The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 July 2017, 08:48 AM   #1
loulewis10
"TRF" Member

Getting my first Rolex

Hi all looking to take the plunge and as you'd expect been doing lots of homework as to which model to go for, (price permitting!).
I'm not looking for an investment or to make money although I'm keen to get one that will not depreciate to much, I've been advised it's best to go with a Submariner model as the aesthetics of these haven't changed for decade's, ( I've heard that models with many different variations tend not to be as desiarable ).
I also like the Explorer II's and the new Air King which certainly stands out from other models. Obviously money permitting I'd love to go 'up the range' but I'm looking at a budget up to about 5500 maybe 6.
Choices choices.....
loulewis10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 09:03 AM   #2
Rocco21
Banned

Watch: 126660,126600
You can get a used sub 16610 14060 or the new 114060 for 6k or less,the new air king for 5500-6k,also used exp ii for around 6k.I would go 114060.congrats on getting your first.
Rocco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 09:08 AM   #3
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
If you don't need a date, the sub 114060 is a great choice. The Exp II is also great value for your price range, with date and second time zone complications. Congrats and welcome!
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 09:10 AM   #4
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Here's the fun part actually...go to the local AD and try on pieces till you're decided. Don't think about value too much on modern pieces, just mitigate the depreciation by buying right.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 09:14 AM   #5
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
Take Sensui's advice and then start shopping.

Don't let price be your guide as their is a huge pre-owned watch market out there as well, let what appeals to you be the starting point.

If you do it that way you'll also end up buying fewer watches in the long run too.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 01:18 PM   #6
Iloreyix
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 Sub-C
Love the advice of trying on watches. You honestly won't know what will ring your bell till you try it on.
This forum is full of stories of a wrist experience changing the buyers mind!
Enjoy - it's super fun!!
Iloreyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 01:25 PM   #7
kauffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Don't buy a Sub because you've "been advised" to do so. Get a Sub because you love the Sub. And if you don't love the Sub? Don't buy it and instead buy one you do love.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 01:30 PM   #8
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Go to your AD and look at what is available. 'Your' watch will 'speak out' to you - you'll just know if. I thought I wanted the Milgauss, until I went the AD and a BLNR called out my name. Go to the AD and you'll know which one to get. After all, the purchase is for you and your enjoyment. There might be watches that are 'cooler' for others, but since you're buying it for your own enjoyment what matters most is what you like.

You will know. Buy for you.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 01:50 PM   #9
Glidelock
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDC4000, Sub LVC
Another fly has beeen caught in the web...Hehehe!
Glidelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 05:11 PM   #10
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 116713
As has already been advised, go to an AD and try on the watches you think you like. The one you truly want will sing to you.

I thought I wanted the Bluesy, however left with a TT GMT. I was convinced I wanted a polar dial Exp II, but tried it on my wrist and there was nothing. I had my name down for the Deep Blue, got the call we all long for from the AD saying it was in, so I rushed in like an excited kid, got it on the wrist and left without it (still a gorgeous dial though). I never once looked at the 2016 Air King, however I tried one on at my AD and it was love at first sight and I left with it. I have never liked the colour green, so never contemplated the Hulk, however I tried one on......you get my drift.

Whatever you do, please do not buy a watch because you have been "advised to".

Follow your heart and what you truly desire will come to you. The force is strong with you, young padawan!
Duke of Dulwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 05:20 PM   #11
SpyShops718
Banned

Watch: Rolex YM2 Gold '08
I got a 2001 submariner stainless for $3,800 in mint condition and added a oem green bezel for $140.00. I can put the black bezel back on anytime. Now I have a identical 16610LV anniversary Rolex.
SpyShops718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 07:11 PM   #12
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
If you don't need a date, the sub 114060 is a great choice. The Exp II is also great value for your price range, with date and second time zone complications. Congrats and welcome!
Absolutely spot on!!
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 09:40 PM   #13
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Go try them all on. Pick the one that works the best for you and wear it and enjoy it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 01:08 AM   #14
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Defo worth considering a pre-owned one that's just been serviced as you'll be getting a watch that is essentially new without the premium.....I got a 5 year old Datejust 116200 with box and papers for £4250 which was mint condition. It would've normally retailed at £4900
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 06:02 AM   #15
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Take you time. I rushed into my first two Rolex purchases and paid for the impulse. Also, pick the size watch that fits your arm. The thought today is that bigger is better. I have a 40mm and a 34mm. The 34mm Date looks better on my arm than does the 40mm Submariner. I have a slight build. 5'8", 160. Nothing looks worse than a small man with a big watch. Also think about when and where you will wear your Rolex. I wear my 34mm daily. I wear my Submariner only at business events.
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 07:36 AM   #16
elkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
There's a lot of good advice here, particularly the bit about trying on several different pieces first. I've found that sometimes the Rolex models that appeal to me the most aesthetically are not the most comfortable on my wrist. That's a frustrating and possibly expensive lesson to learn after the fact.
elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 07:40 AM   #17
ejvette
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
For your first piece definitely go to an AD and try em on even if you don't buy from them its a nice experience

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 07:42 AM   #18
corn18
Banned

Might want to try on a 5 digit sub as well. I like the more streamlined case of the 5 digit sub a lot more than the new chunky model.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 11:09 AM   #19
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The sub would most likely be your best bet if you're concerned about depreciation. The EXP2 is a fine watch, however, the secondary market is pretty soft, so you'll want to buy right if you go that route.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 02:12 PM   #20
Doood
"TRF" Member

Whatever you do, don't settle. Pick the watch that puts the biggest smile on your face. You can always make more money.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 01:34 AM   #21
dragu1a
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyShops718 View Post
I got a 2001 submariner stainless for $3,800 in mint condition and added a oem green bezel for $140.00. I can put the black bezel back on anytime. Now I have a identical 16610LV anniversary Rolex.
wow, that was a pretty killer deal. i just picked up a '97 stainless sub/date for $4700. box, papers, tags and even still had the anchor.

OP, as a recent purchaser as well - i can tell, if you've been looking and doing homework then you already know which one you want. i love the submariners. they're functional and very versatile. dress them up, or jeans and a t-shirt. it's a classic look that goes with just about anything.
dragu1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 05:09 AM   #22
loulewis10
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the advice, going to go to a few Rolex dealers in London and go with my heart! It's true you only get a real idea when it's on the wrist, as stated corre t size is an issue as well. Will be checking out the second hand posts on here as well.
loulewis10 is offline   Reply With Quote