The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 June 2020, 12:53 PM   #61
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
As I said, the Code 1159 is the worst thing EVER to photograph. I like the watch in person. So all the Instagram band wagoners really do not have a true perspective of the watch. In the end I love the watch and comfortable with my choice. I would say that most Code owners are of like mind.

Is this a watch that should trade at retail? Perhaps not- however the same could be said of 80% of watches.

I wasn’t criticizing the watch, I like most aspects of it, but not the dial. I really didn’t like your photo of the watch on a 100$ bill and specifically your comment. Felt so cheap and wacky response to the third “let the pic do the talking”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 01:19 PM   #62
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Honestly, other than the skeleton, I don't see the looks as matching the prices.

The dials look shallow and cheap to me. :(

It saddens me, because I'm a fan of AP, and want them to succeed.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 01:25 PM   #63
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector2019 View Post
Just the right post. I replied after reading your post, it wouldn’t have been necessary, as this post sums it up

Good to know I'm not crazy and someone else feels the same way

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Honestly, other than the skeleton, I don't see the looks as matching the prices.

The dials look shallow and cheap to me. :(

It saddens me, because I'm a fan of AP, and want them to succeed.
Same. I think AP is an awesome company and they really need another desirable line.

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority or not but I really love what they did with the Remaster and can't wait to see which model they release next.

P.S. Oh and I want to say that I have mad respect for anyone who bought a Code because they personally like the watch and don't care what anyone else has to say about it. It's always easier to drop 20k+ on a watch everyone wants. It takes another type of person to do the same on something controversial where the ownership enjoyment won't come in the form of oodles of third party validation.
phow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 03:00 PM   #64
JonnyBCisco
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 White
I’m in the camp of you would need to pay me a lot of money to wear one of these. Seems like most people don’t like the dial and the font... but I think the most basic problem is the leather strap. Big generalization coming up here so make sure the smelling salts are handy: people don’t want leather straps on their APs. They want integrated bracelets and rubber straps. Not this leather strap nonsense. Especially young people. I can’t stand the look and really wish AP would put their efforts towards something beautiful and distinctive.
JonnyBCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 03:02 PM   #65
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by phow View Post
Here is my opinion... I think AP did a lot right with the new Code. I personally think the case is pretty f'n cool and unique.

Where I think it fails is the dial. The dial makes the piece look like it could be a smartwatch at first glance lol. I think the font used on the numerals is way too modern/digital. If AP would have done the RO tapisserie dial with some slight changes for the Code, it would have carried the AP DNA into this new line and would have gotten more positive responses.

When I look at the Tourbillon Openworked 26600OR, I actually think the watch is quite stunning. But when I look at any of the other references with the current dial design, I have a very opposite reaction. That tells me 90% of the problem is the dial.

But as others have already pointed out, there is a lot of competition in this segment and I can think of a dozen other watches I would rather have. I really hope that AP makes some changes to the Code model line because I really want to like it.

Exactly!

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 03:04 PM   #66
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
I can never get a good photo - I give up - so I’ll let the watch and money do the talking.

Love it.

It looks great on the red strap.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 06:24 PM   #67
drhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBCisco View Post
I’m in the camp of you would need to pay me a lot of money to wear one of these. Seems like most people don’t like the dial and the font... but I think the most basic problem is the leather strap. Big generalization coming up here so make sure the smelling salts are handy: people don’t want leather straps on their APs. They want integrated bracelets and rubber straps. Not this leather strap nonsense. Especially young people. I can’t stand the look and really wish AP would put their efforts towards something beautiful and distinctive.
I completely agree, that is exaxtly what I think and feel. And the dial does not thrill me at all ... too boring.
drhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 10:45 PM   #68
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
You know these are going to be trading for pn daytona money in 30 years.
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 11:19 PM   #69
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Not my cup of tea.
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2020, 11:27 PM   #70
drhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jltait View Post
You know these are going to be trading for pn daytona money in 30 years.
In particular the pieces of the first series. But ... chances are high that I am already dead in 30 years. And, more importantly, a watch that thrills me today is worth more than the Paul Newman daytona money in 30 years
Old 19 June 2020, 11:47 PM   #71
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Here is a a review that I think is balanced. I will say this honestly and bluntly this is a watch that If you haven’t had it on the wrist for at least 15 minutes (I would say a week but that is unrealistic), you really have no idea- truly - since it photographs so bad.

https://monochrome-watches.com/code-...-review-price/

“ Code 11.59 is a bit like (a handsome) Harvey Two-Face. Depending on the angle, the watch reveals two different personalities. From the top, the case is round, with a wide dial opening and almost no bezel. Its lugs also appear pretty simple. Stopping the examination of this case here would be (extremely) reductive. This watch needs to be seen from an angle – which is actually the natural view you’ll have of this watch when worn on the wrist. And then, you’ll discover sides that are highly detailed, complex and even intriguing.”
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 12:43 AM   #72
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
Yeah you're probably right. It's not like the price would completely tank on a limited model like that. I like the RU Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
really it doesn't look good on pics at all. maybe have to search for a video that looks closer to reality.
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 12:58 AM   #73
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Here is a a review that I think is balanced. I will say this honestly and bluntly this is a watch that If you haven’t had it on the wrist for at least 15 minutes (I would say a week but that is unrealistic), you really have no idea- truly - since it photographs so bad.

