The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 October 2006, 11:40 AM   #1
Rto
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ-AP-PP-Rolex
Icon3 Flying to San Francisco...

Hello All!
I'll be in San Francisco, CA this week for business and would like to spend some eventual free time to visit local ADs...Any advice on good ones??
Thanks in advance!
Rto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 11:53 AM   #2
OysterDavid
Banned

Rolex and the Golden Gate Bridge

Welcome to the Bay Area! Well, in The City, the obvious choice is Shreve's...great selection, slightly stuffy because of the history and very little likelihood of a discount. Then you've got the big T store that just opened a larger version at the new Market Street/Bloomingdales center. You've got to keep the sales help away with a fly swatter if you only want to browse. I would imagine in their new store, the selection is pretty good, but the store just opened last week. At the Gift Center there are a bunch of gray or pre owned dealers, the most obvious being A&E. You can find them in a Google search. Travel to the Stonestown Center on the southwest part of town and you'll find Ben Bridge. I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge of their selection or willingness to discount. With the new competition in downtown, it wouldn't hurt to ask if you're a serious buyer. Go down to San Mateo and you'll find at least one and maybe two AD's and there's an AD in Palo Alto at the big Bloomingdale's center. Travel East and you'll find an AD in Oakland and another in Walnut Creek. And north to Marin, there's an AD in Corte Madera and another in San Rafael. Those two of neighborhood type jewelry stores, but real AD's. Probably a more limited selection and perhaps a willingness to discount and most likely attentive, personal service.

So, if you're just window shopping, the two biggies in San Francisco downtown should keep you occupied. Both will also sell you a Rolex, but probably at list price.

Look for me....I'll be wearing my Rolex Date 14K on Jubilee.

Good luck.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 12:06 PM   #3
Rto
"TRF" Member

Hey Oyster,
Thanks for this COMPLETE "tour"!
I'll be in downtown for a trade show and so will have time just to check in the downtown area... unfortunately (Market street etc...)...so in this case where exactly should it be a must to go? Thanks in advance
Old 3 October 2006, 02:42 PM   #4
OysterDavid
Banned

Advice

Are you in the market? Do you want selection? Are you in need of advice and hand holding? Do you demand new?

Then it's Shreve's on Union Square.

Do you want selection? Can you make your own decisions? Is this just a casual shopping trip? If one 'smiles' at you, then you might consider buying it?

Then it's the brand new Tourneau store on Market Street and Fifth just in front of the brand new Bloomingdales.

Can you live with pre owned? Do you want to browse the Gray Market places?

Then find A&E at the gift center by way of a google search, and while you're in the same building, browse the pre owned and gray stores in this gift center. It's not 'officially' open to the public, but if A&E lets you in, then you're in. And they'll let you in.

In the same building as Shreve's are a bunch of pre owned shops, but you'll probably have to browse the directory to figure out where they are in the building. Try this hint...on the sixth or seventh floor is the 'official' Rolex repair place...maybe if you stop in there they'll give you some advice on which other shops in that same building are selling pre owned. You get to that service facility by entering at the door next to Shreve...there's a lobby with the elevators on Post Street.

Happy Hunting.
Old 3 October 2006, 04:19 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hey David,

You are absolutely amazing!! I've never known one guy to ask so many questions and then answer them with all the fluidity and panache with which you just did!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 11:27 PM   #6
OysterDavid
Banned

When I grow up...

Aw, shucks, JJ. I'm just trying to be accepted here. I dunno'....everyone thinks so highly of you...maybe someday someone will call me a Tosser, too. Then I'll know I've arrived and am truly an accepted member of TRF.

No, wait....I've got to buy myself an expensive digital camera and throw out my instamatic so I can share pix of me and my Rolex's. Then, with the moniker of Tosser AND the photos, people will like me.
Old 3 October 2006, 11:33 PM   #7
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post
Aw, shucks, JJ. I'm just trying to be accepted here. I dunno'....everyone thinks so highly of you...maybe someday someone will call me a Tosser, too. Then I'll know I've arrived and am truly an accepted member of TRF.

No, wait....I've got to buy myself an expensive digital camera and throw out my instamatic so I can share pix of me and my Rolex's. Then, with the moniker of Tosser AND the photos, people will like me.
Let me give you a piece of advice, David. You will NEVER make the Top 10 Tosser list if you keep saying nice things to that BKL. He's gonna think you like him.

And definitely get yourself a better camera so you can post pics of your collection. Then people will really like you and accept you as one of the gang.

Until then, you'll be an outcast and a pariah.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 04:27 AM   #8
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post

David, don't try to be accepted here. As you're nice and polite, which you have shown in your posts, we welcome you. You have shown this above with your help of AD locations. We welcome you here with open arms.

You have 10 posts so you're not a newbie anymore. You're fair game.

Get busy giving the BKL a hard time.
Old 4 October 2006, 01:30 PM   #9
Rto
"TRF" Member

David,
Thank you very much again! Never saw such a complete information of an area like that besides hints and advices.
I think a good idea to the mods at the forum would be create a "Rolex True Shopping guide by THE CITY".
This way, all members would be able to contribute giving reports of their experiences in their local cities and ADs in order to share with all members. That would be very usefull on a situation like that.
Old 4 October 2006, 04:22 PM   #10
ezwinner701

There's Jade Galore on stockton street that can you give a good discount.
ezwinner701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 07:03 PM   #11
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezwinner701 View Post
There's Jade Galore on stockton street that can you give a good discount.
Sounds like an Austin Powers girl