The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 January 2018, 01:52 PM   #1
sub-eddie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Rolex Deepsea Clasp code

Hello everyone,

I have a V serial DSSD with a warranty card dated 10-10-14. I know the V serial dates back to 2008 or so. The clasp has what may be a random number that reads X4P instead of the expected PJ or LT prefixes. My question to you all is that could it be possible that this watch was released later such as NOS inventory and paired with a newer clasp with a random clasp code? Anyone have mismatched watch/clasp codes? Thanks in advance for your input.
sub-eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2018, 05:18 PM   #2
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Your rationalle is flawed.
All modern serial numbers are randomly assigned at the factory.
As such it's now impossible to date a watch based on a serial number or prefix.
Currently only Rolex has the information you seek.

If you like tbe watch and it's at the price you are willing to pay, then happy days.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 12:16 AM   #3
sub-eddie
"TRF" Member

What I meant to ask is that if it normal to have a V serial watch with a random clasp code on the bracelet since the V serial watches came way before the random serials on bracelet clasps. I was expecting my clasp to have been somewhere in the following range:

2008 PJ
2009 LT
2010 RS
Old 3 January 2018, 06:51 AM   #4
Dirt
"TRF" Member

The point is.
All DSSD watches have been produced since the introduction of random watch serial numbers.
That means it could potentially have any sequence of letters and numbers and can't be dated with any certainty what so ever.

Are you asking out of curiosity?
Or are you somehow trying to authenticate the watch because there's a genuine question mark over it?

Are you trying to date the production of the watch?
If so, then in this case your best bet is to go by the Dial variation in which case it will much more than likely have a MK III Dial based upon the date on the warranty card.

I honestly don't know about the clasp codes, and to preserve my sanity I probably don't care. Either it has a DSSD clasp or not.
To that, and based upon the date on the card it will likely have a Bead blasted textured finish on the inside of the recessed section of the clasp rather than the later fully polished finish.

I think you may be talking about a second hand watch?
If so, then also consider this.
Trying to accurately match the actual Watch serial number to the clasp serial number may be futile based upon general information out there in the wild as only Rolex will know the information you are seeking as mentioned before.
Also there was the odd occasion where one of the welds on the DSSD clasps failed due to a lack of fusion. This was happening rather early on in the production of the model and the problem appears to be well and truly rectified with no further reports for a good number of years now.
If the watch is second hand. It's possible the clasp has been changed under warranty if it was one that had a weld failure in service which may account for any anomalies with regard to serial numbers. Or it could simply be a Service replacement clasp due to accidental damage.
Again only Rolex will know.

For reference.
One of mine(Mk II) has E7G on the clasp dated late 2011.
The other(D-blue) has 6RT on the clasp dated early 2015.

Good luck
Old 3 January 2018, 07:23 AM   #5
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

I have a V817*** serial DSSD with a Mark 1 dial. The code on the clasp is OXC. I bought it new from an AD in 2010 and it is all original, so a random clasp code on a V serial DSSD is possible
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 10:28 AM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub-eddie View Post
What I meant to ask is that if it normal to have a V serial watch with a random clasp code on the bracelet since the V serial watches came way before the random serials on bracelet clasps. I was expecting my clasp to have been somewhere in the following range:

2008 PJ

2009 LT

2010 RS

During the transition from sequential serial numbers to random ones for watch cases and clasp codes, it is possible that a G s/n DSSD was paired at the factory with a bracelet with a random clasp s/n. G started in 2010 and random clasps in 2011. Not as likely a V s/n from 2008 was paired that way at the factory.

There is one possibility that an AD had a faulty or damaged clasp replaced - now that we’re full-on random numbering, I don’t believe they still issue service clasp s/n’s like in the past.

The inventory of midcases is not coordinated with clasp inventories. So it sometimes happens that transitions create unique combinations that only is WIS notice.

If this bothers you then perhaps source a bracelet with age consistent clasp code. Then sell your nice random one to a lucky buyer.

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 12:25 AM   #7
sub-eddie
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the information. My questions have been answered. Through extensive digging on the forum and the information you all provided on this thread, I was able to see that it is common for a V serial, particularly the 8XX and above, to have random serial clasps. JJ's thread "Let's see a pic of your latest CLASP CODE!!" has a few pic examples.

Dirt, you are correct. My clasp does have a bead blasted finish.

SteveDSSD, mine is a V980XX with a Mark 2 dial.

I just wanted to see if it could have been original and from the looks of it, it is.
Old 4 January 2018, 04:08 AM   #8
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 04:17 AM   #9
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub-eddie View Post
Thank you all for the information. My questions have been answered. Through extensive digging on the forum and the information you all provided on this thread, I was able to see that it is common for a V serial, particularly the 8XX and above, to have random serial clasps. JJ's thread "Let's see a pic of your latest CLASP CODE!!" has a few pic examples.

Dirt, you are correct. My clasp does have a bead blasted finish.

SteveDSSD, mine is a V980XX with a Mark 2 dial.

I just wanted to see if it could have been original and from the looks of it, it is.
Excellent.
MK II rules
Welcome to the club.
And by the way, the MK II dial not only currently looks the best out of the black variants but it was also made for the very shortest of periods and theoretically should be fewer and farther between.