The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 October 2006, 10:23 PM   #1
naptown airking

Watch: SS AIR-KING
Trying to restore a ROLEX Oyster Viceroy.

Hello,
Just need everybodys opinion on this. I am looking at a old ROLEX 1944 Oyster Viceroy that needs heavy restoration. It is missing crown, case back and stem. Big question, is it worth the time and money?
I am just afraid a watchmaker will turn me away. Of course, the dial and hands need some work,the case back is missing and the movement is exposed. Oils may be dry and rusted.
If I do get, I probably take to an AD to restore it and not RSC. Reason being they may have limited parts or change dial and hands.
I really like the look of it. Should take the chance?

Thanks for listening,
Darrick
naptown airking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 10:55 PM   #2
mike
"TRF" Member

Hummm.....I don't know..the lack of a case back may be a problem.
I doubt RSC will be any help at all. An AD might not be much help either, that's really going back a way unless they can source a caseback.

Might give Jack a call at IWW, he has done some amazing things. Might be worth a shot.
http://www.angelfire.com/blues/andca...Firstpage.html
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 11:15 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well the Viceroy had the Rolex precision 17 jewel movement with a cushion type case 30mm 16mm lugs.The hardest part to find like Mike said is going to be a case back.Movements are pretty bullet proof,now if just a plain SS one when restored would have a value of around $1500-$1800 max.So get a quote on the restoration,plus the cost of the original watch.Now if the watch has any military markings or conections etc,then almost double the above price perhaps more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote