The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 March 2015, 02:09 AM   #31
lefty1999
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXPII
Quote:
I agree with your comments about the DJ II to some extent. Definitely geared towards a younger crowd. I have owned a 116333 and feel that it is one of the best TT watches currently available. However, I am sure these "young" folks still care and respect the heritage of the Datejust. Also, I am another one for the DJ II to have the Jubilee bracelet. Really would have thought Rolex would have done this as this year is the 70th anniversary of the Datejust. Oh well, maybe for the 75th, or 80th.

As for the DD II, I personally really like this watch. To me, it is a great compliment to the DD and see nothing wrong with it. However, when initially compared to the pictures of the DD 40, I must say that the DD 40 appears better proportioned. We will only know this to be true when an actual side-by-side comparison is done later this year.
I honestly think that what held Rolex from offering a jubilee on the DJ2 was the DD2 itself and how the hidden clasp of the new super jubilee would look close to the president (if not better in some people opinion) so they held back and offered it only with the sporty oyster bracelet which was just as well because almost everyone agrees that the watch looks very sporty and modern in design
lefty1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 02:15 AM   #32
sunnyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: me watch you
For me, it wasn't the 1mm difference that I didn,t like, I just wasn't a fan of the size of the markers on the DJ/DD2. IMO they stick out too much on the dial.
sunnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 02:19 AM   #33
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Let's just say:

1. Rolex doesn't make mistakes.

2. Only Rolex knows why Rolex makes any decision.

3. Any attempt to assign a rationale to a Rolex decision is an exercise in projection.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 02:23 AM   #34
Ray6Chan8
"TRF" Member

Although i have not seen those two (40,41mm) side by side, I'm still leaning towards the 41mm DD2. No mistake on the design department as it appeals to a larger crowd with an alternative size but I'm not too sure about the impact on the secondary market.

Having said that, I'm very much looking forward to my first DD2. Whichever fits or looks better on my wrists. :)
Old 20 March 2015, 02:29 AM   #35
mmalek1
"TRF" Member

Watch: This one.
Looks great to me
mmalek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 02:31 AM   #36
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
so much excitement for 1 mm!!!
As mentioned earlier, I think it has much more to do with the design and proportion vs the technical measurement. Case in point, the submariner 16610 vs 116610. Technically no size difference at all, so they must look the same? They are so different, IMO at least.

I think we'll all have to wait and see it in person, side by side the predecessors to really have a gauge.

Who knows, supporters may change their minds, and DD2/DJ2 loyalists may all the sudden realize they want the newer versions.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 02:38 AM   #37
lefty1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let's just say:

1. Rolex doesn't make mistakes.

2. Only Rolex knows why Rolex makes any decision.

3. Any attempt to attach a rationale to a Rolex decision is an exercise in projection
1. oh Rolex makes mistakes all the time see how quickly they self corrected and brought the SD in 40mm size back .. notice they kept the deepsea because for its function its a technological master piece .. but as for the DD2 let me put it this way if you can bring 2008 back for them they will never release it in my opinion , they didn't go into all that trouble just to cancel it after a very short run in any watch time let alone a Rolex.

3. "exercise in projection" you bet I am projecting my opinion
Old 20 March 2015, 02:41 AM   #38
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
never have I seen so many people obsessed over 1mm. I think all the DD watches look good and would wear any of them.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 02:54 AM   #39
engin33r
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, Daytona, DD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty1999 View Post
1. oh Rolex makes mistakes all the time see how quickly they self corrected and brought the SD in 40mm size back .. notice they kept the deepsea because for its function its a technological master piece .. but as for the DD2 let me put it this way if you can bring 2008 back for them they will never release it in my opinion , they didn't go into all that trouble just to cancel it after a very short run in any watch time let alone a Rolex.
So you reason that because DD2 had a relatively short run that it's a mistake?
Paul Newman Daytonas also had a short run, were they a mistake too?

And unless you are an oracle, how do you know for sure that DD40 will be in production longer than DD2 ?

Other watch brands produce models that run for 2 or 3 years only... are they mistaken too?

Seriously, I'm intrigued by your reasoning..
engin33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 02:58 AM   #40
phatotto
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few at a time
Here's my "mistake"

By far my favorite, and I have had YM2's, DD 36mm, 40mm sub's, explor's YM's, and Daytona's .. for the record I love the size and the bezel... Also 38 and not a rapper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (55.8 KB, 369 views)
Old 20 March 2015, 03:03 AM   #41
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
The previous SD was also 40mm. In fact it was actually ~39mm, but like the Daytona and the old Exp II the diameter was 'rounded up' to 40.
The old SD was discontinued along with the old Subs, and the current model rolled out after the current Subs. Not sure what the 'quickly ... self corrected' was.
The Deepsea is a different model.
Old 20 March 2015, 03:09 AM   #42
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Mistake? I think not.

As far as the DJ line, it's all speculation until the next Basel. I wouldn't be surprised either way.
watchwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 03:43 AM   #43
lefty1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So you reason that because DD2 had a relatively short run that it's a mistake?
Paul Newman Daytonas also had a short run, were they a mistake too?

And unless you are an oracle, how do you know for sure that DD40 will be in production longer than DD2 ?

Other watch brands produce models that run for 2 or 3 years only... are they mistaken too?

Seriously, I'm intrigued by your reasoning..
Paul Newman Daytonas? you mean the dials that people later called Paul Newman and became collectable right .. other than that the Daytona evolved naturally through the years and gained in size also around 1989 or so.

lets call the DD2 a failed experiment how about that
Old 20 March 2015, 03:49 AM   #44
lefty1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The old SD was discontinued along with the old Subs, and the current model rolled out after the current Subs. Not sure what the 'quickly ... self corrected' was.
The Deepsea is a different model
they could've replaced the SD with a ceramic one immediately if they wanted right but it was "replaced " by the Deepsea which wasn't a big hit and after going out of production for years they surprised all of us I would say by bringing it back .. but in Rolex world that 4 years or so is very fast action
Old 20 March 2015, 03:50 AM   #45
engin33r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
lets call the DD2 a failed experiment how about that
It was and is still selling well, and many Rolex enthusiasts consider it to be their grail watches. Many happy and proud owners too. So how did it fail?
Old 20 March 2015, 03:58 AM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think the DD40 is a missed opportunity, it should have been 39mm, that way they could have kept all 3 versions and catered to all size wrists.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 04:01 AM   #47
borgan
Banned

Watch: BLNR
My Mistake

my apologies..

Last edited by borgan; 20 March 2015 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: incorrect
borgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 04:02 AM   #48
engin33r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think the DD40 is a missed opportunity, it should have been 39mm, that way they could have kept all 3 versions and catered to all size wrists.
Actually the specs don't really matter. It's how it looks on the wrist that matters. So even though they are advertised as 40mm, I suspect DD40 will look much smaller than 1mm compared to DD40. Just like the daytona, it's officially 40mm, same as sub, but it wears smaller than a sub.
Old 20 March 2015, 04:02 AM   #49
patek.wis
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
never have I seen so many people obsessed over 1mm. I think all the DD watches look good and would wear any of them.
ive seen people obsessed over 0mm

116610v16610

;)
patek.wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 04:03 AM   #50
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
1) I own a "mistake" DD2
2) I'm not a rapper nor do I think it looks garish

That is a beautiful well proportioned watch in my opinion and it is perfect as it is.
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 04:10 AM   #51
engin33r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgan View Post
[IMG][img=http://s16.postimg.org/dd9x0ewdx/image.jpg]

image hosting

screen shot on pc

when I wear it out this is how people look at me.....

upload pictures

[/IMG]

And your point is? I really don't get you posting an image of a bunch of black people staring at something (presumably YG DD?)

Are you trying to imply something here. Just say it dude.

For the record I'm not black.
Old 20 March 2015, 04:16 AM   #52
lefty1999
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was and is still selling well, and many Rolex enthusiasts consider it to be their grail watches. Many happy and proud owners too. So how did it fail?
I don't think we here at TRF represent the majority and I guess we know it too, the 36 mm still outsells it by a huge margin and Rolex wanted to make a DD (their flagship dress watch) for the 21st century that obviously didn't work IMHO
Old 20 March 2015, 04:27 AM   #53
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
they could've replaced the SD with a ceramic one immediately if they wanted right but it was "replaced " by the Deepsea which wasn't a big hit and after going out of production for years they surprised all of us I would say by bringing it back .. but in Rolex world that 4 years or so is very fast action
They wouldn't have done that before rolling out the current Subs - by which I mean starting (in the usual way) with gold, then TT, then SS (date and then no date). I always expected the SD to follow. As I said before, the Deepsea is a separate model. It was never going to be (or intended to be) a volume seller - but the 'Cameron' dial option has certainly done sales no harm...
Old 20 March 2015, 04:28 AM   #54
engin33r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't think we here at TRF represent the majority and I guess we know it too, the 36 mm still outsells it by a huge margin and Rolex wanted to make a DD (their flagship dress watch) for the 21st century that obviously didn't work IMHO
1. Where did you get the data on Rolex sales ? I would really love if you can give me the breakdown as I'm interested to see in comparison the actual sales figures of DD vs DD2 year by year.

2. If you think DD2 is such a failure, then the prices on secondary market would have reflected that. But no, the value of used DD2 is on par with other PM Rolex models. And if they're not selling well as you said, surely dealers will offer huge discount, much more than DD's discount. But no, the discount is more or less the same. How do you explain that?
Old 20 March 2015, 04:29 AM   #55
borgan
Banned

Watch: BLNR
no I just mean that when I wear my DDII people stare at me and its pretty unsettling... Its a really flash model.. that's all I was saying.. no offence to anyone..

Last edited by borgan; 20 March 2015 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: incorrect
borgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 04:39 AM   #56
engin33r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgan View Post
no I just mean that when I wear my DDII people stare at me and its pretty unsettling... Its a really flash model.. that's all I was saying.. no offence to anyone..
Old 20 March 2015, 04:48 AM   #57
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Quote:
Originally Posted by engin33r View Post
1. Where did you get the data on Rolex sales ? I would really love if you can give me the breakdown as I'm interested to see in comparison the actual sales figures of DD vs DD2 year by year.

2. If you think DD2 is such a failure, then the prices on secondary market would have reflected that. But no, the value of used DD2 is on par with other PM Rolex models. And if they're not selling well as you said, surely dealers will offer huge discount, much more than DD's discount. But no, the discount is more or less the same. How do you explain that?
I would tend to agree with item #2. I can't speak about AD's around the world, but according to my local AD's, the DD II is a great seller and in the past 2 years have outsold the DD on a regular basis. In terms of discounts, the same amount is offered for both the DD and DD II. My contact was as shocked as I that the DD II is being discontinued as it is one of their best PM sellers.
Old 20 March 2015, 04:52 AM   #58
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patek.wis View Post
ive seen people obsessed over 0mm

116610v16610

;)

Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 04:55 AM   #59
DubaiWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

I really think the amazing improvements Rolex have actually made on the new DayDate are being over looked by the size reduction! I think the fact that theyve added ceramic into the bracelet to prevent stretch is a huge step ! I want a Day date II but I just wouldn't be happy if I couldn't keep it forever as they do lose so much value and along with stretch a bracelet replacement is so expensive.
Now the new ceramic inserts I wont have to worry about the long term life of my bracelet!
DubaiWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2015, 04:55 AM   #60
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

The reason rolex is doing this is because they are preparing to release a bunch of womens dial options on the 36mm DD in my opinion

They did not make a mistake with the DD2 they are simply following the evolution of watches becoming larger.

Contrary to what some avid PP lovers here think even Patek released a 42mm watch this year and some 41mm etc.

DD 36mm will eventually be marketed as a women model
DD 40 and 41 are targeted towards the same market, 40 plus....young guys dont care about a day date function..and typically prefer a sportier watch.

Watches are getting bigger, its not a fad its the evolution since they stared out at 20mm for mens watches
sturgeon123456 is offline   Reply With Quote