The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 August 2017, 08:58 PM   #91
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav329 View Post
I have a exp2 polar and the bezel isn't polished only the tiny shoulder is. I'm not blingy I absolutely hate the thought of bling and I bought the watch. It's your opinion that matters not anyone else's. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I wrote about what was BLINGY about the Explorer, I was talking about the Explorer 214270. Polished bezel, etc - NOT the Explorer II.

I don't see the (current) Explorer II as blingy AT ALL. In fact, I see the (current) Explorer II as the LEAST blingy of all Rolexes.

I'd go as far to say the older version Explorer II (40mm) is more blingy than the new. Let the rocks fly at me for that one.

Thanks for your post.
ExpSubGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 09:00 PM   #92
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Fit is very important with this watch. I've been considering unloading mine but am realizing a bit of that desire may just have to do with it being too loose. My watch is crying out for a rubber strap or some serious bracelet adjustments.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 09:01 PM   #93
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob the brush View Post
My 1016 is fully serviced, and was pressure tested at the beginning of the summer, and is ready for what life throws, so I probably used the expression 'retired' wrongly, I just don't have it on my wrist every day now, I have a 116264 TOG, and 116900 AK for that. The 1016 was worn most days from 1981 to February this year when I bought the TOG, I just fancied a change, and then I got the AK, and hopefully next year I will add a OP and my collection will be complete.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk
Great trio of watches.

BEAUTIFUL 1016, on a jubilee - WOW.

I could see how you wore that daily from '81 - 2017.

I'm jealous. Dream watch right there. Continue to wear it in good health.

Glad it can go in the water. Please do that, treat it like an Explorer. Take it in the shower, just to say FU to everyone who would tell you not to.

Never forget it was built to be a TANK.
Old 14 August 2017, 09:02 PM   #94
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
Fit is very important with this watch. I've been considering unloading mine but am realizing a bit of that desire may just have to do with it being too loose. My watch is crying out for a rubber strap or some serious bracelet adjustments.
We talking about the North Flag here?
Old 14 August 2017, 09:07 PM   #95
gav329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpSubGMT View Post
When I wrote about what was BLINGY about the Explorer, I was talking about the Explorer 214270. Polished bezel, etc - NOT the Explorer II.

I don't see the (current) Explorer II as blingy AT ALL. In fact, I see the (current) Explorer II as the LEAST blingy of all Rolexes.

I'd go as far to say the older version Explorer II (40mm) is more blingy than the new. Let the rocks fly at me for that one.

Thanks for your post.

My apologies my misunderstanding. Well my partner wears the model prior to the 214270 ie the shorter hands 39mm as it happens and she absolutely loves it and she's not blingy either. It's a great watch I can't recommend it enough. The 214270 be superb too! All the best

gav329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 09:23 PM   #96
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav329 View Post
My apologies my misunderstanding. Well my partner wears the model prior to the 214270 ie the shorter hands 39mm as it happens and she absolutely loves it and she's not blingy either. It's a great watch I can't recommend it enough. The 214270 be superb too! All the best

No apology necessary. Glad we clarified.

I LOVE the 214270 MK1, more so than the MK2. I have my reasons, but it's a divisive issue around here, so I won't nitpick.

But yeah, I love my 214270. Would never get rid of it.
Old 14 August 2017, 09:50 PM   #97
gav329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No apology necessary. Glad we clarified.

I LOVE the 214270 MK1, more so than the MK2. I have my reasons, but it's a divisive issue around here, so I won't nitpick.

But yeah, I love my 214270. Would never get rid of it.

Get the north flag tooit's a great watch. Nice to chat to you enjoy!

gav329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 06:47 AM   #98
cammac1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok, so we've seen this before, but I wanted fresh opinions.

Is the 214270 too blingy/dressy to be a true tool watch? For somebody who never wears suits for work and is in jeans and T shirts 99% of the time, is the North Flag a better bet?

I understand the argument of money being no object, get the Rolex Explorer and be done with it.

BUT...

As a tool watch for every day use that can take a beating... Is the North Flag a better buy for someone who never needs the "dress-up" factor of the 214270?

For casual wear, which would YOU prefer as modern day explorer tool watch?

Thanks
Not at all. go for it
cammac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 11:26 AM   #99
Stx
"TRF" Member

I liked the North flag until I tried it on, and I like to use rubber straps which isn't easy with the NF. I like the Tudor heritage 41 but ended up with the 214270. I don't hear much about Sinn here but they have a following. My needs are frequent ocean swims, sports, no dive bezel, low show, and comfortable.
Stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 11:58 AM   #100
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soho View Post
North Flag fan here. Recently sold mine, but probably will get into another one in the future.

Strikingly sedate. Don't get it.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2017, 12:22 PM   #101
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I've been considering a 'beater' for going out on survey. And it will take a beating as I climb and crawl around ships, in and out of holds, tanks, compartments and machinery spaces. I use a G-Shock Mudmaster at the moment because it's as tough as old boots. However, if I was going to replace it with a high end watch, I wouldn't choose either of the OP's options. I like the Explorer but it doesn't look rugged enough. That said, neither does the North Flag.

Whilst both of my Subs and D-Blue could handle anything I could chuck at them, I just couldn't bring myself to,wear them in an environment where they WILL get a beating. I'd pick up a used EXP II for the job. IMHO, that's the ultimate tool watch. The second time zone hand would also be especially useful because on 90% of my surveys, the client is in another time zone

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 05:59 AM   #102
Benj86
"TRF" Member

Really like the north flag, planning to get it in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Benj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 10:23 PM   #103
Benj86
"TRF" Member

Looking for a used model if there are any !

Benj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 12:01 AM   #104
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Explorer...blingy, I find it perhaps the most subtle rolex available today. I find the Tudor with the yellow and more modern appearance to be far more noticeable on the wrist.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 02:40 AM   #105
NimbleNavigator
"TRF" Member

I wear the Tudor North Flag every day as my beater. It's such great watch that's easily readable from a distance. I really love the power reserve complication as well. I think that the black and yellow color scheme is beautiful. Tudor is really killing it with their new releases. I love how they take risks and try new things. Rolex just keeps churning out minor changes every few years. Maybe once a decade release a new watch. Tudor is really pushing the boundaries and making a name for themselves.

I also love how simple the dial is. Tudor made it a very nice two-line dial that's extremely easy to read. The power reserve complication balances out the date window as well. Very thoughtfully designed.
NimbleNavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 03:03 AM   #106
NimbleNavigator
"TRF" Member

NimbleNavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2018, 09:35 AM   #107
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj86 View Post
Really like the north flag, planning to get it in a couple of weeks.

DavidSW had one with the leather strap last time I looked.

I got my north flag a month ago and love it! Waiting for the leather band to come in and I’ll try that. Though so far I really like the bracelet. It’s an amazing watch that, as many have commented, is more readable than my BLNR or YMs.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2018, 12:54 AM   #108
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The polished bezel, The White Gold 3 6 9 (MK 1 version), the reflection of light off of the sapphire crystal...

I don't think Explorers are as blingy as say, ceramic GMT's, but an Explorer has more "shine" than the North Flag.

I agree with this. Most Rolexes, including the Explorer, have a sheen that sets them apart. I wasn’t aware of this subtle sparkle but when I got my north flag, which I love, it really stood out and much more matte and low key in general than my BLNR or YM.

When I compared the north flag to the Explorer I, I noticed the same exceptional finish and polish that this poster describes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13 August 2018, 01:19 AM   #109
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Explorer Vs North Flag - Todays Tool Watch?

I love all the watches being discussed here! But with my BLNR and YMs, I wanted the exp I vibe at a lower cost. Nothing compares with the fit and finish of a Rolex, but this north flag comes close! And it’s half the price.

I love mine!

Now, for pictures....

The last one was taken by a photographer at the recent Tudor event at Shreve & Co. in San Francisco.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13 August 2018, 02:10 AM   #110
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I like them all. The North Flag is definitely a great looking and tough tool watch that I might have to own but my Ranger has been keeping me very happy since the day I bought it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 04:24 PM   #111
HowManyWatches?
"TRF" Member

I have the Tudor North Flag on both the leather strap and the metal bracelet. If you're deciding to buy the North Flag, I suggest buying the metal bracelet version and buying another set of leather strap and clasp.

The leather is so comfortable for office use and well made. Fairly resistant to water also.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
HowManyWatches? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 11:13 PM   #112
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowManyWatches? View Post
I have the Tudor North Flag on both the leather strap and the metal bracelet. If you're deciding to buy the North Flag, I suggest buying the metal bracelet version and buying another set of leather strap and clasp.

The leather is so comfortable for office use and well made. Fairly resistant to water also.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing this about leather. I tend to agree and it makes me anxious to try the leather when it finally gets delivered to my AD.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 01:23 AM   #113
oysterflexer
Banned

Watch: SOON.
Tudor Northflag LOL
Get the ROOOOLEX!
oysterflexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 10:49 AM   #114
bosshog104
Banned

Watch: Pam 111
As a tool watch for every day use that can take a beating... Is the North Flag a better buy for someone who never needs the "dress-up" factor of the 214270?

My opinion... yes.

What did you end up getting?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
bosshog104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 11:04 AM   #115
ExplorerTime
Banned

Watch: 116200/14270
"What did you end up getting?"

- If you notice under OP's name it says "banned"

so, OP ended up getting banned.

Probably offended a mod
ExplorerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 11:46 AM   #116
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Concerned with a post in an earlier thread that said Tudor movement is swapped during service with a reconditioned movement. I prefer to keep mine original to the watch I bought. So Explorer for me.

“They have one HUGE draw-back in my opinion. That is the fact that they cannot be serviced. They are exchange only. When you send the watch in, even for a warranty repair the whole movement is replaced with a refurbished model and then COSC records are updated to match.”
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 01:19 PM   #117
bosshog104
Banned

Watch: Pam 111
Wow that's crazy, I've never heard that. It is a great movement though, a real pleasure to wind, and watch that power reserve fill.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
bosshog104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2019, 01:40 PM   #118
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Explorer Vs North Flag - Todays Tool Watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxi View Post

“They have one HUGE draw-back in my opinion. That is the fact that they cannot be serviced. They are exchange only. When you send the watch in, even for a warranty repair the whole movement is replaced with a refurbished model and then COSC records are updated to match.”

Hmm... 4 to 8 weeks to replace original parts in my watch’s movement with service parts for $950 base service price. VS 2 to 4 weeks to replace the entire movement with a service movement for $450. I’ll pick Option B

AOW
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote