The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 22 January 2019, 08:25 AM   #1
bestkepttime
"TRF" Member

Acquiring 6263

Hi,

I'm a fairly young collector that has been blessed and has collected well over the last 8 years along with inheriting some models like my 1655 from my father of who passed the watch bug onto me.

i have been forever wanting a 6263 and feel like i might do it soon. but will also have to loose some models maybe my 16520, ed white and great white.

what's people opinion is it worth in essence swapping maybe 3 or 4 watches for 1.

i feel like i might just have to do it for my peace of mind as its a dream basically !!
bestkepttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 08:30 AM   #2
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

It's a personal question. If it's something you find yourself wearing sparingly anyway...chances are you won't miss it much trading toward something you'd actually wear/enjoy more.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 09:04 AM   #3
Comex5514_
Banned

Watch: Military
I personally believe that 6263 is one of those watches that is worth swapping a few in order to attain 1. It obviously depends on how much you want it, however 6263 is a watch that I would put along side with Comex and DRSD.
Comex5514_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 09:08 AM   #4
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Why do you want it? Only asking because you are looking for feedback. What is it that you love about the watch? How long have you wanted one? How long have you been collecting? Do you really want one or do you just want one because it’s the “hot” watch of the day and you think it would be cool to have?
If the last sentence rings true, hold off. There will be a new hot watch that comes along soon. The money you can spend for a 6263 can get you some really cool watches that you may like more, not just so you can say you have a 6263
Old 22 January 2019, 09:38 AM   #5
watch-guy.com
Banned

I would do it in a flash

The 4 digit daytonas are stunning pieces are a fast becomeing grail pieces for most collectors

If I could have traded my smaller collection for a daytona when I was starting to collect, I would have a very healthy collection.

You wont be sorry.

You are trading away some great pieces like the Ed white and GW but my opinion is do it anyway

Julian
watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 12:44 PM   #6
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Go for it. My 6239 is a lifetime keeper. But you’re moving to a different neighborhood lad, step lively.
Old 22 January 2019, 01:35 PM   #7
michael23
"TRF" Member

Absolutely you should go for it. 6263s are the grail of vintage watches. Well, actually the Paul Newmans are the true grail pieces but 6263 non-exotic dial are the next best vintage watches, imo.
michael23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 03:37 PM   #8
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
It's a personal question. If it's something you find yourself wearing sparingly anyway...chances are you won't miss it much trading toward something you'd actually wear/enjoy more.
x2. The best pieces cost... do it.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:12 PM   #9
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
I like consolidating. That said I am not sure today is the best time to jump on a manual Daytona. Each to their own though.
Old 22 January 2019, 07:30 PM   #10
lupus66
"TRF" Member

Buy a vintage speedy.
lupus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 11:19 PM   #11
bestkepttime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupus66 View Post
Buy a vintage speedy.
i have and ed white.
Old 22 January 2019, 11:28 PM   #12
bestkepttime
"TRF" Member

Old 22 January 2019, 11:29 PM   #13
bestkepttime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watch-guy.com View Post
The 4 digit daytonas are stunning pieces are a fast becomeing grail pieces for most collectors

If I could have traded my smaller collection for a daytona when I was starting to collect, I would have a very healthy collection.

You wont be sorry.

You are trading away some great pieces like the Ed white and GW but my opinion is do it anyway

Julian
This is how i feel i'm glad people don't think this is a bad decision !! i felt like i may of need some added reassurance!
Old 23 January 2019, 12:10 AM   #14
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
I did exactly this to get my 6263, but the prices were not as inflated as they are now. If you plan on keeping it, then probably OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 12:44 AM   #15
ksing
"TRF" Member

You should definitely do it. Vintage Daytona's are just amazing and I don't think there is a ever a bad time to buy one. In fact they are still the safest and best vintage pieces to buy in my opinion. I have noticed many vintage collectors once they start having many vintage watches, very often in the end they consider selling them to instead have fewer but more expensive and desirable pieces (6263s, Paul Newmans etc).
ksing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 01:54 AM   #16
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
I love the thought of things always appreciating in value...

Looking at watches today few things feel more inflated and scary than the vintage Daytona. It is pretty much the last model I would buy if investing in watches. If you buy to keep it really doesn’t matter as long as you think todays price match the watch. Which I really don’t think as they pretty much cost like a perpetual Patek.

Each to their own of course.
Old 23 January 2019, 02:28 AM   #17
storm66
"TRF" Member

Not to sure
I’ve an Ed White,a Zenith Daytona,Red Sub and a few others (no great white though) but no way would I out them to get a 6263,don’t get me wrong,I love a four digit Daytona like the rest of you.
storm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 05:33 AM   #18
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
If you love the reference, get it. There's nothing like a 6263, black or silver/white. It's a jewel, an all-time iconic watch. If I could just keep one watch, it would be my Big Red 6263, and I always think a smaller collection with top pieces is much better than a bigger collection with less desirable pieces.

Sure, it's expensive, and the prices will go up and down here and there, but it ain't ever gonna be cheap, no matter how long you wait. If you buy with passion, not just as an investment, you can never lose because you'll have something you'll always treasure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day1.jpg (292.4 KB, 354 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 02:53 AM   #19
bestkepttime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
if you love the reference, get it. There's nothing like a 6263, black or silver/white. It's a jewel, an all-time iconic watch. If i could just keep one watch, it would be my big red 6263, and i always think a smaller collection with top pieces is much better than a bigger collection with less desirable pieces.

Sure, it's expensive, and the prices will go up and down here and there, but it ain't ever gonna be cheap, no matter how long you wait. If you buy with passion, not just as an investment, you can never lose because you'll have something you'll always treasure.
:d
Old 24 January 2019, 03:19 AM   #20
1665fan
"TRF" Member

I would think with those 3 watches it’s still going to take another 20-30k cash.....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 04:25 AM   #21
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
If you love the reference, get it. There's nothing like a 6263, black or silver/white. It's a jewel, an all-time iconic watch. If I could just keep one watch, it would be my Big Red 6263, and I always think a smaller collection with top pieces is much better than a bigger collection with less desirable pieces.

I’m with Aaron on this one.
Also a fairly younger collector. It took me a while to give in to the charm of a vintage Daytona, but man was I thrilled when I did.
The watch feels like magic on the wrist. The size, proportions, and feeling is just incredible.

Just like advised to you, if you are in it to make a return, it’s anyone’s guess whether or not it is a good idea. If you want it as a watch you will cherish and wear for many years to come, then non of the rest matters.
I for one have no problem what happens to the market as I don’t intend to sell it.
I always think in the back of my mind that things can change, and if I did need to sell it at some point and assuming the market is weaker, making a loss is worth the years of joy it would have got you.

I think Per(roh123) said it perfectly. I would steer away if it was just an “investment”.

Good luck with the decision!

theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 06:41 AM   #22
Mersey
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601 (dad's)
Agree with the comments. I wear my 6263 Big Red regularly and love the feel. It's not as heavy as the newer Daytonas or the new Omegas.
It's in great condition and love it every time I wind it up. It has the nice clicking sound and feel to it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8684.jpg (65.0 KB, 229 views)
Mersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 08:30 AM   #23
bestkepttime
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=1665fan;9287884]I would think with those 3 watches it’s still going to take another 20-30k cash.....[/QUOTE

i understand that cash is no problem...
Old 29 January 2019, 09:11 AM   #24
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflywrist View Post
I’m with Aaron on this one.
Also a fairly younger collector. It took me a while to give in to the charm of a vintage Daytona, but man was I thrilled when I did.
The watch feels like magic on the wrist. The size, proportions, and feeling is just incredible.

Just like advised to you, if you are in it to make a return, it’s anyone’s guess whether or not it is a good idea. If you want it as a watch you will cherish and wear for many years to come, then non of the rest matters.
I for one have no problem what happens to the market as I don’t intend to sell it.
I always think in the back of my mind that things can change, and if I did need to sell it at some point and assuming the market is weaker, making a loss is worth the years of joy it would have got you.

I think Per(roh123) said it perfectly. I would steer away if it was just an “investment”.

Good luck with the decision!

Well said! And beautiful 6263 (seen it before, of course!)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 09:36 AM   #25
jjmcd
"TRF" Member

Go for it! Here is some more inspiration...

jjmcd is offline   Reply With Quote