yes ... we agree that it is a beauty. But there is also another 1351 model that is exactly the same, the only differences are the blue minute hand, and they have put another movement in it. I do not understand why Panerai makes almost equal models and changes the article number and not because it places another movement. But good ... your reasons will have. But one gets confused enough.
Thanks.
There is a tremendous amount to learn about the nuances of the brand and the different PAMs...the 351 has a P.9000 movement...excellent auto 3 days and reliable...the PAM 1351 has an updated P. 9010 movement...this updated movement is thinner, which allows the 1351 case to be thinner...the 1351 also comes with a blue subsecond hand...the 351 is now retired and being replaced by the 1351...both are light as they are made with TI, but 1351 will wear lower on the wrist...

I also agree that it's better to pick up a preowned 005 then go with a new 1005. The 1005 has a snap on case back, less WR, and an integrated bezel with a 56 hour ETA movement. The 005 has a screw in case back, non integrated bezel, 300m WR, and the 56 hour ETA movement.

There are also new logo models that were introduced in SIHH; they are "upgraded" with a 3 day in house movement (these models will replace the 1005), but they still have the snap on case back and integrated bezel. One step forward and two steps back.
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 08:59 AM   #15
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik asher View Post
There is a tremendous amount to learn about the nuances of the brand and the different PAMs...the 351 has a P.9000 movement...excellent auto 3 days and reliable...the PAM 1351 has an updated P. 9010 movement...this updated movement is thinner, which allows the 1351 case to be thinner...the 1351 also comes with a blue subsecond hand...the 351 is now retired and being replaced by the 1351...both are light as they are made with TI, but 1351 will wear lower on the wrist...

I also agree that it's better to pick up a preowned 005 then go with a new 1005. The 1005 has a snap on case back, less WR, and an integrated bezel with a 56 hour ETA movement. The 005 has a screw in case back, non integrated bezel, 300m WR, and the 56 hour ETA movement.

There are also new logo models that were introduced in SIHH; they are "upgraded" with a 3 day in house movement (these models will replace the 1005), but they still have the snap on case back and integrated bezel. One step forward and two steps back.
Very good explanations and advice, I thank you.
Regards.