The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 October 2006, 09:57 PM   #1
naptown airking

Watch: SS AIR-KING
The repair overhaul cost on GMT's,SUB's and Sea Dweller's.

Hello and good morning everyone,
I will soon be in the market for a vintage 1675 GMT Master. I have been looking on EBAY at prices. Most of the ones I have seen need service.

The question is: What should be expected to pay for a complete repair overhaul for the GMT Master (Mid 70's vintage model)? Can someone break down average overhaul repair cost for The SUB's and Sea Dwellers as well? Are parts still avaliable?

My service overhaul for my AIR KING was 350.00 at my nearest AD. I know with the GMT it will be more. Just need a ball park figuare. This will help me decide on much to spend on the vintage piece.

Thanks,
Darrick
naptown airking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2006, 10:14 PM   #2
mike
"TRF" Member

In the neighborhood of $475-500 USD.
That will include a new crystal,gaskets,crown,tube,etc... Unless you need something over a normal service cost for any of the models you mentioned will be pretty much the same.

There's been a lot of talk of Rolex curtailling support for the 15xx movements, but to my knowledge they're still doing them dependent on the supply of parts.
If they replace the dial and/or hands be prepared to pay a couple hundred more. They won't do any work untill you give the go a head, but they can/will refuse to do any work if they feel a dial or hands change is necessary.
Once work begins expect a 3 to 4 week wait.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 12:40 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Agree with Mike here in the UK still plenty of 15xx parts available.And IMHO the 15xx series are still the finest Rolex ever made.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 06:40 AM   #4
ginzo

Watch: GMT/1675 Exp/1016
I have a 1977 GMT ref 1675 which I traded a 1986 GMT II for. IMHO its much better looking as a classic looking tool watch. I agree a good overhaul should be 400-500. Avoid one that needs a new dial and hands. Its a good investment, don't wait too long as the prices will continue to go up. Good luck.
ginzo is offline   Reply With Quote