The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 1 July 2020, 08:18 AM   #1
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

15202st Variants

Hi everyone, I’m looking for some info on what the different Mark and Series differences on 15202ST mean. I can obviously see the difference between pre-2012 variants with framed date and AP at 12 and the present design, but is there any discernable difference or functional difference between Series J and K? And is there any difference between 15202ST.OO.1240ST.01 and 15202ST.OO.1240ST.01.A?

Thanks!
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2020, 11:54 AM   #2
Caramba
"TRF" Member

As far as I'm aware, AP doesn't officially state what is the difference between the different serials (eg. J and K). Given the number of years the 15202ST.OO.1240ST.01 has been in production, I can only imagine that they'd be minor corrections of slight imperfections between each serial.

The alphabetical letter that comes first in the serial number changes chronologically, where as the following numbers are random. This is in order not to reveal production numbers per year, and also is a measure against counterfeiting. Between each serial there could also be that manufacturing equipment has been updated, raw materials sourced from different suppliers etc. This would be changes the consumer doesn't notice.

When it comes to the A after the serial number, what I've noticed is that the very few examples I've found online that are being sold with that serial number are relatively new - but on the official website the serial number is not stated with the "A" in the end. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be any "15202ST.OO.1240ST.01.B". My guess would be that the A in the end is there to cater for a future planned minor but noticeable model update (B).
Caramba is offline   Reply With Quote