The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 June 2013, 02:48 AM   #1
Oldnick
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Deepsea running slow

My DSSD is coming up to it's third birthday and is still under warranty (I got an additional year from my AD) and is running 9 seconds a day slow. Should I take it in to be regulated or is this difference acceptable within COSC limits ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Oldnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2013, 03:03 AM   #2
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Watch: 116528
I would take it in. Not just because it's annoying but because there could be something wrong. It if just needs regulation, some AD's will do it for free even out of warranty. I think it depends on how good a client you are and if they have in an house watchmaker/tools.
Daytona-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2013, 03:16 AM   #3
Swift_Movement
Banned

Watch: The Throne
I think the cosc limit is 6 seconds slow a day. Take it in before your additional warranty is over.
Swift_Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2013, 03:17 AM   #4
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
COSC is -4/+6 sec/day.

I simple regulation will likely make everything right again.

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2013, 03:20 AM   #5
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Take it in. I would.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2013, 03:24 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnick View Post
My DSSD is coming up to it's third birthday and is still under warranty (I got an additional year from my AD) and is running 9 seconds a day slow. Should I take it in to be regulated or is this difference acceptable within COSC limits ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Well depending on how much power reserve is in the mainspring have you ever given your watch a full manual wind.Now although regulation is a very simple task trouble with the DSSD is only Rolex can do the pressure depth to the watches rated depth.So a 30 minute regulation normal job could take over 4-6 weeks to get watch back from Rolex.And even 9 second out of 86,400 in a day is not all that bad, try a full manual wind first and rest watch flat dial up.Now the most important thing with any mechanical watch is consistency so if your watch is a consistent 9 seconds a day slow.Then its still a very very accurate watch and all that's needed is just simple regulation.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2013, 11:05 PM   #7
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
I heard a mention that Deepseas have to go back to a RSC rather than an AD, for any work at all, be that a service or even a regulation adjustment etc - has anyone else heard this?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2013, 11:35 PM   #8
Director EDTF
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My DSSD was running +8. I took it to NY RSC a couple of months ago and it took them 3 weeks which was not bad. Now running about +4.
Director EDTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2013, 12:24 AM   #9
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Out of COSC limits and as Peter said you need special equipment to have it pressure tested. I'd prpbably have it done even if it meant sending it out. Maybe to NY RSC as Nelson posted above.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2013, 12:31 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnick View Post
No, a variance like that is unacceptable in any instance, it doesn't matter what COSC parameters are..

Too many people wrongly think that their watch is "supposed" to vary by -4/+6 seconds and it's OK.. -4/+6 are the COSC testing parameters.. It is not how you should expect your watch to perform.. Any Rolex can perform much better than that..

I'm pretty flexible, but if my watch is 5 seconds off, I'm going to spend a few bucks and have it regulated... Your "warranty" shouldn't have anything to do with how you want your watch to perform..
Old 11 June 2013, 12:44 AM   #11
Daytona-Dan
Banned

Watch: 116528
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
trouble with the DSSD is only Rolex can do the pressure depth to the watches rated depth.
Yes, I forgot about this. My local AD said they were given the option to purchase the equipment but it was over £25,000 so as it stands, the DSSD is the only one they can't work on in house. I can't blame them, it's a lot of money to service a watch that they probably only get a few of per year. By the time they get their money back, it will likely be time to replace it, lol.

Even though my local AD has an in house service, I have taken mine in person direct to RSC in London which is not exactly close for me. It's a peace of mind thing. So far I have had my wife's DJ regulated and a small speck of metal/lint removed from my long sold Explorer, all within warranty and while I waited without a booking.

If I were in your situation, I would call ahead and take it to the RSC for regulation and get it done while I waited (or perhaps while I grab a coffee somewhere). This business of waiting 3 weeks for a regulation is not good for the soul...
Daytona-Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2013, 01:08 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona-Dan View Post
Yes, I forgot about this. My local AD said they were given the option to purchase the equipment but it was over £25,000 so as it stands, the DSSD is the only one they can't work on in house. I can't blame them, it's a lot of money to service a watch that they probably only get a few of per year. By the time they get their money back, it will likely be time to replace it, lol.

Even though my local AD has an in house service, I have taken mine in person direct to RSC in London which is not exactly close for me. It's a peace of mind thing. So far I have had my wife's DJ regulated and a small speck of metal/lint removed from my long sold Explorer, all within warranty and while I waited without a booking.

If I were in your situation, I would call ahead and take it to the RSC for regulation and get it done while I waited (or perhaps while I grab a coffee somewhere). This business of waiting 3 weeks for a regulation is not good for the soul...
Well first lets be honest about the DSSD the depth its rated too will never be used by man or superman,same could be said about the SD.Today if any watch is tested to 200m - 300m and passes it will be fine for all normal water activities.And I would doubt if 5% of all the DSSD sold will ever see any water except for perhaps the odd shower or dip in the pool, so in many ways the extreme rated pressure test is pointless as a normal 200m-300m test would be fine.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2013, 05:31 PM   #13
nim

Watch: cosmograph daytona
-9sec a day is way off for a rolex
get it checked - might need servicing
nim is offline   Reply With Quote