The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 June 2017, 11:41 AM   #1
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Platona vs Patek - the battle of the P's!

First world problems. I see a few posts on this topic and the TLDR seems to be that the Platona is a tank and a better "do everything" watch. Other people say that for comparative money they will always choose Patek. This will be my only expensive watch with about 10-15k left over for a steel piece. Here are some of my thoughts below. I am just looking for a little more insight that anyone can provide as to the +- ve.

*Part of the reason the used prices in Canada are better is because we have lower retail price comparatively so when I convert to USD it is better*

Platona - I found a used example being sold privately in Canada from 2014 for around 42k US which seems good. I love the weight of the platinum and the look of the platona. I have never tried platinum in person. Does it shine brighter than steel and white gold? Does it really make a gold watch feel like steel? I hear people saying its understated but I hope it pops a bit in real life compared to the lesser metals

Patek 5980R-001/5980steel/5990 - I am not sure on which Nautilus chronograph I would go with but I have located a used 5980R-001 only 6 months old in Canada for around 45k US which is also a great price from what I can tell.

Option 3: Spend the extra 10-15k and blow it all on a datograph up/down or patek 5960P annual calendar chronograph (because sometimes you have to be a boss )

Thanks guys,

Inb4: "try whichever you will lose less on when you flip in 2 weeks". I don't intentionally flip guys!!! It just happens

Josh
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 11:56 AM   #2
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I like the platona but I am a simple man. PT is very noble, much more resistant than SS or 18k gold (source: periodic table).
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 12:00 PM   #3
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Platinum does shine brighter than steel. Side by side, you will definitely see it. And that ice blue dial is incredible. Pictures really don't do it justice.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 12:06 PM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
5980r blew me away when I first tried it on, but I've heard often it's not the most comfortable. Then a couple of years later the 5711/1r was released and that was the one for me.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 12:32 PM   #5
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

First question - are you a YG/RG type of person, meaning do you have YG/RG watches and do you wear it regularly? Or are you a white metal (SS/WG/Plt) type of person?

If you like the YG/RG, then I would go with the PP 5980R. However because this comes with a leather strap, it will tend to be more of a dress watch. If you are looking at the 5980/1R with the RG bracelet, then the price will be a lot higher.

If you like white metal, then the Platona, 5980/1A (in SS) or 5990/1A (in SS) would fit the bill.

All four watches are great watches and it really is personal preference.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 12:40 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
First world problems. I see a few posts on this topic and the TLDR seems to be that the Platona is a tank and a better "do everything" watch. Other people say that for comparative money they will always choose Patek. This will be my only expensive watch with about 10-15k left over for a steel piece. Here are some of my thoughts below. I am just looking for a little more insight that anyone can provide as to the +- ve.

*Part of the reason the used prices in Canada are better is because we have lower retail price comparatively so when I convert to USD it is better*

Platona - I found a used example being sold privately in Canada from 2014 for around 42k US which seems good. I love the weight of the platinum and the look of the platona. I have never tried platinum in person. Does it shine brighter than steel and white gold? Does it really make a gold watch feel like steel? I hear people saying its understated but I hope it pops a bit in real life compared to the lesser metals

Patek 5980R-001/5980steel/5990 - I am not sure on which Nautilus chronograph I would go with but I have located a used 5980R-001 only 6 months old in Canada for around 45k US which is also a great price from what I can tell.

Option 3: Spend the extra 10-15k and blow it all on a datograph up/down or patek 5960P annual calendar chronograph (because sometimes you have to be a boss )

Thanks guys,

Inb4: "try whichever you will lose less on when you flip in 2 weeks". I don't intentionally flip guys!!! It just happens

Josh
i think the 5960 is less than the 5980 -- but, i'd haver to say 5980 in SS over a platona.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 12:41 PM   #7
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
I'd go for the 5980 or PP Calendar chrono 5960 which is a great everyday stunning piece

youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 12:46 PM   #8
wrist_watcher
Banned

Watch: GMTII
I say just flip a coin either way. You will sell it in in less than a month anyway.
wrist_watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 12:53 PM   #9
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
First question - are you a YG/RG type of person, meaning do you have YG/RG watches and do you wear it regularly? Or are you a white metal (SS/WG/Plt) type of person?

If you like the YG/RG, then I would go with the PP 5980R. However because this comes with a leather strap, it will tend to be more of a dress watch. If you are looking at the 5980/1R with the RG bracelet, then the price will be a lot higher.

If you like white metal, then the Platona, 5980/1A (in SS) or 5990/1A (in SS) would fit the bill.

All four watches are great watches and it really is personal preference.
I think I am more of a white metal person on a daily basis. I tried yellow gold and didn't like it but the rose gold from Patek is much nicer. If I could find a used 5980/90 in steel at a good price I would consider it. What do you think is a good used price for these models? Being on the fence I may just go with the platona because I can find a nice used example in Canada.
Old 17 June 2017, 01:06 PM   #10
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Go for it.

Quote:
I think I am more of a white metal person on a daily basis. I tried yellow gold and didn't like it but the rose gold from Patek is much nicer. If I could find a used 5980/90 in steel at a good price I would consider it. What do you think is a good used price for these models? Being on the fence I may just go with the platona because I can find a nice used example in Canada.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 01:51 PM   #11
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The prices you were offered for the Platona and 5980R are quite reasonable. For a 5980/1A, I would say $40K USD is a good price. Pricing may depend on the dial color and what is available for sale on the market.

The 5990/1A has been out since 2014, but the production numbers are still quite low and it is hard to get one for a good price as demand seems to exceed supply. US list price is $53K USD and Swiss price is 47K CHF. However many resellers are pricing pre-owned pieces at higher than new AD price. If you can get one at list price or less from an AD, it would be a good deal.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 01:53 PM   #12
Jaycnyp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Addict
Get the platona, it's well, the platona. Oh where is DR. Tom with his enabling pictures.
Jaycnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 02:08 PM   #13
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Get the Platona, and with the residual $$, backfill with a 5167a. Problem solved.

I just took this photo of the Platona. It really is as awesome as advertised.

Old 17 June 2017, 02:16 PM   #14
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
Have you researched cost to service each watch? How about average time to get the watch serviced? How about average time between service?

Purchase price is only part of the decision.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 02:28 PM   #15
scrappy
"TRF" Member

I'm fortunate to own a Platona, 5980/1A (blue), 5990, 5980/1R (bracelet), 5960R (black dial) and a Dato up/down. In my opinion:

Dato > 5980/1R > 5990 > 5980/1A > 5960 > Platona
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2017, 02:46 PM   #16
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
I'm fortunate to own a Platona, 5980/1A (blue), 5990, 5980/1R (bracelet), 5960R (black dial) and a Dato up/down. In my opinion:

Dato > 5980/1R > 5990 > 5980/1A > 5960 > Platona
Dang. Impressive collection. Dato in rose gold or platinum do you think?
Old 17 June 2017, 02:48 PM   #17
scrappy
"TRF" Member

Platona vs Patek - the battle of the P's!

Quote:
Dang. Impressive collection. Dato in rose gold or platinum do you think?

Platinum. It's a very masculine looking (and feeling) watch.

scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 04:04 AM   #18
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

The Datograph is the real deal. That movement is second to none.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 04:20 AM   #19
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I really like ALS watches and the Datograph is beautiful. But if this is going to be one of two watches, I think the Daytona is more "practical." IMO, a bracelet is more practical than a leather band. Hot and sweaty? No problem? You can just wash it off.

I have never owned an ALS, but get the impression that you are not going to be waiting ten years between services, and that the services will be significantly more expensive and more like a six month process than a six week process.

The Daytona looks, IMO, great in every situation and would be much more appropriate with a pair or shorts, or a pair of jeans than the Datograph.

I am under the impression that the PP watches would have similar drawbacks to the Datograph, and are equally "problematic" for an every day watch or as part of a two watch collection.

I admit that I made my choice, and am biased.
Old 18 June 2017, 06:14 AM   #20
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Servicing is neither as expensive or as lengthy as you believe. Lange is not Patek thankfully! If you're interested in knowing more about those practical issues contact a Lange Boutique or ask Datograph owners here what their experience is like.

Given the choice I would take a Datograph and add a Speedmaster Pro on a bracelet to cover both bases. My personal version is to substitute the 1815 Chronograph for the Datograph. I see no point in the Platona where the movement is identical to the base ss version. You're just paying a big premium for pt that's all.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 06:25 AM   #21
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Yeah on the contrary Alkis has a fantastic reputation for Lange service when compared with HSA.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 06:27 AM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
My concern is that you sold the BLRO citing it didn't really feel special as the WG was so discrete. Same will go for the 116506
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 06:55 AM   #23
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

The datograph is a very very very special watch.

I prefer the rose gold to the platinum as the platinum is just too heavy.

I don't equate the datograph and the 5980 to being the same though as imo the 5980 is much sportier.

Despite the difference in complications, I equate the datograph more to the 5270.
Old 18 June 2017, 07:53 AM   #24
aes7.5x55
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
I would choose the Platona in this case. While I'm sure they're fantastic, Patek's sport offerings don't do anything for me.
aes7.5x55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 07:58 AM   #25
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I have both the Platona and the Patek 5980-1R. They are very different watches. The Platona is robust and heavy, while the Patek is more elegant and detailed; more of a dress watch. Both are fantastic timepieces. Getting closer to 60 yrs. old, I am not afraid to wear the rose gold 5980 with a polo shirt and shorts, but if I were younger, the Platona would probably get a lot more wrist time with its sporting nature.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 09:27 AM   #26
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Whatever it is I hope you really like it and keep it. You must be getting an idea of what you really want by now.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 09:46 AM   #27
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Whatever it is I hope you really like it and keep it. You must be getting an idea of what you really want by now.
so true
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 10:18 AM   #28
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Maybe he's just run out of watches under $30k to try!
Old 18 June 2017, 10:28 AM   #29
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I really like ALS watches and the Datograph is beautiful. But if this is going to be one of two watches, I think the Daytona is more "practical." IMO, a bracelet is more practical than a leather band. Hot and sweaty? No problem? You can just wash it off.

I have never owned an ALS, but get the impression that you are not going to be waiting ten years between services, and that the services will be significantly more expensive and more like a six month process than a six week process.

The Daytona looks, IMO, great in every situation and would be much more appropriate with a pair or shorts, or a pair of jeans than the Datograph.

I am under the impression that the PP watches would have similar drawbacks to the Datograph, and are equally "problematic" for an every day watch or as part of a two watch collection.

I admit that I made my choice, and am biased.
Agree. I have the first generation Datograph and it is one of the best chronographs, IMO. Only thing is I don't wear it very often because it is on a strap and less versatile esp. in hot Texas weather. The Platona is more versatile and once you have it on the wrist you can tell it's special. The feel and the shine of platinum is amazing. I thought about getting the platona but I was able to get the Daytona-c.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2017, 12:02 PM   #30
cdm765
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
5960-1a
cdm765 is offline   Reply With Quote