The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 October 2006, 08:58 PM   #1
rusi
Banned

Icon2 Tritium markers

I have recently bought/exchanged a few vintage watches. A 5513 ft=m & then Submariner,Circa.1971, 1680 Red Sub circa.1971 & a 1675 circa.1972. Serviced by Rolex. [B]My main problem is what precaution to take to keep the tritium on the dial & hands intact pl. guide & advise.
rusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2006, 11:10 PM   #2
mike
"TRF" Member

Hi rusi,

I think this is always an issue those of us that have a fondness for vintage pieces are always concerned with.
IMHO opinion more damage is done to dials and hands (and the watch in general) from lack of service than anything else.
Not only is it important to have the piece serviced properly, but I feel it's critical to ensure the water resistance of the watch.
Even if the watch is not exposed directly to water, humidity and the acidity in sweat can be devastating to the internals of a watch. Several in the vintage community, in an effort to maintain the orginality of a vintage piece,
have used NOS crystals only to find the watch fail a pressure test.
As was discussed in a recent threat, acryllic crystals can over time develop small stress cracks even if not used and not seal properly.
Hence the reason crystals, gaskets, crowns and tubes are replaced at service.
I would humbly submit this is a reason one sees corrision on older hands before Rolex used WG.
As I'm sure you know,the tritium compound used in the older paint matrix of vintage watches can have a tendency to age over time. This "patina" seems to be a natural aging process. It does seem to vary in degree. One of the theories disscussed has been the amount of exposure to light (UV radition) the watch has seen over it's life.
Whether one prefers the snowy white dials or an ivory color or the coffee color some like I think is a personal preference.
I have pieces with different colorations and am more concerned with consistancy and a matching of the dial and hands than anything else.

Understand that even though tritium has a half life of around 12.5 years it may still be possible to experience some faint lume with an older piece.
Tritium, by itself, does not glow nor does it need an outside light source to "charge" as does luminova.
Tritium emits beta radiation that excites the phosphors compound in the paint to glow. Even after tritium degrades this phosphor can still emit a faint glow.
I have watches that are much older than 12 years that will still givea faint glow.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2006, 11:35 PM   #3
Rodmo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 Subs/2 Daytonas
Very nice and helpful explanation Mike........thank you!
Rodmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2006, 11:49 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Have to agree with all that Mike has already said, always best to keep watch as original as possible.Now bezels, inserts, seals, crown tubes and crystals are OK to be changed, and just part of watches service life.But most collectors would like to see original dial, and to a second degree hands as well.Cases can be gently polished but IMO a vintage watch does not what to look brand new,unless you are fortunate to find a NOS watch out there..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2006, 04:50 AM   #5
rusi
Banned

Thanks

Hi, Mike & Padi,
I understand all that Mike has explained is absolutely true & I shall definately take his advise very seriously.
I have gone through similar instance when my 1655 , bought brand new by my wife as my 1st wedding anniversary gift, has had its hr. markers & hands coffee colour due to humidity, my sweat & non service.
rusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2006, 09:58 AM   #6
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Hi rusi,

I think this is always an issue those of us that have a fondness for vintage pieces are always concerned with.
IMHO opinion more damage is done to dials and hands (and the watch in general) from lack of service than anything else.
Not only is it important to have the piece serviced properly, but I feel it's critical to ensure the water resistance of the watch.
Even if the watch is not exposed directly to water, humidity and the acidity in sweat can be devastating to the internals of a watch. Several in the vintage community, in an effort to maintain the orginality of a vintage piece,
have used NOS crystals only to find the watch fail a pressure test.
As was discussed in a recent threat, acryllic crystals can over time develop small stress cracks even if not used and not seal properly.
Hence the reason crystals, gaskets, crowns and tubes are replaced at service.
I would humbly submit this is a reason one sees corrision on older hands before Rolex used WG.
As I'm sure you know,the tritium compound used in the older paint matrix of vintage watches can have a tendency to age over time. This "patina" seems to be a natural aging process. It does seem to vary in degree. One of the theories disscussed has been the amount of exposure to light (UV radition) the watch has seen over it's life.
Whether one prefers the snowy white dials or an ivory color or the coffee color some like I think is a personal preference.
I have pieces with different colorations and am more concerned with consistancy and a matching of the dial and hands than anything else.

Understand that even though tritium has a half life of around 12.5 years it may still be possible to experience some faint lume with an older piece.
Tritium, by itself, does not glow nor does it need an outside light source to "charge" as does luminova.
Tritium emits beta radiation that excites the phosphors compound in the paint to glow. Even after tritium degrades this phosphor can still emit a faint glow.
I have watches that are much older than 12 years that will still givea faint glow.
Great explanation, Mike. I think the UV ray theory may not be true. A collector on another site bought a Rolex and put it in a bank vault. It still had a nice pantina after x number of years. I doubt there is any UV rays inside a bank deposit box so I am skeptical of that particular explanation. Thanks,
maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote