The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 December 2016, 10:04 AM   #31
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCFM View Post
I have to agree with you as that is exactly what I did 9 years ago. I was on holiday in Cancun and stopped by an AD because I was interested in a Tag. No particular model, just a Tag because I wanted a bit of a statement watch.

After showing me a few Tag's, the assistant then directed me to the Rolex section. A Rolex wasn't even on my radar beforehand and I knew absolutely nothing about them apart from the fact that they were (in my mind), the ultimate watch brand.

After some number crunching and having considered the future sacrifices I'd have to make (not eating, drinking or having any sort of fun for a while), I walked out of the shop with a brand spanking new TT Sub on my wrist which looked and felt fantastic.

I was over the moon with my purchase and still think it was the best impulse buy I've ever made. I didn't even consider the model, I was only interested in the brand because I was wearing a ROLEX!!!
My story is kind of similar but different, I was actually trying to avoid a Rolex before I joined this forum as I thought they were a bit too common, and was trying on various Omegas, Breitlings and others but couldn't quite pull the trigger on any. Then I thought just try on a new Rolex and the Subc really blew me away and I bought it. More importantly, then I joined this great forum in earnest.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 10:39 AM   #32
707soldier
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX USA
The Submariner is the reason I bought a Rolex years ago.
Old 22 December 2016, 11:01 AM   #33
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

It's true. People do say and think that.

If that bothers you then it's really your loss.. Literally.. You will be losing money by buying and selling every brand you come across that's not a Rolex...until one day you cave and buy a Rolex.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
phillycheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 11:29 AM   #34
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmutte View Post
Interesting. Not to hijack the thread, but what is better for home audio than Bose in the same relative price range. Asking bc I'm genuinely interested.
Not sure if I'm good enough to notice a difference in sound quality anyway
Bring some music you enjoy to a good stereo/home theater store and listen for yourself is always best. Some can, others can't, hear much of a difference.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 11:38 AM   #35
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Idk the submariner does seem to be the Rolex fanboy watch. Everyone who comes into the shop I work at always asks for a sub. Growing up I always wanted a Rolex. The DJ always seemed to be old manish, the Sub seemed to be the go to watch so I didn't really like that. I really liked snowflakes and they were cheap lol. I could've got one for probably 500- $1000 more than my precision at the time but "it was just a tudor" in my mind rofl. Stupid me, but I can honestly say I've never seen another precision with the same dial as mine and I will never sell it so value doesnt matter so much. People always told me I didn't know watches because I bought a rolex. But when I asked whats better, hardly ever got a response. My watches have all gone up in value after or I bought well enough at the time of purchase to make a few bucks. Can't say that about much else I own
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 12:04 PM   #36
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCFM View Post
I have to agree with you as that is exactly what I did 9 years ago. I was on holiday in Cancun and stopped by an AD because I was interested in a Tag. No particular model, just a Tag because I wanted a bit of a statement watch.

After showing me a few Tag's, the assistant then directed me to the Rolex section. A Rolex wasn't even on my radar beforehand and I knew absolutely nothing about them apart from the fact that they were (in my mind), the ultimate watch brand.

After some number crunching and having considered the future sacrifices I'd have to make (not eating, drinking or having any sort of fun for a while), I walked out of the shop with a brand spanking new TT Sub on my wrist which looked and felt fantastic.

I was over the moon with my purchase and still think it was the best impulse buy I've ever made. I didn't even consider the model, I was only interested in the brand because I was wearing a ROLEX!!!
Great story.

I think most people have no idea what any watch is. There are so many watches that look like a submariner now from 5 to 10 feet away that it would be impossible for anybody to tell or care. Let's face it guys only we care.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 12:36 PM   #37
maton12
"TRF" Member

All that advertising at tennis, golf, sailing and Formula 1 actually works
maton12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 05:14 PM   #38
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
People who don't know watches by Rolex because people who don't know watches think it is the best brand there is. Plain and simple.
A big factor indeed.
I have seen this very phenomenon a number of times.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 05:18 PM   #39
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I don't know much about watches.

So I just buy watches that I like.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 05:24 PM   #40
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Who cares, enjoy!
An interesting conversation and enjoyment can go hand and hand just fine btw.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 05:54 PM   #41
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Here we go again...
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 06:35 PM   #42
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk25 View Post
The price of entry is right there on the sticker. No degree in horology necessary. And rolex sells a ton. So yeah most will simply wear it and never set foot in a watch forum.

Remember those standardized tests?
Rolex is to nice watch as BMW is to...nice car. And both probably share similar sufferings.

For every thousand 3 series owners, there's always the one who tracks the car, knows what an e46 is, and genuinely despises Chris Bangle.
I miss Chris Bangle
Everyone over 40+ years of age despises him, but for us younger folks we saw him as the man who created the space ship 745. The car was completely out of this world and has influenced EVERY car maker. There were no cars with Nav screens above the dash with a control knob until him. Now every car has a bit of 745 DNA. It was the first, and only time that the 7 Series overtook the S Class.

On top of that, guess what was the highest selling 7 series of all time.....

You old folks ruined a revolution and now we have safe boring designs that nobody buys. Where are the old farts now with there checkbooks?

........sorry guys I had to vent. Yes I tracked my M4 too and yes I'm very fond of the e46 M3 with comp package.

Back to watches .... People who don't know watches buy a Rolex Because want to buy a watch and not make a wrong purchase. Solid, dependable, and there is no wrong model to buy (except a black dial Milgauss).
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 08:00 PM   #43
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
I miss Chris Bangle
Everyone over 40+ years of age despises him, but for us younger folks we saw him as the man who created the space ship 745. The car was completely out of this world and has influenced EVERY car maker. There were no cars with Nav screens above the dash with a control knob until him. Now every car has a bit of 745 DNA. It was the first, and only time that the 7 Series overtook the S Class.

You old folks ruined a revolution and now we have safe boring designs that nobody buys. Where are the old farts now with there checkbooks?

........sorry guys I had to vent. Yes I tracked my M4 too and yes I'm very fond of the e46 M3 with comp package.

Back to watches .... People who don't know watches buy a Rolex Because want to buy a watch and not make a wrong purchase. Solid, dependable, and there is no wrong model to buy (except a black dial Milgauss).
well are we not being quite particular
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 08:19 PM   #44
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I miss Chris Bangle

Sorry?

Who is Chris Bungle?

Old 22 December 2016, 08:21 PM   #45
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I miss Chris Bangle

Welcome to a wet and wintery HELL.

I liked ths one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (264.6 KB, 365 views)

Old 22 December 2016, 11:11 PM   #46
Omnibus
"TRF" Member

Watch: rlx
people have desire to 'finer things' in life in some areas of interest or at some point in time in life

rolex being one of the most renowned brands (if not the most) may appear as a top of mind during such event ..... simply put: rolex or nothing
Omnibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 11:40 PM   #47
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I don't know much about watches.

So I just buy watches that I like.
Same here; and I just happen to like Rolex!
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 11:49 PM   #48
JKolmo
"TRF" Member

- "That's a nice SubC!"

- "Uuhh, no. It's a Rolex"
JKolmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 01:35 AM   #49
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I think there is some truth to it.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 01:45 AM   #50
zakattack62
"TRF" Member

Patek's hold their value better than a Rolex.
Not as common and people who wear them fly under the radar and don't care what others think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycheez View Post
It's true. People do say and think that.

If that bothers you then it's really your loss.. Literally.. You will be losing money by buying and selling every brand you come across that's not a Rolex...until one day you cave and buy a Rolex.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
zakattack62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 02:18 AM   #51
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
I miss Chris Bangle

I was going to say the same thing about bangle. I also like the e60 5er and the z4. Now we are back to the sausages of different lengths era with not only BMW but Audi and the worst offender MB. I hate when all three cars look identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Sorry?

