The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 August 2017, 01:34 AM   #1
mfletch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
Need for Service?

Greetings all. Rookie Rolex owner here. I received my beautiful Subc/date on Saturday. I thought I would find a thread here covering this, but no such luck. When browsing at AD's, they always stress the need to send the watches to RSC at 5yr intervals for servicing.

I'm curious how many actually send their watch for a full service when it's being worn frequently, keeping good time and exhibiting no problems. And how many choose to delay service until they feel it is really needed?

Thanks
mfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 01:51 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

If it's keeping good time there is no need for service.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 02:01 AM   #3
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
This ^^^^

My current 216570 is keeping great time while I'm wearing it but it's not holding a 48 hour reserve if it's off my wrist for a day. I give it its 40 winds and it starts right up.

I'm considering, mind you only considering a service. Wear yours and enjoy it.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 04:14 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Good to hear that confidence.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 06:33 AM   #5
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Rolex lengthened the -most people service (sic)- to 10 years.
Uhtred59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 06:45 AM   #6
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
This topic has been often discussed on TRF and you will see comments for and against periodic service. In the end, it's your watch and your decision if you want to perform routine maintenance. I currently only have one Rolex, a new DJ41, and plan on sending it in somewhere in the 5-7 year range, most likely closer to 5. My watch....my decision.
Old 16 August 2017, 06:47 AM   #7
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
This. The less a watch is opened the better.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 06:59 AM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annan View Post
This topic has been often discussed on TRF and you will see comments for and against periodic service. In the end, it's your watch and your decision if you want to perform routine maintenance. I currently only have one Rolex, a new DJ41, and plan on sending it in somewhere in the 5-7 year range, most likely closer to 5. My watch....my decision.
You'll just be spending an extra $700 per 5 years for nothing. But hey, you don't hear me and my fellow watchmakers complaining. Business is business.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 07:43 AM   #9
Bippie
"TRF" Member

My Rolex is ready for a service after 10 years. I remember a few years ago reading about a gentleman in San Francisco who was particularly good at servicing Rolex timepieces. I can no longer find the references. Anyone know who he is? Thanks!
Bippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 10:27 AM   #10
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
If there's no apparent problem then I don't worry about it too much.
However, I will state that I personally don't get much more than about 5 years anyway before I notice the watch starting to act up a little before a rapid decline sets in where the watch virtually becomes unreliable and useless to me.

In summary, due to my wearing habits it's about 5 years between services anyway.
In the event any of my watches may go out to 6 years + then I would be vigilant as to the performance and service accordingly being aware that it is at the end of the day a mechanical device.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 12:56 PM   #11
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
Quote:
You'll just be spending an extra $700 per 5 years for nothing. But hey, you don't hear me and my fellow watchmakers complaining. Business is business.
Yep....you can say the pretty much the same for my doctor, dentist, car mechanic, etc........ Regardless, gives me piece of mind that all is well.
Old 17 August 2017, 06:48 AM   #12
ShoreGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
This. The less a watch is opened the better.
I've taken that to the extreme, to the consternation of many in this forum.

My watch a SS OP was purchased new over 30 years ago and has never been serviced. I gains a few minutes per week and I adjust it weekly setting it a minute or two behind. I'm retired with no buses, trains, or planes to catch so accuracy doesn't matter.
ShoreGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 08:20 AM   #13
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Just had my 14060M COSC non-date Sub checked over by Rolex trained watchmaker at Rolex boutique. Timing on the machine was excellent. One sec plus per 24 hrs. Pressure tested. Passed. He told me after running the tests it needed nothing. Have had it since 2007 or so, new. He said, "if it ain't broke , don't fix it". If you do wear it while swimming, diving, have it pressure checked every six months.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 11:21 AM   #14
jrvines
"TRF" Member

Watch service interval

My 2 cents-over 60 with an engineering background. Have a GMT that I bought new in early 70s and a 5513 Sub from early 60s. Most of us wouldn't buy a classic car and drive it until the effects of failing to change the oil were apparent. Lubricants lose their effectiveness over time and friction creates wear. It is a hassle to deal with a RSC-though my GMT has been exclusively serviced at one every 5 years. The Sub which I wasn't original owner has been serviced at independent shops about same interval. Good results from both. I consider them classics and don't intend to part with them so try to care for them accordingly. I am not an expert about watches but I do know a bit about metallurgy and lubricants. Not disagreeing with different viewpoints-just responding to a question.
jrvines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 03:50 PM   #15
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvines View Post
My 2 cents-over 60 with an engineering background. Have a GMT that I bought new in early 70s and a 5513 Sub from early 60s. Most of us wouldn't buy a classic car and drive it until the effects of failing to change the oil were apparent. Lubricants lose their effectiveness over time and friction creates wear. It is a hassle to deal with a RSC-though my GMT has been exclusively serviced at one every 5 years. The Sub which I wasn't original owner has been serviced at independent shops about same interval. Good results from both. I consider them classics and don't intend to part with them so try to care for them accordingly. I am not an expert about watches but I do know a bit about metallurgy and lubricants. Not disagreeing with different viewpoints-just responding to a question.
Quite right.

From my experience a watch will let you know when it needs a service.
Power reserve and or timekeeping are always the indicators unless something is obviously broken and needs repairing regardless.

I have seen watches that have sped up due to reduced amplitude caused by degraded lubes and that have been manually wound on a daily basis to keep them going, other wise they will just randomly stop at any time due to being way overdue for a service.
More often than not they actually required repairs when finally opened up.
In almost all cases they never really kept quite as good time like when they were new after repairs.

Issues regarding maintenance schedules centred around a cost/benefit analysis is another matter.

Treating a watch such as a Rolex like it's a consumable goes against my grain.
A well maintained watch will be a good time keeper for as long as one will live and that's the true value of owning a high quality watch that's superbly engineered.

I suppose there will be consumers that go out of their way to purchase an expensive item but for one reason or another not have the resources to properly maintain it.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 12:46 AM   #16
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Using that analogy of the oil changes in a car, engines will take an incredible amount of abuse and neglect before they fail and require expensive repairs. I'm sure a watch is similar in that regard.

Unfortunately, a Rolex service costs a heck of a lot more than a oil drain and replace at Jiffy Lube*. So the financials differ.

I think ten years is a good compromise though for a good service interval.

* - I'd never take a car to Jiffy Lube, that was just there for dramatic effect.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 01:24 AM   #17
ttsisk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Using that analogy of the oil changes in a car, engines will take an incredible amount of abuse and neglect before they fail and require expensive repairs. I'm sure a watch is similar in that regard.

Unfortunately, a Rolex service costs a heck of a lot more than a oil drain and replace at Jiffy Lube*. So the financials differ.

I think ten years is a good compromise though for a good service interval.

* - I'd never take a car to Jiffy Lube, that was just there for dramatic effect.
Agree with this. I would say 8 years though, unless you hit your 8 year mark and see that there's nothing wrong with it.
ttsisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 03:40 AM   #18
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I think that people dwell on the wrong things when it comes to a service.

Todays synthetic oils do not get thick, but they do lose their effectiveness over time, you just will never know it. Also, seals and gaskets do wear and age.

To neglect maintenance at a reasonable interval because nothing is apparent is folly, and will lead to parts physically grinding themselves apart and seals cracking or moving out of place; complete destruction of your valuable movement and dial will result.
Old 18 August 2017, 03:47 AM   #19
JohnFair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Interesting how often this same question comes up. My 2 cents.

1) The oils used to lubricate watch parts breaks down and as it breaks down it will cause wear on expensive parts. Worn out parts will need to be replaced when you get around to service.
2) Rubber gaskets seal the watch from dirt and more important moisture. Wait until these gaskets fail and it gets very expensive fast.
3) My understanding is Rolex did not recommend 10 year intervals they said most wait 10 years between service.

It would be interesting to see a graph of service intervals vs cost. Personally, I suspect that the longer the service interval the more service costs.

So service appears to be a very personally decision ranging from 5, 7, 10 years or wait until there is a problem.

My father still wears his 1966 Rolex without any problem getting it service every 5-7 years. I plan to do the same with my two watches.
Old 18 August 2017, 05:15 AM   #20
Lingan
"TRF" Member

Total new to the Rolex club here. (See my other post). But what is typically the cost of service? Crazy ballpark figure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Lingan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 05:48 AM   #21
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
My OCD kept my old GMT at a 5 year service rotation. My wife doesn't suffer the same and hers easily goes 10 plus. But now we have new versions i will probably go 10 and goodness knows what she will think proper.
Uhtred59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 10:58 AM   #22
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
A good rule of thumb, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". This from Rolex watchmaker at Rolex in Wynn's in Las Vegas
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 11:31 AM   #23
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Need for Service?

When your car recommends oil change at 10k do you push it to 15k or 20k before service? Do you drive it till the engine smokes cause "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude? Why is this even a subject of discussion - dropping $10k+ on a watch yet we want to debate a $600 service once every 7 years!

Surely you can extend the service intervals but keeping good time is not a measure of whether your watch requires a service or not. Parts can wear out while keeping good time before you start to realize a change. There are other factors such as beat rate, amplitude, power reserve and at a minimum water resistance rating from the rubber seals.

What would require normal cleaning and oiling every 7 years may later require replacement of parts.

Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 02:12 PM   #24
krh7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawli View Post
When your car recommends oil change at 10k do you push it to 15k or 20k before service? Do you drive it till the engine smokes cause "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude? Why is this even a subject of discussion - dropping $10k+ on a watch yet we want to debate a $600 service once every 7 years!

Surely you can extend the service intervals but keeping good time is not a measure of whether your watch requires a service or not. Parts can wear out while keeping good time before you start to realize a change. There are other factors such as beat rate, amplitude, power reserve and at a minimum water resistance rating from the rubber seals.

What would require normal cleaning and oiling every 7 years may later require replacement of parts.

well said. so true.
krh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 02:20 PM   #25
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bippie View Post
My Rolex is ready for a service after 10 years. I remember a few years ago reading about a gentleman in San Francisco who was particularly good at servicing Rolex timepieces. I can no longer find the references. Anyone know who he is? Thanks!
I think I know who you're talking about, he used to service my Omega. He's the only certified to do so outside of Omega in the Bay Area... Let me see if I can find his name, or at least verify if my brain is giving me the right information.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 03:32 PM   #26
sager
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I think that people dwell on the wrong things when it comes to a service.

Todays synthetic oils do not get thick, but they do lose their effectiveness over time, you just will never know it. Also, seals and gaskets do wear and age.

To neglect maintenance at a reasonable interval because nothing is apparent is folly, and will lead to parts physically grinding themselves apart and seals cracking or moving out of place; complete destruction of your valuable movement and dial will result.
Now this, sounds scary. Scary but true
sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 05:17 PM   #27
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhtred59 View Post
Rolex lengthened the -most people service (sic)- to 10 years.
This is not true Rolex themselves do not set any specific service period and they have never suggested a ten year period. This internet story came from a complete misreading of a Rolex statement.This is what it actually said that today the average Rolex owner have chosen around a ten year service interval before sending watches to be serviced.And its not that Rolex themselves recommended such a period.If you doubt what I state, try and find an official Rolex statement which mentions any specific time period because there is not one. My own preference depending on how the watch is used just use common sense around every 5- 8 years, sooner if accuracy dramatically changes.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote