The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 December 2016, 05:14 AM   #91
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
Patek is going downhill - both in terms of value and design.
Let's just keep that your little secret since you are the only one privy to it.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2016, 05:24 AM   #92
VinnieVegas
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 GMT Master II
No, I'm inclined to think they buy a TAG Heuer. Maybe a Formula 1.

* Seiko SRP777 (2017)
VinnieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2016, 05:35 AM   #93
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Read my post again. Not slamming Patek in any way whatsoever.

Someday you'll get your first Patek ken. Then you can talk

Merry x mas
Old 25 December 2016, 05:41 AM   #94
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiicustomz View Post
Hey who you calling a nerd?!?!? I resemble that remark! Lol

To know the future is to be trapped by it
Oh, I meant nerd lovingly, and I certainly count myself as a forum nerd!
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2016, 05:41 AM   #95
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Someday you'll get your first Patek ken. Then you can talk

Merry x mas

Merry Christmas Tom!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2016, 05:44 AM   #96
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejoe View Post
Yes, like BMW for cars or Brooks Brothers for suits, they are the brand name you can safely recommend knowing that most likely everything will turn out right.

There is always the danger they'll come back with a regatta timer, a CPO 1 series with high mileage or God forbid, black cordovan shell shoes with the suit, but all in all the "safer" choice for the man -or liberated lady- who does not want to examine his/her decisions closely.
No black shell cordovan shoes with a suit? Really? This is a bad thing?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2016, 04:28 PM   #97
vintage69
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 p date
I wear a Rolex because it has excellent quality and value. One of my friends is a watchmaker who has contributed to the edition of watch repair manuels and has been on the oversight board verifing the various training schools. He states that the movements in Rolex watches are among the best.
vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2016, 12:43 AM   #98
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Rolex maybe the introduction to high end watches and many may never move up.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2016, 03:25 AM   #99
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakattack62 View Post
I'm fortunate enough to own both. Both are great watches. For the record, I prefer Rolex over Patek but you can't slam a Patek watch. There's a reason they sell for the price that they do. Having said that, nothing more solid than a Rolex.
Have both as well, yet did sell off many Pateks in favor of Rolex. Durability, accuracy, and fast service from Rolex were some of the key points. Also am the active type sun, air and water so needed that great Rolex usability. Perhaps it is in keeping young and active that makes Rolex an excellent choice.

My wife/muse is also extremely active, including zumba and other sports, so a Rolex made sense over something pretty from Patek yet fragile.

As someone else said, i chose Rolex because i know about mechanical timepieces. Quite a few of my longtime watch friends know the change from Patek to Rolex and agree (dare one say admire) my choice.

So why does someone who does not know about watches get a Rolex? Proven brand for generations, their ongoing support for sporting and other events, etc. Rolex does a lot to benefit / support the efforts of others. What has Patek done to support sports / events / etc?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2016, 04:13 AM   #100
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Rolex oyster watches are always a solid choice. The everyday person usually knows of the Rolex brand which goes to show how amazing the Rolex marketing machine is.

BTW Patek has nothing to prove or do to maintain its position on the watch pecking order. I will always be a more exclusive and luxurious brand than Rolex.
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2016, 04:21 AM   #101
Timesurfer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Daytona BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Here's your answer (offered by an 'evolutionary biologist' no less):

https://www.quora.com/Why-would-anyo...-a-Rolex-watch
The underlying motives behind the purchase of luxury items can be elusive. I believe that was valid from that point of view and a very interesting read.

Thanks for sharing!
Timesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 03:40 AM   #102
gabegd
"TRF" Member

Watch: es that don't TIC
I don't think there is a "wrong" reason to want to wear a Rolex. Buying a rolex is an investment just because someone doesn't have the full background knowledge of rolex doesn't mean that they are buying for a wrong reason. Rolex is a global brand they want to attract consumers not trying to teach them everything that goes behind making one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicoJG View Post
I recently read a thread about the Submariner being the go to Rolex for people who don't know watches, however, wouldnt it be more fitting that people who don't know watches get a Rolex?

Over the years I've met several people who want to get a Rolex, but why?
The answer to that can be disputed by many and we all have different opinions.
When I've asked which Rolex do you plan on getting? The answers: don't know, the black one, the white one, the silver one, the one with the longest battery life, I don't know, how many different Rolex are there? Etc,etc.

Some of us love Rolex for the multiple reasons.
Some people just want to wear a Rolex for for the wrong reasons?
Your thoughts?
gabegd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 11:30 PM   #103
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 116713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch105 View Post
There is no one wearing a Rolex for the wrong reason unless they stole it.

Rolex is a fine watch. Most people understand this even if they bought it for status because Rolex earned that status with a great, great watch, which is a great brand, from a great great watch company.

Sure, they may not know or care that there are other higher horological offerings out there but the wrong reasons? No. They paid and bought a watch. They have every bit the reason to wear their watch anytime anyplace.

Like many here I also own Patek, and JLC, Omega (Speedy) etc, but I truly love Rolex too no matter who I see wear them.
I agree wholeheartedly with this post!!! By the way, I do know about Rolexes and other brands.
Duke of Dulwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2017, 11:55 PM   #104
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
Patek is going downhill - both in terms of value and design.

So, I'll keep Rolex.
i dont know if PP is going downhill but i do know that WF have a bnib PP Nautilus that i believe retails at around £65k for a whopping £135,000k,,,jay
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 12:05 AM   #105
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
Quote:
Some people just want to wear a Rolex for for the wrong reasons?
Your thoughts?
It's none of my business why someone else purchases a Rolex, their reason's are none of my concern. Who am I to determine if their reasons are right or wrong? Seems like a pointless and wasted observation.

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Craigdwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 02:37 AM   #106
PatronMTL
"TRF" Member

99% of people know what a car is and how to use it but know nothing about the specs of the car they buy other than they like the way it looks. who cares if people know nothing about rolex and buy one, they at least have good taste and that's how watches starts to become a passion/hobby.

I knew nothing about rolex other than the basics until i actually decided i wanted to buy one, in only a couple weeks I've learned a lot. Nobody is born knowing everything about a watch company
PatronMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2017, 02:39 AM   #107
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
When I've asked which Rolex do you plan on getting? The answers: don't know, the black one, the white one, the silver one, the one with the longest battery life, I don't know, how many different Rolex are there? Etc,etc.
Have heard a similar one, from someone who badly wanted one, even thought of financing it but eventually didn't buy it: "i don't know what model it was, the coloured one with circles on the dial"
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2017, 12:25 AM   #108
moorery2001
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabegd View Post
I don't think there is a "wrong" reason to want to wear a Rolex. Buying a rolex is an investment just because someone doesn't have the full background knowledge of rolex doesn't mean that they are buying for a wrong reason. Rolex is a global brand they want to attract consumers not trying to teach them everything that goes behind making one.

This is a great point, I 100% agree with you.
moorery2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2017, 01:38 AM   #109
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I think that if the Sub is the go-to model for folks that don't know watches it's at least partly due to the classic Sub design. Everyone knows Rolex is a premium brand. Not everyone knows his own personal taste. The Sub is a safe choice in premium watches.
Old 1 August 2017, 09:20 AM   #110
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
people buy what they like whether they know anything about rolex or not.
This was me in '07 with my 16623 and my then wife's LDJ 28. We just knew we loved them. No forums, no nothing.
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2017, 10:37 AM   #111
DougC
"TRF" Member

Hi folks, as you can see I'm fairly new to the forum and hardly ever post, however, I've been wearing Rolex watches for more than forty years. The reason I bought my first, a sub date in 1974, is because I destroyed every divers watch I ever bought (too many brands to list and some almost as expensive as the Rolex) until getting the sub. I also really used my watch for work as a US Navy Deep Sea Diver and later a commercial diver the sub was worn every day for more than thirty years until I traded it for a TT blue sub that I wore for a dozen years or so before trading it in on a DSSD that I now wear every day. I have only had one watch at a time but may add another some day just to have two, a sub C of coarse, either TT blue or YG blue, still love wearing a divers watch even though it's over kill and will rarely see anything below 100'. My wife has two Rolexes a Hulk and a TT 40mm yacht-master, sometime I sport her Hulk when she wears the YM. Anyway after wearing Rolex for this long I would never buy another brand even though some may be better, none have the durability and reputation, I have said to many that the reason I wear a Rolex is because I'm too cheap to wear anything else, it is probably the only brand where you get all your money back and more if you wear it long enough, at least that is how it has been for me!! My other love is cars but the Daytona is just too busy for me and I might not be smart enough to figure out all the buttons.
DougC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 03:25 AM   #112
Sumitaro
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Well I bought a rolex because it's Gangsta to have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sumitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 04:49 AM   #113
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

Lots of people buy a Rolex so as they can take a pic of it inside their Porsche.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 10:43 AM   #114
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
generalization based on a small sample size. thanks for the clarification. you are entitled to your opinion as am I.
Exactly!
Tridor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 11:53 AM   #115
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Who gives a tinker's damn. Folks buy many things for many different reasons. With that in mind, they bought it because they liked it. Excessive analysis gets you nowhere.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2017, 12:37 PM   #116
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Here's your answer (offered by an 'evolutionary biologist' no less):

https://www.quora.com/Why-would-anyo...-a-Rolex-watch
Great link.
Old 2 August 2017, 12:55 PM   #117
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
This is a little old of a thread, but to the OP, why do you say people who don't know watches, buy Rolex?

Judging by your interactions, I don't think you have spoken with people who are always very serious about buying a Rolex watch. By all means, it's tough to say people who don't know watches, buy Rolex.

Perhaps people who don't know watches want Rolex, because of the brand strength, but doesn't mean that they actually buy Rolex or are representative of owners ...
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 02:29 AM   #118
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
I still remember when I was 12, a man at the pool showed me his Sub (around 1977) and said one day you will own one of these. He use to swim laps in the pool looking at and turning the bezel timing his laps every day. For some reason, at that moment, I was hooked on diver's watches and bought several. But none ever scratched the itch. Then I bought a few Rolexes but always returned them because I couldn't justify paying $1600.00, at that time, for a watch. Fast forward to today and I am still hooked. Only the same watches are $7K plus. I own two, an SD$K and YMRG40mm. Still conflicted about the cost as together they cost what most people pay for a car. However, I feel that I deserve them. I also associate Rolex with toughness and durability. Yes I was sold by the cool books that use to come with the Submariner, but they just feel tough too. And now I know a whole lot about Rolex watches :) You only live once!!
Oceanlover914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 04:15 AM   #119
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I suppose for most who just know of the name Rolex and not really what the watches look like it is the DJ and Sub they are drawn to. For me, bizarrely it was the YM, when I was young I thought that was the "Sub" the uber popular watch. Glad I own one now many years later, tho I did get a few subs first.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 05:59 AM   #120
gmooreil
"TRF" Member

I don't think that there is wrong reason to buy a rolex (unless you want to show off to people who could really care less). Some people are not into watches as much as the people on this forum are, and that's okay. You should be able to take things with a grain of salt and not let them hinder you from what YOU think of the brand.
gmooreil is offline   Reply With Quote