The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 August 2017, 09:14 AM   #61
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Congrats on a super pair.
Old 16 August 2017, 09:15 AM   #62
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
I hate to say it hombre but the SkyD looks way too big.
No, the lugs fall just within his wrists even in the pics so irl they will do even more so.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 09:36 AM   #63
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Great story, congratulations!
Old 16 August 2017, 09:38 AM   #64
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Very nice OP, but guess you decided to let it go.
Best of luck with the sale.
Heh yep...as an update unfortunately my father decided to stick with his GMT2C which he truly adores, and while I think I can pull off the SkyDweller (thanks to everyone who stuck up for me ), it just isn't "me" if that makes sense. It really is a substantial watch with presence while I try to be a bit more understated, and thus it's in the classifieds now.

But I hope this thread still helps others choosing dials or for whomever is on the fence on the SS SkyD, I wasn't a fan but in person it really is a gorgeous piece!
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 09:51 AM   #65
hbryant130
"TRF" Member

Outstanding pics comparing the two watches! Both look great.
hbryant130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 02:28 PM   #66
jguerra04
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day/GMT/Sub/43/SKY
And now it's for sale at huge premium over RRP. Seriously, this is what makes me wonder about this hobby of ours. Wouldn't it have been great to let someone who actually really wanted the watch get it from the AD without paying a mark up? And for what it's worth, I just purchased the blue dial skydweller yesterday and will not be posting a for sale listing three days after my incoming thread. #LAME
jguerra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 02:32 PM   #67
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
I hate to say it hombre but the SkyD looks way too big.
Frankly this crap gets old. Fashion police at every turn. It's a watch not a Tuxedo.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 03:00 PM   #68
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguerra04 View Post
And now it's for sale at huge premium over RRP. Seriously, this is what makes me wonder about this hobby of ours. Wouldn't it have been great to let someone who actually really wanted the watch get it from the AD without paying a mark up? And for what it's worth, I just purchased the blue dial skydweller yesterday and will not be posting a for sale listing three days after my incoming thread. #LAME
Wow! I seen that. I figured the OP is gonna get 'flamed' now after such a long incoming thread and all the 'congrats'.
Old 16 August 2017, 03:20 PM   #69
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
If I had the choice between that SkyD and Daytona, I'd be all over the SkyD. It's stunning!

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 12:33 AM   #70
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Nice, congrats!
Old 17 August 2017, 12:54 AM   #71
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Frankly this crap gets old. Fashion police at every turn. It's a watch not a Tuxedo.

Lol @ fashion police!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jimbogigolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2017, 03:05 PM   #72
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Strange thread; it starts with the OP saying he won't keep the watch and might give it to his father. People are later surprised when he doesn't keep the watch and tries to sell it at a profit. What is strange is the whole conversion to loving scenario it he creates. Publicity for his sale?

Old 17 August 2017, 03:38 PM   #73
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Strange thread; it starts with the OP saying he won't keep the watch and might give it to his father. People are later surprised when he doesn't keep the watch and tries to sell it at a profit. What is strange is the whole conversion to loving scenario it he creates. Publicity for his sale?
Could be. OP is not exactly 'giving it away' at well above MSRP.
Old 17 August 2017, 06:11 PM   #74
regnant
"TRF" Member

Congratulations ��
Thanks for sharing these pictures
Sky Dweller is a great treat
I appreciate you put Daytona and Sky Dweller side by side as well
Happy Days
Old 17 August 2017, 11:13 PM   #75
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:

I have to agree with you on this nonsense...
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 01:40 AM   #76
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I see nothing wrong. OP owns the watch, he's free to do as he pleases. Will you guys be flaming David and Thanh next lol

On top of that he had to pay a premium on his 116500 so this is a fair game chance to recoup that premium
Old 18 August 2017, 01:53 AM   #77
uzona
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41s blk and whit
Looks like Rolex is going to the new and improved, sunburst black on most, if not all new models.
Exact sentiments when I saw the new black on the DJ41. Striking look and is a tough choice to make vs. rhodium imo.
uzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 02:53 AM   #78
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
Those batons on the dial make all the difference. You are a fortunate man.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 02:58 AM   #79
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I see nothing wrong. OP owns the watch, he's free to do as he pleases. Will you guys be flaming David and Thanh next lol

On top of that he had to pay a premium on his 116500 so this is a fair game chance to recoup that premium
Hmm, I'll give this OP the benefit of the doubt, but don't want to encourage these Pump and Dump threads here. "Adverts" should only be in the Classifieds.
Old 18 August 2017, 03:35 AM   #80
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Wowsers.

No judgement from me as I'm a squirrel brain and could see myself flipping nearly anything (except my wife and my DJ41). But an interesting turn.

I didn't see this coming.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 03:42 AM   #81
jguerra04
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day/GMT/Sub/43/SKY
Very similar to the guy who posted a DaytonaC right when they were coming out and pumped it up about how great and excited he was. A few days later it was sale at an outrageous price. For what its worth, he got flamed/banned and is no longer around.
jguerra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 03:54 AM   #82
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Sorry all for being MIA - been traveling for work and its been hellish, finally have some coffee and can sit down with my laptop

I apologize if people are feeling like this is a publicity stunt or pump and dump scheme, that was not my intent nor anything dubious, malicious, vain, etc. This feels like a mea culpa but because I'm a big fan of this community let me share my thoughts:

My only intent on posting this thread was two fold: 1) share to others who aren't fans of the SS SkyDweller to see it in person first as an opportunity to have your mind potentially changed (as someone who vehemently claimed they didn't like the watch based on pictures online and seeing the PM models in person) and 2) share that the black dial is not a flat black but a more radiant black that can change with lighting since most of the love online was going towards the blue dial for anyone interested. Nothing more nothing less sincerely. In retrospect I likely could have saved myself this headache and just kept those sentiments to myself or just shared exactly that end of story. Maybe I should have removed the "incoming" part of the thread but maybe that would have also been misleading as the same pictures would have everyone likely writing the same comments.

I purchased the watch with 5 minutes before store close (flight next morning) as an intended gift for my father which I'd hope I'd been consistent on, and surprisingly he really preferred to stick with his GMT2C instead of the SkyD. I didn't want to force a $15.5k watch on him, and the watch I hope I had made clear had just too much presence for me personally even though I feel like if I wanted to wear it I easily could. So what are my options? Forc myself to wear it? Don't really want to let a beautiful watch like this sit in the safe, so I figured I'd sell it.

Knowing that I just paid a substantial markup on my SS Daytona a month earlier (which was not "#LAME" but I was actually happy doing so as it saved me the headache and despair of being shown the door, and chuckled at by ADs who wouldn't even put me on their lists, and it was what supply and demand was dictating for a watch I really wanted), why not try and recoup *some* (not even all) of the premium for someone else who might want the watch and still make sure it's the lowest priced SkyDweller on the market, not by $5 but by a fair margin based on my research when I listed it.

I think it's easy for people (including myself) to say they'd do something hypothetically when in reality it might be different, but at the end of the day you all are entitled to your opinions rightfully so, so this is my post on the matter which you can decide is satisfactory for you or not. I apologize again for anything that appeared suspicious as it really was not my intent but to just share two thoughts on the watch and show it as a gift for someone who at the end of the day wasn't comfortable with it.

Thanks for listening and have a good day al
Old 18 August 2017, 04:09 AM   #83
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
I purchased the watch with 5 minutes before store close (flight next morning) as an intended gift for my father which I'd hope I'd been consistent on, and surprisingly he really preferred to stick with his GMT2C instead of the SkyD. I didn't want to force a $15.5k watch on him, and the watch I hope I had made clear had just too much presence for me personally even though I feel like if I wanted to wear it I easily could. So what are my options? Forc myself to wear it? Don't really want to let a beautiful watch like this sit in the safe, so I figured I'd sell it.
So it's a trade with your dad; not exactly a gift then is it? At any rate it's your watch. I've wondered who'd trade theirs for a Daytona C; seems like financing the Daytona is your plan. Also, I was lucky enough to buy in a no tax state so mine was only list of $14.4; am I right in assuming that is where the $15.5 number came from?. Good luck with the sale.

Old 18 August 2017, 04:17 AM   #84
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So it's a trade with your dad; not exactly a gift then is it? At any rate it's your watch. I've wondered who'd trade theirs for a Daytona C; seems like financing the Daytona is your plan. Also, I was lucky enough to buy in a no tax state so mine was only list of $14.4. Good luck with the sale.
Heh nope, just a gift? In the name of transparency I'll even detail to you that he's a "one watch guy" as his GMT is his only watch, and therefore didn't want to upgrade to the SkyDweller surprisingly. Not sure the relevancy but no problem. Yep sales tax was 10% in my "second" home. Daytona was cash purchase but if I can help recoup some of the premium paid and still sell under the market I figured I would be ok with that instead of listing above $20-21k.

Watch is now pending sale and hope it goes to a good home.
Old 18 August 2017, 04:33 AM   #85
Dr.LJ
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Breitling
Nice story. Congratz!
Dr.LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2017, 06:44 AM   #86
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Hmm, I'll give this OP the benefit of the doubt, but don't want to encourage these Pump and Dump threads here. "Adverts" should only be in the Classifieds.

I generally agree but not sure this one needs to be pumped anyways

Also did he come back here and post "changed my mind it's for sale?" I thought someone else brought it up.
Old 18 August 2017, 08:44 AM   #87
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I generally agree but not sure this one needs to be pumped anyways

Also did he come back here and post "changed my mind it's for sale?" I thought someone else brought it up.
Agreed, I didn't think Sammy was planning this so I said I would give him the benefit of the doubt and he has come back with a fuller explanation, but just thought it would be better to state that this is not what this forum is for and other more cynical members have been banned for it.
Old 18 August 2017, 10:58 AM   #88
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Quote:
I thought pump and dump from the very first post. The "stickers are still on". It's "BNIB". Come on. Why does that need to be said? I agree... lame. Sorry.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote