The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 March 2015, 06:00 AM   #91
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
I am not sure if I am more impressed with the watch not being serviced for 28.5 years or the fact that you have had the same flip phone since 2005!

Oh this gave me a good laugh hahahahHa!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 06:04 AM   #92
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
I am not sure if I am more impressed with the watch not being serviced for 28.5 years or the fact that you have had the same flip phone since 2005!
Lol. I think I'm more impressed that he found TRF online and posted this thread.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 06:23 AM   #93
Shore Guy
"TRF" Member

Can anyone give me detailed, step by step instructions, on how to upload images of my watch taken by neighbor and sent in an email to me on my iPad? I do not have a computer, just the original iPad, ios 3 or 4. Tapatalk requires ios 7.

I prefer doing it myself as opposed to emailing the photos to a TRF member. Another possibility is when I visit a close friend this fall who has an iPad Air 2, perhaps I could do it there after emailing him the photos assuming the Tapatalk instructions are intelligible to someone who does not already know how to do the upload.

Please don't tell me this is simple. Anything is when you know how to do it.

Last edited by Shore Guy; 21 March 2015 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: Unable to upload email images taken of watch by neighbor.
Shore Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 06:42 AM   #94
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
The picture is not displayed.

If your picture is on the desktop/laptop, follow steps as attached in word doc.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TRF - Post pics.zip (139.5 KB, 43 views)
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 06:54 AM   #95
RollieVerde
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
I wouldn't "tinker" with it... I would give it a professional -much needed- overhaul!
Speaking of which, what the oldest non-serviced movement you've encountered? Any particular parts that typically seem to wear out first, while others somehow survive for really long intervals?
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 08:15 AM   #96
One Ping Only
"TRF" Member

Watch: several
Icon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shore Guy View Post
Can anyone give me detailed, step by step instructions, on how to upload images of my watch taken by neighbor and sent in an email to me on my iPad? I do not have a computer, just the original iPad, ios 3 or 4. Tapatalk requires ios 7.

Please don't tell me this is simple. Anything is when you know how to do it.

Save the pictures to your camera roll, photos app, whatever it is called.

Next, hit reply to post.

Type a few words.

Touch the paper clip icon above the text window.

A new window opens, tap upload image.

Select the pic from the appropriate spot.

Touch upload.

Touch close this window way down at the bottom.

Old 21 March 2015, 08:39 AM   #97
Shore Guy
"TRF" Member

Another Uploading Attempt

Trying again. It returned invalid URL.
Old 21 March 2015, 02:49 PM   #98
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollieVerde View Post
Speaking of which, what the oldest non-serviced movement you've encountered? Any particular parts that typically seem to wear out first, while others somehow survive for really long intervals?
I don't know what the oldest/longest non-serviced movement was, but I do know that anything past 15 to 20 years require a new great wheel, third wheel, second wheel, setting wheel(s), barrel, balance staff, reversing wheels, rotor axle, and mainspring, just to list the most common problems. Often the main plate will need to be replaced too, as the plate studs will wear out too much.
Rolex movements are work horses and they'll run forever... that's doesn't mean that nothing is getting damaged while it keeps running. The dried out oil will keep the pivots in place, while it's cutting down the metal like sand paper, same thing with the wheels that sit on the plate studs.
As soon as the movement gets cleaned and all the dried oil is gone, the pivots will be so worn out that the wheels cannot be reused. The barrel has the same problem, where the grease will have cut the inner wall, where the mainspring slips and makes it no longer useful to have a satisfactory power reserve.
At this point, the gaskets are completely deteriorated and the crystal will have hardened to the point where it most likely has cracks under the bezel assembly already. Don't get it near water!
You are really abusing your watch if you don't get it serviced regularly.

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 02:51 PM   #99
BoomerSooner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
My Explorer was not serviced for over 30 years so yeah, I believe it.
BoomerSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 10:11 PM   #100
DubaiWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't know what the oldest/longest non-serviced movement was, but I do know that anything past 15 to 20 years require a new great wheel, third wheel, second wheel, setting wheel(s), barrel, balance staff, reversing wheels, rotor axle, and mainspring, just to list the most common problems. Often the main plate will need to be replaced too, as the plate studs will wear out too much.
Rolex movements are work horses and they'll run forever... that's doesn't mean that nothing is getting damaged while it keeps running. The dried out oil will keep the pivots in place, while it's cutting down the metal like sand paper, same thing with the wheels that sit on the plate studs.
As soon as the movement gets cleaned and all the dried oil is gone, the pivots will be so worn out that the wheels cannot be reused. The barrel has the same problem, where the grease will have cut the inner wall, where the mainspring slips and makes it no longer useful to have a satisfactory power reserve.
At this point, the gaskets are completely deteriorated and the crystal will have hardened to the point where it most likely has cracks under the bezel assembly already. Don't get it near water!
If I serviced mine every 7 years would I still need all that replacing in 30 years time?
DubaiWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 11:58 PM   #101
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiWatchGuy View Post
If I serviced mine every 7 years would I still need all that replacing in 30 years time?
No! If you maintain the oils, nothing will get damaged!

