The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 August 2017, 04:17 AM   #1
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Explorer Vs North Flag - Todays Tool Watch?

Ok, so we've seen this before, but I wanted fresh opinions.

Is the 214270 too blingy/dressy to be a true tool watch? For somebody who never wears suits for work and is in jeans and T shirts 99% of the time, is the North Flag a better bet?

I understand the argument of money being no object, get the Rolex Explorer and be done with it.

BUT...

As a tool watch for every day use that can take a beating... Is the North Flag a better buy for someone who never needs the "dress-up" factor of the 214270?

For casual wear, which would YOU prefer as modern day explorer tool watch?

Thanks
ExpSubGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 05:38 AM   #2
Magwitch
Banned

I have a North Flag and like it a lot. In house movement, very accurate and comfortable. Some don't like the angular styling, but I do. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but I prefer the NF to the Explorer.

That said, I DO have a decent stable of Rolexes.

In the end, you need to get what turns YOU on.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 05:44 AM   #3
jguerra04
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day/GMT/Sub/43/SKY
No contest, Explorer.
jguerra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 06:00 AM   #4
MGWT
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Both
MGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 06:00 AM   #5
rph08
"TRF" Member

I'm sure the North Flag is plenty tough enough and can take a beating, but it's just not for me. I just don't care for the black and yellow color scheme. So, I'd choose the Explorer if picking between these two options. However, I would look at the 114270 for a more "tool watch" look and feel.

Canyonero! Canyonero!
rph08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 06:04 AM   #6
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rph08 View Post
I'm sure the North Flag is plenty tough enough and can take a beating, but it's just not for me. I just don't care for the black and yellow color scheme. So, I'd choose the Explorer if picking between these two options. However, I would look at the 114270 for a more "tool watch" look and feel.
But the 114270 is, contrary to what many believe, just as "dressy" as the 214270. I don't see the 36mm version as less dressy.

Now, the 1016... THAT'S more tool watch... But for 12-15K, that's too much for a field watch.
Old 12 August 2017, 06:06 AM   #7
Friar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpSubGMT View Post

Is the 214270 too blingy/dressy to be a true tool watch? For somebody who never wears suits for work and is in jeans and T shirts 99% of the time, is the North Flag a better bet?

I understand the argument of money being no object, get the Rolex Explorer and be done with it.

BUT...

As a tool watch for every day use that can take a beating... Is the North Flag a better buy for someone who never needs the "dress-up" factor of the 214270?

Thanks
I have both and love both. Either would work for you--the 214270 is probably more adaptable to dressing up if that ever happens. Mine has the white gold 3-6-9 numerals, keeps time to 1-2 s/d. It is incredibly comfortable on the wrist. My only issue with it is that in some light conditions the white gold hands "gray out" against the black dial face. The Easylink extension is great when your wrist swells during the day or the summer.

The NF, on the other hand, has superb readability with the white hands standing out against the black dial face. I like the power reserve and having a date complication. It is taller (thicker) than the Explorer and about 25g heavier when both are on their bracelets. The NF bracelet is great but not as good as the Explorer. I find the bracelet edges to be a bit sharp. The new movement has very little positional variation (delta) 2s/d versus 7s/d for the Explorer.

Both have strap limitations. There is very little clearance between the spring bar and the sharp case back on the Explorer so most leather straps with get scraped. The NF has a unique lug arrangement so you have to be satisfied with the OEM leather strap---but it's very nice--if you wish to change from the ss bracelet.

When I've taken just one watch on a road trip for a week or more, it's been the NF. For an every day tool watch which can take a beating, I'd choose the North Flag.

Just one guy's two cents worth....
Friar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 06:07 AM   #8
PaulChronometer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Horage Array
I don't see the North Flag as a tool watch. Not sure how I see it though − in any case a very modern and industrial style watch.

The Explorer has the history/heritage of a tool watch, but it would be stretch to view it as a proper tool watch I guess. Also, it is too much "under the radar" to call it blingy/dressy. It works very well with casual wear.

Now the new Omega Railmaster (not the limited edition) is a bit similar in style, but even less blingy and dressy..
PaulChronometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 07:12 AM   #9
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar View Post
I have both and love both. Either would work for you--the 214270 is probably more adaptable to dressing up if that ever happens. Mine has the white gold 3-6-9 numerals, keeps time to 1-2 s/d. It is incredibly comfortable on the wrist. My only issue with it is that in some light conditions the white gold hands "gray out" against the black dial face. The Easylink extension is great when your wrist swells during the day or the summer.

The NF, on the other hand, has superb readability with the white hands standing out against the black dial face. I like the power reserve and having a date complication. It is taller (thicker) than the Explorer and about 25g heavier when both are on their bracelets. The NF bracelet is great but not as good as the Explorer. I find the bracelet edges to be a bit sharp. The new movement has very little positional variation (delta) 2s/d versus 7s/d for the Explorer.

Both have strap limitations. There is very little clearance between the spring bar and the sharp case back on the Explorer so most leather straps with get scraped. The NF has a unique lug arrangement so you have to be satisfied with the OEM leather strap---but it's very nice--if you wish to change from the ss bracelet.

When I've taken just one watch on a road trip for a week or more, it's been the NF. For an every day tool watch which can take a beating, I'd choose the North Flag.

Just one guy's two cents worth....

Photos, please
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 07:13 AM   #10
Fletcher UK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Personally I think the Ranger is a better comparison. Ps why have you got a pic of oldexpatbeast in your avatar?
Fletcher UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 07:15 AM   #11
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher UK View Post
Personally I think the Ranger is a better comparison. Ps why have you got a pic of oldexpatbeast in your avatar?
Ranger's too big. If it were 38mm It'd be perfect.

And that's NOT a pic of OldExpatBeast.
Old 12 August 2017, 07:21 AM   #12
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
In what world is explorer 1 dressy or blingy?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 07:24 AM   #13
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnpina View Post

The polished bezel, The White Gold 3 6 9 (MK 1 version), the reflection of light off of the sapphire crystal...

I don't think Explorers are as blingy as say, ceramic GMT's, but an Explorer has more "shine" than the North Flag.
Old 12 August 2017, 07:26 AM   #14
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnpina View Post

Oh - and I'm not the only one who's called the Explorer capable of being dressy or blingy - it's commonly referred to on this forum as being able to dress up or down - the NF is not known to be dressed up the same way.

Thanks for playing!
Old 12 August 2017, 07:42 AM   #15
Friar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
photos, please
IMG_1393.jpg
Friar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 07:46 AM   #16
doramas
Banned

Quote:
4 adventurers. They are beautiful. Thanks

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 07:47 AM   #17
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Fantastic! Thank You!
Old 12 August 2017, 08:17 AM   #18
MGWT
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Damn.... That might be the perfect foursome.... Thinking...
MGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 08:59 AM   #19
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher UK View Post
Too funny!
Old 12 August 2017, 11:20 AM   #20
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHadEnuf View Post
Too funny!
It's very funny indeed! There's been more vanishing around here than N Korea in a year - As the great John Huston told Jake Gittes in Chinatown,

"You may think you know what you're dealing with, but, believe me, you don't."

Hahaha - Thanks for all the responses, everyone.
Old 12 August 2017, 12:28 PM   #21
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
North Flag fan here. Recently sold mine, but probably will get into another one in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 12:38 PM   #22
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Everyone 's entitled to their opinion, but the Explorer is 'blingy' ?? Not to me. Not even very dressy, although you can wear it under many circumstances. But not bling!
Old 12 August 2017, 12:49 PM   #23
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Sub is a better tool watch imo. Pelagos is the ultimate tool watch made by rolex or tudor.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 12:54 PM   #24
scarabei
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
North Flag is an ugly watch that sounds like the name of Peter North's "North Pole" sub-brand. Ugly watch. Lugs get scratched by the bracelet just by laying there. Bezel has an edge to it that loves collecting nicks.

Especially if money is a concern, I'd stay away. Good luck with the resale.

My boy got it for his woman... WTF!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
scarabei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2017, 10:32 PM   #25
ExpSubGMT
Banned

[QUOTE=soho;7825390]North Flag fan here. Recently sold mine, but probably will get into another one in the future.

Does look great on the wrist. Thanks for posting
Old 12 August 2017, 10:35 PM   #26
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Everyone 's entitled to their opinion, but the Explorer is 'blingy' ?? Not to me. Not even very dressy, although you can wear it under many circumstances. But not bling!
I hear ya Jack. The Explorer is NOT a bling watch in of itself. But compared to a NF or a Tudor Ranger - or a 1016 Explorer?

The 214270 is the one with the most "bling" out of all of them.

As you said - Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Thanks for playing.
Old 13 August 2017, 01:38 AM   #27
50hz
"TRF" Member

These seem different enough aesthetically that a preferred one should be pretty apparent. I'm sure most would say either one can be a capable daily wearer but if you want the Explorer I'd say go for it.

My personal preference would be to find a 1016, which to me is one of the most perfectly balanced and aesthetically pleasing watches Rolex has ever produced.
50hz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 01:44 AM   #28
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpSubGMT View Post

BUT...

Thanks

I haven't read prior comments so sorry if this is redundant... The explorer is very under understated. imo the Explorer is least blingy of the entire lineup. Therefore, seems like your asking if Rolex is too blingy. The Explorer is def not.

Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 01:52 AM   #29
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brny11 View Post
I haven't read prior comments so sorry if this is redundant... The explorer is very under understated. imo the Explorer is least blingy of the entire lineup. Therefore, seems like your asking if Rolex is too blingy. The Explorer is def not.

I would agree that The Explorers are the least blingy in Rolex lineup. The Explorer II even less blingy.

But I hear ya - Again, compared to Tudor North Flag, The Explorer is "flashier"

Thanks for your comments
Old 13 August 2017, 01:53 AM   #30
ExpSubGMT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50hz View Post
These seem different enough aesthetically that a preferred one should be pretty apparent. I'm sure most would say either one can be a capable daily wearer but if you want the Explorer I'd say go for it.

My personal preference would be to find a 1016, which to me is one of the most perfectly balanced and aesthetically pleasing watches Rolex has ever produced.
Would LOVE a 1016 - but too expensive for me. For half the price a 214270 can be had.

Thanks