Who is Chris Bungle?
Polarizing car designer that headed up BMWs design team from 90s into the late 2000s. Known for abandoning signature bmw styling cues.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 02:21 AM   #52
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakattack62 View Post
Patek's hold their value better than a Rolex.
Not as common and people who wear them fly under the radar and don't care what others think.
I disagree. Patek has a couple watches that do really well. On the whole Rolex hold their value better than PP even if only due to price of entry and market size.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 02:22 AM   #53
guy369
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
It's probably true, but those are people who don't buy for passion like most here.

I was introduced to someone by a friend who knows I love watches.
When I met him he looked at my wrist and said "A Sub? what do you know about watches?!"
After discussing the topic for a small amount of time he realized I knew my watches then asked "Why did you get a Rolex then if you know watches?"
My response: Because I know watches.

He laughed, we joked around, but in his mind a Rolex owner was someone who just wanted a nice watch without having to research it.
guy369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 02:40 AM   #54
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
The women's date just is the single largest selling Rolex. The Air King for men. Granted statistics from several years ago. Remember these are world wide, NOT USA.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 03:14 AM   #55
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKolmo View Post
- "That's a nice SubC!"

- "Uuhh, no. It's a Rolex"
Lesson learned: Don't speak in shorthand.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 03:37 AM   #56
hbk25
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z Blue
Quote:
I miss Chris Bangle

Didn't mean to offend anyone, I was just racking my brain for obscure bimmer knowledge. Kind of like how ppl on here randomly know about Geneva stripes.

As for your (kinda crappy) statement on "old folks/farts" I think it's safe to say YES ppl vote with their wallets and the funny thing about opinions, they sometimes change with age.

Like this dude:
http://jalopnik.com/we-were-all-wron...het-1664079107

I actually don't even like bmw's (& I'm 36).
hbk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 03:57 AM   #57
MVP
"TRF" Member

Some people who don't know a lot about watches buy a submariner as their first, but it doesn't mean that it's not a good watch to buy. It's probably also in part due to the fact that it's an attractive price point for someone wanting to be recognized wearing a nice watch.
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 04:14 AM   #58
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
When, many years ago, I bought Bose speakers my audiophile friend said, "No highs, no lows: Bose." I got a laugh out of it. I don't take these things personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
100% agree. Same thing could be said for many people who buy Bose.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 04:22 AM   #59
dcvelo
Banned

For most young professionals, the sub is the go to watch. All of us started somewhere, I know for myself, it was Seiko, then Tag, and then it was a Rolex GMT. Most young people, especially in the US, that get a decent job right out of college, reward themselves with buying a watch. Rolex has done an incredible job with marketing, and that seems to be the best option, because their peers have done the same thing. The DJ might be the better selling watch out of the whole line, but you can't beat the popularity of the subs, especially in the younger men/women category.
Cheers!!
dcvelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 04:33 AM   #60
mapalfa
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
I guess there must be some truth to this.

If someone has money to spend, but little knowledge or interest in the subject of watches, then a Rolex is seen as the best by many people. Given the Rolex market-share, logically therefore, there must be more people who buy Rolex and don't know about watches than people who don't know about watches and buy equivalent or better makes. After all, as said above, most Rolex owners are the type who don't spend hours trawling through watch forums.

In support of this I'd point to the number of "should I wear my Rolex to X/Y/Z event" where people suggest wearing a PP/AP etc as they fly under the radar. Surely this must mean that Rolex is well above the radar.

But, in defence of those poor, misguided, uneducated fools, I know bugger all about tailoring but just bought a Zegna suit. Is it good? I don't know yet as I bought it online, but they have a good reputation among the general public and I doubt many companies can stay in business selling £1000+ products if they turn out to be a pile of turds. On that basis, but also allowing for the fact I can return it for a full refund as long as I've not had the trousers hemmed, I thought it was worth a shot for a suit that I think looks great in pictures at least.

Perhaps I'll turn out to be the suit equivalent of the person who buys a Rolex without knowing anything about watches, or perhaps I'll be the one who buys a Big Bang only to discover it's worth less than an OP when they go to sell it!
mapalfa is offline   Reply With Quote