The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 August 2017, 03:40 AM   #1
axelfoley
"TRF" Member

Yachtmaster 116622 bezel dilemma

I purchased my first Rolex in March of this year from a NYC AD: A 116622 Yacht Master Dark Rhodium dial. I was extremely excited about this watch; I have been in love with it ever since it came out in Basel 2016.

Maybe I was naive, but I wanted a watch I could wear almost every day without thinking much about it. The only time I want to remove my watch is when doing physical activity for a long period, like hiking, rock climbing, or helping a friend move.

However, my problem is that the Yacht Master platinum bezel scratches during normal wear if it comes into accidental contact with a solid surface. I don’t want to take off my watch if I’m lifting up something or loading a heavy box into the car. But now I feel like I have to, or the platinum could scratch. I have scratched the bezel loading things into the car and by hitting a wall when walking.

I have no issue with the bracelet scratching — I was fully aware this would happen with the PCLs. I’m annoyed about the BEZEL having 4 visible scratches after just 3 months of ownership. What will it look like in 1 year? In 3 years? I know that that Rolex can fix this at servicing, but that’s only every 5 years. Sure, the YM is not as much a tool watch as a Sub or Explorer, but frankly I don’t want to treat it delicately and have to think about all day whether the activity I’m doing could scratch the bezel.

Here’s my dilemma: Should I flip the YM for a ceramic bezel watch that will be much more scratch resistant on a daily wear basis, like a subC or BLNR? Or should I keep the YM and wear only on special occasions, and buy another watch to wear daily? I love the look of the YM and enjoy wearing it daily, but the thought of babying my Rolex annoys me to no end.

Thanks all! I’ve attached some pics to the post. Although it’s difficult to capture on camera, the scratches are definitely visible in person even when you’re 1-2 feet away from the bezel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0056.jpg (202.1 KB, 2210 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0059.jpg (201.8 KB, 2189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0062.jpg (270.3 KB, 2171 views)
axelfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 03:45 AM   #2
gr33n
"TRF" Member

Imho: scratches are parts of its life.
Just like yourself, like a car, even like your wife, aging tenderly, your watch will get life scars. Because everything follows a cycle of life and death, returning to Nature.
A ceramic bezel watch will get some too.
With time, the bezel will get polished zones: call it patina, don't stress. My lv sub has got awful scratches... but it's living. I agree, the ones on the bezel are hard to get used to. But only a safe queen stay "pure" (that's why i bought a bnib sd4000 ^^ )
Old 3 August 2017, 03:51 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would maybe sell it for a ceramic. I have the lovely blue dial YM and while it hasn't picked up any marks I am fairly careful with it and actually wear my gold ceramic more when I'm doing the harder yards. Or like me have both.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 03:55 AM   #4
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Possibly the most regrettable flip 16622. It's a beauty but hard to read with plat dial but that one looks easier to read. I have a red date disk in the bank waiting for me to instal when I find the right one again.

I could go blue dial.....??? But I like that blasted plat dial and bezel together is so nice
Old 3 August 2017, 04:09 AM   #5
sager
"TRF" Member

Keep it! This is my favorite yachtmaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 04:56 AM   #6
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Keep it.....almost impossible not to scatratch any watch.....when you put it in for a service in a few years time it'll come back looking like new
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 05:21 AM   #7
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
Just wear it and keep enjoying it. I've had mine for a long time now, wear it everyday no matter what and scratches are a part of the journey.

"Perfection itself is imperfection "

Present: BB58 | BB36 | GMW-B5000D-1JF | 6900-PT80

Past: 16610LN | 16622 | 116610LN | 214270
dr35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 05:41 AM   #8
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
The delicate bezel of the 116622 is well known, I wear my watches as they intend to be.
My suggestion is to buy another Rolex for rotation, preowned something like a sub or explorer II.
Old 3 August 2017, 06:26 AM   #9
00Seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega
Just part of it for a metal bezel to develop some scratches with wear. Don't sweat it...
00Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2017, 06:27 AM   #10
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
That's why I sold mine
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 01:09 PM   #11
McDusty
"TRF" Member

I really want this watch, but the bezel scratching and that it can look dirty/uneven over time puts me off. That, and a concern it might be too blingy
McDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 09:28 PM   #12
Jeffreyc87
"TRF" Member

In reality, those aren't true scratches...with pt, the metal isn't removed but merely pushed over so it's just unbrushed pt underneath.
Jeffreyc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 10:15 PM   #13
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDusty View Post
I really want this watch, but the bezel scratching and that it can look dirty/uneven over time puts me off. That, and a concern it might be too blingy
Sofar no problem with mine but it can happen, if so it can be rectified during service time. A soft toothbrush with shampoo takes care of the dirt.
Old 14 August 2017, 10:19 PM   #14
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
In fairness to Rolex if you've "hit it off a wall when walking" its holding up pretty well.

Doing that would have scratched an aluminium insert and if not possibly damaged a ceramic insert, would certainly have damaged the bezel itself (like the ding you have just after the 30 marker)

Some of those marks look like material transfer (rather than scratches) Have you tried carefully cleaning them? There are some threads on here from memory.

Or it can be refinished - http://watchmakingblog.com/2011/09/1...master-bezels/

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 10:37 PM   #15
Wildy
"TRF" Member

Mine is from December 2012. Has had a recent service by RSC London and looks as good as new

Old 14 August 2017, 10:40 PM   #16
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

I don't own a YM but if someone could confirm that Rolex could indeed service the bezel and restore the finish when being serviced then I would't worry about it at all.

On the other hand, if the bezel isn't repairable and the platinum is permanently marked then I would probably think about flipping to a ceramic bezel.
southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 10:43 PM   #17
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
I would not flip that for a BLNR or a ceramic sub. This is a much more unique and better looking watch. But I like to wear my watches and am not concerned if it looks like it. If most here saw some of the scratches on my watches they would be running to the RSC to get polished immediately.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 11:16 PM   #18
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
The YM is a great watch. Been close to getting one myself a few times. I like metal bezels over ceramic. Yes they do scratch but all watches get scratched if you use them. They get polished at service. Then scratched with use and so on. The flip side is yes ceramic doesn't scratch but it can shatter where for the most part metal can't and is much more durable.
Mr DateJust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 11:24 PM   #19
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
I have liked YM ever since so got into a Rolexes but always preferred a Sub. You sound like you really love the model but if it's giving you grief see if there's another model with a ceramic bezel that will be as great to own.

My big issue with the YM bezel is how parts fade with time and the color is not even.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2017, 11:52 PM   #20
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcarolina1801 View Post
I don't own a YM but if someone could confirm that Rolex could indeed service the bezel and restore the finish when being serviced then I would't worry about it at all.

On the other hand, if the bezel isn't repairable and the platinum is permanently marked then I would probably think about flipping to a ceramic bezel.
Im curious about this as well.
HONDABBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 12:07 AM   #21
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
As others have said, all watches with metal will scratch!

Should people not get the datejust because the bezel scratches?? How about the Explorer? Or Milgauss? or old Daytonas? Or Exp IIs? Or 5 digit sport models with aluminum bezels?
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 12:26 AM   #22
Wildy
"TRF" Member

As shown the bezel will come back as good as new from RSC.

Old 15 August 2017, 02:04 AM   #23
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I would keep it and enjoy it. Its a great looking watch.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 02:04 AM   #24
Porter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Possibly the most regrettable flip 16622. It's a beauty but hard to read with plat dial but that one looks easier to read. I have a red date disk in the bank waiting for me to instal when I find the right one again.

I could go blue dial.....??? But I like that blasted plat dial and bezel together is so nice
Gotcha!!
Crazy little thing called love!!
Hahaha
My 16622 is one of my favourites! ....Bad flip Mark, BAD!!!

"If you're not having fun you're doing something wrong". Groucho Marx.
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 02:09 AM   #25
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
If you're going to obsess over every mark on the bezel, it would probably be best to move on to a more durable bezel such as the sub or GMT.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 02:09 AM   #26
Porter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor....
Keep the YM!! Mine have light scratches on the bezel but I don't care! One day will be serviced!! The YM is a beauty with and without scratches!!
I've installed a new plexi in my 5513 and after 3 days have some scratches. Doesn't matter, is a tool watch and one day after moooooore scratches I'll polish it till remove all of them.

Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 02:52 AM   #27
Justice12
"TRF" Member

I love the YM, really wish I went the blue route instead of the Subc, yours looks amazing, just think in 5 years it will look new again after service
Justice12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 03:01 AM   #28
Mirx
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX
Why not a give it another month or two of wear? Perhaps in this time you can get used to it and enjoy your watch.

And if not, you still have the option of flipping it for a ceramic bezel watch.
Mirx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 05:52 AM   #29
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Mine is from December 2012. Has had a recent service by RSC London and looks as good as new

Is that 35 mm ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter View Post
Gotcha!!
Crazy little thing called love!!
Hahaha
My 16622 is one of my favourites! ....Bad flip Mark, BAD!!!

Im still searching for you ??!! Have you thought about a green one ??
Old 15 August 2017, 07:26 AM   #30
OutofControl8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB/??????
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelfoley View Post
I purchased my first Rolex in March of this year from a NYC AD: A 116622 Yacht Master Dark Rhodium dial. I was extremely excited about this watch; I have been in love with it ever since it came out in Basel 2016.

Maybe I was naive, but I wanted a watch I could wear almost every day without thinking much about it. The only time I want to remove my watch is when doing physical activity for a long period, like hiking, rock climbing, or helping a friend move.

However, my problem is that the Yacht Master platinum bezel scratches during normal wear if it comes into accidental contact with a solid surface. I don’t want to take off my watch if I’m lifting up something or loading a heavy box into the car. But now I feel like I have to, or the platinum could scratch. I have scratched the bezel loading things into the car and by hitting a wall when walking.

I have no issue with the bracelet scratching — I was fully aware this would happen with the PCLs. I’m annoyed about the BEZEL having 4 visible scratches after just 3 months of ownership. What will it look like in 1 year? In 3 years? I know that that Rolex can fix this at servicing, but that’s only every 5 years. Sure, the YM is not as much a tool watch as a Sub or Explorer, but frankly I don’t want to treat it delicately and have to think about all day whether the activity I’m doing could scratch the bezel.

Here’s my dilemma: Should I flip the YM for a ceramic bezel watch that will be much more scratch resistant on a daily wear basis, like a subC or BLNR? Or should I keep the YM and wear only on special occasions, and buy another watch to wear daily? I love the look of the YM and enjoy wearing it daily, but the thought of babying my Rolex annoys me to no end.

Thanks all! I’ve attached some pics to the post. Although it’s difficult to capture on camera, the scratches are definitely visible in person even when you’re 1-2 feet away from the bezel.

I'd sell it only because I know myself and when I look down at it that's all I'd see. I had a datejust2 and I dinged the fluted bezel at the 4 position and I'll tell you when I looked at it my eyes went directly to it. Even though people couldn't see it I could and it bothered the crap out of me as well as the scratches on the oyster bracelet

OutofControl8 is offline   Reply With Quote