The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 October 2023, 01:19 AM   #1
lencap
"TRF" Member

Just Added a 41mm DJ White Dial - Right Choice?

Greetings!

My local AD kindly notified me that the 41mm white dial DJ (Oyster, non-fluted bezel) arrived, and I gladly picked it up yesterday.

The driving force behind the purchase was to compliment my originally purchased 1981 TT DJ (black dial/gold hands/Jubilee), and my Tudor BB58 black dial (both bracelet and Tudor fabric strap) with a white dial Rolex. I chose the 41mm dial (giving me 36/39/41 case options) for the simplicity and flexibility of the Oyster bracelet and stick markers - a look I like. I tried to buy the 39mm OP white dial new, but it was discontinued before I could buy one.

The new watch surprised me - it's a "maxi-case" design, with more bulk than my other watches, but it fits well on the wrist and the adjustable bracelet makes it disappear on my wrist. In just a few hours of wear I was no longer concerned about the size/weight.

On the other hand, I prefer smaller cases (my wrist is just a bit over 7" and relatively flat) and wonder if others with a preference for smaller watches found that the 41mm case worked well for them. It's only a day into the new watch, so I'm experimenting with the micro adjustment and feel, and so far I haven't had any buyer's remorse!

I owned a GS SBGA437, a very nice watch and beautiful dial with Spring Drive, and found that the case and bracelet were very difficult to fit properly. The 40mm case is smaller than the DJ, but the fit was far more uncomfortable. That watch seemed to feel heavier and noticeable on the wrist. Interestingly, the GS zaratsu polishing that makes GS cases/dials very attractive didn't seem any more impressive that the DJ I just bought. The standard bezel on the DJ, combined with the different textures on the Oyster bracelet and the nicely shaped and polished case actually outdid the GS case/polish, at least in my opinion.

I owned the original Black Bay 41, and sold it quickly - it was too heavy and thick. I love the Sky-Dweller's integration of annual calendar and multiple time zones, but it's way too big on my wrist (dealer had display models of most of the Rolex line). That's why I was unsure of the 41mm DJ/Oyster - a big case and concerned about weight/fit. I realize some have had problems with the 32XX movement in the newer watches, but I'm confident that Rolex will repair whatever problems may develop, and given the difficulty of getting any Rolex I'm thrilled to have a steel do it all white dial with date.

My goal is to "be done" with the "collection" - I now have a "daddy bear, mommy bear, and baby bear" case size combo (36/39/41), a 40+ year old "classic" TT that I've enjoyed since new, a no date "faux Submariner" in the Tudor, and a larger faced pure white elegant "do it all" Rolex with date that accommodates my aging senior citizens eyesight.

Comments?
lencap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 01:27 AM   #2
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Only comment I would have is I love the non-fluted bezel!!!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 01:29 AM   #3
emtee
"TRF" Member

I’ve not read your whole post but the white dial smooth bezel oyster is a clean looking watch with a sporty look. Ultimately it’s what you think that matters of course!
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 01:39 AM   #4
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
You did good IMO. If you like it, that’s what matters! Post some pics when you can.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 02:27 AM   #5
WatchTimes

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Pics?? Where are the pics???

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 02:35 AM   #6
Kenny G
"TRF" Member

I read your entire post and although the DJ41 is a great watch, it will feel a lot bulkier than a 36mm…especially if you’re used to (and prefer) smaller cases.

With that said, as long as you’re ok with the reduced comfort level of a larger case size, it should look just fine on a 7ish wrist.

Pics might help but it really comes down to your personal preference.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 02:44 AM   #7
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

I went from a 36mm black dial Datejust to a 41mm white dial Datejust. At first, the 41mm looked huge to my eye, with a lot of metal. But that was only because I was used to my 36mm. Now it looks normal, and at times it even looks small when I glance down at my wrist.

7” wrist

The 36mm was a classic look, but I stopped wearing it much, so it was sold.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 02:49 AM   #8
lencap
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I tried to post a picture but it links to the url on my computer desktop instead of uploading the image. What am I doing wrong?
Old 22 October 2023, 02:52 AM   #9
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

I don't ever want a DJ but I really like that DJ! Congrats!
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 03:27 AM   #10
63SWCGUY
"TRF" Member

Very nice choice. I love that watch.
63SWCGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 03:37 AM   #11
tutu2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
My husband prefers the non-fluted bezel. This is a clean , no-fuss, yet very classic look. I love it! I just added a DJ for myself yesterday! I love the varying options with the DJ.
Congratulations! Wear it in the best of health and enjoy !
tutu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 07:33 AM   #12
noshame
"TRF" Member

Your reference is a very clean, sharp, and sporty DJ. Congrats!
Old 22 October 2023, 08:40 AM   #13
lencap
"TRF" Member

Thanks again for the comments. I’ve been wearing my new DJ all day, and I’m very surprised how comfortable it is and how it disappears on my wrist. The balance is superb, best of any watch I’ve owned. My 1981 36mm DJ TT is lightweight and compact, but the new DJ is even better balanced - the Oyster band with the micro-adjustments takes seconds to adjust, and allow for fine tuning that minimizes the movement on the wrist. The case is also perfectly shaped to contour to the wrist, and the white dial and indices are highly legible. When you rotate the watch in daylight the hands reflect light at certain angles and appear almost black at other angles. The case is highly polished and reflects light as least as impressively as my old Grand Seiko with zaratsu polishing.

One other thought - the cyclops magnifier seems better proportioned versus my 36mm case. On the smaller watch the magnifier extends almost to the end of the dial while on the 41 dial there is some “air” between the end of the date indicator and the dial outer register. It seems less “crowded”, at least to my eye. Compared to my BB58 the dial seems gigantic. The outer ring on the BB takes a lot of room, and the dial itself is far smaller than either the 36 or 41 DJ. I didn’t realize how much that impacts legibility, but it is quite significant.

My “collection” is complete - the three watches complement each other well, and the design/execution have less overlap that I expected. Very happy with the outcome, and well worth the wait to buy it from an AD with full warranty.

If you’re on the fence about the 41 size, wearability or comfort don’t hesitate to own one. Highly recommended!
Old 22 October 2023, 09:17 AM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
You have a very clean nice-looking watch perfect for everything. The 41mm stated size is a non-issue for a 7-inch wrist.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 10:41 AM   #15
CKLinLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II Black

Its a classic look and sounds like its white disl will complement your blacks.
CKLinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 06:55 PM   #16
Kenwiin
"TRF" Member

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kenwiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 10:18 PM   #17
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. A classic choice. The DJ41 is not 41mm it is 39. something so it is not significantly larger. The Date Just II was a true 41mm.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 10:24 PM   #18
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Great choice to add to your other two.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2023, 12:00 AM   #19
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
It’s a great watch! Love my white dialed DJ! Congratulations!