The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 January 2020, 11:01 AM   #1
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Daytona 4130

I have been getting interested in the Daytona lately.

My question is not as interesting as waitlists, how to buy one, or if it is a good investment.

My question is regarding the movement, 4130. From my understanding it was introduced in 2000. Does anyone know, what improvements Rolex has made to the movement over the last 20 years?

I know that Rolex continuously makes improvements, I am just wondering if there's a place that lists what these improvements have been.

Any opinions on how the 4130 in-house movement compares to other movements across the watch industry in the same price range?

There is a lot of hype to the Daytona. Part of it is exclusivity and prestige. What I'm interested in is how much of the hype should be contributed to the manufacturer movement.

Thanks
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 12:01 PM   #2
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
The 4130 is one of the finest chronograph movements on the market. Chronorgraphs are inherently one of the most difficult movements to develop, hence Rolex only offering an in house chronograph movement starting with the 4130 in 2000.

Prior to the 4130, Rolex had the 4030 in the 16520. This was a heavily modified Zenith El Primero movement (~50% modified). Amongst the modifications of the 16520 included the removal of the date window, the inclusion of a Bregeut overcoil, microstella screws, and the reduction of the movement from 36,000 bph to 28,000 bph. This reduction in in frequency was said to increase the reliability of the movement and increase the period between servicing.

Some of the shortcomings of the 4030 movement included the fact that it was a non-hacking movement (you could never stop the seconds hand), it only has a 52-hour power reserve, and it used a lateral clutch (this resulted in the seconds hand jumping when stopped/started).

The 4130 made major improvements over the 4030 including a reduction of the number of parts, increasing ease of serviceability. Additionally, the power reserve was increased to 72 hours, a Parachrom Bleu hairspring was added (effectively paramagnetic), the movement was hackable, and an upgrade to a vertical clutch (no more jumping seconds hand).

The only change I'm aware of made to the 4130 was 5 years after its release, the Parachrom Bleu hairspring's oxide layer was increased by 50-100nm, increasing its stability and paramagnetism even more.

While the Daytona may be at the pinnacle of hype right now, its movement is first class all the way.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 01:04 PM   #3
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

There is some discussion towards the bottom of this Hodinkee article that discuss some refinement to the 4130. Although I’ve never tested the robustness of this movement, I’ve been very pleased with its accuracy, power reserve and smoothness of the chronograph function. The pushers are noticeably smoother than my Speedy and IWC with in-house 89000 series movement, and Rolex manages to do so in a relatively slim and comfortable case.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/inside-rolex
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 02:40 PM   #4
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

I don't use the chronograph too much but I love how smooth everything operates. I'm sure they can make it better in the future with maybe longer power reserve or something, but there's nothing lacking right now with the 4130 IMO. In fact, I think the movement was so ahead of its time that it's still top of the line. Other Rolex movements are finally hitting 72 hour power reserves from 48, and Daytona's had 72 for 20 years now. You won't be disappointed.
Old 11 January 2020, 03:24 PM   #5
Muxi
"TRF" Member

The movement is extremely robust even when worn during vigorous sports activities involving jolts that could normally damage it. Truly amazing.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 01:38 AM   #6
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for the great information.

Hard to believe it has been 20 years. I want to eventually buy one. But also want to be educated on what
I'll be wearing.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote