The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 January 2018, 09:59 PM   #1
tkmc
"TRF" Member

114060 - Used vs New Prices

Im looking to pull the trigger soon, and I have noticed that used 114060 prices seem to be more than brand new ($7500)? am I missing something?
tkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 10:06 PM   #2
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Here in the UK, used prices are not far short of retail price, as a lot of retailers are selling SS models above new prices. Crazy if you ask me, but that's the way it is.
Old 3 January 2018, 10:07 PM   #3
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
Thank goodness I have mine. Get in before prices go up again!
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 10:47 PM   #4
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmc View Post
Im looking to pull the trigger soon, and I have noticed that used 114060 prices seem to be more than brand new ($7500)? am I missing something?
Yes....the chance to buy it cheaper. That was over 12 months ago.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 11:02 PM   #5
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Be patient. Before you know it stock will be back up and you will be able to get a deal from your AD.

ALSO, if the sub gets a upgraded movement with a 70 hour power reserve, prices will dump on the current model. The current model has a pathetic power reserve for the price you pay.
Old 3 January 2018, 11:14 PM   #6
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
In december 2012 I bought my 114060 online via Chrono24 with a 22% discount from a grey seller in Greece (list price at that moment was € 6.150).

The current list price (in the Netherlands) is € 6.900 but even local grey sellers offer them for around € 7.150 - € 7.500.

I'm very happy I bought mine a few years ago for a stunning low price.
Old 3 January 2018, 11:25 PM   #7
vincenzowl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
It’s a gamble. If there are new subs in 3 months then your new timepiece would lose a bit of value. If there are no new subs, then prices would just reflect current supply.
vincenzowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 12:12 AM   #8
dafuture
"TRF" Member

The supply on most SS Rolex watches has been pretty thin. You'd be hard pressed to find a new one at MSRP. As such, private sellers in the pre-owned market are taking advantage of this shortage and raising the prices on the ones they have available.
Old 4 January 2018, 12:18 AM   #9
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
Be patient. Before you know it stock will be back up and you will be able to get a deal from your AD.

ALSO, if the sub gets a upgraded movement with a 70 hour power reserve, prices will dump on the current model. The current model has a pathetic power reserve for the price you pay.
All these increased power reserves are nothing more than 'fluff'. 48 hrs more than enough.

If you wear your watch all the time it does not matter. If you rotate multiple watches it too does not matter.

If power reserve really mattered than everyone would have watch winders. They too do not matter.

aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 01:55 AM   #10
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
All these increased power reserves are nothing more than 'fluff'. 48 hrs more than enough.

If you wear your watch all the time it does not matter. If you rotate multiple watches it too does not matter.

If power reserve really mattered than everyone would have watch winders. They too do not matter.

THIS x100

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 02:17 AM   #11
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Is say get one from your AD once you can. No one knows what Rolex will do with prices or movements so get one (no way higher than MSRP) when you can!
DoctorA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 02:20 AM   #12
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post

I agree with you, I rotate mine often and while not on my wrist, I will put it on a watch winder - so 48 hours power reserve is more than enough. However, there might be other improvements to the new movement beyond the power reserve related to mechanics or materials. And you must admit (even though I am keeping my 114060) that the improvements to movement are always intriguing.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 03:56 AM   #13
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Quote:

I would readily bet you are not right. If 3235 models appear retail price would be at least 5 to 10% higher in comparison to 3135!
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 04:28 AM   #14
John Ireland
"TRF" Member

The point of an OP is that you don't need a 70 hour power reserve. All my Rolexes have been good off my wrist for 36 to 48 house on just the stored energy from my wearing them. Unless you are planning on being in a coma I see no need for a 70 reserve. And for non-self winding watches, the rule of thumb was wind it 25 times each morning or evening and you'll never have a problem.
John Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 05:33 AM   #15
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Come in guys. Every time a model gets upgraded the old model does take a drop in pricing. People will be unloading their "old" models for the new. Guys who buy the name on the dial also have to have the latest and greatest.

The power reserve means nothing to me either, but people want the so called latest and greatest. If Rolex adds a new "improved" movement into the sub line, the old models will not be as desirable......fact.
Old 4 January 2018, 06:00 AM   #16
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Instead of a wiggle test it’ll be a wait test.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 07:11 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Come in guys. Every time a model gets upgraded the old model does take a drop in pricing. People will be unloading their "old" models for the new. Guys who buy the name on the dial also have to have the latest and greatest.

The power reserve means nothing to me either, but people want the so called latest and greatest. If Rolex adds a new "improved" movement into the sub line, the old models will not be as desirable......fact.
It would need a design change that is widely applauded as well for this to take effect, just a new movement which can't be seen and a better PR will have limited scope for increased demand from even those on the forums, let alone the mass pop. And if the old ones are disco-ed then dealers will not reduce prices as supply will fall and they will push the rare and collectible spiel as usual, rather they will raise them, esp in this climate.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 08:38 AM   #18
karmatp
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=AK797;8158491]It would need a design change that is widely applauded as well for this to take effect, just a new movement which can't be seen and a better PR will have limited scope for increased demand from even those on the forums, let alone the mass pop. And if the old ones are disco-ed then dealers will not reduce prices as supply will fall and they will push the rare and collectible spiel as usual, rather they will raise them, esp in

I agree with you 100%. The 3186 is a slight movement tweak that cant be seen. It is 100% ridiculous that they deserve any premium over the 3185. The 3186 16710's were mass produced for years, yet people think they are rare. My local AD alone sold mass amounts of them, and that is one single AD.