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 12:27 AM   #102
RollieVerde
Banned

Quote:
Sounds like any well-designed mechanical device that has been meticulously engineered in that if you can limit the area where wear will occur through regular cleaning/lubrication, there's no reason it can't last for a very long time. That's one of the reasons I have a lot of faith in Rolex movements, because they seem to steadily refine a movement over time to increase longevity. Now it looks like they've done even enough lubricant research that they're they're making their own oils. Thanks for the info!
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 12:48 AM   #103
Shore Guy
"TRF" Member

My neighbor who took pictures

She has agreed to attempt upload from her computer. I have a question. What is the difference between the following two icons:

1) vertical paper clip

2) globe with horizontal paper clip

Which should be used?
Old 22 March 2015, 12:58 AM   #104
ksh977
"TRF" Member

Here's what happened to this guy who didn't change his engine oil for 84,000 miles. (Pic lifted from this link.)

http://jalopnik.com/what-happens-if-...-fo-1692660828

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426949864.717322.jpg
ksh977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 01:23 AM   #105
One Ping Only
"TRF" Member

Watch: several
Quote:
She has agreed to attempt upload from her computer. I have a question. What is the difference between the following two icons:

1) vertical paper clip

2) globe with horizontal paper clip

Which should be used?
Vertical paper clip attaches a file or photo. If you got "invalid URL" you used the globe for a link, and you would not get the dialogue I outlined.
Old 22 March 2015, 02:00 AM   #106
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Shore Guy- I hope you read every word of this and learn from a CW21 watchmaker the possible damage and wear that has been done to your watch.
Eventually your wallet WILL have to pay some $$$ if you want this watch to remain running. Without a service, when it finally dies it is DEAD.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 06:44 AM   #107
Shore Guy
"TRF" Member

I did try upload with vertical paper clip,

As I was instructed. Did not work first time but to be sure, tried it again with same result.

I mentioned the globe with horizontal clip since other instructions in this continuing saga mentioned it.
Old 22 March 2015, 06:48 AM   #108
Shore Guy
"TRF" Member

[IMG]cid:D2169005-1C01-46F1-9B99-6A7280E46F5C/DSC00985.JPG[/IMG]

Will wait till I attempt upload with my neighbors computer which took photos.

Last edited by Shore Guy; 22 March 2015 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: Another Failed Attempt
Old 22 March 2015, 07:30 AM   #109
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
This thread is epic.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 07:30 AM   #110
Shore Guy
"TRF" Member

2 Pictures of Watch

attempt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00978.jpg (117.0 KB, 1075 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00985.jpg (79.6 KB, 1069 views)
Old 22 March 2015, 07:40 AM   #111
Shore Guy
"TRF" Member

Pictures Finally

My neighbor who previously took photos of my watch dropped on over with her laptop and after she had me log on, she uploaded pictures.

Better late than never.
Old 22 March 2015, 08:01 AM   #112
DubaiWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Wow it looks in better condition then I thought!! Thanks for taking the time to upload these !
DubaiWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 08:05 AM   #113
Shore Guy
"TRF" Member

The Quandary

After reading what Vanessa wrote, it seems that if a watchmaker has to replace all that, there are so many opportunities for a screw-up that I might be better off just letting things ride and continue to enjoy the watch as is, for as long as it lasts. Then I will buy a new one which probably makes more sense than attempting to have it repaired in its current state with no guarantee that it would then last more than a few years. Also, with a watch so beaten up, how would I know that the watchmaker hasn't replaced the whole mechanism with a junker which he or she has laying around?

As far as the picture, please note I am OCD about the proper sync between the minute and second hands.

On this thread, most respondents recommended maintenance and a few recommended letting things ride. After seeing Vanessa's post, perhaps the ratio would change.
Old 22 March 2015, 08:05 AM   #114
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Looks great for never been serviced, however I would get it serviced as soon as possible as you never know how the movement is until you open it up and I can almost surely guarantee your running on no oil at all after all these years.
TRF member #917
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 08:17 AM   #115
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
After reading what Vanessa wrote, it seems that if a watchmaker has to replace all that, there are so many opportunities for a screw-up that I might be better off just letting things ride and continue to enjoy the watch as is, for as long as it lasts. Then I will buy a new one which probably makes more sense than attempting to have it repaired in its current state with no guarantee that it would then last more than a few years. Also, with a watch so beaten up, how would I know that the watchmaker hasn't replaced the whole mechanism with a junker which he or she has laying around?

As far as the picture, please note I am OCD about the proper sync between the minute and second hands.

On this thread, most respondents recommended maintenance and a few recommended letting things ride. After seeing Vanessa's post, perhaps the ratio would change.
You obviously have no confidence or trust in leaving your watch in the care of a watchmaker. Believe me, Vanessa and Rikki who are both CW21 watchmakers and members of this forum are trustworthy people with integrity. The advantage of having an independent watchmaker service your watch is that you can discuss everything with them and build a relationship. They can let you know up front what parts you need and what the approximate cost will be. Your watch will be in good hands either way. And the best part is when you watch comes back to you after a full service, it will look and perform like it did the day you bought it new. BTW, the requirements for a CW21 certification are very stringent. There would be no "screw up" with your watch.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 08:20 AM   #116
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Get it serviced by Vanessa, you won't regret it.

Great looking watch.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 09:11 AM   #117
Daytona4130
"TRF" Member

Watch: HBO:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
This thread is epic.
Daytona4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 09:54 AM   #118
R Douglas
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
It's been a great ride, now go get yourself one of the new 39mm OP and drive that one into the future.
R Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 10:54 AM   #119
wdin
"TRF" Member

Sorry I came in late.

But it does not really look as bad as I had imagined it to be.

Thanks for sharing!
wdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 11:59 AM   #120
Jakx
"TRF" Member

my DJ purchased in 1983 (new) was serviced for the first time 9 years ago. Run +2 now so still no need for service. As others have said, worth the service and you would be set for a while.
Jakx is offline   Reply With Quote