The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 August 2017, 06:10 AM   #121
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

People have a variety of reasons for wanting and purchasing a Rolex. For some its the rich history of the brand and its presence through world history, for others its a status piece. I was drawn to it as I've been into watches my whole life as well as James Bond. So it only was a matter of time that a Rolex eventually found its way onto my wrist. I've had other brands, but the crown is one that I'll likely always keep and wear. After all if its good enough for 007 it'll work for me !!
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 08:22 AM   #122
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Yes. Buy the hype, advertising, and all the superlatives voiced on forums.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 01:05 AM   #123
Romeojk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
Hi folks, as you can see I'm fairly new to the forum and hardly ever post, however, I've been wearing Rolex watches for more than forty years. The reason I bought my first, a sub date in 1974, is because I destroyed every divers watch I ever bought (too many brands to list and some almost as expensive as the Rolex) until getting the sub. I also really used my watch for work as a US Navy Deep Sea Diver and later a commercial diver the sub was worn every day for more than thirty years until I traded it for a TT blue sub that I wore for a dozen years or so before trading it in on a DSSD that I now wear every day. I have only had one watch at a time but may add another some day just to have two, a sub C of coarse, either TT blue or YG blue, still love wearing a divers watch even though it's over kill and will rarely see anything below 100'. My wife has two Rolexes a Hulk and a TT 40mm yacht-master, sometime I sport her Hulk when she wears the YM. Anyway after wearing Rolex for this long I would never buy another brand even though some may be better, none have the durability and reputation, I have said to many that the reason I wear a Rolex is because I'm too cheap to wear anything else, it is probably the only brand where you get all your money back and more if you wear it long enough, at least that is how it has been for me!! My other love is cars but the Daytona is just too busy for me and I might not be smart enough to figure out all the buttons.

Awesome insight thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 01:15 AM   #124
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
This is hilarious that this would bother anyone.
It's none of your business whether they buy a Rolex or a Bugatti for that matter.
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 01:23 AM   #125
Romeojk
2024 Pledge Member

People who don't know watches buy Chopard (no disrespect meant...let me explain).

I owned a Tag and loved the Chopard watches. I looked around on forums and here and short story...they did not seem to hold their value as well as Rolex.

I read all this stuff about buy what you like and don't worry about stuff like that.

We'll...I like stuff like that. I like a watch that holds its value. I like a watch that looks good. I like a watch that makes me feel good.

To me it feels a little like a badge or award your given and you need to live up to the expectations that come with it.

I know it's just a watch. I know it doesn't make me a better person. But I know it makes me (at times)...we'll, makes is too strong...reminds me to be a little better. Role model, husband, father.

Let's call it what it is...an expensive piece of string on my wrist instead of my finger.

Great string of comments here thanks everyone. And those links were great too!

Old 18 August 2017, 04:27 AM   #126
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
If they enjoy it and it makes them happu then they've bought it for the right reasons. When I win the lottery I will be buying an Aston Martin. I know nothing about the way it works beyond the fact you hit the accelerator, it says "vroom" then goes terribly fast and I don't much care. I would probably end up in a wall if I took it on a track. Regardless I would feel about 20 feet tall driving it and that's what matters.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 04:51 AM   #127
NothingToSeeHere
"TRF" Member

Nearly all people I know with a Rolex bought it for its prestige and looks. None, including myself, care about its movement or any other details. It's a good looking watch and is the single most recognizable luxury watch in the world. You wouldn't believe how many of these Rolex people have never even heard of Omega or Breitling. I won't even get into AP or the other brands. I'd say the vast majority (85% or more) of Rolex owners purchased the watch because it's a sign of success. Up until recently, it was guaranteed the first luxury watch people went to buy when they made a few bucks. Keep in mind the numbers are skewed on the forums. The percentage of passionate and knowledgeable Rolex owners on this board is not representative of that outside in the real world. Here a whole lot of people care about the little details.
NothingToSeeHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 07:01 AM   #128
JasonKrick
"TRF" Member

Who cares how people spend their money on what they like.

The title is no different than saying: those who know nothing about sports cars gets a Porsche.

Or those who don't know suits first gets an Armani.

What people have or choose to do with their money is none of my business.
JasonKrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 09:00 PM   #129
Grace
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liu_watch View Post
People who don't know about watches - they buy Rolex.

People who know a lot about watches - they buy Rolex.

Cat lovers buy Rolex. Non-cat lovers also buy Rolex.

Successful people buy Rolex.
Pimps buy Rolex.

Therefore, all kinds of people buy Rolex. No need to generalize.

Here is an interesting read:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jackfors.../#132fbd91708e

Thanks for that article..was a good read!
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 10:18 PM   #130
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
So what? If Rolex is a "go to" watch for the non-WIS, then so be it. Those folks may not know watches, per se, but they know enough to pick a quality timepiece with a great horological history as well as a proven track record of reliability, robustness, prestige, and serviceability. How many of us "in the know" have acquired pieces thought to be examples of haute horology (e.g., multiple complications, Geneva stripes, blued screws, perlage, etc.), only to discover that they are fragile, exceedingly expensive to service, and depreciate drastically on the secondary market? As for me, a somewhat knowledgeable WIS, I'll stick with Rolex.
Tridor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 10:47 PM   #131
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Sorry if this rather obvious point has been made upthread, I haven't read the lot. Of course people who don't know watches buy Rolex, in much the same way people who don't know watches buy Omega, Panerai, Seiko, Citizen, Casio, Fossil etc etc. 95%+ of people who buy watches aren't really into watches, so they buy whatever they fancy, from whichever brand fits their personal sense of style and budget. Watch enthusiasts, and perhaps especially Rolex fans, should be grateful that non-watch cognoscenti buy their favourite brands, because if they didn't, every single watch company in the world would be out of business through not selling enough watches.

If there is a difference with Rolex, it's because as easily the most well-known luxury brand in the world, it attracts more overt signallers - that is people who are buying the watch purely for the name and for the message that it sends out - "I am rich enough that I can waste lots of money on an item I don't really need". This kind of signalling works much better with Rolex than, say Patek, because even though Patek is the undisputed king of haute horology, no bugger knows what it is apart from people who are into watches so your signal is going to be wasted on the vast majority of people you ever meet and happen to notice what's on your wrist. These people don't need to know whether Rolexes are robust or well made. They don't care about in-house movements or innovations like the Oyster water resistant case. They have no interest in the history of the Submariner or Explorer. I make no judgements about this at all, signalling is ingrained in us through millions of years of evolution and people ought to be able to do whatever the hell they like as long as they don't harm other people.

Of course, almost everybody on this forum is also a signaller - after all how many would still be here if the watch on your wrist was identical in every single way but was branded "Timex" not "Rolex"? A few, but not many I'd guess. The difference is that people here appreciate those things I've mentioned above that non-WIS don't. And that's why we're all here, in the end.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 05:24 AM   #132
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakalwe View Post
of course, almost everybody on this forum is also a signaller - after all how many would still be here if the watch on your wrist was identical in every single way but was branded "timex" not "rolex"? A few, but not many i'd guess.
thank you!
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 05:28 AM   #133
sager
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonKrick View Post
Who cares how people spend their money on what they like.

The title is no different than saying: those who know nothing about sports cars gets a Porsche.

Or those who don't know suits first gets an Armani.

What people have or choose to do with their money is none of my business.
Thank you. Good points.
sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 08:17 AM   #134
sdgadave
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710/SD43
This is a good topic. When I bought my first Rolex i went in looking for a Tag, then I saw Baume&Marcier, finally I went to the Rolex case and fell in love with the GMTII and bought it. I did not think of resale value or anything about the watch but that it was a Rolex. As time went on I read about the brand and learned about the different watches and what they do. I wore it everyday for the next 15 years not worrying about scuffs or little scratches and just enjoyed the watch. When I purchased my second Rolex I developed the WIS mentally about keeping it clean and free from scratches and worrying about resale value and forgot to just wear the watch. I have sold and bought a few watches and have now settled on the LVc as my daily wearer. My Brother and his wife bought their first Rolexes, SS DJII's and wear them the way I did to do everything!! BBQ, swim, hiking, work cleaning running etc. I do envy that feeling of just wearing the watch. Like some have said at the end of the day it really just tells the time... of course it does it with a lot of style :-)

sdgadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 08:48 AM   #135
Hulley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Please forgive the dumb question, what is WIS?
Hulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 09:20 AM   #136
WEST HAM ROLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT LN/SD43/D Blue
No don't agree

Very few maybe, but most people buy a certain model of Rolex because it is a very nice time piece.

You could say that some guys in the city I know, only buy a Patek because their friends have one?

Or,, A guy that buys a Bentley doesn't know anything about cars?

Just love my Rolex and don't care if anyone else does
WEST HAM ROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 09:41 AM   #137
run23
"TRF" Member

Yes, I think many people buy Rolex's because they don't know much about watches, and Rolex is one of the only brands that they know. That doesn't mean it's not a great watch, or a great choice for someone that doesn't want to spend hours on a watch forum but just wants to get a 'safe' choice. Nothing at all wrong with that, and I think we'd all agree that it is a safe choice. Not many people regret buying one, and if you do it's very easy to sell without taking a financial bath.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 10:44 AM   #138
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
People who don't know watches, say people who don't know watches buy Rolex'.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 10:50 AM   #139
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeojk View Post
People who don't know watches buy Chopard (no disrespect meant...let me explain).

I owned a Tag and loved the Chopard watches. I looked around on forums and here and short story...they did not seem to hold their value as well as Rolex.

I read all this stuff about buy what you like and don't worry about stuff like that.

We'll...I like stuff like that. I like a watch that holds its value. I like a watch that looks good. I like a watch that makes me feel good.

To me it feels a little like a badge or award your given and you need to live up to the expectations that come with it.

I know it's just a watch. I know it doesn't make me a better person. But I know it makes me (at times)...we'll, makes is too strong...reminds me to be a little better. Role model, husband, father.

Let's call it what it is...an expensive piece of string on my wrist instead of my finger.

Great string of comments here thanks everyone. And those links were great too!

I think Rolex and Cartier are the leading brand recognition buys, so surprised you picked Chopard, they do have a strong jewellery line but nothing like the watch sales of those two. I'm a fan and a previous owner of their Mille Miglia line so I know how in demand this brand is. Omega, Breitling and Tag would be the other big three brand names that are bought.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 10:55 AM   #140
Romeojk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think Rolex and Cartier are the leading brand recognition buys, so surprised you picked Chopard, they do have a strong jewellery line but nothing like the watch sales of those two. I'm a fan and a previous owner of their Mille Miglia line so I know how in demand this brand is.

The Mille Miglia is what caught my eye.

Old 23 August 2017, 10:58 AM   #141
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeojk View Post
The Mille Miglia is what caught my eye.

Always been one of my fave watches, I had the GTXL but just the 44mm size was my issue, wish that was 42mm.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 11:06 AM   #142
sdgadave
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710/SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
Please forgive the dumb question, what is WIS?

This is copied from a previous post by padi56 and love it!

WIS = Watch Idiot Savant.

1.A person self trained to sleep in 5 positions while wearing his/her COSC certified chronometer in bed.

2.A person who opens the back of a new Patek on the first day of acquisition and hand winds the rotor to tighten up the main spring.

3. A person who takes his 2000 meter water proof Rolex SD off from the wrist. And puts it into the deepest pocket,and three plastic bags before walking into a rain storm without any rain gear on.

4.A person who waits every 5 minute in front of his radio controlled clock in order to adjust all his/her 14 mechanical watches to the accuracy within -2/+2 seconds per 24 hours.

5. A person who can memorises all serial numbers of the Rolex watches made in the past 60 years but keeps forgetting the wifes wedding anniversary.

6. A person who washes his/her watch in luxury shampoo,polishes with specially bought cloth.Then rests it on another specially bought cloth just encase they scratch the stainless steel.

And reading the many many posts on TRF we sure now have quite a few above.

sdgadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 11:11 AM   #143
WhiskeyKoffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
This thread beats all I have ever seen. A watch tells you what time it is. Any ten dollar watch will do that. People buy what they like and what they want. It doesn't have a #*@&! thing to do with who knows watches and who doesn't. That claim is insulting, completely baseless, and without merit.
Old 23 August 2017, 11:19 AM   #144
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
people buy what they like whether they know anything about rolex or not.

Agreed. What else matters?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 11:20 AM   #145
Hulley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgadave View Post
This is copied from a previous post by padi56 and love it!

WIS = Watch Idiot Savant.

1.A person self trained to sleep in 5 positions while wearing his/her COSC certified chronometer in bed.

2.A person who opens the back of a new Patek on the first day of acquisition and hand winds the rotor to tighten up the main spring.

3. A person who takes his 2000 meter water proof Rolex SD off from the wrist. And puts it into the deepest pocket,and three plastic bags before walking into a rain storm without any rain gear on.

4.A person who waits every 5 minute in front of his radio controlled clock in order to adjust all his/her 14 mechanical watches to the accuracy within -2/+2 seconds per 24 hours.

5. A person who can memorises all serial numbers of the Rolex watches made in the past 60 years but keeps forgetting the wifes wedding anniversary.

6. A person who washes his/her watch in luxury shampoo,polishes with specially bought cloth.Then rests it on another specially bought cloth just encase they scratch the stainless steel.

And reading the many many posts on TRF we sure now have quite a few above.

Ha! Thank you!
Hulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 12:20 PM   #146
Nicoleinfl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ballon Bleu
I've always loved "nice" watches. I got my first Seiko when I was 16, then I graduated to Raymond Weil, Ebel, Cartier, and just this week, my first Rolex! I purposely avoided Rolex for a long time as it reminded me of that $300 Seiko I got when I was 16. I finally had a change of heart after seeing a friends Rolex, and I now wear my new DJ with pride! This new watch represents all my hard work and success!
Nicoleinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 01:04 PM   #147
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
The difference is Bose is universally reviled by Audiophiles.
That because it's of low musical quality.. unlike Rolex...
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 01:09 PM   #148
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I don't know why people get defensive....it's pretty common and well known people who don't know watches buy Rolex when they think high end due to the marketing/name. What's also true is people who do love watches most certainly appreciate Rolex also for the quality/robustness.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 01:11 PM   #149
arinsd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I have a confession.

When I started Rolex shopping a part of me wanted the watch for the name and reputation. However, after joining this forum and spending hours upon hours researching, reading, and watching YouTube... I learned so much. The rich history and quality of the watch gave me a new found apprication for the brand. I was open to any stainless steel model around 8k and gravitated towards the subC. Next to marrying my wife it was the best decision I ever made.
arinsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 01:15 PM   #150
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
A lot of men have Rolex watches and know nothing about them save for the fact that they are expensive and are status symbols to many. Often these men received their Rolexes from wives or girlfriends. The wife/girlfriend bought it because it's expensive and thought of as "posh." So while it's sometimes true that people who don't know watches buy Rolex, plenty of us buy them because we know quality and great design.