The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11 August 2017, 10:21 PM   #1
rronald_25
"TRF" Member

How to pass the custom (indonesian) with Rolex?

Hi All,
Sorry if the title seems like im trying to smuggle rolex, but I dont know the right title to ask.

Well, Im Indonesian, living in Barcelona Spain, and my uncle asks me to buy Rolex either Daytona or GMT Master II.

The question is; since this is not a cheap watch, and my uncle wants him to be the first to wear the watch (so it has to be new new). Do you think it will be ok to put the watch in the box in my carry on luggage, and not to wear it? And do I have to declare it?

Thanks
Old 11 August 2017, 10:27 PM   #2
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
What a strange question to ask on a global watch forum. You know what the right thing to do is. It's your choice. Nobody here is going to advise you to break the law.
Old 11 August 2017, 10:32 PM   #3
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
If it was in a display case then he is not the first to wear it.

And yes, you would need to declare it. Hiding it would likely not be a good idea.

https://en.portal.santandertrade.com...hoix=memoriser

But you are not trying to violate that country's law now are you?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 11 August 2017, 10:37 PM   #4
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rronald_25 View Post
Hi All,
Sorry if the title seems like im trying to smuggle rolex, but I dont know the right title to ask.

Well, Im Indonesian, living in Barcelona Spain, and my uncle asks me to buy Rolex either Daytona or GMT Master II.

The question is; since this is not a cheap watch, and my uncle wants him to be the first to wear the watch (so it has to be new new). Do you think it will be ok to put the watch in the box in my carry on luggage, and not to wear it? And do I have to declare it?

Thanks
Sounds exactly like you're trying to smuggle it in.
Old 11 August 2017, 10:38 PM   #5
rronald_25
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetracer View Post
What a strange question to ask on a global watch forum. You know what the right thing to do is. It's your choice. Nobody here is going to advise you to break the law.

Its not about advising to breaking the law.
The problem with indonesian custom is all depending on the custom officers.
Here I give you some example: My mother went to Indonesia bringing 10 boxes of chocolate from NL, and on paper custom law is ok with that, but yet the custom officer say if you want to take them all, you must leave some to them.

With watches, as long as its a gift, for personal use, and not re-sale, the law says its ok, but again Indonesian custom officers will try to extort money from anyone.

So, im asking what people do with that, especially the one been to Indonesia
Old 11 August 2017, 10:50 PM   #6
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Offer your uncle the option, you can wear it in and he saves some money, or he pops it's cherry and pays duties ....
Old 11 August 2017, 10:50 PM   #7
Bryant Park
Banned

Definition of wearing it...

Would your uncle view hiding it in a body cavity "wearing". If so I would probably declare if and avoid them searching the aforementioned.
Old 11 August 2017, 10:56 PM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Sounds exactly like you're trying to smuggle it in.
yep. Thats what you are doing.

If he wants a never worn watch he should buy one in Indonesia. Otherwise buy it and wear it and then give it to him later after its used. Technically you still have to declare it too, but if its worn and not in original packaging it will raise less questions.

If you wear it yourself as your watch and you are planning on taking it back with you to spain when visiting Indonesia, you should not have to declare it. If you happen to forget it at your uncle's house on your way back to spain ... those things happen sometimes

I live in the UK but am american. When i visit the US i don't declare my watches i bring with me because I'm just visiting and they leave with me. When i move back permanently i think I'm supposed to declare them as i am importing them at that point. They won't be new watches however.
Old 11 August 2017, 10:59 PM   #9
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Lol, here we go again the the "uncle" stories....
Old 11 August 2017, 11:02 PM   #10
rronald_25
"TRF" Member

Wow, talking about saint here.
Again, Im sorry, Im not asking how to break the law here, but I genuinely asking how you pass the custom with your fancy watch as Im only wearing G-shock.
ok, forget about the box and brand new, I think he wont mind if i send the box by post and wear the watch.
Now Im asking if I wear the watch, should I declare it or not?
All of you who are wearing expensive watches, do you have to declare the watch you are wearing everytime you go abroad?
Old 11 August 2017, 11:04 PM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All of you who are wearing expensive watches, do you have to declare the watch you are wearing everytime you go abroad?
post 6

There is a difference between importing a watch and bringing your personal watch(s) to another country when visiting that leave the country with you when you leave.
Old 11 August 2017, 11:09 PM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Wow, talking about saint here.
Again, Im sorry, Im not asking how to break the law here, but I genuinely asking how you pass the custom with your fancy watch as Im only wearing G-shock.
ok, forget about the box and brand new, I think he wont mind if i send the box by post and wear the watch.
Yes you are asking how to break the law.

If you wear the watch and it was bought outside the country since you were last there then when you re-enter it must be declared.

No, you do not need to do so each time you travel.

Not sure how this is not clear unless a person intentionally wants to violate a country's legal right to impose tariffs on imports.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 11 August 2017, 11:10 PM   #13
Bryant Park
Banned

Different question/answer but may help. I have travelled extensively with high end watches on my wrist bought previously. Not once have I had customs inquire as to the origin of my watch. I can't qualify why that is the case (frequency of travel on passport, body language, wear on the watch, etc...).

I have never purchased abroad or travelled with box papers so I am not comfortable giving you advise under the scenario you described.

Good luck but what you are asking seems to be more of a risk reward question versus a right wrong.
Old 11 August 2017, 11:16 PM   #14
rronald_25
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
post 6

There is a difference between importing a watch and bringing a watch to another country when visiting that leaves the country with you when you leave.
I agree, but the custom officers will not know that, as they will not ask if you are going to bring back the watch with you.

Again, sorry, im not asking for tips for breaking the law. This is just genuine question.
Old 11 August 2017, 11:20 PM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree, but the custom officers will not know that, as they will not ask if you are going to bring back the watch with you.

Again, sorry, im not asking for tips for breaking the law. This is just genuine question.
well if its used (not stickered) and you are not carrying the box and paper with you and you are genuinely just wearing your personal possessions while on a trip there isn't much they can do since you are not importing it. I don't know all the nuances of Indonesian law however, just generally speaking.

I got asked by Customs at heathrow about a watch i was wearing once. I said i bought it in the UK and paid VAT on it, and noted it was several years old. They said fine. Didn't ask me to prove anything, but i could have if they pressed me. If i had bought in the US i would have had an issue if they asked for proof i pad VAT. They might have asked more questions but after glancing at it they could see it was a bit scratched up so obviously not brand new.
Old 11 August 2017, 11:24 PM   #16
Bryant Park
Banned

Last try...

Quote:

You would be bringing the watch into the country by deception. If your question is could I get away with it, the answer is probably. If the question is are you doing something illegal, the answer is yes. Most people would strongly recommend against an illegal course of action. The decision is yours but like all things illegal it's both a moral and risk reward calibration that only you can make.

Personally I would suggest declare and move on.
Old 11 August 2017, 11:24 PM   #17
rronald_25
"TRF" Member

Ok, I guess I asked the wrong question here, even though I really dont have the intention to ask for tips of breaking the law.

But Imagine, you went abroad and see this particular country has the watch / toys, whatever (you name it) & you want to buy it for yourself, your spouse or children, when you go back to your home country will you declare it or because of personal use you will just decided to just go undeclared.
Old 11 August 2017, 11:28 PM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok, I guess I asked the wrong question here, even though I really dont have the intention to ask for tips of breaking the law.

But Imagine, you went abroad and see this particular country has the watch / toys, whatever (you name it) & you want to buy it for yourself, your spouse or children, when you go back to your home country will you declare it or because of personal use you will just decided to just go undeclared.
Technically there is no such thing as "duty free" if you buy something and get the VAT refunded its only to avoid double taxation as you are supposed to declare it and pay duty to the country its going to. If you were taxed twice people would never buy anything valuable on Holiday.

Call indonesian customs. The import duty may not even be that big.

You can get the VAT legally refunded when leaving spain.

Personal use is irrelevant. If you are importing it you have to declare it if it was not bought in that country as that country didn't tax it.
Old 11 August 2017, 11:35 PM   #19
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Quote:

You did ask the wrong question. Essentially asking how to avoid skipping on the duty owed, and the correct procedure in declaring purchased goods upon return to your country of residence...

If you chose to not declare, that onus is on you, and potentially opens you up fines, and or loss of the item. You play the risk, but this forum isn't here to offer suggestions on how to avoid the law. Regardless of your concern for a backhand from a corrupt official....
Closed.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
Closed Thread