The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 March 2018, 10:07 PM   #1
DanielBoncu2902
Banned

Dark side of the moon

Anyone here can share some thought about the watch? Im planning to go to Japan. Originally tried to hunt some rolexes, but found out the price nowadays is getting very unlogical.

So I tried to find some other brand. And i just recall that I used to admire this watch so bad.

I checked to some dealer in Japan, price of this watch preowned will be around usd7100 over there. Is the price good enough?

How this watch hold the value if i purchase with that price?
DanielBoncu2902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 02:10 AM   #2
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I look at it for quite a while already. That price preowned seems fair..
I was looking to buy from AD, but I just don't understand the price for something made of ceramic (the same material as toilets) priced at similar level as a bluesy which is half solid gold.
The look is amazing, but the material doesn't look substantial enough for that price. Will consider it once it's at least half of retail.

PS: good luck for Japan. I was in Taiwan and could get only 8% discount at AD. It Hong Kong it looks better, in the range of 20-25% off retail from ADs themselves. Preowned however, I don't think you'll find it cheaper than the price you mentioned.
It depends if you want the basic strap or with buckle.

PS2: and please post pics once you got it :-)
Chrislec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 08:12 AM   #3
Kilo Papa
"TRF" Member

You're comparing ZrO2 to porcelain?
Kilo Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 01:37 AM   #4
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo Papa View Post
You're comparing ZrO2 to porcelain?
No, not really.. I never mentioned about porcelain here. Though porcelain and ceramic are often confused by most people due to the same touch feeling - and the way they break...
If I remember well these are two distinct materials but they can have similar post treatments for the same application, but one is much more porous than the other.

Talking about ceramic, many bathroom appliances are made of ceramic. The original ceramic used to be made from terracota heated at very high temperature, and modern ceramic uses different components but the same process.

Just the perception that a ceramic watch has a "similar" material than ceramic toilets is... well.... less noble than gold, I'd say. Even though these are absolutely not the same materials because the watch is made of Technical Ceramic, which is not traditional ceramic.
Technical Ceramic refers for most non-metallic and inorganic materials made in the same way as ceramic. Totally different than "real", traditional ceramic. But that's how they are called. And ZrO2 belongs to that family of materials.

Let's save face and say the DSOTM is made with a material from the same family as the Space Shuttle heat shield's material :)
Chrislec is offline   Reply With Quote