The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 19 December 2007, 12:11 PM   #1
AGENT4734
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Club Founder
Pros and Cons of Buying a watch from an online Dealer?

First of all lets get ebay off the topic.

My question is about purchasing a new watch from a non authorized online dealer. I have seen some great prices on their websites (i.e. authenticwatches.com) but what are the pros and cons?

Obviously you do not have a factory warrenty but they do give you a 3 year warrenty.

Are there any issues with these watches? Irregular or not 100% perfect?

Looks like I can save about 30% and pay no tax!

Has anyone dealt with these types of dealers in the past? Was your experiance good or bad?

Do you know of any ADs that discount this deep or that will price match?

Need so info... thats guys!
Rolex DJ TOG 116264
Rolex DJ Roman 126200
AGENT4734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2007, 12:25 PM   #2
CPCC
"TRF" Member

I have bought 2 watches from the web. One Omega seamaster chronograph titanium and one rolex daytona. The seamaster had a defect in the reset stem and would pop out of the watch. It has been at this online dealer for 4 weeks now getting repaired. I will let you know how it turns out.
CPCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2007, 12:27 PM   #3
Mrdi
Banned

Name the dealers to whom you refer.
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2007, 12:36 PM   #4
haakon59
"TRF" Member

This is a somewhat difficult subject with a variety of opinions, but let me take a stab at it.

Pro's
1. Prices are excellent
2. Allows you to purchase a watch perhaps a bit higher on the quality and prestige list than you could otherwise afford.
3. Many online dealers are just as honest as authorized dealers.
4. Grey Market dealers get their watches from authorized dealers, if they are "legitimate" grey market dealers that is. It's best to ask around.
5. Grey market dealers often add their own warranty.
6. The savings you get upfront is usually much more than you would have to pay if your watch were to break and you needed to send your watch to the manufacturer and pay for the repair out of pocket. So you still win, even if the watch is defective and you have to get it fixed.
7. When watches don't sell at full retail price, the grey market picks them up and discounts them until they do sell and you get the pleasure of owning a luxury watch but paying less.
8. Most watches when new don't need to be serviced during the warranty period, so it is likely to be worth the expense?

Con's
1. Since the supply chain has been broken, the chance of your receiving a counterfeit watch is much greater and you wouldn't have much of a legal recourse either.
2. The fakes these days are impressive and difficult to identify.
3. If the grey market dealer you buy from scratches off the serial number, which is usually hidden on the movement itself inside the case, the manufacturer will reject it and may confiscate it even if you pay to have the watch serviced later. (Although this was a common practice at one time, it doesn't seem to be anymore.) Mechanical watches normally need service every 5 years or so.
4. Even with a great deal like 30% off, if you did somehow wind up with a fake, imagine your feelings if you paid $10,000 for a watch which is only worth $300.00, even if it functions OK (which most fakes do).
5. The "warranties" which grey market dealers offer may not as valuable as that of an authorized dealer, depending on which arrangements the dealer has for repair.
6. Dealers are more likely to send their "rejects" and slightly defective or pawed over watches to the grey market than they would to one of their own customers who are paying the higher retail price.

Many people feel that once they can find an authorized dealer who is flexible, they feel a sense of peace of mind even though they may not have saved quite as much money.

Best of luck.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2007, 01:30 PM   #5
CPCC
"TRF" Member

AlanFurman.com and Prestigetime.com
CPCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2007, 01:49 PM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
A reputable on-line dealer, or a reputable walk-in grey dealer are just as concerned with their reputation and the law as an authorized dealer.

Some of their in-house warranties can offset the feelings associated with not having the factory warranty....working on a Rolex is not rocket science...

Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2008, 01:36 PM   #7
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Can anyone help me find a coupon or rebate form for one of these online watch sellers? such as Alan Furman, Authentic watches or prestige time?

Thanx!

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2008, 01:44 PM   #8
Bama
"TRF" Member

I just purchased a datejust from Alan Furman online. It should be here in a couple of days so I'll give a final opinion then. However, to this point dealing will Alan has been great. I speak to him on the phone and he has been very helpful in finding what I want. He is even trying to go ahead and adjust the bracelet for me before they ship it. I had heard positive things about them and to this point they have all been accurate.
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2008, 02:10 PM   #9
Texsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSGMTc
I too looked at Omega PO at authenticwatches.com, and were very tempted. The web site looks legit. Does anyone have any experience with this grey dealer?
Wife's SS WG MOP Ladies DJ Z series
Texsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2008, 04:43 PM   #10
CPCC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsubmariner View Post
I too looked at Omega PO at authenticwatches.com, and were very tempted. The web site looks legit. Does anyone have any experience with this grey dealer?
No, I have never used them.
Old 20 January 2008, 05:46 PM   #11
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Don't forget that the online dealers seem to have everything in stock. Actually getting what you want, when you want it, should be a plus.

Downside is, of course, that you don't get the AD experience. You don't get to closely scrutinize the watch in advance for QC problems. You don't get to build that relationship with your local AD.

Add swissluxury.com to your list--many folks here say they're good. Do a search for "grey dealer" on the general rolex forum and watchout forum to get multiple discussions of the merits of these dealers. AF and SL don't scratch off the serial numbers.
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2008, 07:15 AM   #12
NickTiming

Watch: daytona+ royal oak
ill never purchase from authenticwatches.com again,

they screwed me on an omega planet ocean seamaster

im now going with www.exoticwatches.net and these guys have dont nothing but greatness to obsesive collectioning!

hope it helps
NickTiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2008, 11:16 AM   #13
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Saw a guy at BB&B who wanted to have his Breitling fixed. The seconds hand pointed in between the seconds and not on them. He got it online, he was screwed.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2008, 12:16 PM   #14
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
www.steindiamonds.com. Guaranteed for life, discount for bank wire transaction, sells IWC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier, Tag Heuer.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2008, 10:51 PM   #15
NickTiming

Watch: daytona+ royal oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Saw a guy at BB&B who wanted to have his Breitling fixed. The seconds hand pointed in between the seconds and not on them. He got it online, he was screwed.
im not surprised. they tell you dont send it it the factory, and in case you do, dont tell them you got it from us..

i argued about this on an other forum and someone who works for authenticwatches (he wont admit it but ive spoken to him before) started to go a little off on me on these facts.. they are a scam
NickTiming is offline   Reply With Quote