The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 August 2017, 08:03 AM   #31
Porter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Is that 35 mm ??

Im still searching for you ??!! Have you thought about a green one ??
Don't search Mark, thanks. Tomorrow I'll send you some pics of my 16622 and you will regret flipped yours! Hahaha, the platinum dial is PERFECT.

"If you're not having fun you're doing something wrong". Groucho Marx.
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2017, 08:35 AM   #32
Wildy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Is that 35 mm ??

Im still searching for you ??!! Have you thought about a green one ??

No 40mm, I have a 8.25 wrist !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 August 2017, 12:24 PM   #33
pfg1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622 YM Blue
I have worn my YM Blue every day since DEC2012. The scratches on your bezel will be removed when serviced. Do not flip it!
2019 DEEPSEA Giveaway
2018 Rolex Red SD43 Giveaway
2018 Bond Submariner Giveaway
2020 Rolex + Tudor GMT Giveaway
2020 Rolex Submariner Giveaway
pfg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 12:41 PM   #34
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
No 40mm, I have a 8.25 wrist !

Panerai time

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 02:08 AM   #35
SpyShops718
Banned

Watch: Rolex YM2 Gold '08
Keep it and don't stress the scratches, you will give yourself a nervous breakdown. It is one of the most universal Rolexes out there.
SpyShops718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 04:06 AM   #36
spandrels
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 16610
I've had my midsize YM for a week. Scratches and dings are inevitable. I'm so happy to own this beauty, and I would rather see the flaws, than not see it at all!
spandrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 12:32 PM   #37
Rolexlover123
"TRF" Member

Can you explain what you mean by "look dirty/uneven?
Is this the way the platinum bezel will look when it ages?
The picture of this watch appears new and it just looks slightly scratched, what is causing the concern for the dirty look? I'm interested in this watch and want to be informed on all the pros and cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDusty View Post
I really want this watch, but the bezel scratching and that it can look dirty/uneven over time puts me off. That, and a concern it might be too blingy
Rolexlover123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 11:43 PM   #38
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreyc87 View Post
In reality, those aren't true scratches...with pt, the metal isn't removed but merely pushed over so it's just unbrushed pt underneath.
You guys crack me up. Platinum doesn't "self heal" or any of that other Internet lore. It's a metal, just like stainless steel or gold. They also experience having the metal "pushed around" when scratched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexlover123 View Post
Can you explain what you mean by "look dirty/uneven?
I think he's referring to the sandlbasted portion of the bezel. As it gets worn, scratched, polished, etc. from use, that patina becomes uneven and so it looks dirty. IMHO.

I'm going to suggest that it sounds like the OP will never be happy with this watch, for all of the reasons he stated. Sell it.

I had a 16622 YM and I sold it within a year for many of the same reasons.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 01:03 AM   #39
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

In my experience the YM bezel has been fine for everyday use, it picks up a few marks but I have yet to find a watch, any watch, that doesn't if worn. I have not found it to be less "durable" than a smooth DJ bezel (although a bigger "target"), an aluminum Sub bezel and significantly better than the old Daytona bezel.

Personally, the YM (I have the blue dial) is one of my favorites and, IMO, underrated.

But, it's not about what I, or the forum in general thinks, if this ruins the experience of ownership, enjoyment and actually wearing the watch..... perhaps you should consider something else - and ceramic.

Good luck and beautiful watch.
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 01:46 AM   #40
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

I use mine every day but have a 16610 in rotation. I wear them for weeks at a time!

Enjoy the watch!

No matter which Rolex you get they will ALL get banged up. Ceramic will also look bad in 5 years.
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 02:32 AM   #41
Soultime
"TRF" Member

When I chopped my 16610 platinum YM in after 6 years it had a lot of scratches on the bezel.
Changed to a BLNR and after 5 years it looks in far better condition cause the bezel is unmarked.

That said, like the OP I love the rhodium YM.

But I don't think he is the sort of person who is going to be able to live with the accumulation of scratches between services.

I suggest getting a daily beater for reasonable cost (Tudor BB58 or similar) and keep the yachty for going out.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 04:11 AM   #42
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Put me in the wear and enjoy category. I LOVE this watch, scratches and all!
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 01:22 PM   #43
Wrist King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Sub, 16710 P
Can somebody post some pics of a YM 116622 with lots of dings and scratches from normal manly use ? Including the lovely polished curved sides if possible.

My next is a YM Blue, will likely sell 16710 Pepsi to pay for it as it's too small and flimsy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Wrist King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 12:18 AM   #44
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Have always loved the YM as it is unique to the Rolex like. Sporty yet elegant. Wears well in all settings!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E1DF55BD-0CE6-4DDC-8E93-BC7ADA442B4C.jpeg (128.1 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpeg F86F8C85-3747-4E7C-B229-21115534C9F2.jpeg (121.8 KB, 396 views)
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 03:58 AM   #45
Spikedlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to narrow
I've always loved this watch but this is the exact reason I never got it. The raised numerals on the bezel make it impossible to get a smooth finish even if I were to attempt to polish out scratches. Best to stick with ceramic!
Spikedlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 04:24 AM   #46
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrist King View Post
Can somebody post some pics of a YM 116622 with lots of dings and scratches from normal manly use ?
Been looking at blue YM myself and came across this thread.

This one looks to have signs of use and appears "unpolished". I think perhaps the lighting does it no favours and it may look better in the flesh. (I have no links to seller or watch)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...1&share_type=t

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 16 May 2019, 04:49 AM   #47
Totoro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PloProf
My 17 year old YM. Serviced last year, once in it's lifetime.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 06:03 AM   #48
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Get 1 or 2 more watches and rotate them. Scratches will be distributed between all, but on a less frequent basis. All of my watches have scratches.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 07:44 AM   #49
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
The 116622 is an 11 grand piece BNIB (grey dealer). I certainly wear mine with care, as I do for all my luxury watches. I haven't made a single visible scratch on the bezel, to the naked eyes at least.

As for my beaters, I've badly scratched the titanium case of a Citizen. I've also chipped the ceramic bezel of a Kentex diver. That's the price to pay for wearing them carelessly, which I'm totally OK with in beaters, builds character. A luxury piece, no way.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 08:55 AM   #50
louisshields
"TRF" Member

I would flip the YM for a ceramic bezel watch. Reason simply because you only take off your watch when engaging in physical activities and I think that's your comfort zone.
louisshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 10:20 AM   #51
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Absolutely stunning watch but the bezel is exactly why I decided against it. Seems to be a scratch / scuff magnet, very expensive to replace if needed, and also appears to tarnish (or discolor) over time.

You would likely be much happier with a ceramic bezel. They are pretty much bulletproof. I have hit mine quite hard many times and never a mark.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 11:43 AM   #52
Wrist King
"TRF" Member

It's a beautiful watch. Man up and accept some scratches.

Sent from my SM-G9730 using Tapatalk
Old 16 May 2019, 12:24 PM   #53
Wrist King
"TRF" Member

This looks absolutely terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
Been looking at blue YM myself and came across this thread.

This one looks to have signs of use and appears "unpolished". I think perhaps the lighting does it no favours and it may look better in the flesh. (I have no links to seller or watch)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...1&share_type=t

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G9730 using Tapatalk
Old 17 May 2019, 12:11 AM   #54
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
I have the watch with the blue sunburst dial, and I think this is a special, sightly underrated watch in the lineup. I think the contrast of the sunburst dial with the platinum bezel is stunning - though I will admit that I find myself being much more careful with this watch than say my sub or explorer.

From everything I've read, the bezel can be refinished to look new (and from the posts above, thank you for sharing). If I were you, I'd either just wear it and enjoy it or add another piece, and make this more of a special occasion watch.

Love that rhodium dial, too
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 12:23 AM   #55
RollieWrist
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II LN
I say keep it. All watches will show wear.

Furthermore, the watches you suggested replacing your YM are in high demand, so unless you are willing to pay a premium you most likely will not be lucky enough to walk into an AD and get the BLNR at retail.

RollieWrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 01:11 AM   #56
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
That's why I sold mine
Ditto.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 02:43 AM   #57
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelfoley View Post
I purchased my first Rolex in March of this year from a NYC AD: A 116622 Yacht Master Dark Rhodium dial. I was extremely excited about this watch; I have been in love with it ever since it came out in Basel 2016.

Maybe I was naive, but I wanted a watch I could wear almost every day without thinking much about it. The only time I want to remove my watch is when doing physical activity for a long period, like hiking, rock climbing, or helping a friend move.

However, my problem is that the Yacht Master platinum bezel scratches during normal wear if it comes into accidental contact with a solid surface. I don’t want to take off my watch if I’m lifting up something or loading a heavy box into the car. But now I feel like I have to, or the platinum could scratch. I have scratched the bezel loading things into the car and by hitting a wall when walking.

I have no issue with the bracelet scratching — I was fully aware this would happen with the PCLs. I’m annoyed about the BEZEL having 4 visible scratches after just 3 months of ownership. What will it look like in 1 year? In 3 years? I know that that Rolex can fix this at servicing, but that’s only every 5 years. Sure, the YM is not as much a tool watch as a Sub or Explorer, but frankly I don’t want to treat it delicately and have to think about all day whether the activity I’m doing could scratch the bezel.

Here’s my dilemma: Should I flip the YM for a ceramic bezel watch that will be much more scratch resistant on a daily wear basis, like a subC or BLNR? Or should I keep the YM and wear only on special occasions, and buy another watch to wear daily? I love the look of the YM and enjoy wearing it daily, but the thought of babying my Rolex annoys me to no end.

Thanks all! I’ve attached some pics to the post. Although it’s difficult to capture on camera, the scratches are definitely visible in person even when you’re 1-2 feet away from the bezel.
Your watch is stunning, just enjoy it scratches and all. Every service have Rolex refinish the bezel and it will look new.

My first Daytona had a scratch on the crystal from my first week of wearing it. I just learned to love it, and not sweat the small stuff.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2019, 07:50 AM   #58
Cowie1526
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex submariner
Why does the bezel seem to have dark and light patches when they get a bit older? Is it dirt that can be easily brushed away or is it a job for the professionals?
Cowie1526 is offline   Reply With Quote