“ Code 11.59 is a bit like (a handsome) Harvey Two-Face. Depending on the angle, the watch reveals two different personalities. From the top, the case is round, with a wide dial opening and almost no bezel. Its lugs also appear pretty simple. Stopping the examination of this case here would be (extremely) reductive. This watch needs to be seen from an angle – which is actually the natural view you’ll have of this watch when worn on the wrist. And then, you’ll discover sides that are highly detailed, complex and even intriguing.”
This is a fair point and true of a few HH pieces, such as the Patek 5167 and 64 which have many finer and subtle details and intricacies that are missed with flat macro 2D photography, however there is an aesthetics issue, as with all non-standard looking watches, which is purely personal.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 03:12 AM   #74
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:

IMO the case design is awesome. Truly unique (which is not easy).

I have a funny feeling we will be seeing some new dials in future releases. I have to imagine they have had some pretty cool ideas of things they can do with the tapisserie dial but haven't done so because they don't want to taint the RO line.

This is the perfect time to give us some new tapisserie dial that is a departure from the RO but clearly carries over what I feel to be one of AP's main signature design features, second only to the RO bezel design which they did incorporate into the case of the Code (and I think it's awesome).

The lacquered dial is a tried and true design but for some reason, it just doesn't work here. If you look at the Blue lacquered dial on a VC Overseas, there is just no comparison.
Old 20 June 2020, 04:08 AM   #75
drhk
"TRF" Member

I agree that the case is interesting, the lug design as well, and I also like the curved crystal design. But - and this is the most important point for me - all in all the overall impression is simply kind of traditional and old-fashioned. There are many folks who like this, perfect. But for me there are just too many retro-styled watches out there and I think the world was not waiting for just another arbitrary round watch - all the more after the hype AP made before the presentation of the new CODE models.
Old 20 June 2020, 10:15 PM   #76
oconnorandrew64
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona 1165
Agreed. Tried on in Singapore Boutique. The price is a joke.

oconnorandrew64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2020, 10:23 PM   #77
Timelessness
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST Blue
I feel that the numerical indices are the biggest problem with the Code 11:59. The PC and Openworked don't look too bad but the plain ones are just...ugly.
Timelessness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2020, 09:31 AM   #78
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelessness View Post
I feel that the numerical indices are the biggest problem with the Code 11:59. The PC and Openworked don't look too bad but the plain ones are just...ugly.
Definitely. I showed the watch to my wife in a way that only revealed the case and she thought it looked quite nice. And then I showed her the dial on any model other than a PC or Openworked and she had a very negative reaction lol... And she really does have excellent taste when it comes to design.
Old 21 June 2020, 09:34 AM   #79
Caramba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phow View Post
Definitely. I showed the watch to my wife in a way that only revealed the case and she thought it looked quite nice. And then I showed her the dial on any model other than a PC or Openworked and she had a very negative reaction lol... And she really does have excellent taste when it comes to design.

The good news for AP is that the dial is the easiest thing to change in a future updated series. And perhaps the name should change too.
Caramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 03:05 AM   #80
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba View Post
The good news for AP is that the dial is the easiest thing to change in a future updated series. And perhaps the name should change too.
LOL essentially that's a different watch
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 06:33 AM   #81
shkure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBCisco View Post

Fully agree. Moreover, its not sporty enough to be a sports watch and not dressy enough to be a dress watch. Too thick, dial too messy and asymetric, ugly date at 4 o clock, no lume. There is no cohesion between parts. Its neither here, nor there. Its the worst of both worlds.

shkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 11:23 PM   #82
Caramba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
LOL essentially that's a different watch

From a consumer perspective, yes. From a production perspective much less so.

Caramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 12:09 PM   #83
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

True. I would like if it would be smaller and a little thinner. Texture on the dial would be nice too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 12:21 AM   #84
Reign
"TRF" Member

Code 11.59

New CODEs. Much better disks and really liking the chrono. There’s a white / RG chrono too but haven’t seen official photos yet

Edit more photos and bunch of colors. Can’t side with the purple and red...

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 12:34 AM   #85
ModestCollector
"TRF" Member

Those dials are lovely. A game changer for me.
ModestCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 12:45 AM   #86
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
there is not a single watch i know of with a date window at 4:23 that i would like to have on my wrist.

there is no way that a different dial can make that aesthetic ok.
Old 2 July 2020, 01:07 AM   #87
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
Rose gold purple chrono is 10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
New CODEs. Much better disks and really liking the chrono. There’s a white / RG chrono too but haven’t seen official photos yet

Edit more photos and bunch of colors. Can’t side with the purple and red...

nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 04:31 AM   #88
Gentadesign
"TRF" Member

Wow, I went from not liking code 11.59 at all to wanting several of them, especially the chronos
Gentadesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 04:40 AM   #89
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
there is not a single watch i know of with a date window at 4:23 that i would like to have on my wrist.

there is no way that a different dial can make that aesthetic ok.
I totally agree! Too bad you can’t option one without a date window. The dials are coming along nicely, and their take on bi-metal cases is pretty unique.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2020, 04:44 AM   #90
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Pass. Not at this price range. Sorry. :(
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote