The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 October 2006, 03:31 AM   #1
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Rolex Movements

I have been thinking about the might workhorse movt of Rolex lately.....

I have a hunch that the 3135 movement will shortly be changed to the 3136 just like the 3185 got changed to the 3186 with the difference being that every last single itty bitty part is now made in house (I think before it was one of the springs that was not inhouse)

Now another thing that has been on my mind is Rolex guarentees parts for XX years for their watches. Now the 3135 have been around for almost 20 years and continues to be the number 1 movement in the Rolex line up (the most common movement in men's Rolexes). Now what I am thinking is that the 3135 (and also if it becomes the 3136) will have enough parts to out last our lifetimes and then some. I really dont think the 3135 movement will ever die, and like I said the only thing I can see happening is that it becames the 3136 which will have 99.5% of the same parts.

What do you guys think will become of the now legendary workhorse mvt?

Dont mind me, just wanted to post a serious topic for once
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 03:37 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good post, Roger...and a few good points you raised there. IMHO, the 3135 will NEVER die. I doubt Rolex will go ahead with any modifications or changes to this workhorse and most popular movement in their line-up.

It's time proven, reliable, tough and very, very accurate. So why change a good thing? I'd stake my life on the 3135 if I had to...in fact, I'd stake my life on any of the Rolex movements as they are all basically the same...with just different numbers depending on the complications in that model. The only different one is the Daytona 4130.

Give me a 3135 any damn day of the week!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 04:01 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Basically the design has not altered much since the 15xx series movement
and IMO they were the best Rolex have ever made.But like Roger has said
I can see the ball bearing rotor,and the new Parachrome hairspring, This is now (in house produced hairspring),and due to its non-Ferro materials, is completely nonsensitive to magnetic fields, and much less sensitive to temperature variations and shock, resulting in much better accuracy.And IMO will eventually follow into all Rolex Cals
Cal 1570.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 04:56 AM   #4
mike
"TRF" Member

I have to agree with padi, the 15xx movements are rock solid movements.
I'm not a watchmaker,but I read reports from those that know that states the 15xx movements were over engineered workhorses.
Indeed my most accurate watch sports a 15xx movement.

I do tend to think at some point the 3135 will be enhanced to include all inhouse parts--seems like a logical move on the part of Rolex.
As to the issue of parts, Rolex garrentees parts for their movements for 30 years after the discontinuence of the movement.
I think it's important to understand Rolex did not make the number of watches back then as they do now. Hence one would think the supply of spare parts would be much more extensive today than then.
I would be a bit suprised if a shortage of parts should ever be a concern for a very very long time.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 11:32 AM   #5
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
What about the 14060? The movements for it are the cal 3000. Will these be kept for a while?
Old 4 October 2006, 12:52 PM   #6
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
What about the 14060? The movements for it are the cal 3000. Will these be kept for a while?
The 3000 mvt has been discontinued in favour of the 3130, the key difference being the newer movement uses a balance bridge now I believe. But you dont have to worry as there are shared components still with the new and old movement and in any case there should be enough parts at Rolex for a while.
Old 4 October 2006, 03:35 PM   #7
amanda
Banned

Whats the movement called in the GMT 16710 I am getting then? Come edumacate me... I am bored!!!!
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 03:39 PM   #8
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
Whats the movement called in the GMT 16710 I am getting then? Come edumacate me... I am bored!!!!

3185. It takes on the tried tested and proved 3135 but adds a 24 hour hand. Now the 3185 is not a quickset, pulling out the crown 1 click makes the 12 hour hand jump 1 hour at a time as opposed to the 3135 mvt where this position makes the date jump. In order to set the date the 3185 is a bit more of a pain as you have to jump 24 hours to change the date one day. One good thing is that the date can be adjusted backwards and forwards with this movement, something that cannot be done with other movements since you can damge the movement by setting the date imporperly.
Old 4 October 2006, 03:44 PM   #9
amanda
Banned

WoW thanks Roger.... I was about to do search but you got in and answered my question first!! I find it hard to remember all the numbers and info, I have read about the movements many times and do find it very interesting.

I absolutely adore Omega's see thru back display cases - the 321 movement on the Speedy Pro is just magnificent! A true work of art.......
Old 4 October 2006, 07:34 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
WoW thanks Roger.... I was about to do search but you got in and answered my question first!! I find it hard to remember all the numbers and info, I have read about the movements many times and do find it very interesting.

I absolutely adore Omega's see thru back display cases - the 321 movement on the Speedy Pro is just magnificent! A true work of art.......
Well Amanda the Omega Cal 321 is in reality a slightly modified Lemania 27CHRO-C12 a very fine movement that dates back to the 60s and the one that was first on the moon IMO, no view back.Now the modern day manual wind view back with the Cal-1861 is based on a Lemania 1874.chrono.The current model number is 3570.50.00,the movement is an Omega Cal. 1861. The first Speedmaster approved by NASA actually had the Cal. 321 Lemania based movement. Later, Omega revised it with the Cal. 861, and today called the 1861. While the 861 is based on the 321 design, there are some fundamental differences.

Omega Cal 321= Lemania 27.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 07:46 PM   #11
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well Amanda the Omega Cal 321 is in reality a slightly modified Lemania 27CHRO-C12 a very fine movement that dates back to the 60s and the one that was first on the moon IMO, no view back.Now the modern day manual wind view back with the Cal-1861 is based on a Lemania 1874. chrono.The current model number is 3570.50.00,the movement is an Omega Cal. 1861. The first Speedmaster approved by NASA actually had the Cal. 321 Lemania based movement. Later, Omega revised it with the Cal. 861, and today called the 1861. While the 861 is based on the 321 design, there are some fundamental differences.

Omega Cal 321= Lemania 27.

Thanks Padi such a thing of beauty indeed! LOVE the detail!