The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 27 February 2018, 10:44 PM   #1
chrisca70
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you!
Possible 3186 design flaw?

Hello all,

I am not watchmaker just an enthusiast with a good amount reading. I just read a post by Mark Sirianni where he explains that the cal. 3186 has a problem with the date setting caused by a spring that may be too thin. Interestingly he praises the cal. 3185 which does not have this problem. I wonder if Rolex corrected this on the newer 3187...

I would love to hear the input of our CW21 forum members...

Link to the blog post
chrisca70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 02:13 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

The spring will be replaced during service, the stock one in the 3186 is indeed too weak.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 04:41 AM   #3
chrisca70
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
The spring will be replaced during service, the stock one in the 3186 is indeed too weak.
Is the replacement one stronger?
chrisca70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 04:46 AM   #4
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisca70 View Post
Is the replacement one stronger?
Yes, slightly different design too.
Old 3 March 2018, 05:51 PM   #5
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Wow. This is indeed an eye opener particularly someone (like me haha) waiting for the BLNR which has the movement in question.

While it has not put me off in the perpetual waiting list, it's satisfying to know that DJ 36 and others have the movement praised by the watchmaker.

Thank you for posting.

Sent from my TRT-LX2 using Tapatalk
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 06:04 PM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoniman View Post
Wow. This is indeed an eye opener particularly someone (like me haha) waiting for the BLNR which has the movement in question.

While it has not put me off in the perpetual waiting list, it's satisfying to know that DJ 36 and others have the movement praised by the watchmaker.

Thank you for posting.

I believe that later 3186 movemets are already equipped with the updated spring from the factory. Don't worry, it is a fine movement.
Old 3 March 2018, 06:09 PM   #7
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Quote:
I believe that later 3186 movemets are already equipped with the updated spring from the factory. Don't worry, it is a fine movement.
Man, you strengthen my faith in Rolex.

Whether you like it or not, you shall be known to me as the TRF High Priest.

Cheers!

yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 06:11 PM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoniman View Post
Man, you strengthen my faith in Rolex.

Whether you like it or not, you shall be known to me as the TRF High Priest.

Cheers!

Old 3 March 2018, 07:59 PM   #9
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
That is indeed the case. This was a known issue and if you hadn't heard of it, that's because it was something that happened to early generation GMT2Cs.
Rolex was fixing any watch that exhibited this problem free of charge even to customers that were out of warranty. When this was an issue, there were threads about it. Now there are none.

Today, this is a non issue. I believe the 3186 to be superior to it's predecessors, but I'm not a watchmaker, just my opinion from my little research and ownership.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 01:45 AM   #10
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Quote:
Any date range when this happened?
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2018, 11:32 PM   #11
RickB8960
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618/DJ41/BLNR..
I just sent mine off after having the spring give way, it is a very early BLNR. I'm hoping they fix it for free because it is out of warranty.
RickB8960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 01:00 AM   #12
RickB8960
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately, I just got word from the AD and Rolex wants to charge me to fix this. I am pretty pissed given that this was a known issue and Rolex even updated the spring. Anyone have any advice for me or any idea if I could contact someone? Thanks!
Old 30 May 2018, 03:44 AM   #13
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB8960 View Post
Unfortunately, I just got word from the AD and Rolex wants to charge me to fix this. I am pretty pissed given that this was a known issue and Rolex even updated the spring. Anyone have any advice for me or any idea if I could contact someone? Thanks!
Well officially your watch is out of warranty, so not strange that they would charge you for it.
Old 30 May 2018, 05:32 AM   #14
SearChart
TechXpert

Here's a comparison of the old and new(updated) spring that makes the hour hand click.
The old one is the smaller one and is significantly weaker.

I took this picture while servicing a 116710LN last month.

Old 30 May 2018, 06:05 AM   #15
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Wow- significantly different. Thanks Bas
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 11:08 PM   #16
RickB8960
"TRF" Member

I completely disagree. When a reputable company realizes they made an inherent design flaw and took actually made a correction in later years they should repair it at no cost. So you think automobile recalls should be paid by the consumer? It’s very simple, they screwed up the design and they know it so they should repair it at no charge. Period. I’m pretty pissed off actually and wish right now that Rolex was not my favorite brand.
Old 31 May 2018, 01:23 AM   #17
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
I completely disagree. When a reputable company realizes they made an inherent design flaw and took actually made a correction in later years they should repair it at no cost. So you think automobile recalls should be paid by the consumer? It’s very simple, they screwed up the design and they know it so they should repair it at no charge. Period. I’m pretty pissed off actually and wish right now that Rolex was not my favorite brand.
There are tons of modifications in current movements that most people on here don't even know about, not as white/black as "screwed up the design".

The updated spring is a bit stronger making it less likely to break, it's not like all the old style springs were breaking left right and center.
Yours worked fine all throughout the warranty period, yet broke shortly after, too bad.
Old 31 May 2018, 01:48 AM   #18
RickB8960
"TRF" Member

We can agree to disagree, as I've read of many failures, but it is what it is. No point in continuing to bitch about it, I'll let it go and enjoy the watch after it's full service when it returns.
Old 31 May 2018, 09:27 AM   #19
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here's a comparison of the old and new(updated) spring that makes the hour hand click.
The old one is the smaller one and is significantly weaker.

I took this picture while servicing a 116710LN last month.

Cool, thanks Bas. Does this spring now also come in the 3187, which has also had the issue?
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 04:36 PM   #20
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Cool, thanks Bas. Does this spring now also come in the 3187, which has also had the issue?
The 3187 is basically the same movement, just a larger baseplate and it has the paraflex.
Same procedure as the 86, repair within warranty or update/repair during service.
Old 31 May 2018, 07:43 PM   #21
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Quote:
There are tons of modifications in current movements that most people on here don't even know about, not as white/black as "screwed up the design".

The updated spring is a bit stronger making it less likely to break, it's not like all the old style springs were breaking left right and center.
Yours worked fine all throughout the warranty period, yet broke shortly after, too bad.
Are there any known service modifications with the 114270 , 3130 movement ? not that I'm concerned
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 09:22 PM   #22
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
Are there any known service modifications with the 114270 , 3130 movement ? not that I'm concerned
There have been some minor (insignificant) changes to the 31×× aside from the Parachrom hairspring in modern ones.
Old 31 May 2018, 09:53 PM   #23
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Quote:
There have been some minor (insignificant) changes to the 31×× aside from the Parachrom hairspring in modern ones.
would this be disclosed at the point of servicing if required? many thanks
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 10:25 PM   #24
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post
would this be disclosed at the point of servicing if required? many thanks
No, I don't think most people care that their blued screws in the large plate under the dial were changed from partially blued to fully blued including the thread.
Old 31 May 2018, 11:39 PM   #25
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Possible 3186 design flaw?

Quote:
No, I don't think most people care that their blued screws in the large plate under the dial were changed from partially blued to fully blued including the thread.

Bas - please check my understanding of the original spring longevity. You mentioned that it is replaced as part of a routine overhaul, right?

So wouldn’t it be expected to last up to 5 years in normal use? I get the warranty period had expired for RickB8960’s watch - but the redesign is more robust for a reason methinks.

So would an owner traveling between time zones often (and sets the hour hand more often) experience a failure sooner than the average owner? So a GMT buyer could be expected to cause a failure sooner, don’t you think?

I’m sure I’m overthinking this but inquiring minds, you know...

As an aside, if the spring redesign was a result of RSC repairs on the old one, then Rolex could do something like Apple did for battery problems on their 1st gen Apple Watch. Apple tripled the warranty period for that issue.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/28...airs-extended/

Apple began asking Watch users questions about using lotions, sunblocks and insect repellent. If yes, they got a new, better for free.

I’m sure Rick’s expectation (or hope) was missed by RSC. The $10 part breaking causes an early $700 overhaul. Escalation and sharing the knowledge that this part was redesigned might change the RSC attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?

Last edited by 77T; 31 May 2018 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: Add quote
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 02:42 AM   #26
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Bas - please check my understanding of the original spring longevity. You mentioned that it is replaced as part of a routine overhaul, right?

So wouldn’t it be expected to last up to 5 years in normal use? I get the warranty period had expired for RickB8960’s watch - but the redesign is more robust for a reason methinks.

So would an owner traveling between time zones often (and sets the hour hand more often) experience a failure sooner than the average owner? So a GMT buyer could be expected to cause a failure sooner, don’t you think?

I’m sure I’m overthinking this but inquiring minds, you know...

As an aside, if the spring redesign was a result of RSC repairs on the old one, then Rolex could do something like Apple did for battery problems on their 1st gen Apple Watch. Apple tripled the warranty period for that issue.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/28...airs-extended/

Apple began asking Watch users questions about using lotions, sunblocks and insect repellent. If yes, they got a new, better for free.

I’m sure Rick’s expectation (or hope) was missed by RSC. The $10 part breaking causes an early $700 overhaul. Escalation and sharing the knowledge that this part was redesigned might change the RSC attitude.

Of course the new spring is better and routinely replaced during service for a reason. And yes, heavy use of the function can cause premature failure, which should be fixed free of charge if it happens under warranty.

But everything that happens if the warranty is expired will not be fixed for free, Rolex is very straightforward when it comes to that.
Old 1 June 2018, 03:21 AM   #27
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks

I do think the 5 year warranty is sufficiently long enough for the majority of users. If the spring failed in the 6th year as Rick’s then some latitude might be afforded.

But I agree, the term is the term. Wish Rolex offered a RolexCare option to extend warranty for the gap twixt 5 years and the time of first recommended overhaul (10 years).

For a Sub that might be equal to $1000 - then if customer declined, no reason to whine.

Old 1 June 2018, 04:16 AM   #28
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Thanks

I do think the 5 year warranty is sufficiently long enough for the majority of users. If the spring failed in the 6th year as Rick’s then some latitude might be afforded.

But I agree, the term is the term. Wish Rolex offered a RolexCare option to extend warranty for the gap twixt 5 years and the time of first recommended overhaul (10 years).

For a Sub that might be equal to $1000 - then if customer declined, no reason to whine.

Rick is just unlucky as he purchased the watch before the 5 year warranty started, maybe the AD can do a courtesy repair or a heavily discounted service. An actual RSC will not budge.
Old 1 June 2018, 04:46 AM   #29
RickB8960
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rick is just unlucky as he purchased the watch before the 5 year warranty started, maybe the AD can do a courtesy repair or a heavily discounted service. An actual RSC will not budge.
Correct! Since it’s already in hand at the RSC I just told them to do it. I want my watch back!
Old 1 June 2018, 04:49 AM   #30
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Correct! Since it’s already in hand at the RSC I just told them to do it. I want my watch back!

Well they should do a fine job. Have you considered escalating for some latitude? Because an early failure, the service was required in light of the spring’s inherent design issue (I wouldn’t say “flaw” at the outset).

Perhaps a discounted fee?