The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 July 2020, 06:37 PM   #61
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Wear that Sub get a seiko for a beater lifes good.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 02:42 PM   #62
mac_135
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all of the responses, it is very much appreciated (and sorry I haven't checked back in here for a while).

I have been enjoying the Explorer over the past two weeks as a nice under the radar piece, and honestly haven't worn the Speedmaster at all. Someone commented about a DJ36 - as much as I want to love it (tried multiple times) it just feels so small on my wrist. I am thinking the Sub and Explorer are both keepers for now, and I may sell/trade the Speedmaster for something else. I want a grey dial, and I like to have one piece on a leather strap so I have had my eye on the previous generation Aqua Terra. Gotta love this hobby... Hope you all have a great weekend.
mac_135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 02:45 PM   #63
mac_135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetracer View Post
I couldn’t get past the fact that you sold your Seiko SKX’s.
You know, I thought it was a really cool watch. It just sat weird on my wrist and I rarely wore it. I am a less is more kind of guy, and I thought I would move it on to justify purchasing something else that I want to wear more often. Seiko has some pretty interesting pieces to fill the beater category, so I will likely pick something else in the next few months.
mac_135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 07:19 PM   #64
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Maybe just try the Speedy on a leather strap? There must be something there as you bought one twice?
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 08:29 PM   #65
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKay View Post
I know what you mean. The iconic and timeless design of the Submariner. In many ways it’s the perfect quintessential watch.
The sub is a very nice watch, but I don’t understand the suggestion that it is a timeless design. The current sub looks very different to the previous reference and bears very little resemblance to the original. And I’m pretty convinced the next iteration will see the lugs thinned out which will make quite a difference to the look and feel compared to the current reference.

Timeless for me would be something like the Royal Oak. To the untrained eye, the 15202 looks pretty much identical to the original 5402 from 48 years ago.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 11:13 PM   #66
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
Sounds like you need nothing more than the Sub. I wouldn't add anything.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 11:29 PM   #67
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
Thanks for all of the responses, it is very much appreciated (and sorry I haven't checked back in here for a while).

I have been enjoying the Explorer over the past two weeks as a nice under the radar piece, and honestly haven't worn the Speedmaster at all. Someone commented about a DJ36 - as much as I want to love it (tried multiple times) it just feels so small on my wrist. I am thinking the Sub and Explorer are both keepers for now, and I may sell/trade the Speedmaster for something else. I want a grey dial, and I like to have one piece on a leather strap so I have had my eye on the previous generation Aqua Terra. Gotta love this hobby... Hope you all have a great weekend.
I think that you’ve actually got a really excellent trio...I would not be so quick to sell the Speedy. The Sub and Speedy are probably top two most iconic watches on many lists (one for Rolex, one for Omega), and the Explorer is a consensus luxury everyday, everywhere watch. You’ve managed to distill it down to an all star threesome - congrats!
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 11:32 PM   #68
Napoleon
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO / Sub / Polar
It’s the perfect watch. You could be chasing that dragon a long time.
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 11:40 PM   #69
173rdabn
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Keep the Sub and bin everything else. No reason to fret over watches you neither like nor wear. Just my two cents.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 12:05 AM   #70
Xenon
Banned

Are we debating or dictating?
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 02:13 AM   #71
Plant
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36, Nomos Ahoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
I only wear and own my DJ 36 and although I like and appreciate many other watches, I’ve always wanted the DJ 36, so I just admire and enjoy other watches without craving them. I know that if I buy them, I will end up just wearing my DJ 36. Don’t know if that makes sense though.
I feel the same way. I have other watches I used to cycle through, but now if Im not wearing my DJ 36 Im basically forcing myself not to wear it.

Sad that I dont like my other watches much anymore honestly
Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 11:46 PM   #72
asisrich
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C Panda
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario1971 View Post
I have in the collection 116710 BLNR. Nine months ago I lined up for a black Submariner with a date to pair with my Batman. During this time, I repeatedly struggled with the thoughts of whether to rewrite the order for that without a date. I was even in my case with my AD. Unfortunately, this substitution will queue from the beginning. And Sub without date is so pure in its simplicity.

In terms of convenience, I think that GMT II is much more convenient than Submariner. This is of course my opinion in this matter.
I'm a bit late to this thread. But wanted to share my thoughts and suggest try and get the nodate as I have just recently gone through this.

I already had both the BLRO and BLNR.

Then I passed on the sub date and picked up the 114060 nodate. As others have pointed out, I do rotate as it feels different enough for me. I like the simple, symmetrical no Cyclops look on certain occasions. Its wears a tad slimmer aswell. But both equally comfortable. I do wish the GMTs had glidelock though.

Just my 2 cents....see if you can twist your AD to swap the sub date for a no date.

Sent from my SM-N9860 using Tapatalk
asisrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2020, 11:54 PM   #73
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by asisrich View Post
I'm a bit late to this thread. But wanted to share my thoughts and suggest try and get the nodate as I have just recently gone through this.

I already had both the BLRO and BLNR.

Then I passed on the sub date and picked up the 114060 nodate. As others have pointed out, I do rotate as it feels different enough for me. I like the simple, symmetrical no Cyclops look on certain occasions. Its wears a tad slimmer aswell. But both equally comfortable. I do wish the GMTs had glidelock though.

Just my 2 cents....see if you can twist your AD to swap the sub date for a no date.

Sent from my SM-N9860 using Tapatalk
During this time, I managed to buy Suba no date second-hand. Unfortunately, the lack of a date made my work life difficult and I sold it quickly. I'm still waiting for the new sub with the date.
Old 25 October 2020, 12:08 AM   #74
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

This post is meaningless!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 01:45 AM   #75
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
100% agree, makes me only want to wear this and not the others. Perfection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F3FBAE31-1413-4736-BCAC-3057E52B2384.jpeg (115.7 KB, 134 views)
Old 25 October 2020, 01:51 AM   #76
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Agree.

The no date Sub is THE watch to never have leave the "collection".

It's iconic, it's perfection, and it's timeless.

Lot's of watches can come and go and even if you only end up with one watch, it should be the no date Sub
Old 25 October 2020, 02:12 AM   #77
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Strange but this is my conundrum as well.

Current collection;

Submariner 124060
DJ41 Jubilee, Smooth, Rhodium
Speedmaster Professional
Omega Railmaster
Omega Seamaster Diver

Since the arrival of the Submariner 4 weeks ago, everything else has just sat in the box and stopped, only the DJ has been out when we went out for dinner. The Sub is so good I really don't want to take it off at all.

Now I am still very much in the honeymoon phase of owning the Submariner so have no plans to sell anything off at present but have serious concerns that the rest of my collection may gather watchbox dust for the foreseeable future.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 03:51 AM   #78
Big Sexy
"TRF" Member

HA! Read my most recent post...we have the exact same collection thoughts. Im scaling down to my no date sub, DJ41, and picking up an explorer.

Great minds think alike
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 04:02 AM   #79
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
if you don’t like or wear it, best to sell it. that’s what i would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 05:55 AM   #80
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
A DJ always makes for a good plan. Out of my Rolex collection l wear my 114060 and 16710 more than any. For a three hander its a DJ41 or Migauss.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 07:56 AM   #81
kenneth brown
"TRF" Member

I have read these post with much interest. I would not say my Sub ruins everything. I enjoy and appreciate all three of mywatches immensely. The Datejust 41 is the most comfortable on my wrist. I think the Black Bay 58 has the best proportions. However, I concede the Sub 126610LN is the one that gets the most wrist time by far. Grateful to have all three and no current plans to part with any of them. Hard not to notice how much watch one gets for the price of the BlackBay 58 relative to the Rolexes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E3589909-7F7B-4F61-9662-9AD0B79947E3.jpeg (25.7 KB, 104 views)
kenneth brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 10:45 AM   #82
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_135 View Post
I was able to pick up an 114060 about 3 years ago before the sports models went crazy. Since then, I have purchased the following watches:

Omega Speedmaster Professional (sold the first one, purchased a second one)
Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39 White Dial (sold)
Tudor Black Bay (Burgundy Bezel, Rose Dial) (sold)
Multiple Seiko "beaters" (skx + others) (all sold)
Omega Seamaster blue dial previous generation "Bond" watch (sold)

And finally, my latest purchase, the Explorer (214270) about 10 days ago.

It seems I always end up with no interest in anything other than my No Date Sub. All of these watches have been great, but I can't help but feel for the price and wrist presence, nothing comes close to the Submariner.

I am well aware many members here have more disposable income than the average guy (and myself), but for some reason I have developed a mindset of either wearing my best watch, or something I don't care about to an extent. I don't need a "collection" as I have realized I can only wear one at a time, and my life circumstances don't change enough to justify a box full of watches.

My latest consideration is to keep my Sub, add a DJ41 for a dressy piece (rhodium, smooth bezel jubilee) and some type of beater/cheap piece for certain situations, maybe a seiko diver?).

Anyone experience something like this? My current collection is the Sub, Explorer and Speedmaster, but I can't help but feel no attachment to anything other than my Sub. Am I crazy to consider selling the Explorer and Speedy? Funds aren't necessarily tight right now, but I just don't get the "wow" factor with the Explorer and Speedy. I just don't get the enjoyment out of these watches the same way I do with the Sub, and it makes me think, why bother keeping them if I am not attached?
Totally agree with you post. And for me, my sub, DJ and skx satisfy all my needs (and maybe even all my desires).
Old 25 October 2020, 10:52 AM   #83
Jim Beam
Banned

Watch: 116503
I'll add to the chorus of "keep your favorite and also get a beater". I love my 116503 but in some situations it can be a bit much. So I'm headed towards keeping that as my "nights out" watch and might get a DJ or Milgauss for everyday wear. Of course, the DJ I want has diamonds on the dial so that might be too much too. But, the point remains, I can completely understand why you would just want a two watch collection.
Jim Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 10:55 AM   #84
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
I got 6 piece colleczione (114060, 126660dblue, gmtBLNR, omega speedy, omega moonphase and jlc MC) I just wear any of them and it doesnt matter what occasion because I love it and most of the time people doesnt care whats on your wrist. Its a self gratification not to show someone what do you have.
-------------------------
*LIFE IS COMPLICATED IF YOU MAKE IT TO BE*
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 11:36 AM   #85
sgarrity
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Same for me except it was the Explorer that ended the search. Between that and my Apple Watch (I know, I know....), I don't really want for much. I might add some gold or a two tone at some point but the Explorer does it all for me.
sgarrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 12:05 PM   #86
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
Buy silver or gold as a hedge against inflation not watches.

I hope you're not a Financial Planner.
You can always tell the people who just got into watches within the past year or two. They truly believe that nonsense and have never seen the *real* watch market. They’re going to lose their minds when values trickle back down because they never bought for enjoyment in the first place.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 12:44 PM   #87
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
You can always tell the people who just got into watches within the past year or two. They truly believe that nonsense and have never seen the *real* watch market. They’re going to lose their minds when values trickle back down because they never bought for enjoyment in the first place.
Amen! In the early 2000s and early 2010s you could always pick up a pre-owned piece for substantially less than retail. In fact, grey market dealers were a great alternative option to pick up a piece at a discount to retail. Now going grey means paying exorbitant and absurdly marked up prices. Who would have ever thought that now the best deal in town would actually come from the AD?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote