The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 October 2006, 01:30 PM   #1
Val

Icon5 It's hard sometimes...

Good evening TRF, as some of you may know, I am employed by a well known AD. That being said, I feel I need to vent a bit... This happens almost everyday, I am showing my Rolexes, my customers are loving what I'm showing, I show with great care and superb knowledge, I have what they want... then they say things like, I am definitely interested, I will buy, I'll be back ____ yade yada yada. Then I never hear from them again. sigh. I completely respect the fact that not everyone can afford one, heck I never really saw one up close till I started working here @ BB. It is really disheartning, as it happens on almost a daily basis. Here's another one, you guys will love this. "Please get me the SS Daytona, put me one the list!" We as a store do not keep a list, but as individuel associates, we do. We tell them that it is an extreamly hard Rolex to come by, if one becomes available and I call you, you need to be ready to purchase right then and there! "yeah sure, no problem". Then... nothing! HUH! WHAT! When we do get one, we sell it at list, we may get one once every 2 or 3 months, but we get them. They are not always reserved. The same goes for the LV.... sorry, it's hard to be on this side of the counter sometimes...
(getting of the soapbox)
Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I hear you.
One thing I never say is "I'll be back" when I have no intention of doing so.
More polite to just say "thanks for you assistance"
Hard to always smile at the customer

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2006, 02:04 PM   #3
writer
"TRF" Member

It's hard for customers too. I live in New York City and I don't feel comfortable going into Rolex ADs. I walk in with jeans and a t-shirt and the employees give me a "how dare you walk in here dressed like a peasant" look. The last time I walked into an AD I purposely made sure I flashed my Submariner to the salesman before I tried on an Omega. Maybe your customers are trying on the watches to see how they look before buying elsewhere (online maybe) for less money. I hope my comments don't seem snide. That's not my intention.
writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2006, 02:36 PM   #4
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
i hear ya brotha, sometimes you must get the occasional looky lou that has no intentions of even buying one but wanna come into waste a salespersons time.....i hate those types of people!

the lv and daytona story, you have to love the fact that they are sooo rare and people just think they can waltz in and buy one at list and they are doing you a favor.

btw what bb do you work at ?

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2006, 02:45 PM   #5
aaron850

Watch: GMT II Blk/Blk
everybody wants a daytona, I would take it with a grain of salt
aaron850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2006, 03:26 PM   #6
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
*GROUP HUG*

This type of thing happens to ALL SALESMEN not just with watches. Some people are really just browsing, but then there are some that just want to waste your time. Then there are those ppl who show ZERO loyalty to a store/salesperson and then expect the world when they do buy something (like never buying something and want you to put them on top of the "list" or put their names on everyone's list) I have had customers in the past where I bent over backwards to get them every car part they wanted (often bringing in stuff from England, Japan and the US) only to have them buy somewhere else later, then they have the nerve to come around my store later and want a hard to get item for a huge discount.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2006, 03:53 PM   #7
amanda
Banned

Everyone has to start somewhere and with a purchase as expensive as a Rolex I am sure lots of people might think they want one until they actually try it on... they see what the fuss is about and then move on. Or as someone else said, they buy used or off the net at considerable discount. I look at it this way.... someone sells their used Rolex, they buy a new one, the person that cant afford new buys the used Rolex which in turn helps that person buy the new one!

It alll goes around...

I can understand its frustrating.... but it goes with the territory. I work in IT... I constantly deal with people who have issues with Lotus Notes (I am a Domino Admin) their always stressed... always in a hurry and every issue they have is URGENT must be fixed now. Generally it's a thankless job but someone has to do it right? Actually I tell a tiny fib here, I dont do support anymore, I am in the background building servers etc but still, thats how it used to be.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2006, 04:05 PM   #8
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
I hear you Val.
Nothing worse in sales than tyre kickers!

But, I guess a lot of people find it hard to say 'no', especially when they're shopping for something expensive, they may wish to save face. I agree with John, if I'm just browsing or thinking, I tell them so. If they're a decent enough salesman they'll give me the same treatment and try to convert me into a potential buyer, but I never say "I'll be back" if I don't intent to...
Old 2 October 2006, 04:21 PM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Val,

Being in sales has its ups and downs. Sometimes, the person you least expect to give you a sale, does so....and vice versa.

Also, never ever judge a person's capacity to buy from what he's wearing. I've been in sales myself and seen guys come in dressed like vagabonds, pull out large rolls of cash.....and do the deal!!

Just keep your chin up and THINK POSITIVE. If you let your self-esteem and morale down, it does come across on your face and the customer, in turn, can SENSE it!!

Smile and be genuine about it. It'll work, my friend.

Good luck and keep that chin up!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2006, 10:35 PM   #10
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
My AD took the risk that I would be a customer one day and treated me very well. I bought on about my 8th visit to the store. It would have been sooner but the first salesman I met rubbed me the wrong way. His sales tactics were better served for selling used cars or cell phones. That's fine, it works on some people but not me.

I also made sure to get just what I want and determine the level of knowledge of the salesman. If he only knows what's on the surface, how willing is he to take an extra step for me?

As a result, I have told him that I want either a SS Daytona with white face and/or a TT GMT II Anniv. He tells me that I will get the first once that he sees, because he knows I am serious. He also knows that I may buy elsewhere if the opportunity for timing presents itself.

I have seen the folks in the stores wasting the saleman's time too. It is really frustrating when I am there, waiting to be served, and everyone knows the other guy is going through the motions, just so he can feel some self pride. But who am I to judge.

My AD got me to fall in love with the Platinum President model, he knows I will not spend $50,100 on a watch but he wanted me to see it anyway. Well, maybe after I buy a plane and a car. He and I are becoming friends as a result, and that's always a good thing.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 01:25 PM   #11
Val

Thanks everyone for your kind words and pearls of wisdom. You guys and gals are great.
Old 3 October 2006, 02:09 PM   #12
TNRonin

Watch: 2000 SD
Val, we call them "bebacks". I have learned not to project too much of my personal expectations on the customer. If you treat them good they will come back and buy eventually. It sounds like you are super informative and somebody I would like to have wait on me. That said, I would not be a beback, I would on the front tell you what I was doing. Now here is what sets the good CS from the Great CS. Upon hearing that, you don't change a thing and treat the customer the same, regardless if they buy THIS time or not. If you treat them well, they will come back. How do I know?

I sell guns at gun shows. I enjoy my side job, I like to talk guns for the sake of talking them. You sound like you see the person, not the sale. Stay that way, the good karma will come back, trust me.
TNRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 02:28 PM   #13
Marie1
"TRF" Member

Hi, Val, I was interested to read your post, because I always wondered how a Rolex salesperson feels, and how she/he qualifies a customer, and whether the "bebacks" cause much disappointment!

I talked to three Rolex ADs, several times each, while deciding whether to buy or not. The dealer I did buy from was more product knowledgeable, and had already sold watches to family members, and showed me the very watch I liked.

I asked each of them to contact their Rolex rep to learn more about the metal content, and whether or not I, with a nickel allergy, could wear one. He was the only one of the three who actually did that, so he earned my business.
Marie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 03:43 PM   #14
Val

I try to treat everyone the same, I always try to do my very best. For me making the sale is really secondary, I have always been customer service oriented. I always make an effort to be as knowledgable and informative as possible. One of my favorite things to do with a customer is clean thier jewelery and or watch, I love the look on their face when they see the luster and brilliance restored to their jewelery. I tend to have a lot of fun at my job, meeting new people and making new friends, but unfortunately, I do have a sales quota to meet, so I have to try to find a balance. I guess what it comes down to is integrity.
Old 3 October 2006, 03:57 PM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val View Post
I try to treat everyone the same, I always try to do my very best. For me making the sale is really secondary, I have always been customer service oriented. I always make an effort to be as knowledgable and informative as possible. One of my favorite things to do with a customer is clean thier jewelery and or watch, I love the look on their face when they see the luster and brilliance restored to their jewelery. I tend to have a lot of fun at my job, meeting new people and making new friends, but unfortunately, I do have a sales quota to meet, so I have to try to find a balance. I guess what it comes down to is integrity.
Well done, Val. Remember the CARDINAL rule about sales:

Get the customer to like YOU first. If he likes you, the sale will go through and you can sell him just about any thing. If he doesn't like you, you will not even be able to sell him his favourite watch!!

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote